Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/MEASURED_HEAD/status/1720474362606747850

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

lol came here to post this

amazing things are happening in china

https://twitter.com/BertChintez/status/1719802687921750359

https://twitter.com/BertChintez/status/1719302299976151474

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Adam's dub sounds so much like his voice that I'm wondering if there's some joke here that I'm missing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Yeah, is there some sort of AI thing that can do this now? Or is there some Chinese-speaking person out there who sounds identical to Adam Friedland

Cael posted:

I just hate that because that 5 minutes of (potentially) great riffing is so buried that nobody can find it. There used to constantly be new clips being uploaded on Youtube, now barely anything unless it’s something like the cold opens. Someone elsewhere mentioned the “billy bees steak” and not being able to find the episode, and I couldn’t either and goddamn I just want to hear about the billy bees. 2 years ago you’d have five “Cum Town: Billy Bees” vids to pick from.

Yeah, bits I've listened to on Youtube are incredibly funny, but the actual episodes just aren't that fun to listen to for me.

Ytlaya has issued a correction as of 21:19 on Nov 3, 2023

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The joke is some hilarious white dude from Reddit made them

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Ytlaya posted:

^^^ Yeah, is there some sort of AI thing that can do this now? Or is there some Chinese-speaking person out there who sounds identical to Adam Friedland

Yeah, it’s an AI thing

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yall into how did this get made????

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
Who are your guys maaaaaaaan?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
they should repalce the entire podcast with the AI

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

did y'all suckers buy the book

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

An Apple A Gay posted:

Chapo guide to revolution? I gave a copy to my dad lmao

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

they play The Adam Friedland show in prime time on Chinese state media tv

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

An Apple A Gay posted:

yeah. I regretted it a hell of a lot less than the Dollop book.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Samuel Glompers posted:

My dad's review was "boy these guys just don't like anybody!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Al! posted:

no, it's not funny enough, nor does it actually go into how the films got made. (for that, listen to Blank Check)

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
I hope Nick sees the Chinese dub, it'll make him so happy

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
the chapo guide to being gay

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

My dad's review was "boy these guys just don't like anybody!"

I was told "I'm learning about them libs" and then he lost interest. Fair enough IMO

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Gripweed posted:

yeah. I regretted it a hell of a lot less than the Dollop book.

They did a book?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Wemus posted:

They did a book?

yeah it was just really short summaries of the more popular episodes. It's terrible.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Oh boy wait until you get to the 90s. Get this, Bill Clinto is a waffle!!! Lololol

realistically, I won’t

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
curious on the sales figures for podcast books in regards to the ratio for print and audiobook sales

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Dr. Killjoy posted:

curious on the sales figures for podcast books in regards to the ratio for print and audiobook sales

musta been good enough for amber to quit and become a writer

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Gripweed posted:

yeah it was just really short summaries of the more popular episodes. It's terrible.

lol a podcast that replaces books putting out a book sure is a loving emblem

Samuel Glompers posted:

I pirated it :smug:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Does anybody have that video of AI Joe Biden reading the Rupi Kaur poem about getting fingered?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Al! posted:

HDTGM before they switched to majority live episodes is still a good run, even if repetitive / too reliant on just yelling and acting fake confused.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

lol I just remembered I have a copy of the Chapo book that I think Virgil signed twice

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

An Apple A Gay posted:

I signed up to some kinda service for a free audio book and got the Chapo book. it was like a podcast!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the kinda obnoxious thing about the recent Jack Wagner Chapo is that he feels the need to get defensive. Telling fun stories is good, but it's embarrassing how he's like "these people are serious and NOT kooky, trust me!" Just be like "here's this wild story" instead of feeling a need to emphasize its veracity in ways that accomplish the complete opposite.

Seems like the kind of guy you could rope into an MLM as long as you were a normal-looking person who's like "I get that that there's a lot of really scammy stuff out there, but this isn't like that"

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

dude sounded like a gullible idiot tbh. “listen to this story about these weirdos who worship gnomes. but seriously there was probably another supernatural entity that was responding to them (def not gnomes though cause that’s a crazy idea”

Euphoriaphone has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Nov 4, 2023

zero knowledge
Apr 27, 2008
what’s annoying is that he kept saying “if you send these transmissions out there indicating a willingness to believe something, then even if gnomes aren’t real, SOMETHING will be on the other end of the line”. and that’s true, but the something won’t be a different supernatural thing that actually exists. it’ll be the extreme right and Qanon and MLMs selling you Iraqi dinars and poo poo.

I did think the stuff about how repeated shocks of Trmpo and Epstein and so on shake people’s faith in rationalism and make them susceptible to out there woo woo poo poo was insightful

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

zero knowledge posted:

I did think the stuff about how repeated shocks of Trmpo and Epstein and so on shake people’s faith in rationalism and make them susceptible to out there woo woo poo poo was insightful

I've seen some stuff like this in various places, where people were basically outright rejecting the very concept of a material understanding of the world. And on a philosophical concept I get the idea, but "humans seeing/hearing things" is inherently material. They aren't claiming that "stuff we can't sense might exist." When people talk about stuff like ghosts and aliens, they are making material claims, since their evidence is "people witnessed this stuff."

There was this one silly comment on the Patreon where this guy was like "human senses are unreliable. our eyes can only see this limited wavelength," and then somehow extrapolated this into "so some people might be seeing ghosts." That makes no sense! It literally means the complete opposite! The fact that human senses are so limited is an argument against the idea of people seeing ghosts and poo poo!

I think part of this stems from an (understandable) feeling that you're insulting someone if you doubt their anecdote. So from Jack's perspective, either the people are lying to him, or they're telling the truth. But most people reporting these supernatural anecdotes are self-aware and know what "looks/sounds kooky."

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

yeah i think there is something to the idea that scientism as an ideology is inherently connected with a certain faith in secular institutions, and that as that faith takes a hit so do people react adversely to scientism and formulate counter-ideologies, including woo nonsense

that guy was very annoying though

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I think that limitations of mistakes in human senses are an inherently boring thing when bereft of narrative. No one really cares if you see a shadow in the corner of your eye because of a brief lapse in sight, but turning it into a shadow ghost with a threat of being unable to be seen directly makes it more interesting. It kind of goes to the idea that schizophrenia actually makes people less creative than what their natural talent would be, because the sense of narrative connection is lost. Ghosts and so on are important as a social narrative that carries human meaning and value, and adding science to them kind of takes away from that. It’s like trying to scientifically define art.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.

Ytlaya posted:

I've seen some stuff like this in various places, where people were basically outright rejecting the very concept of a material understanding of the world. And on a philosophical concept I get the idea, but "humans seeing/hearing things" is inherently material. They aren't claiming that "stuff we can't sense might exist." When people talk about stuff like ghosts and aliens, they are making material claims, since their evidence is "people witnessed this stuff."

There was this one silly comment on the Patreon where this guy was like "human senses are unreliable. our eyes can only see this limited wavelength," and then somehow extrapolated this into "so some people might be seeing ghosts." That makes no sense! It literally means the complete opposite! The fact that human senses are so limited is an argument against the idea of people seeing ghosts and poo poo!

I think part of this stems from an (understandable) feeling that you're insulting someone if you doubt their anecdote. So from Jack's perspective, either the people are lying to him, or they're telling the truth. But most people reporting these supernatural anecdotes are self-aware and know what "looks/sounds kooky."

What about the machine that could hear historic noises??

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

chapo's been mid but I don't like most of their guest episodes

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

fr0id posted:

I think that limitations of mistakes in human senses are an inherently boring thing when bereft of narrative. No one really cares if you see a shadow in the corner of your eye because of a brief lapse in sight, but turning it into a shadow ghost with a threat of being unable to be seen directly makes it more interesting. It kind of goes to the idea that schizophrenia actually makes people less creative than what their natural talent would be, because the sense of narrative connection is lost. Ghosts and so on are important as a social narrative that carries human meaning and value, and adding science to them kind of takes away from that. It’s like trying to scientifically define art.

yeah but important social narrative to what end? important doesn't mean good

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

V. Illych L. posted:

yeah i think there is something to the idea that scientism as an ideology is inherently connected with a certain faith in secular institutions, and that as that faith takes a hit so do people react adversely to scientism and formulate counter-ideologies, including woo nonsense

that guy was very annoying though

i blame economics for calling itself a science and lying so thoroughly and embedding itself in political projects that have ruined society that it's ruined peope's faith in science's role in public life entirely

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Brain Candy posted:

yeah but important social narrative to what end? important doesn't mean good

important for communication and common ground, duh. almost no one likes the hard science guy who says every superstition is bullshit and ghosts are just our brains loving up. even in therapy for people with schizophrenia you get nowhere by arguing and challenging delusions. They’re important because a ton of people believe in them and even if you want an ideal society that doesn’t you have to carefully consider how you change those beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

why does felix think ghosts last forever?? or can't be absorbed by other ghosts? smdh typical anti-ghost propaganda

That's a good point. Statistically, rather than spooky (and recognizable) 19th century ghosts, there'd be a lot of medieval peasants and Bronze Age farmers speaking incomprehensible languages. In the Americas, it would be the ghost of some guy who died hunting a megafauna long before the Native American societies we're familiar with even emerged.