Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

houthis need to get military access through sa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

OctaMurk posted:

Bombed what hospital? Bombing a hospital is mentioned nowhere in that tweet or in the link you provided. They talk about bombing a convoy of ambulances leaving the hospital.

Also, is it really so impossible that it was in fact full of weapons/Hamas? If I were Hamas, I'd probably use ambulances to move things around so as to not attract attention and deter strikes. That incentive seems pretty clear to me. I don't see the incentive for Israel to bomb ambulances carrying non-combatants or not carrying key infrastructure of Hamas, other than to terrorize the population. But given how many eyes are on this conflict I find it hard to believe that some IDF commander is calling shots like that. That's not to say that mistakes can't happen, and that sick and extreme people who hold sway over the lives of innocents don't exist. But I just can't see most IDF leaders waking up and going "ok let's bomb some drat ambulances today!" as a policy.

I'm so tired...

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

Ardennes posted:

I don't think Hezbollah could do that much to the IAF without the US getting involved, but they probably do need to press the ground more if only to acceleration the attrition they are doing to Israeli armor.

Now the Israelis are committed to a ground fight, a lot of is going to depend about having trained crews and fully serviced equipment, Hezbollah would do Hamas a big favor but forcing more armor to be taken from the south.

I do think Hezbollah only by playing by US' rules is going to lead to only a strategic loss, the US sets rules for a reason. I don't know if a huge public speech with a bunch of fanfare was the right call if they aren't going to be stepping up in any real way or allowing the US to dictate the outcome. Hezbollah has the ground capacity to press into the Israelis even if they aren't going to be marching to Tel Aviv.

Also, btw, Hezbollah does have a armor corps, they were using it in Syria. It is mostly T-55/T-72s, but the T-72s specifically probably to match a Merkava with the right upgrades. They don't have a air force, but they have a huge missile/drone corps (which honestly is in some ways replacing traditional strike craft anyway).

They have ways to put a lot of pressure on the Israelis, the question is what is the calibration.

imo one of the most effective methods of putting pressure on US-Israel is turning up the heat in Syria and Iraq. Keep attacking US bases, and perhaps with luck make the situations there truly untenable. Maybe, just maybe the US would force Israel to back off if sufficiently pressured, if the alternative was the complete collapse of their military position in the region.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

feels like one s-400 battalion could beat the entire idf

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

[P v I] Bombed what hospital?

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

speaking of us bases another one got hit in northern iraq just now

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

HallelujahLee posted:

houthis need to get military access through sa

im not sure we would be able to prevent dnd from shutting down crossings through the forum

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
https://twitter.com/itranslate123/status/1720557414527668358?s=20

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

It can be hard to find good sources (in English...) about how the enormous empires of the early Caliphates actually worked, but from my understanding, once a more regular imperial governance was implemented after the initial period of expansion it was all about (for the new imperial elites) securing governorships of provinces, so that you could extract tax revenues, and hopefully get out before your successor would accuse you of stealing said tax revenues and try to extort your hard-gotten wealth from you; in some ways very much like the Roman senatorial governorship system. I wonder if anyone has written anything about the similarities between Rome and the early Caliphate from that perspective?

paging frosted flake

from the little I came across in political economic history of the period, Islam could be regarded as a a systematic, aggregated social innovation in comparison to the previous social mode. An interwoven state/organized religion with an ethos of law and justice, anchored in communalism (as an absolute necessary social condition to prosper in harsh climates) and then subsequently catapulting forward by absorbing Greek, Roman, Persian and Indian philosophical developments and sciences. Iirc, Islamic practices of governance were the actual anti-Roman superweapons: the guys doing the conquering were not only politically but also religiously tasked to do a basic of fair ruling, seen in fundamental principles like zakat and sadaqah, which outright offered a much better social contract than the Roman one

(also this seems to be a good moment to ask if anyone knows some solid reading recs about the end of the Islamic golden age: I remember coming across that a school of thought won and had a very different interpretation of scientific development unlike the then-dominant line, or something like that, which contributed for fragmentation as the polities turned inward on their matters)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

stumblebum posted:

im not sure we would be able to prevent dnd from shutting down crossings through the forum
we can have a humanitarian pause with dnd for a very short time to allow it

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Time for the Communists to step up again

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

PawParole posted:

Contrary to the popular narrative of Islam spreading by the sword, the ummayads banned all conversion to Islam expect for Umar 2 and wanted to make Islam an ethno-religion for the Arab conquerors.

A good book on this would be “Black Banners from the East”, about the abbasid revolution

holy poo poo I am waaaay behind on my literature then

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

e: nws, removed

basically a clip from cnn about the ambulance bombing saying evidence from the red cross contradicts the idf claims that the victims were hamas terrorists

Maya Fey has issued a correction as of 22:53 on Nov 3, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
maya i'd really not post that embedded tweet

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

you might want to delete that

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Cuttlefush posted:

maya i'd really not post that embedded tweet

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

mayabe not a good idea

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
then again i wouldnt post any embedded tweet

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/W7VOA/status/1720559082963136763?s=20

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
theres cringe and gore on cnn......

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

wait why are we not posting tweets? I missed something

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Al Aqsa Flood... Roll Tide

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

Grilled Beef posted:

look, not mocking you for not knowing this, appreciate that you asked, but that you are too young to have watched and know one of the classic golden era Simpsons bits just aged me 10,000 years in a second, like the end of Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

If it helps, I’m in my 30s, I just never watched the Simpsons

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

sorry about that, edited

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

is it because of the gore?

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

mdemone posted:

dead children. at least I think (didn’t start the vid. no thanks)

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

France is a shitheap colonist state.
They claim to be based on "Equality, brotherhood, Freedom" and they still collected reparations from Haiti until a decade or so ago for the liberation of literal slaves because loving frenchies lost out when their slaves revolted.
They bitch constantly that France is being overrun with people from all over Africa, conveniently ignoring that France spent decades colonising those peoples home countries.

If you don't want to have a large immigrant African population, maybe don't spend a century robbing their home countries France, you dipshit, dumbass loathsome posturing shitbag country.

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

mdemone posted:

is it because of the gore?

Yes, that's been strictly off limits in this subforum for... at least a year, and is now forum wide a ban+30

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

mdemone posted:

yep no tweets

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

snack soul posted:

dead children. at least I think (didn’t start the vid. no thanks)

ahhhh gotcha

fair point

Morbus
May 18, 2004

HallelujahLee posted:

why is the plo even invited the have literally no supporters anywhere or any actual power

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

VoicesCanBe posted:

imo one of the most effective methods of putting pressure on US-Israel is turning up the heat in Syria and Iraq. Keep attacking US bases, and perhaps with luck make the situations there truly untenable. Maybe, just maybe the US would force Israel to back off if sufficiently pressured, if the alternative was the complete collapse of their military position in the region.

It is useful, but I think the IDF's ground force is a better pressure point. Hitting an IAF base is a red line, but it is clear that hitting Merkavas isn't one. The more Merkavas and armor you take out in the north, the more it is putting pressure on the Israeli ground operation in the south.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Socialized posted:

If it helps, I’m in my 30s, I just never watched the Simpsons

Ironic username/post combo

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1720218011120894347

The replies to this are loving garbage

carcinofuck
Apr 18, 2001
pink floyd still sucks

dead gay comedy forums posted:

paging frosted flake

from the little I came across in political economic history of the period, Islam could be regarded as a a systematic, aggregated social innovation in comparison to the previous social mode. An interwoven state/organized religion with an ethos of law and justice, anchored in communalism (as an absolute necessary social condition to prosper in harsh climates) and then subsequently catapulting forward by absorbing Greek, Roman, Persian and Indian philosophical developments and sciences. Iirc, Islamic practices of governance were the actual anti-Roman superweapons: the guys doing the conquering were not only politically but also religiously tasked to do a basic of fair ruling, seen in fundamental principles like zakat and sadaqah, which outright offered a much better social contract than the Roman one

(also this seems to be a good moment to ask if anyone knows some solid reading recs about the end of the Islamic golden age: I remember coming across that a school of thought won and had a very different interpretation of scientific development unlike the then-dominant line, or something like that, which contributed for fragmentation as the polities turned inward on their matters)

Destiny Disrupted by Tamim Ansary talks about this a bit.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Q: What's the only thing that separates OSINT guys from run of the mill comment trolls?

A: The National Endowment for Democracy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

carcinofuck posted:

Destiny Disrupted by Tamim Ansary talks about this a bit.

quoted so I can find this post later

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

lol where exactly do they plan on sending them?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

PhilippAchtel posted:

[P v I] Bombed what hospital?

its a new one every day so yeah hard to keep up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Dokapon Findom posted:

Q: What's the only thing that separates OSINT guys from run of the mill comment trolls?

A: The National Endowment for Democracy

Is that the national monument?