Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

sullat posted:

It was called "Bombardiers" and it was about a bunch of finance guys slowly going insane while having to sell increasingly bizarre financial instruments.

:tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

euphronius posted:

isn’t steam privately owned

yes and I think Gabe would have to die before anything like that happened. He’s got deep ocean exploring money.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

anime was right posted:

some lovely ones, the nascar video game one, the place that made neverwinter, and like some esports thing off the top of my head

Embracer Group ftw

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

also I’ve seen Victor Vescovo talk about the five deeps expedition. “I don’t want to talk ill of the dead” then proceeded to poo poo on the Ocean Gate guy for a half hour. tldr was: “if they aren’t classed run”, which is what I told y’all.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

there will be a civilization level crisis when Steam/Valve ends up in the talons of the private equity types
in this case, not likely. Steam is privately owned and afaik does not have Investors and Creditors to push for an IPO. Gaben makes enough money without converting his stake into public stocks and then earning money off speculation. they have an insanely profitable revenue stream without doing an IPO, and there's no reason they'd need to take out Investor Loans to expand or w/e

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

err posted:

it's pretty complicated now, i tried following a guide in this very thread, but i think i am too stupid to set it up

usenet was too complicated for my dumb dumb brain but torrents and a VPN are easy enough

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I don't know why you'd need usenet when thepiratebay and 1337x are still going strong

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yes and I think Gabe would have to die before anything like that happened. He’s got deep ocean exploring money.

He also throws money at neuroscience ventures

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

I don't know why you'd need usenet when thepiratebay and 1337x are still going strong

https://twitter.com/realCrackWatch/status/1687904388172705793?t=JgMgmxuYD2u-RtxfL7zuaA

Professor Moriarty
May 16, 2007
strong vs. Earth attacks

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

Legit thought TPB is an industry-controlled honeypot now, and just an easy way to get copyright strikes from your ISP.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

err posted:

it's pretty complicated now, i tried following a guide in this very thread, but i think i am too stupid to set it up

what gave you trouble?

there's a lot of components but it breaks down into a set of services(*arr, overseerr, plex, sabnzbd) and two subscriptions(one to a usenet server and one to a nzb place)

the *arr services connect to sabnzbd (or whatever) to coordinate downloads using your usenet server sub
- prowlarr configures your indexer (the nzb thing) and nzb client across services
- sonarr is tv, radarr is movies
overseerr sits on top of that to give you a nicer interface
plex sits to the side

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

this is gonna be the new "slip the cable guy $100 to give you unlimited channels", bribe your company's IT guy to set up your Plex and Usenet system

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Interesting read on SEO freaks and what they did to the Internet: https://www.theverge.com/features/23931789/seo-search-engine-optimization-experts-google-results

About 10 minutes, IMO worthwhile

loving parasites:

quote:

And most of all, Sullivan is pissed that people think Google results have gone downhill. Because they haven’t, he insisted. If anything, search results have gotten a lot better over time. Anyone who thought search quality was worse needed to take a hard look in the mirror.

“We have an entire generation that grew up expecting the search box to do the work for them,” he said. “We might do a better job of matching for a bulk of people, but for people who are super sensitive, when they have that fail moment, now it becomes, ‘All my searches aren’t good.’”

The problem was not Google. The problem was not SEOs. The problem was kids these days.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SKULL.GIF posted:

Interesting read on SEO freaks and what they did to the Internet: https://www.theverge.com/features/23931789/seo-search-engine-optimization-experts-google-results

loving parasites:

i did a search for a very basic thing today which was "when did x start using palm oil" with ten different variations and all of the info i got was:
- companies who were clearly palm oil lobbyists with a "im a smol bean" website
- news articles talking about how palm oil is destroying our environment, but its getting better actually!
- a few sites/articles on why palm oil is just bad

and literally:
- nothing related to the query i asked for

it took me digging through like an article 3 pages in to find out companies started using it in the 90s because of trans fats in vegetable shortening... and no other info about the adoption of it by any companies at all or what food replaced stuff with palm oil

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

anime was right posted:

i did a search for a very basic thing today which was "when did x start using palm oil" with ten different variations and all of the info i got was:
- companies who were clearly palm oil lobbyists with a "im a smol bean" website
- news articles talking about how palm oil is destroying our environment, but its getting better actually!
- a few sites/articles on why palm oil is just bad

and literally:
- nothing related to the query i asked for

it took me digging through like an article 3 pages in to find out companies started using it in the 90s because of trans fats in vegetable shortening... and no other info about the adoption of it by any companies at all or what food replaced stuff with palm oil

Try "palm oil reddit"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Asada fries from the taco truck are now 14 bucks, up from 13, which was up from 11.

No inflation!

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Gunshow Poophole posted:

there will be a civilization level crisis when Steam/Valve ends up in the talons of the private equity types

I remember when Steam first came about people hated it. You don't own the games, just rent access to them. No physical media. If your internet connection goes down you can't play. Etc. etc.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I remember when Steam first came about people hated it. You don't own the games, just rent access to them. No physical media. If your internet connection goes down you can't play. Etc. etc.

Steam back then was also horribly, notoriously unreliable. A lot of the complaints died down once they achieved near-perpetual uptime.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
ive been on steam since the closed beta and it's pretty much always been fine

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/gurgavin/status/1720547159496442254

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Bar Ran Dun posted:

maersk bought a bunch of CFS locations and could storage facilities and does some transloading and storage / handling. bet these are mostly there. it’s about the only employee heavy thing that do. they’ll automate rather than rehiring when they need to expand again.

they also bought an expedite carrier and their facilities to help with their e-commerce strategy.

Maersk loving sucks to work with.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I am starting to wonder if NFTs were a scam this entire time

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I subscribed to Max to watch The Last of Us and then canceled. I will subscribe again to watch True Detective season 4 and The Last of Us 2 and then cancel again. I imagine this is becoming more and more common as the streaming landscape gets more fractured and expensive, and I don't think there is any way these streaming services will be able to keep up with the churn.

How long until they make you call a phone number wait 40 minutes on hold and then harangue you before they let you cancel.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

sonatinas posted:

Maersk loving sucks to work with.

yep I have seen that. they love that COGAS limitation too when they gently caress up. or better they gently caress up and then charge out the rear end for demurrage.

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

this is gonna be the new "slip the cable guy $100 to give you unlimited channels", bribe your company's IT guy to set up your Plex and Usenet system

I have a Plex and I share it with my friends and family and i call it Uninterrupted's Sketchy Streaming Service . I paid some dude on fiver to make some logos and brand artwork for it, and I'll randomly send out emails to everyone being like "Uninterrupted's Sketchy Streaming Service will experience schedule downtime from 12 to 1 am" if I've gotta to maintenance or "we apologize for the degraded service" if I get drunk and accidentally unplug something or send out stupid lil surveys to see what people want me to add. It's goofy as hell but it's like the Germans who play those farm tractor sims or dudes who have model trains in their basement except it also means my friends can stream SVU and the office for free

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Xaris posted:

in this case, not likely. Steam is privately owned and afaik does not have Investors and Creditors to push for an IPO. Gaben makes enough money without converting his stake into public stocks and then earning money off speculation. they have an insanely profitable revenue stream without doing an IPO, and there's no reason they'd need to take out Investor Loans to expand or w/e

eventually Gabe will be lost in a deep sea submarine accident, his failsons will sell their shares, and enshittification will begin to take hold

maybe not today, maybe not five years from now, but it is inevitable

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

One of the only cool things about the HBO Max app was that it had all of the info about major cast and crew kind of integrated into each title and under each movie there would be Related Content where sometimes they would have directors cuts of movies or deleted scenes.

all that poo poo got cut in MAX lol

it's incredible how hostile HBO has become to its customers under the WBD Zaslav regime

the guy must just really, REALLY hate people being entertained and enjoying themselves

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Vox Nihili posted:

eventually Gabe will be lost in a deep sea submarine accident, his failsons will sell their shares, and enshittification will begin to take hold

maybe not today, maybe not five years from now, but it is inevitable

the only sub gabe's getting lost in is from jersey mikes

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Vox Nihili posted:

it's incredible how hostile HBO has become to its customers under the WBD Zaslav regime

the guy must just really, REALLY hate people being entertained and enjoying themselves

Why be nice to the piggies when they just keep coming back for more regardless of how you treat them?

Reduce features, raise prices, delete content. Subscriber counts still go up, just look at Netflix.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

anime was right posted:

the only sub gabe's getting lost in is from jersey mikes

that and the DSV Limiting Factor

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Microsoft has begun advertising to me inside Windows itself over the past year and I can't help but trace a direct line between ZIRP and this change.

yeah it told me i would love the game deathloop during a presentation the other day.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1720508659090722903

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

eventually Gabe will be lost in a deep sea submarine accident

Gabe isn’t using the sub apparently, he’s just paying for the exploration to occur.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Gabe isn’t using the sub apparently, he’s just paying for the exploration to occur.

the mental image is a lot funnier if he is the one piloting it so I'm going to continue to assume it's actually him

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

SKULL.GIF posted:

loving parasites:

quote:

After all, a lot of folks are unhappy, in 2023, with their ability to find information on the internet, which, for almost everyone, means the quality of Google Search results.

I feel like this could use a few more commas.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

quote:

Ray reassured me that I was not crazy. Google results today do feel different from how they felt just five or six years ago for two major reasons. The first was Google’s response to the disinformation panic around the 2016 election, which involved questioning the notion that the most reliable information could be chosen by a form of popularity, meaning how many links a site received from other sites. As a result, the algorithm seemed to change its approach to links, especially when it came to news and sites offering legal, financial, or health advice, and instead paid more attention to what Google came to call E-E-A-T: experience, expertise, authoritativeness, and trustworthiness.

“E-E-A-T has had a pretty big impact on what types of results you see,” Ray told me. She’s done extensive (and fascinating) research around how certain sites have fared under these new guidelines: Urban Dictionary, down! Mayo Clinic, up! Some people consider EEAT part of what’s making results better than ever. Others see it as a form of censorship, disproportionately affecting right-wing perspectives. Not every search query takes EEAT into account; Google has described heightened concern over sites that could impact safety, happiness, and the ability to be an informed citizen. But the point that really hit me was that for certain kinds of information, Google had undone one of the fundamental elements of what had made its results so appealing from the start. Now, instead of wild-west crowdsourcing, search was often reinforcing institutional authority.
Seems possible. Yet another institutional casualty of shitlibs losing their minds post-2016 and buying into their own cope about Russian/online disinformation being the cause.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Markets seem happy about something this week - S&P is up 6% this week, 15% for the year

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

it's mostly the fed rate stuff

also starting to look like there may not be a wider war around what Israel is doing in Gaza but we will see on that one

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

the mental image is a lot funnier if he is the one piloting it so I'm going to continue to assume it's actually him

he uses a steam controller to steer

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

LuxuryLarva posted:

I looked at the stock market today and now I know what war is good for.

This is unironically the Biden White House right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzvfY0d7kGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
You can look at almost any industry right now and see businesses crumbling in slow motion, it’s wild. Liquidity is just bone dry right now. Tumbleweeds.

They’ll probably give up and start the pump again but inflation would get substantially worse. Many consumers are already at their limits re: price increases.

2024 is going to be a wild loving year.