Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

You know you could say that doing the class’s assigned reading will “make you a goddamn sexual tyrannosaurus, just like me”.

Or tell a student that “if you bleed, i can kill you”.

There’s a lot of useful quotes in ‘Predator’.

It's a girls' school so I am fairly sure I'll get yelled at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

edogawa rando posted:

It's a girls' school so I am fairly sure I'll get yelled at.

Worth it. :colbert:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

AlienTheory on YouTube is running a poll on which do you prefer: Alien: Resurrection, or Prometheus?

Last I saw, it was about 2:1 for Prometheus (kind of what I expected), but if it were Alien 3 vs Prometheus…idk. Hard decision on which one I dislike more.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

AlienTheory on YouTube is running a poll on which do you prefer: Alien: Resurrection, or Prometheus?

Last I saw, it was about 2:1 for Prometheus (kind of what I expected), but if it were Alien 3 vs Prometheus…idk. Hard decision on which one I dislike more.

Prometheus, if only because I saw that one in theaters. That might be different if I'd seen Resurrection on the big screen.

Hell, A:Re(eeeeeee) might be a fun watch at an independent theater if the audience was in on the joke. Not quite Rocky Horror, but there's some opportunity for props and more than a few badass, quotable moments.

drat, there's another idea for movie night with my daughter! A:Re before Alien and Aliens. Goes well with my plan for a Death to Smoochy/American History X double header.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Slugworth posted:

Hulu has a Halloween section where they've partitioned movies into Scary, Very Scary, and Very Very Scary. Alien is under Scary. Maybe if Ridley Scott wasn't such a bozo he could've made something Very Very Scary, like Anabelle.

Oh you can definitely go scarier than Alien.

I first saw Alien when I was 10, at the theater in the bigger town just upriver. It was awesome. Some months later, the rep theater in our town got Alien in. Everyone was excited, there was a ton of buzz around town. On the day, whole families turned out. There were a lot of kids younger than me, but the really bad stuff either happens just off camera or is obvious and over fairly quickly. But Alien was the second feature of a double bill.

And we had a problem.

The first movie was Cronenberg's Shivers. That's an incredibly hosed up movie. Terrible things happen and happen often. Kids were upset. Families with little kids started leaving early in the movie.

At intermission the theater manager came out and apologized. This was the one time he hadn't screened something himself before showing it. Massive fuckup, lots of kids left crying.

Me and my friends? drat right we stayed for Alien.

It wasn't as scary as the first time. It can't be. But after watching Shivers, very little would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQxcOJ0yEoY

If anything, the trailer undersells it.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Event Horizon is just as creepy as Alien, just a different kind of creepy. Both movies are good

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

mllaneza posted:

Oh you can definitely go scarier than Alien.

I first saw Alien when I was 10, at the theater in the bigger town just upriver. It was awesome. Some months later, the rep theater in our town got Alien in. Everyone was excited, there was a ton of buzz around town. On the day, whole families turned out. There were a lot of kids younger than me, but the really bad stuff either happens just off camera or is obvious and over fairly quickly. But Alien was the second feature of a double bill.

And we had a problem.

The first movie was Cronenberg's Shivers. That's an incredibly hosed up movie. Terrible things happen and happen often. Kids were upset. Families with little kids started leaving early in the movie.

At intermission the theater manager came out and apologized. This was the one time he hadn't screened something himself before showing it. Massive fuckup, lots of kids left crying.

Me and my friends? drat right we stayed for Alien.

It wasn't as scary as the first time. It can't be. But after watching Shivers, very little would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQxcOJ0yEoY

If anything, the trailer undersells it.

My introduction to Alien was reading my mom's copy of the large format Alien comic at maybe 8 yo. I seem to remember Mom telling me that her first husband and her were hyped for the movie, but the comic was available first, so they got that. She said reading the comic didn't prepare them for what the movie felt like.

Hooked, instantly. The next week we got the movie on VHS at the library. Of course, my parents had already seen it and loved it. They did tell me it would be scary, but I was more into the moving pictures than the tension and horror.

As I've mentioned before, we got Aliens from the library later. Caused me nightmares half-way through. Jumped over the couch during the scene where Hicks pushes up the ceiling tiles, peed a little, couldn't even think about watching it for years after.

Never let it be said that my parents don't have a sense of humor.

"You good?"

"Yeah. I love the first one... AHHHHHH!!!!"

"Hahahahaaaaaa! Oh. We shouldn't have done that. Are you ok? Yeah, that was bad. Time for bed [lol]."

Payback for all the poo poo I gave them as a little one.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

tango alpha delta posted:

Event Horizon is just as creepy as Alien, just a different kind of creepy. Both movies are good

Hell yes, loved that movie too! Extradimensional terror is always appreciated :)

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gonna hard disagree EH is Alien's equal on any level, but it is underrated imo

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yep. Event Horizon is fine and that's about it. Alien, on the other hand, is a loving masterpiece.

There's nothing wrong with being "fine." Lots of people watch and enjoy movies that are "fine," including me. But it's not at the level of a masterpiece.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I love alien. I must watch it at least once a year. But every time I do, I just wish they edited it just a little more tightly. Like when the chest burster pops out, they linger on the shot of the puppet just a little too long, just long enough for me to go hey that’s a puppet. Then when Dallas gets got, if they made the cut while the alien hands were still opening, that would be a lot better than making the cut after the jazz hands come to a stop, just cut like a millisecond sooner. And of course the Ash head jumpcut, they should’ve done like a quick cut to Ripley‘s face between the switch.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I think Alien is a better, more realistic movie, so incredibly grounded.

Event Horizon is a much scarier film though. Alien is just a slasher film in space, a monster who will hurt you. Event Horizon is about the threat of eternal extra-dimensional torment, preceded by horrific events you end up doing to yourself and those around you.

I love them both, but Xenomorphs are a problem you can ultimately solve with bullets. The stuff in Event Horizon is horrifying on an existential level, and we're forever only a razor's edge away from that hell dimension.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Not in Alien, it'd melt right trough your ship.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Icon Of Sin posted:

Prometheus, because it doesn't have the stench of Wheedon floating around it,

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Film is a primarily a visual medium (duh). Prometheus looks gorgeous throughout, Alien 3 has some nice sets but the boring costume design and offensively dogshit FX work drag it down ergo I cannot sanction its buffoonery. As for versus Resurrection...take me to the Prom, baby.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Event Horizon will always have a special place in my heart for the scene where Cowboy Curtis realizes he's on a Hell Demon Movie Ship and makes the objectively correct call (thwarted for movie reasons, but still).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My favorite Larry Fishburne scene was when they were all listening/watching to the horrible recordings from literal hell and he turns it off and says "We're leaving."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8YObV6i_Yc

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My favorite Larry Fishburne scene was when they were all listening/watching to the horrible recordings from literal hell and he turns it off and says "We're leaving."

The description of this scene in the novelization was :stonklol:

You’re not getting clipped scenes of various crew members driven to madness, oh no. You’re getting descriptions that I don’t really want to remember or write down.

Brief description: in Warhammer 40k terms, it’d be a Slaaneshi blood orgy going right

I think it’s the one by Steven E McDonald. It’s been ages since I read it, but I remember that scene and the corresponding part of the novelization being not a fun read. The part with Baby Bear going through the portal was weird in a way I didn’t expect, but it’s been so long that I don’t remember details (just the feeling that it was different to what I was expecting).

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sentinel Red posted:

Film is a primarily a visual medium (duh). Prometheus looks gorgeous throughout, Alien 3 has some nice sets but the boring costume design and offensively dogshit FX work drag it down ergo I cannot sanction its buffoonery. As for versus Resurrection...take me to the Prom, baby.
I don't like Prometheus the film but I like the films it could have spawned.

Emphasis on "could"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I wish I could find the version of this that had Spanish Fly music dubbed over as if it was coming from the monitor.
And I think it had Cowboy Curtis footage on the screen too, Not sure.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

If you were to self insert yourself into the movie Aliens, where do you die during the film?

Or, do you somehow live?

I'd like to think I'd bite it during the second attack, but most likely I got snatched during the initial encounter and bide my time till my chest bursts open....

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Yup, that's the immediate lead-in to the "gently caress this ship" scene.

Dude thought he was just a smart, capable astronaut in a man-vs-nature space movie and once he realized it was a horror movie made the absolutely correct call in the snap of a finger. Step 1 leave, step 2 physically destroy the demonic haunted house ship with space missiles.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

redshirt posted:

If you were to self insert yourself into the movie Aliens, where do you die during the film?

Or, do you somehow live?

I'd like to think I'd bite it during the second attack, but most likely I got snatched during the initial encounter and bide my time till my chest bursts open....

i'm the guy that escaped the colony by the skin of my teeth, desperately trying to survive in a hidden crevasse cut into the blasted terrain a few kilometers away, succeeding against all odds, and now i'm just trying to figure out why that marine dropship is hauling rear end out of here

Android Apocalypse posted:

Bare Bones Cafe & Bar is showing Alien, which works out for me as I wait for friends to get dinner at 7pm.

Alien is a fuckin gorgeous movie and there's nothing quite like it to this day. Just utterly timeless

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

redshirt posted:

Or, do you somehow live?

I'm a colonist who was caught so early I'm not even a visible host when the marines arrive; I'm already hived over.

If I'm a marine I absolutely die in the initial hive reconnoiter, I remember the kind of rule-follower :spergin: nerve-stapled dipshit I was when I did my Air Force stint as a kid, I'd snap to attention for Apone give him all my mags and tell on any troopers who didn't.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

I'm a colonist who was caught so early I'm not even a visible host when the marines arrive; I'm already hived over.

If I'm a marine I absolutely die in the initial hive reconnoiter, I remember the kind of rule-follower :spergin: nerve-stapled dipshit I was when I did my Air Force stint as a kid, I'd snap to attention for Apone give him all my mags and tell on any troopers who didn't.

Rat gently caress bastard

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Biplane posted:

Rat gently caress bastard

if you had paid attention to the mission brief you'd know that any damage to the coolant system could cause a cascade failure and furthermore... what's that a blanket party? i thought you guys didn't like me i'd be delighted to come

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Owlbear Camus posted:

if you had paid attention to the mission brief you'd know that any damage to the coolant system could cause a cascade failure and furthermore... what's that a blanket party? i thought you guys didn't like me i'd be delighted to come

*muffled screams

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

redshirt posted:

Or, do you somehow live?

Murdered by Ripley and Hicks when they find me hitting another snooze on my "Comms duty tomorrow DON'T SLEEP IN" alarm.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Changing the litter at Gateway Station Home for Little Shithead Cats.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I would survive just like Hudson did in Aliens: Colonial Marines -

oh wait they scrapped that plot lin-URK*

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Starved to death after being underbid by two assholes willing to take half shares.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ChickenHeart posted:

Hicks, sir. He’s Hudson.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

ChickenHeart posted:

dumbass is carrying a sword but slung a spear, behind his rucksack no less, so that if he tries to pull it out in a fight he's going to cut his own back up. that dude is DOA.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Killed instantly in a boiler explosion at a fuel plant.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Dove out an airlock to protest in any way contributing toward the film Alien: Resurrection

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Accidentally choked to death on my own foot shortly after leaving an interview where I'd been deemed "marginally too competent" for the Prometheus project.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

redshirt posted:

Or, do you somehow live?

I'd be bobbed lady in the bad suit at the inquiry, I go home to my fancy apartment and count my money, I forgot all about this poo poo the second I step out that door while Ripley's mouthing off to Van Luen.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
The Covenant, a sleeper ship transporting 2,000 colonists in stasis and 1,140 human embryos in cold storage, is traveling from Earth to the planet Origae-6, a 120-year journey as part of a mass exodus of Earth's population due to ecocide and the collapse of the biosphere. After only 7 years, a neutrino burst damages the ship despite its defense systems, causing a malfunction that awakens passenger James "Splicer" Preston, a mechanical engineer, 113 years too early.

After a year of isolation, with only an android flutist named David for company, Splicer grows despondent and contemplates suicide until he notices Katherine Daniels, a beautiful young woman inside a pod. He views her video profile and is smitten. He considers reviving her for companionship, but struggles doing so, knowing it is morally wrong and will circumvent her intended life of no longer being forced to participate in the film Alien: Covenant. He eventually dies when David "invents" werewolves or gremlins or something gently caress I hate both of these films.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I like the prequels as sci-fi horror movies, I think they have neat things to say and I think they’re well-made.

I just don’t care for them as Alien movies, I think their connections to Alien are unnecessary and exist as a detriment to both themselves and ‘Alien’.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah that sounds about right. As far as I'm concerned, the canon films ended at 3, and the rest are like What If? and Elseworld stories you get in comics being adapted.