Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's been a while since I imported an album into iTunes but I don't recall any issues when I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
All my Apple Music usage is either on my iPhone or on my Mac. I find it much easier to do all my library janitoring via the desktop app, especially bulk adding/deleting or making playlists.

It was bug city just after AM launched, but I see very little weirdness these days.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I have the free version of the 'picture this' app. I want to send someone a photo I took but can't find it's location? It doesn't seem to have a folder in the files app?

Where should I look?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Boris Galerkin posted:

I canceled my Apple Music for about a year or so and when I resubbed I found out my entire library was nuked so that was great. All my playlists and poo poo just gone.

This is incredibly dumb and Apple should not do this.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

They're saving whole kilobytes of data

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jippa posted:

I have the free version of the 'picture this' app. I want to send someone a photo I took but can't find it's location? It doesn't seem to have a folder in the files app?

Where should I look?

The files app isn't a proper file browser. It can't access most of your phone. It's basically just a My Downloads folder that a handful of apps hook into when it makes sense for their operation, like Dropbox.

Did you check in the Photo library? Some photo apps create their own folder in there.

If not you probably need a file browser than can go deeper. I know those exist but don't know of any by name to suggest.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

The files app isn't a proper file browser. It can't access most of your phone. It's basically just a My Downloads folder that a handful of apps hook into when it makes sense for their operation, like Dropbox.

Did you check in the Photo library? Some photo apps create their own folder in there.

If not you probably need a file browser than can go deeper. I know those exist but don't know of any by name to suggest.

Yeah I checked there. Thanks for your help though.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I use plex's music app plexamp to stream my personal music collection, which last I checked would take me several years of playing 24/7 to listen to. The bandcamp app also has a music streamer for your purchased music. Apple music didn't support flacs for so long I had to look for alternatives despite being an iPhone user most of my smartphone life (no idea if they do now). I rarely find myself in situations where I want to listen to music but don't have an internet connect to back home.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

people realize you can download playlists and music to your phone right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

kri kri posted:

people realize you can download playlists and music to your phone right?

I just realized I had 95 gigs of music on my phone lmao. I deleted all of it but two playlists.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

If there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that music preferences are all over the place - Some people want a really tight library of older music, others prefer radio stations where they can discover new music. Personally, I discover a lot of music listening to curated playlists and live DJ sets, but understand that’s not everybody’s cup of tea.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Apple Music gets screwy if you try to integrate your own library of downloaded/purchased iTunes music with it. Apple wants the songs you add to your library from Music to be "songs on your device" , but downloaded/purchased songs should be kept separate from songs that are part of a subscription.

Beyond that and the occasional wonkiness with CarPlay, I really wish Apple Music was better at helping you discover new music. There are some tools, but they seem to miss the mark more often than not.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

They did add that discovery station finally and that's been pretty good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Skeezy posted:

They did add that discovery station finally and that's been pretty good.

I think it’s hella broken because it sure as poo poo doesn’t take any of your loved songs into consideration. It seems like it tries to give you stuff based off what you have been recently listening to.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I think it’s hella broken because it sure as poo poo doesn’t take any of your loved songs into consideration. It seems like it tries to give you stuff based off what you have been recently listening to.

I read some article or post or whatever a little while ago that made a convincing argument it weighs making playlists far more than anything else

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Remember Genius? Lol. What was the iTunes social media thing they tried?

RIP Steve we need you now more than ever.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah all of the discovery tools on Apple Music seem to only take into account the most recent thing I manually selected. They definitely don't take the entire library into account.

Despite all this complaining I will still stay with Apple Music over Spotify.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I read some article or post or whatever a little while ago that made a convincing argument it weighs making playlists far more than anything else

This makes complete sense with what I’ve seen. All I get is gym music now.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

American McGay posted:

Remember Genius? Lol. What was the iTunes social media thing they tried?

RIP Steve we need you now more than ever.

ping baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-lFBi8edog

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

My Spotify recommendations were annihilated a long time ago by study music, and kept that way by lullabies

I’d be thrilled if there was an option to switch it to likes

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there really no way to turn off the Apple strong password suggestion when creating an account?The only advice I can find is to turn off password autofill. I use 1password and want to be able to autofill, but it seems like turning that off is the only way to also get rid of the strong password popup.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Snowy posted:

Is there really no way to turn off the Apple strong password suggestion when creating an account?The only advice I can find is to turn off password autofill. I use 1password and want to be able to autofill, but it seems like turning that off is the only way to also get rid of the strong password popup.

Have you unchecked using iCloud passwords from settings->passwords->password options?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

rafikki posted:

Have you unchecked using iCloud passwords from settings->passwords->password options?

I hadn’t because I had some in there that weren’t in 1password yet, but if that’ll do it I’ll get around to transferring them. Thanks, I hope that works 🤞

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Snowy posted:

I hadn’t because I had some in there that weren’t in 1password yet, but if that’ll do it I’ll get around to transferring them. Thanks, I hope that works 🤞

You do what you gotta do, but I really dig using iCloud Keychain for the passwords AND the 2FA autofill. It makes logging into poo poo on my phone and Mac so easy.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

You do what you gotta do, but I really dig using iCloud Keychain for the passwords AND the 2FA autofill. It makes logging into poo poo on my phone and Mac so easy.

1P does the 2FA thing fine as well.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

I know it’s somewhat being more vulnerable, but I use 1Password and iCloud Keychain.

1Password because it’s really good and can sync to all devices for both my wife and I.

I let iCloud Keychain also save passwords to make it easier on my personal devices.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I’ve got an old iPhone Xs with a degraded battery (79% health) and a cracked screen, that I want to fix up and give to my mother. I want to get the battery replaced by Apple but the screen replaced by a third party - it’s like a third of the price vs Apple replacing the screen. However I’ve not been able to confirm if Apple would replace the battery if the screen was non-genuine. I imagine it’s best to get the screen sorted first as it’s in whit

This was what Apple support said:

“Naturally Apple just help devices that has the original parts, this is cause sometimes the third party can fix something. But in the process, can spoil something. However, you can get the device to be inspected by the technician but I can assure that they can bring service to the device.

If the iPhone is fixed by a third party, the device has no more warranty, so Apple can deny the service. But as I told you, the technician will be the one that has the last word on this.”

And when I asked about getting the battery replaced while the screen is still cracked:

“If the screen is cracked, but has not been fixed by a third part, a special technician will check the device, let you know the expectations about the replacement, and will replace the battery then.”

However I’ve seen online on Apple forums they won’t replace a battery if the screen is damaged. So not particularly helpful. Any insight from anyone? I’m in the UK if relevant.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I got my first bill from AT&T with my wife's ported in number and they're only crediting her $350 for her trade in instead of the full price I'm 99% certain it should be. I assume there isn't any way I can see trade in values from the end of September?

Most promo trade ins are done as lump sum up front (actual phone trade in value) and then the rest as monthly bill credits (promo “top up” to like $800 or $1000 or whatever the promo was)

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

I know it’s somewhat being more vulnerable, but I use 1Password and iCloud Keychain.

1Password because it’s really good and can sync to all devices for both my wife and I.

I let iCloud Keychain also save passwords to make it easier on my personal devices.

I kinda use both, too, and appreciate the fact that my entire 1Password vault wouldn't be accessible if somebody managed to figure out my passcode like they would with Keychain - I'll save meaningless logins in Keychain for the ease of use, but love the UI and more advanced functionality of 1Password for storing all sorts of things across every browser/platform. I also have 2FA setup for my 1Password account via Keychain for added security.

Setting up 1Password properly to fully integrate into iOS and Safari (Extension + Settings) can be a bit of a pain, but I really like it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Corb3t posted:

Setting up 1Password properly to fully integrate into iOS and Safari (Extension + Settings) can be a bit of a pain, but I really like it.

Yeah this is why I kinda gave up on 1Password. Keychain is just easier for me.

1Password is great but keychain really does what 99% of people actually need.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
If I buy an unlocked iphone from like costco or the apple store and want to transfer my at&t sim poo poo (idk what to call it) from my current samsung galaxy s9+ to it, do I have to go to the AT&T store or something? I'm not buying directly from AT&T because I'm keeping open the possibility of moving to verizon or some other carrier in the next year...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well, the iPhone 14 and 15 series don't use SIMs in the US at all, so you can't just swap in the SIM. I don't think you need to go to a store to transfer, though, at most you'd need to call AT&T support, I think?

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Oh right it's an esim... coo' coo' I'm down

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Some carriers and devices support esim transfer during the setup process, and you don’t need to call anyone in that case.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

whalestory posted:

If I buy an unlocked iphone from like costco or the apple store and want to transfer my at&t sim poo poo (idk what to call it) from my current samsung galaxy s9+ to it, do I have to go to the AT&T store or something? I'm not buying directly from AT&T because I'm keeping open the possibility of moving to verizon or some other carrier in the next year...

You can move your eSIM number from one phone to another on ATT’s website. If you search the top bar for eSIM it should pop up. I think they direct you to a “bring your own device” page where you pick what number you want to move and it’ll ask for IMEI. I’ve done it a couple times in the past couple months.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just upgraded to the 15 pro max and has anyone else run into this bug when taking pictures?

If you take a picture using the camera button from the Lock Screen they come out like this

If I go into the camera app it takes the picture just fine

What’s the deal here?

Edit oh what the hell… if the camera is pointed down to the ground it’s fine but as soon as I tilt it up it fucks up

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 5, 2023

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I haven't seen that and I take photos from the lock screen all the time.

It's a bug.. try a reboot and if that doesn't help make Apple give you a new phone. At least it's easy to reproduce.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You should just use regular floss, those single-use plastic flossing tools are very wasteful.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

withak posted:

You should just use regular floss, those single-use plastic flossing tools are very wasteful.

They’re way easier for flossing toddler teeth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Yes I know but I have big hands and it’s a pain in the rear end to use regular stuff. So it’s those or nothing.

I’ll try a reboot because that’s a wild bug.