Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Shameless self-promotion - I’m selling off some more physical media in this SA-Mart thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4046225

Some boutique stuff and other things that would be relevant to this thread’s interests I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Mac posted:

The question is whether you sort those numerical numbers alphabetically, or numerically.
eight, eighteen, eighty, eighty-eight, eighty-five, eighty-four, eighty-nine, eighty-one, eighty-seven, eighty-six, eighty-three, eighty-two, eleven, fifteen, fifty, fifty-eight....

Numerically is the correct answer.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Xenomrph posted:

Numerically is the correct answer.

And the *entire* number. Not by the first digit like some dumber computer systems.

So, The 400 Blows (even though it's spelled out in the French title) comes before 2001: A Space Odyssey but after 8 1/2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Curating a perfect 36 film collection of the best movies starting with each letter and arabic numeral

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Gripweed posted:

Curating a perfect 36 film collection of the best movies starting with each letter and arabic numeral
I'll start

• M - The Master of Disguise (2002)

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
A Space Odyssey

Wait sorry

Two Thousand And 1: Space Odyssey

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Yeah why is 2001 definitely counting as a numeral but not 400? Screw your head on straight, partner!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Are we ranking 2001 over 2LDK?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

GrandpaPants posted:

You're welcome, thread. I just got these on blu :(

New 4K releases or not you may want to return Conan the Barbarian, at least. All blu-ray releases of it (outside of of the Australian, I think?) have messed up audio tracks where several instruments are missing in the music mix. I don't know how somebody messes something like that up that badly but given the extremely high quality of the music it's a huge problem. The score is really operatic and without some of these key parts its like the equivalent of narration dropping out.

Very happy to see these Arrow releases are so lavish and of course will not have that issue, as the original mono audio track will be included if that mistake somehow carries over. Interestingly the streaming version that's been available for a few years doesn't have this issue, so presumably we'll be in the clear. Plus they're doing new Atmos surround mixes for these new discs which should be the best of both worlds (hopefully).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VS partner label releases this month:

Benny's Bathtub
The Christmas Martian
Fogi is a Bastard
I Blame Society
Journey to the West
The Killing of Bobby Greene
Pig Killer
The Runner
Shredder Orpheus
Top Knot Detective
Warm Blood

It's been a light few months honestly, but I still recommend I Blame Society as a feature and The Runner as a short/music video. The highlight of the month from the site is definitely still the Lost Picture Show boxset, which is back up for preorder

Also there's gonna be at least 5 releases on Black Friday

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Pig Killer sounds wild.

I swear someone here or somewhere on SA was talking about Benny's bathtub sometime earlier this year.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

wow they made a movie based on Robert Pickton. That's crazy. If its better than the Bundy movie then cool I guess?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/secondsightfilm/status/1720121982614741100?s=46
https://x.com/secondsightfilm/status/1720121987878535478?s=46
https://x.com/secondsightfilm/status/1720163141177524423?s=46

The encode being the only difference I’ll stick with the Criterion edition. I don’t need all the extra goodies.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

Does anyone know if the B&N Criterion sale begins tomorrow?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Tesh posted:

Does anyone know if the B&N Criterion sale begins tomorrow?

I loving hope not, I wanted to save up for the VS Black Friday sale.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Nightmare Before Christmas UHD looks so good, the detail really jumps out. I've mentioned it before but the format really works for stop-motion animation.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Basebf555 posted:

The Nightmare Before Christmas UHD looks so good, the detail really jumps out. I've mentioned it before but the format really works for stop-motion animation.

I don't know enough about how stop motion is filmed. If they're shooting on 35 as still film (film being exposed horizontally rather than vertically like motion picture film) then that would be a much higher-quality negative, with resolution akin to 70mm.

But I don't know how stop motion is produced.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

pwn posted:

I don't know enough about how stop motion is filmed. If they're shooting on 35 as still film (film being exposed horizontally rather than vertically like motion picture film) then that would be a much higher-quality negative, with resolution akin to 70mm.

But I don't know how stop motion is produced.

Standard 35mm, but the secret is they cut the aperture down to a pinhole and did a long exposure for each frame, up to 30 seconds each.

If anything, Mean Streets is exactly the sort of film I wouldn't want to look too "pretty" in a new restoration. The other recent Scorsese films through Criterion have all been knockouts - The Last Waltz, Raging Bull, and After Hours all look fantastic.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

wow they made a movie based on Robert Pickton. That's crazy. If its better than the Bundy movie then cool I guess?

And that’s the final truth!

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Egbert Souse posted:

Standard 35mm, but the secret is they cut the aperture down to a pinhole and did a long exposure for each frame, up to 30 seconds each.

If anything, Mean Streets is exactly the sort of film I wouldn't want to look too "pretty" in a new restoration. The other recent Scorsese films through Criterion have all been knockouts - The Last Waltz, Raging Bull, and After Hours all look fantastic.

Yeah the reaction people have been giving what is seemingly what the original film negative/intended look of the film as it was shown when it came out is supposed to be is very bizarre. It’s one thing to alter it for a new release because of a filmmakers new standard later in age but it’s another to get upset with its original presentation because it’s not what you as the consumer wants. I’ve never seen the movie before (home video or otherwise) so I’m glad this is going to be what Scorsese and Schoonmaker want and approve of.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Jesus christ that must have taken forever. Respect.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oh good it hasn't started yet

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Basebf555 posted:

If anyone has the setup, the 2011 3D conversion is really neat. Finally saw that this halloween, having depth gives it more of a sense of scale, especially the long wide shots like jack standing on the cliff in front of the giant moon.

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Shout/Scream Factory are bringing out a 4K HDR release of The Dead Zone, from a new scan of the original camera negatives. Extras include a new audio commentary with Mike Flanagan and Scott Wampler.

quote:

DISC ONE - 4K BLU-RAY:

NEW 4K TRANSFER FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE (2023)
DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
NEW Audio Commentary With Filmmaker Mike Flanagan And Eric Vespe And Scott Wampler Of The Kingcast
Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Mark Irwin
Audio Commentary With Film Historian Michael Gingold
Audio Commentary with Film Historian/Author Dr. Steve Haberman And Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr
Audio Commentary With Film Music Historian Daniel Schweiger With Isolated Score Selections
Optional English subtitles for the main feature

DISC TWO - BLU-RAY:

NEW 4K TRANSFER FROM THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE (2023)
DOLBY VISION/HDR PRESENTATION OF THE FILM
NEW Audio Commentary With Filmmaker Mike Flanagan And Eric Vespe And Scott Wampler Of The Kingcast
Audio Commentary With Director Of Photography Mark Irwin
Audio Commentary With Film Historian Michael Gingold
Audio Commentary with Film Historian/Author Dr. Steve Haberman And Filmmaker/Film Historian Constantine Nasr
Audio Commentary With Film Music Historian Daniel Schweiger With Isolated Score Selections
"Sarah's Story" – An Interview With Actress Brooke Adams
"Cold Visions: Producing The Dead Zone" – Featuring Interviews With Production Manager John M. Eckert And Associate Producer Jeffrey Chernov
Trailers From Hell - Mick Garris On The Dead Zone
"Memories From The Dead Zone"
"The Look Of The Dead Zone"
"Visions Of The Dead Zone"
"The Politics Of The Dead Zone"
Theatrical Trailer
TV Spots
Behind-The-Scenes Still Gallery
Optional English subtitles for the main feature

One of those films where I've only ever seen clips of the ending, but never the whole thing, so I'm hoping this release is of a good quality.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s not something I feel the need to rewatch every year, but it’s a very good movie.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://help.max.com/US/Answer/Detail/000002547

New HBO/Max plans.

Lmao. I use my parent’s ad-free sub so it’d be 1080P only. It’s just so funny to see these companies re-justify the need for physical media time and again.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Carpet posted:

Shout/Scream Factory are bringing out a 4K HDR release of The Dead Zone, from a new scan of the original camera negatives. Extras include a new audio commentary with Mike Flanagan and Scott Wampler.

One of those films where I've only ever seen clips of the ending, but never the whole thing, so I'm hoping this release is of a good quality.

Just watch this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-xz0z1gU1M

(apologies for the wonky aspect ratio, they were terrified of uploading old clips in 4x3 in the early days of the YT channel)

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Diabolik has the limited edition Andrzej Zulawski set back in stock.

https://diabolikdvd.com/product/andrzej-zulawski-three-films-eureka-uk-limited-edition-box-set-blu-ray-region-b-preorder/

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Heck yeah thanks for the heads up!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Maybe Barnes and Noble isn’t doing a November Criterion sale this year.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Gripweed posted:

Maybe Barnes and Noble isn’t doing a November Criterion sale this year.

Not until Monday!

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Also, Child’s Play 2 looks great and was a blast. Easy recommendation for any Shout sales.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Is anyone in the states still ordering from the Indicator sale? I really regret not getting Santo for $16 when i ordered. :(

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It’s sounding like they DNR’d the gently caress out of American Graffiti again. poo poo I’d hoped they might have learned their lesson.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Casimir Radon posted:

It’s sounding like they DNR’d the gently caress out of American Graffiti again. poo poo I’d hoped they might have learned their lesson.

Yeah that twitter thread is kinda incredible. Might be the most egregious I’ve seen ever before. Even more ugly than T2 and everyone in this thread knows how much I hate T2’s transfer.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Universal puts out some of the absolute best UHDs, so we can assume why this is an exception.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Casimir Radon posted:

https://x.com/sadhilldevan/status/1720943965439246813?s=46

Thread for example

https://x.com/sadhilldevan/status/1720945313962471723?s=46
https://x.com/sadhilldevan/status/1720946171416543601?s=46

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Well, that's incredibly disappointing. Of course it would happen to the one release I was really looking forward to. I might still get it but, ugh.

It's so weird that this keeps happening to it. I thought the version on Netflix was fine but admittedly I haven't seen any previous DVD or tape release of the movie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1720580395761062346

I can't think of a time when I've been more certain of a "the first one is very worth this, the second one is very not worth this" thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The second one is on youtube and yeeeeesh