Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Like I said, great opportunity for a difficulty slider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Antigravitas posted:

I actually want the Dark Souls of city builders. :colbert:

Workers and Resources

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

piratepilates posted:

Apparently in the UK that word is as offensive as it comes, a variation on the r-word but seen as far more serious?

As someone who actually lives in the UK, i've never heard anyone outside of an educational environment give a poo poo. It's never come up in a working environment and at pubs nobody cares what anyone else say's unless its legit racist (but the vast, vast majority of people being openly racist will get told to gently caress off, unless its a group). "Spaz" and "Retarded" still gets said regularly.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

dogstile posted:

As someone who actually lives in the UK, i've never heard anyone outside of an educational environment give a poo poo. It's never come up in a working environment and at pubs nobody cares what anyone else say's unless its legit racist (but the vast, vast majority of people being openly racist will get told to gently caress off, unless its a group). "Spaz" and "Retarded" still gets said regularly.

Ah fair enough, I did read someone on reddit describe a situation where if a doctor called one of their patients "spaz", it would be national news.

I found that very strange, wasn't sure if I should assume that redditor was a weirdo or if UK national news really is bare enough for something like that.

explosivo posted:

Workers and Resources

:hmmyes:

Tarnop posted:

That sort of response is inevitable when the simulation works differently to how it was described in dev diaries (unless I missed the one about making it impossible for a city to fail), does a piss-poor job of communicating anything to players and is also riddled with bugs to the point where it's hard to tell what's intended and what isn't

Yeaaaahhhh, CO really are not helping themselves with having janky first-pass UIs.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

turn off the TV posted:

they talked about the game not letting you fail in the dev diary about resources iirc

It's thousands of words so maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything about the failsafes the community manager talked about in that post

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

piratepilates posted:

I found that very strange, wasn't sure if I should assume that redditor was a weirdo or if UK national news really is bare enough for something like that.

The tabloids will run with it, national news won't give it any time. Bonus conspiracy theory is that if they do give it time, its because something else is being covered up, but I don't look at the news enough to notice :v:

The national news websites all do have smaller sections so you could get a mention on there, i guess, but you'd have to go searching. It won't be on your evening news.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tarnop posted:

It's thousands of words so maybe I missed it, but I don't see anything about the failsafes the community manager talked about in that post

quote:

We wanted to create a deep and complex system without it being too complicated for you to manage, allowing you to spend more time building the city rather than worrying about every minute detail at every possible turn. The system is modeled after real-life economic models to tie more realism into the game, and it is designed to balance itself out in most cases to support both new players and newly-founded cities in their first steps to becoming bustling metropolises.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Come on, that doesn't come close to saying what you're claiming

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I'm taking hostages at Colossal Order and no ones going free until they move the loving road grade tooltip literally anywhere that's not always under the loving curve angle tooltip such that I have to constantly angle my camera in insane ways to see both.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Why didn't they make the UI and tools good

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tarnop posted:

Come on, that doesn't come close to saying what you're claiming

The only half detailed simulation in CS1 was the traffic sim and that made cars vanish into thin air if they were stationary for more than a few seconds in order to balance it out for people who wanted to ignore it. That's about on par with what I expected from CS2's economic sim when they said that and is one of the reasons why I wasn't super optimistic about the game's release.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

How exactly does the mail/post office system work? Got a couple post offices but they don't seem to be doing anything, please tell me I don't have to individually plop down mailboxes everywhere

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

turn off the TV posted:

The only half detailed simulation in CS1 was the traffic sim and that made cars vanish into thin air if they were stationary for more than a few seconds in order to balance it out for people who wanted to ignore it. That's about on par with what I expected from CS2's economic sim when they said that and is one of the reasons why I wasn't super optimistic about the game's release.

Yeah that's all completely reasonable. I was responding to a post that suggested it was out of line to call the simulation a bunch of fakery as more and more elements of the simulation are gradually revealed to be as fake as you suspected.

It seems like your take is "well what did you expect" whereas I think if the performance issues merited a big post pre-release to set people's expectations then these bugs did too. Instead, it comes across like we're only being told about these bugs once someone posts evidence that they exist, which implies that CO just hoped no one would notice.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ninjahedgehog posted:

How exactly does the mail/post office system work? Got a couple post offices but they don't seem to be doing anything, please tell me I don't have to individually plop down mailboxes everywhere

You have to plop mailboxes everywhere. Though you don't need all that many for coverage.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Now it's flooding back to me the thing that was driving me crazy from C:S1: lack of hotkeys.

Really wish there were hotkeys to switch between road types easily, and from level terrain to smooth terrain. I even forgot that page up/down handles road elevation, because I'm so used to hotkeys in the game not being there.

Reaaallllly hoping that (the classic line) mods fix that, although I don't think there were hotkey mods for C:S1.

Tarnop posted:

Yeah that's all completely reasonable. I was responding to a post that suggested it was out of line to call the simulation a bunch of fakery as more and more elements of the simulation are gradually revealed to be as fake as you suspected.

It seems like your take is "well what did you expect" whereas I think if the performance issues merited a big post pre-release to set people's expectations then these bugs did too. Instead, it comes across like we're only being told about these bugs once someone posts evidence that they exist, which implies that CO just hoped no one would notice.

For the community manager post I quoted, it didn't seem like the implication was that the simulation was fake, just that they smooth out and cushion parts that could lead to immediate disaster in your city. Instead of a big traffic jam immediately causing your industry to be bankrupted, it'll fill in a bit of trade that was paused by the traffic jam. So industries still lose money but more gradually.

edit: without bugs, etc., which is the big qualifier here. Who knows what stuff is working fully as intended or as well-balanced

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 3, 2023

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah and that’s fair, you don’t want a mistake or oversight to just unravel your save and cascade the city down to nothing. Unlike say, the Pharoah remake :v:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

piratepilates posted:

For the community manager post I quoted, it didn't seem like the implication was that the simulation was fake, just that they smooth out and cushion parts that could lead to immediate disaster in your city. Instead of a big traffic jam immediately causing your industry to be bankrupted, it'll fill in a bit of trade that was paused by the traffic jam. So industries still lose money but more gradually.

edit: without bugs, etc., which is the big qualifier here. Who knows what stuff is working fully as intended or as well-balanced

Your edit there is a big part of my original point. What leads to the impression that we're being fed bullshit is a combination of:

- they warned us ahead of time that performance was bad, but simulation bugs were kept quiet until an end user proved they existed
- the game does a terrible job of communicating what it's actually doing
- the game is full of hidden "features" like you describe that are functionally indistinguishable from bugs, because we only get a slow drip-feed of "oh this is a bug (that this entire system does nothing) but don't worry we know about it and are working on it" or "that isn't actually a bug, the simulation just works in ways that make no sense"

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ninjahedgehog posted:

The mail system doesnt work at the moment so dont bother. Or just plop them and turn them off.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tarnop posted:

Your edit there is a big part of my original point. What leads to the impression that we're being fed bullshit is a combination of:

- they warned us ahead of time that performance was bad, but simulation bugs were kept quiet until an end user proved they existed
- the game is full of hidden "features" like you describe that are functionally indistinguishable from bugs, because we only get a slow drip-feed of "oh this is a bug (that this entire system does nothing) but don't worry we know about it and are working on it" or "that isn't actually a bug, the simulation just works in ways that make no sense"

Can you describe what you were expecting this game to be Day 1? I wasn't really expecting much given that they were delaying console release and it's a Paradox-published games but what I've played so far has been pretty fun

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Tarnop posted:

Ah I getcha. That random redditor decompiling the code and actually telling us how everything works has done more to soothe me about the game than anything else has. Big CO failing that we had to get information on how the game works from a random guy, instead of in the game we're playing. Seems par from the course from them unfortunately.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

piratepilates posted:

Ah I getcha. That random redditor decompiling the code and actually telling us how everything works has done more to soothe me about the game than anything else has. Big CO failing that we had to get information on how the game works from a random guy, instead of in the game we're playing. Seems par from the course from them unfortunately.

Yep, this is pretty much how I'm feeling. The decompiling stuff shows that the systems do actually exist, but communication from both CO and the game itself as to what's actually happening has been woeful and none of the things that the decompiler guy described seem to have any meaningful effect on gameplay.

From my own experience with the game, I very quickly got the feeling that nothing I was doing really mattered. I ended up with 35 unspent development points because none of the things I could unlock were interesting or solved any problems in my city (because the city ticks along fine with me occasionally painting some zones and plopping down a basic service building every now and then)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Some of the dev tree stuff is baffling in the classic CO way. Why do I have to spend eight points at the end of a tree to unlock a bridge that only works on four lane roads and is so finicky about placement I can't even use it anywhere? What?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Grand Fromage posted:

Some of the dev tree stuff is baffling in the classic CO way. Why do I have to spend eight points at the end of a tree to unlock a bridge that only works on four lane roads and is so finicky about placement I can't even use it anywhere? What?

Gotta pay to unlock.......roundabouts.

Gotta pay to unlock highways, despite the game starting with highways. (This one makes a little bit of sense, but whoops if you accidentally delete a starting one).

Gotta pay to unlock the most basic forms of industry that form the basis of every small town.

Sometimes I wonder if they really like games over there or not.

edit: That being said, since my posts are usually negative, I did start a new save last night and got lost in building out some roads and growing up some small towns. I forgot how nice of a meditative and creative experience the game can be.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 3, 2023

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

It would be great if the unlocks deeper in the trees were buildings and systems that helped you solve problems that emerge as your city increases in size. Instead, the game has presented me with no meaningful problems as my city has got bigger and the unlocks are all ridiculously narrow, like

Grand Fromage posted:

a bridge that only works on four lane roads and is so finicky about placement I can't even use it anywhere

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Tarnop posted:

It would be great if the unlocks deeper in the trees were buildings and systems that helped you solve problems that emerge as your city increases in size. Instead, the game has presented me with no meaningful problems as my city has got bigger and the unlocks are all ridiculously narrow, like

idk why it doesn't let you unlock appropriately sized service buildings

or why it exists in the first place

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Antigravitas posted:

I actually want the Dark Souls of city builders. :colbert:
You defeat a boss and are rewarded with a key, some souls, and a ploppable oubliette.

Albinator fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 3, 2023

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Does the game... kinda suck??

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Cygni posted:

The mail system doesnt work at the moment so dont bother. Or just plop them and turn them off.

You will definitely get negative happiness from not having any mail service at all, and it can be enough to heavily stunt your city's development.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Sumerian Telecom posted:

when most of the promised features just don't work I think it's fair to say a game is bad

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Sumerian Telecom posted:

Ah I see you've met Cities: Skylines 1.

But, kinda. I mean C:S1 wasn't that great of a game, it just did one or two things well that people ended up really liking. It was never that strong of a game.

C:S2 takes those things, improves on them, has a more realistic scale, fleshes out the simulation underneath, etc.

It's just underbaked and without all the mods and DLC that people are used to the game having. I'm warming up to it, I think it's actually not bad, good even, but it's like an unfinished city toy instead of a game or in-depth comprehensive city simulator.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Sumerian Telecom posted:

I think this is a case where if it honestly had an EA tag it wouldn't be getting the flak its getting now. No argument that what we're getting is extremely rough, but I think there's a lot of good in the bones of it. Just needs more time in the oven. Hopefully the launch doesn't gently caress up continued support of it in any major way. It seems like there's at least a lot more thought into there being systems that interplay with each other more meaningfully than "make sure traffic doesn't back up - also traffic is pocket cars" from the first. I really hope it gets figured out in that regard, because even heavily modded CS1 became a city painter/map editor toolkit without much real 'gameplay' to it unless you had like the Industries DLCs, and even those were extremely rough/simple. I think this will still be fairly 'easy' to succeed no matter what but unless I can press on things and see systems react meaningfully then its ultimately a postcard generator and it'll stink.

Jury's still out, for me, and I hope they can get to what it seems like their 'vision' is given the source code reader guy's findings.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Does anyone have some screenshots of their cool cities? I know this game is dumb and bad but I wanna see what you built.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

nielsm posted:

You will definitely get negative happiness from not having any mail service at all, and it can be enough to heavily stunt your city's development.

I've got a -7 to -15 on all my buildings tagged either "mail service" or "unreliable mail service" despite 5 post offices and a processing plant. Deleting them all doesn't seem to change that debuff (someone else might want to try it though).

You may get a short term boost from adding them as they fill up, but since nothing moves once its full it doesn't seem to do much long term.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is there any sustainable way to make low rent housing without everyone abandoning it and having it collapse, rinse repeat? Seems impossible to overcome the small rooms/living space -16 malus.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Does anyone have some screenshots of their cool cities? I know this game is dumb and bad but I wanna see what you built.

None of mine, but here's some cool ones I've seen on the subreddit recently:

from Sim City 4 Style Shots. progress after 30 hours.:

from There is a new development in the downtown area:

and a cool industrial area from Industrial Curves

and this one I really like because it's a big departure from how I usually build. I usually try to go Manhattan level density as soon as possible, with tight grids and every bit of land zoned. This guy uses a lot more empty area and gives everything room to breathe, which I think ends up looking pretty good. From "I love this game"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

buglord posted:

Is there any sustainable way to make low rent housing without everyone abandoning it and having it collapse, rinse repeat? Seems impossible to overcome the small rooms/living space -16 malus.

I can't figure it out either. The small homes hit is enormous and there's nothing you can do about it because it's a cheap apartment building so... of course it has small homes.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

buglord posted:

Very possible.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is it something about screenshots that makes a lot of the smaller buildings look 2D or does it actually look that way when you're playing the game

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Are the regional packs that're supposed to be coming out soon going to have different service buildings - schools, clinics, etc. - in them? Plopping the same elementary school over and over is a lil dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

No one knows, the only info is what was in that video. I certainly hope so and that they're full on themes with different road markings and such. Giving me some Japanese or Chinese buildings is cool but none of the service buildings fit at all with either of those.