Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

I just think it's a little unrealistic that 80 years after a major war that the defeated enemy forces are not only back but trying to act like they are peaceful now and influence politicians. Surely the people of the world would recognize these evil forces for what they are and not try to reason with or entertain them. Totally ridiculous.

That's the more realistic part of the show. In real life, people forget or try to change the narrative within a decade, much less 80 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
:thejoke:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Frieren obviously has no sympathy when dealing with demons but it's not like she went on a campaign to fight the remnants over the past 80 years. I guess she might be OK with them as long as they aren't trying to encroach upon human territory (with the Demon Lord being powerful enough to threaten humanity as a whole).

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Sorry, I have a terminal case of missingtheobviousjokeitis.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Maybe it's just me, but Frieren being doomguy for demon killing makes me less interested in her character, not more. This plot beat reminds me of Goblin Slayer more than anything, really, with her being the only one to understand the full extent of the threat posed by demons. I hope it's going somewhere interesting with it.

Also, the thing about demons being straight up sociopathic human hunting monsters is that they make for really dull villains.

For what it's worth, I think this was the weakest arc in the whole of the comic but it does a abit of needed world establishment. Spanning 2 episodes is pretty reasonably. I also think you are reading a bit to much into what other people are posting. Frieren doesn't have much combat in it and when it does it's primarily character or story driven.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Frieren obviously has no sympathy when dealing with demons but it's not like she went on a campaign to fight the remnants over the past 80 years. I guess she might be OK with them as long as they aren't trying to encroach upon human territory (with the Demon Lord being powerful enough to threaten humanity as a whole).

That'd tie back into the earlier discussion about treating demons like apex predators, if you see one casually wandering around a human town then it's already an emergency situation even if it's not currently attacking anyone.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
https://x.com/TopGyaru/status/1717928725134934016?s=09

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Frieren has an extremely long point of view. She has probably interacted with demons for longer than most societies in the setting. Her learning to just go ham immediately and without remorse makes sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

GloomMouse posted:

Humans have never spoken to, much less brokered a peace treaty with, an alien mind. We have however written a lot of stories about interacting with comprehensible but distinctly non-human minds, but it's really hard to do well because... we're humans and we want to see and write humans. It's just weird to see it while following around a DQ adventurer group rather than a starship. Peace of a sort seems possible, but not by treating them as humans with horns on.

I'm reminded of the 2010 scifi short story "The Things" which tells the events of the John Carpenter's The Thing from the perspective of the alien and it turns out it considers itself an "explorer, an ambassador, a missionary" whose purpose is to "commune" with other lifeforms by absorbing them, and when it realises that humans (the 'Things' in the title) are individuals who don't want to be consumed it is horrified and saddened and starts seeing them as "thinking cancers" and sets out to forcibly save them from their horrible isolation. From the human perspective it's a relentlessly violent evil force and the worst horror imaginable, from the alien's perspective it's just following its biological directives and doing the correct and ethical thing by consuming the humans and is acting with compassion and altruism.

Peace was definitely possible but the alien's definition of 'peace' is extremely different from the human definition. :v: Similarly, the demons in Frieren seem to have an extremely different view on death than the humans do.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 2, 2023

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, that story is great and I recommend it a lot lol. That Freiren has been a possible entry point for folks to explore good scifi like that and Blindsight is still kind of a trip

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Personally, I like this arc because I like when the implied bad rear end in fiction finally lets loose, which always makes me clap like a kid playing peek-a-boo.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Another excellent episode, and dear god are they going HAM on the fight sequences.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

This episode was amazing holy cow. Between this and Bocchi the Rock the director (Keiichiro Saito) is showing some amazing mastery of their craft.

Someone on the animation team has a weirdly specific talent for drawing people putting on/taking off coats :v:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Oh lord this episode

Fern walking confidently forward with her dead eye stare hell yea bb the animation on that loving sick.

The thing to keep in mind is that a lot of the fights in Frieren the manga are glossed over/just a few panels/whatever, so the anime going hogwild is soooooooo loving sick. They're really selling it. The things that made things work so well in the manga are all the characterization beats in the fights themselves, which the anime is preserving and building upon. So good!

The fight especially with the Linie the way they integrated her power into the fight choreography was so good. Swapping weapons out and using different ones great!!!

Baller loving ending.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 3, 2023

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

yeah this episode was loving sick and went totally hogwild with the animation

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

This episode was well animated and all, but it really examplified my issue with this series in the manga. Everyone just reacts to everything with a dead fisheyed stare.

Get impaled? :|
Watch your ally get dusted? :|

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

It was a stoic era.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Eh, scrounged up over-emoting faces are a dime a dozen in anime and manga. It's a unique aspect of this anime that works well with the unusual circumstances of the characters with some of them being literally inhuman beings.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

ChronoReverse posted:

Eh, scrounged up over-emoting faces are a dime a dozen in anime and manga. It's a unique aspect of this anime that works well with the unusual circumstances of the characters with some of them being literally inhuman beings.

I mean, there's over-emoting, and there's non-emoting.

I don't think asking for Fern to show some pain rather than having a calm conversation while impaled is too much to ask.

And neither Fern nor Stark are inhuman. They act exactly the same as the demons.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The way they translated Fern emotionlessness while fighting into animation made her look significantly more terrifying than in manga, holy poo poo. :staredog:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Deadeye fish stare is sexy

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, there's over-emoting, and there's non-emoting.

I don't think asking for Fern to show some pain rather than having a calm conversation while impaled is too much to ask.

And neither Fern nor Stark are inhuman. They act exactly the same as the demons.
We know Fern is kinda nutty, it's her whole character. You can see her slightly grit in pain but she's clearly on purpose displaying the calm expression. At least that's my read from being an anime only watcher. Hilariously enough, the part about the impalement scene that bothers me is how Fern isn't drooping from the impalement point; apparently she's as physically stiff as her personality.

As for Stark, I don't know what you're watching but he's the most expressive by far in the fights of this episode. Not the usual screaming contorted shonen fight face but still reactive to the scenes.

ChronoReverse fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 3, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

She was always pretty stoic and travelling around with Frieren for years probably hasn't changed that. I guess she knows there's no point in trying to appeal to a demon's better nature.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ChronoReverse posted:

Hilariously enough, the part about the impalement scene that bothers me is how Fern isn't drooping from the impalement point; apparently she's as physically stiff as her personality.

Wouldn't be surprised if she simply levitated there to make sure she won't get injured further by having the entire weight of her body resting on what is basically a blade made out of blood stuck in her shoulder.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wouldn't be surprised if she simply levitated there to make sure she won't get injured further by having the entire weight of her body resting on what is basically a blade made out of blood stuck in her shoulder.

Oh that totally makes sense as headcanon, flying appears to be a cantrip for her anyway and she'd totally do that just to mess with her opponent.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Can she still cast magic without her staff? Is it just an enhancer?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

She can do some, though it's more limited. You can see it in this episode where she can call the staff to her hand.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

It must be an enhancer. She literally retrieved her staff using magic.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Frieren killed that scrub demon totally staffless and could probably kill hundreds without one

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

She was always pretty stoic and travelling around with Frieren for years probably hasn't changed that. I guess she knows there's no point in trying to appeal to a demon's better nature.

There's no food involved, why would she get emotional?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If I met Frieren irl I'd be afraid because of how cool she is

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

ChronoReverse posted:

We know Fern is kinda nutty, it's her whole character. You can see her slightly grit in pain but she's clearly on purpose displaying the calm expression. At least that's my read from being an anime only watcher.

From what I recall, Fern was more emotive when talking to Heiter while still young. I'm sure the combination of having gone through so much as a child, then having her adoptive father die, and then spending however many years growing up around Frieren has knocked a lot of overt emotion out of her. For all of Frieren's knowledge, Fern is basically her mother most of the time.

But also, I assume that keeping cool, collected and in control are important to magic in battle. So she's possibly going out of her way to not show it so she doesn't feel it.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Fern's stoicism can be pretty easily explained from her upbringing but it is also just 100% the manga's vibe. Every single character speaks/emotes in that half-lidded, muted, matter-of-fact way and actual outbursts are so few and rare. I personally adore the tone as it's pretty unique among its contemporaries.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

fern has swag, sorry haters

https://i.imgur.com/rNrADLX.mp4

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

RuBisCO posted:

Fern's stoicism can be pretty easily explained from her upbringing but it is also just 100% the manga's vibe. Every single character speaks/emotes in that half-lidded, muted, matter-of-fact way and actual outbursts are so few and rare. I personally adore the tone as it's pretty unique among its contemporaries.
yeah, off hand, I don't think there's any weekly shonen series that's as "dry" (in a good way)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/Frt7q7Y.mp4

Stark also has swag... a little...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Fights: 20%
Food: 10%
Donning jackets: 60%
Intro and outro: 10%

Someone who is good with animation budges please help my staff is dying

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Didn’t expect the action scenes to be S+ class as well. Just looks so good

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

RuBisCO posted:

100%, my av is from is a very sweet, emotional moment for the character and it's basically the smallest panel on that specific page lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Finished the episode.
Fern’s stoicism is great. Makes sense when she was trained by Frieren as well. What is she suppose to do, scream a bit or something to sell it like a wrestling match? No, you stay calm. She probably wasn’t even that injured, probably protected it with mana at the point of contact and was just a surface wound.

The extreme stoicism just makes it better when Fern shows her deredere side.

Love every flashback with Stark and Eisen.

When Aura mentioned Himmel’s name, Frieren didn’t react much, but you can tell she’s pissed.