Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh wow we're losing what an original tactic

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

we do not look good without hackney

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

A home win! That I watched!

Out of the relegation zone and a game in hand.

...only 13 points off the play offs

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Scabbed a jammy 3 points vs Grimsby today, I think their manager got the sack afterwards.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Oh well, guess a draw buys Caldwell another 2 weeks until our next league game

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/TeleFootball/status/1718368140579438980

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.

nawilo_420 posted:

Joey Barton got sacked

A complete mystery that he was ever hired, tbh. I cannot imagine he has any kind of moral authority, how's he going to tell a player to calm down when probably the most notable thing he ever did was have a complete meltdown and try to murder the entire Man City team in the most infamous game in PL history

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Adrianics posted:

A complete mystery that he was ever hired, tbh. I cannot imagine he has any kind of moral authority, how's he going to tell a player to calm down when probably the most notable thing he ever did was have a complete meltdown and try to murder the entire Man City team in the most infamous game in PL history

Yeah, and he’s the good brother of the family

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Helicopters belonging to Mike Ashley were seen at the Madejski stadium
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/23886657.mike-ashley-rumoured-takeover-reading-fc-choppers-land/

After going Russian ⇒ Thai ⇒ Chinese, and an increasing shitshow of "deep pockets" not delivering, I'll consider boringly competent to be a big win.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

Helicopters belonging to Mike Ashley were seen at the Madejski stadium
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport/23886657.mike-ashley-rumoured-takeover-reading-fc-choppers-land/

After going Russian ⇒ Thai ⇒ Chinese, and an increasing shitshow of "deep pockets" not delivering, I'll consider boringly competent to be a big win.

Uh....about that

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I'd consider largely bouncing around the middle of the Premier league, even if there were two short relegations, and staying financially solvent, a display of massively more competence than what Reading club has experienced since Madejsk sold. There's also a real chance of insolvency or sale to some other chancer. A decade of floating around L1/L2 at this point will be a big win.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 29, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Wednesday have won.

File under “loving hell!”

Dell_Zincht posted:

Uh....about that

Mike Ashley is a truly dreadful human being and an asset stripper, but for a lot of EFL clubs his ownership would be a straight and clear upgrade.

Newcastle were a stable Premier League club for his entire tenure there, save for the two Championship seasons that they were promoted from at a canter, before selling them on to better things. For Reading, that sounds favourable to liquidation or being wound up.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dell_Zincht posted:

Uh....about that

You need to weigh the weird sense of entitlement Newcastle supporters have against their vitriol of Ashley. They were exactly where they were supposed to be, in the mid-table nobody gives a gently caress realm.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

quote:

“If 20,000 people gave £100 then it’s £2m, and it’d be clear - so we can finish it. That would cover everything, HMRC and the wages. That would need to be done before November 10th if they don’t want to pass the 30 days, but that means that there can be no next time. It’d need to be before to make it safe - if it was on the fifth then there would be 10 days left… If we were to hit 30 days then we’ll get a ban for three windows.”

Seeking to explain the cash flow issues he is facing, Chansiri told The Star that he is awaiting late payments for deals in his business life away from Wednesday. He said: “We have a problem with cash flow. Money has not come in time, you have to understand that businessmen invest and do not keep cash in hand, we never keep money in the bank. We spend and invest. Of course we need to get money back. If the cash flow is bad then we have a problem. I am not broke, the problem is cash flow.

“If I had money in the bank, why wouldn’t I pay? There is no cash flow, money is not in the bank, how am I going to pay? I need to wait until money comes in. I did it last month, if I did not inject money I would have already done it. There was no need to wait until this month.

“Those who say it is their club, when it was clear we had an issue with HMRC, people came out and said ‘Chairman, you need to take responsibility to pay’, that if we don’t pay we have to sell ‘our club’ - why do they say ‘our club’? I never heard any fan say ‘we need to prepare to save our club’, they just say I have to leave. It’s funny, they say they are owners and I am custodian.

“We try to generate money for the club as best as we can. We need to try to get money but the negative fans don’t help. I am not blaming fans. I am not blaming, I am explaining they don’t help. People (potential sponsors) don’t know us, they just see us on social media, so why are they going to sponsor us when they just see rubbish all the time? We need fans in bad times as well as good.”

“We will talk about negative ones first. The 1867 or whoever they are, it’s funny. People just follow them and they don’t know who they are. They want to protest and for me to leave, but nobody comes to save the club. The more positive ones, who backs me up? Then show me, back me up. We don’t have money. The first thing you need to do is save the club. If we don’t pay in 30 days we have a big issue. If you want to save your club, this is your chance. Do not protest, save your club. If not, we will get a transfer ban over three windows, there’s a possibility we will go to League Two or the National League. Maybe the negative fans would be happy, they wouldn’t be able to moan that things are too expensive. So now you have the right. If the positive fans want me to stay, then this is their chance to save their club.”

Don't put in the newspaper that I'm broke

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

Don't put in the newspaper that I'm broke

*Worth $500m

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shrapnig posted:

You need to weigh the weird sense of entitlement Newcastle supporters have against their vitriol of Ashley. They were exactly where they were supposed to be, in the mid-table nobody gives a gently caress realm.

you support man united and are increasingly angry seemingly with their current fall form grace m8. we weren't expecting top 4 or anything

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Shrapnig posted:

Jose posted:

you support man united and are increasingly angry seemingly with their current fall form grace m8. we weren't expecting top 4 or anything

Ashley was engaging in lots of self-dealing and he was incredibly erratic in the managers he supported with transfer funds (like Steve Bruce and Alan Pardew) versus the ones he didn't (like Rafa Benitez). Newcastle might not be "entitled" to success and I think that, early on, Ashley had to do some unpopular cutbacks to keep Newcastle from having major financial problems, but I think there were plenty of moments of Ashley just not running the club very well. They really shouldn't have gotten relegated twice.

That was my impression from the outside, at least.

EDIT: Ashley wasn't Oysten/Blackpool level bad, but I would say he was not a great owner either. There was a lot of missed chances during Ashley's tenure. Here's an Athletic piece on Ashley's time at the club in case anyone cares.

https://theathletic.com/1745144/2020/04/15/mike-ashley-newcastle-united-takeover/

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 31, 2023

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Dell_Zincht posted:

We're hampered with injuries at the moment and play Plymouth a few days later, expect a very much second string side.

Plus we'll have Aussie garbageman Tom Glover in goal, a bloke who makes Joe Lumley look competent

Okay I'll be honest I didn't believe you'd have any chance of losing against us

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd rather watch Wednesday go bust and dissolve into the annals of history than give Chansiri a penny because he's spat his tuna out and won't do his loving job.
We were a drizzling poo poo of a club before him, we'll be a drizzling poo poo of a club after him. gently caress off Dejphon

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

mfcrocker posted:

Okay I'll be honest I didn't believe you'd have any chance of losing against us

That was a stronger team than I thought we'd put out tbf

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Chansiri's fundamental misunderstanding of what owning a football club (or just a business) entails is loving laughable. We're owned by a narcissist who did absolutely zero due diligence when he bought the loving thing.

The important context to his constant desire for the fans to stump up more and more cash to cover the bills is that we have an average gate of 26,000 who have paid anything upto £800 for a season ticket or upto £59 pay on the gate, to watch a team that's only just sneaked it's first win of the season before Halloween and hasn't been in the Premier League for 23 years. In any sane world he should be on his knees grovelling to half of the fanbase and the other half should be sectioned.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Wednesday fans, as a collective, do have a pathological delusion that we're bigger than we actually are in 2023. We're arguably exactly where we should be as a club, table wise, right now imo.
The club absolutely does not deserve the dedication, passion and love our fans give them. It's some pure stockholm syndrome, sunk cost fallacy. We're never getting back to our glory days. I'll always be a Wednesday fan, even if we end up in a Wimbledon AFC with a spiritual successor club.
The blatant squeezing every penny out of the fans is disgraceful. It's clearly not going back into the club either.

The writing was on the wall for a bad year in the Championship from last year when we did almost anything we could to make sure we didn't get promoted, from squandering a nearly uncatchable lead for automatic in the table to giving Peterborough an almost uncatchable lead in the first leg of the playoffs.
Not keeping Moore was probably a bad move, but we also shouldn't pretend that he would have had us where Ipswich are right now, we'd have still been in the a relegation fight. Hiring Xisco was hall of fame level bad decision and Danny Rohl seems like he will be a good manager, though I wouldn't blame him for not seeing the red flags and bailing immediately. We finally get three points, in a derby no less, and our dipshit chairman immediately pulls the rug from under him by demanding the fans drop 2 mil, and making it about himself again. The fans have such a short memory that the 3 points would have shut up most of the "bad fans", as he calls them.

Any proper leadership would have seen that the Wednesday squad would have struggled without sensible and sizeable investment to make Championship survival a possibility and then a formality over 3 or 4 years before even thinking of playoffs.
The relegated teams from the Premier League being particularly strong this season also meant that the leagues arguably a bigger shark tank than ever, and Ipswich excelling is an exception in the extreme for newly promoted teams. We really ought to be laying plans for League One football next year now but I don't think we will be.

Chansiri wanted playoffs this year cos he's a dipshit. Now he's decided that he's just going to destroy the club because he's rightly being called out on being an egotistical clown in the habit of doing the exact opposite of what is right.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Nov 1, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Wednesday fans, as a collective, do have a pathological delusion that we're bigger than we actually are in 2023. We're arguably exactly where we should be as a club, table wise, right now imo.

I think this a constantly evolving thing that depends on who you ask. Wednesday are a historic club, but "big clubs" don't spend over 2 decades outside the top division. We've also been left behind massively by the modern game in terms of structure and resources. Our neighbors are a handy analogy, unfortunately. I'd argue that we are a "bigger" club than United until I'm blue in the face, but their recent Premier League exposure, relative success compared to us over the last 20+ years, social media followings etc, make this a hard argument to win to any neutral or modern fan in all honesty. There's only so much weight that having a bigger trophy cabinet can carry, especially when all but 1 of them were won in the 1930's or earlier.

In my experience the aspiration amongst our fanbase now is just for some stability without making GBS threads ourselves every few years. I'm fine with The Championship and I think most are. I'd love for Wednesday to just be a consistent, stable presence in this division that with the right rub of the green and some capable planning can think about a decent play-off tilt. Essentially our aspiration right now is to be Middlesborough or Preston.

Under this chairman we're absolutely miles off that.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
tbf to Chansiri (please use the approved rivals.com nomenclature Chancer-ee) he got us to successive championship playoffs. hes no businessman and no one, not even his 9yo son has told him theres no way to make a profit in football as an owner and that it's not a good idea to talk down the value of one's investment

if he had a brain he would have sold us the day we went back up and left DM as manager, not that DM is any good you understand, as our game against his new team proves, but at least that would have looked a bit like stability.

while curious to see if our untested german manager could survive in the 'ship, im more than happy to restart in the vanarama if that gets rid of the owner

tldr: ashley in

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bumhead posted:

I think this a constantly evolving thing that depends on who you ask. Wednesday are a historic club, but "big clubs" don't spend over 2 decades outside the top division. We've also been left behind massively by the modern game in terms of structure and resources. Our neighbors are a handy analogy, unfortunately. I'd argue that we are a "bigger" club than United until I'm blue in the face, but their recent Premier League exposure, relative success compared to us over the last 20+ years, social media followings etc, make this a hard argument to win to any neutral or modern fan in all honesty. There's only so much weight that having a bigger trophy cabinet can carry, especially when all but 1 of them were won in the 1930's or earlier.

In my experience the aspiration amongst our fanbase now is just for some stability without making GBS threads ourselves every few years. I'm fine with The Championship and I think most are. I'd love for Wednesday to just be a consistent, stable presence in this division that with the right rub of the green and some capable planning can think about a decent play-off tilt. Essentially our aspiration right now is to be Middlesborough or Preston.

Under this chairman we're absolutely miles off that.

Yeah, I'd fully settle for it being a completely uneventful no success, no failure life as a supporter, rather than the constant abject misery and false hope we have now.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
This match has been a cracker

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

up the boro

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Cracking game, awful ref

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Cracking game, awful ref

Calling the late foul on Latte Lath stopping a clean run on goal was at least understandable even if I thought it was wrong. I still don't know how the foul on Jones at the edge of the box was not either a red or a penalty though.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
seny dieng!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5L_QkUZ-3s

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

phowaaaaaaaaaaar

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Middlesbrough with a... banger set piece goal?!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

As if we have an agreement with Leeds to buy Sam Greenwood for £1.5m lol

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

gently caress. Reading are desperate for points and they blew a 2-1 lead over Shrewsbury to two injury times goals.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

As if we have an agreement with Leeds to buy Sam Greenwood for £1.5m lol

Agent rat boy successfully reducing the gap between the top 3

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Caldwell out please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whostolemyhat
Jan 15, 2014

Christ apparently Lampard has been linked to the Oxford job. Really hope that's just newspaper speculation.