Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Is there any way at all to get something like a standardized AndroidOS experience anymore? Even staying within the same manufacturer, it seems like every model has every setting moved around and every app slightly different just for the hell of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
When I watch TV with my wife and kids I make them sit behind me just out of view while I sit in my gamer chair next to my sweet rig

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Microsoft word web version is probably the worst product ever invented

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Paste plain text: CTRL+SHIFT+V

You're welcome.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Dip Viscous posted:

Is there any way at all to get something like a standardized AndroidOS experience anymore? Even staying within the same manufacturer, it seems like every model has every setting moved around and every app slightly different just for the hell of it.

Pixel series.

Not sure how "baseline" the Oneplus models are, but probably closer to regular Android than a Samsung or LG.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

CitizenKain posted:

But it also costs more then a regular TV, and usually lag on features.

I consider the latter to be a feature, and the former is expected since smart TVs are heavily subsidizing the cost with the data they are going to be mining from everything you do with the TV. I appreciate the suggestion!

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker

anonumos posted:

You're welcome.

I do this but then I need to dance my cursor around the text to ensure it actually becomes a link at all and not just a pasted url that doesn’t link anywhere.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

DrBouvenstein posted:

Pixel series.

Not sure how "baseline" the Oneplus models are, but probably closer to regular Android than a Samsung or LG.

Thanks. I still love my Moto G Power, especially the battery life, apart from the Motorola poo poo stuck to it but it stopped receiving security updates right after I bought it so I think it's on the way out. Which is guess I even more poo poo. Does everything I need it to, has 90% of the battery life it did originally, hosed anyway.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Serious_Cyclone posted:

I consider the latter to be a feature, and the former is expected since smart TVs are heavily subsidizing the cost with the data they are going to be mining from everything you do with the TV. I appreciate the suggestion!

Its things like HDMI 2.1 and the benefits from that. Most of them are pretty midgrade as far as image quality, but are also designed to run all day.

Honestly one of the better things on a smart TV, if you don't want those features is keep it off the network, or use something like PiiHole to help it block ads.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Does anyone have a better example of enshitification completely tanking a golden goose? I keep coming back to Microsoft murdering Skype.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Outrail posted:

Does anyone have a better example of enshitification completely tanking a golden goose? I keep coming back to Microsoft murdering Skype.

It's already been mentioned multiple times but it bears repeating: Game of Thrones.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think Microsoft lost anything they care about with Skype, they have their corporate captive audience that switched to Teams, the hell app with integration with the whole MS suite if programs, and they seem to be barely interested in acknowledging their non corporate customers at all.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Outrail posted:

Screamin' Sicilian pizza. When they first came out, they were enormous, fresh, and unbelievably tasty. The dough was perfect. Baked perfectly in every oven I ever used.

Now? Barely above Digeorno. Barely. It's not worth the premium price anymore. Don't get me started on their calzones...I almost cried when I bit into my first enshittified Screamin' Sicilian calzone. I threw the whole drat thing away and bought exactly 1 Screamin' pizza since then.

anonumos fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 3, 2023

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

All frozen pizza got significantly better in the 2000's. Then all of a sudden every single manufacturer changed their recipe around the same time in ~2017 and they all turned to poo poo. None of the manufacturers has explicitly explained why. Some have fallen so far they have pulled out of entire markets altogether. Historically this suggests a massive fuckup, coverup, and/or cancer-causing oversight of a staple food product, such as wheat or dairy.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

It's also possible that frozen pizzas were so universally contaminated that the acceptable threshold of profit/risk took a few decades to reach criticality and impact operation. If we're there now, frozen pizzas simply injured or sickened too many people that a firm precedent was set and the risk is too great. As a result everyone had to switch to fully-preserved ingredients and the end product is garbage trash.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Microsoft word web version is probably the worst product ever invented

It's going to be the default desktop version soon.

Going to have to try and sell my company on Libre Office.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Failson posted:

NOTEPAD! CRASHED!

This is like the clearest sign we are in the End of Days.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My stupid work computer still preloads Skype

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

there was one iteration of mobile skype ~2015 which had video filters that let you do really basic effects like fisheye and mirroring, as well as do an automatic early-gen AI generation to pictures, and they were amazing

it was before all the modern crapola

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Animal-Mother posted:

This is like the clearest sign we are in the End of Days.

yeah this is actually a contender for most despairing

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

GolfHole posted:

It's also possible that frozen pizzas were so universally contaminated that the acceptable threshold of profit/risk took a few decades to reach criticality and impact operation. If we're there now, frozen pizzas simply injured or sickened too many people that a firm precedent was set and the risk is too great. As a result everyone had to switch to fully-preserved ingredients and the end product is garbage trash.

Betcha it’s some ingredient has already been negatively impacted by climate change and they can’t get it in the amount needed anymore

And big fro-piz is covering it up

It’s all connected, and they’re pulling the wool over our eyes, maaaaaaaan

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
frozen pizzas seem about the same to me except more expensive :shrug:

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

anonumos posted:

You're welcome.

Yo, guess what doesn't loving work in MS Office...

They do have some sort of stupid option where after you paste you can hit ctrl to bring up a context menu and then you can hit (I think) T to convert it back to plain text. But like you said, ctrl+shift+v was already the solution there.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Nov 4, 2023

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

wash bucket posted:

Yo, guess what doesn't loving work in MS Office...

They do have some sort of stupid option where after you paste you can hit ctrl to bring up a context menu and then you can hit (I think) T to convert it back to plain text. But like you said, ctrl+shift+v was already the solution there.

Yeah, I hate how the whole office suite, including outlook, ignores this shortcut.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

wash bucket posted:

Is Brave still a secret cryptocurrency miner?

afaik it never was. but their hands are dirty with crypto in other ways, namely trying to serve you first party ads in exchange for their own shitcoin, but just don't turn that poo poo on.

i am open to other ios browsers that block the gently caress out of everything and let me stream youtube audio if someone knows others

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

afaik it never was. but their hands are dirty with crypto in other ways, namely trying to serve you first party ads in exchange for their own shitcoin, but just don't turn that poo poo on.

Ah, I guess that's what I was half-remembering. Hope you'll understand if I choose to steer wide around that all the same.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’ll stick with safari on ios/mac and firefox everywhere else. won’t touch chomium based browsers anymore, they’re all bad and buggy.

ios is the only place i have yet to find a working ad blocking solution (or working long term at least)

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

Unity.

But besides that, literally all of MS's consumer-facing software has gone into the toilet. They are just speed-running pissing off everyone at this point and I'd LOVE to hear why they think any of their nonsense is worth it.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 4, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

I don't think Microsoft lost anything they care about with Skype, they have their corporate captive audience that switched to Teams, the hell app with integration with the whole MS suite if programs, and they seem to be barely interested in acknowledging their non corporate customers at all.

Microsoft's business plan is to corner a specific market through acquisition, underprice the product to starve out any competition, and then :airquote: upgrade :airquote: into a semi-new platform and raise the price until they start to lose competitiveness.

Fundamentally this means MS doesn't give a gently caress about any of its customers beyond a paycheck.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

here's a nice breakdown of ways my work provided dell latitude has gotten worse within the past year, plus some random IT stuff and horrible configurations that add to the death by a thousand cuts experience that modern work environments provide:

we use a vpn (pulse) that occasionally gets in a busted state where it says it's connected, but it won't actually let you access the company network. disconnecting and reconnecting it won't fix it. the only solution is to exit the software and restart it.

within the past year, they disabled our ability to exit the software. if you right click it in the tray and hit exit, you get a message that the administrator has disabled that operation. it doesn't show up as a user process in task manager, and even logging out and back in won't restart it. you have reboot the laptop.

i ran into that situation tonight while trying to do a quick after-hours test on hardware that wasn't available during the day. however, i forgot that also within the last year, some update that rolled out to the dell bios now causes the laptop to fail to boot if my usb-c monitor is plugged in. a reboot for me looks like this now:

1. reboot windows and wait approximately 3 minutes for it to shutdown
2. wait another minute or two until the bios password screen kicks in
3. enter my password and hit enter. it waits an uncomfortably long period, then the screen goes black
3. a. during this time, the laptop is unresponsive. if i realize what's wrong (monitor plugged in), i can hold down the power button for 5 seconds and reboot it here. go to step 4.
3. b. otherwise after several minutes it reboots to a bios screen that tells me there was a RAM error.
-- the RAM error screen has an OK/Cancel popup in the bios to run a memory diagnostic.
-- The bios has a mouse cursor, and when i click the cancel button, it SELECTS the button but will not actually PRESS it. this is also new behavior, clicking around worked when i got this thing a couple years ago.
-- I have to hit enter on the keyboard after clicking the button :psyduck:
4. unplug the usb-c monitor
5. wait approximately 5 minutes for the windows login screen to appear.
6. hit ctrl+alt+del and wait about 15 seconds for the PIN box to appear, then enter it
7. wait another ~5 minutes for the desktop to finish loading.
8. a bunch of cmd.exe windows run whatever arcane login scripts the IT dept has configured. Sometimes one of these sticks around forever.
9. login to the VPN, wait 1-2 minutes for it to connect.
10. close and restart outlook and teams, which tried to start at login but failed to sign in because the VPN wasn't started yet. they helpfully create a couple extra windows i have to close first with an "Oops, you can't get to this." message displayed that will chime at me if i click the main teams or outlook windows before closing the popup windows.
11. start work

i basically just assume i'm going to lose almost an hour of time anytime i have to restart my laptop for any reason, and just check in on it every 5 minutes or so to shepherd it through the process.

e: to top this all off, i just now got an outlook reminder for a meeting 48 weeks ago after getting back up and running

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 4, 2023

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Sounds like that laptop/VPN/monitor was a... bad purchase.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Pulse/Ivanti/WhateverTheFuckTheyCallThemselvesToday VPN on its own is a garbage fire. I don’t think it ever got shittier, it was just poo poo to begin with.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Outrail posted:

Amazon and Google are both racing down the rabbit hole of how they can worsen user experience to gain .0000001c/user, I never feel it as bad as when I try googling something these days or when I try to find like, underwear on Amazon.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Atopian posted:

Sounds like that laptop/VPN/monitor was a... bad purchase.

leave the monitor alone, it works great on my gaming pc

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Photoshop a suitable paycheck and lie to icebreaker to get on their pro-deal. 100% worth paying for a few pairs of their discounted underroos.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Amazon and Google are both racing down the rabbit hole of how they can worsen user experience to gain .0000001c/user, I never feel it as bad as when I try googling something these days or when I try to find like, underwear on Amazon.

Luv my new COUWGTERL brand underwear.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008
Literally bought a GOOKUN door closer for $16

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This thread actively gets shittier anytime anyone brings up anything that involves computers or any kind of technology. However, that's where most of the posts come from. You guys just have so much to say about operating systems, programming languages, applications, displays, video game systems, subscription services, computer hardware, and on and on and on.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i bought a bunch of packs of v neck tshirts off Amazon over the last 15 years and last year I tried to do it the same way (search for 'v neck t shirts') and I ended up with a bunch of generic crew neck shirts that have no tags or text at all and it turns out it sucks rear end having to figure out which side of a t shirt is the front based solely on ratios

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
the very slightly wider side is the front btw if it happens to you