Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FFT posted:

"We haven't heard from them since 26:30 Atlantis Standard Time."

the gently caress standard time is that, then

(shortly before Ronan's introduction in Atlantis S2E03)

Presumably the planet Atlantis is on has a different rotation rate than Earth. It's like when they reference the 26-hour Bajoran day in DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That's why you standardize to the planet, it makes no sense to "standardize" to a different planet and then also have more hours in a day.

A Bajoran day might be ~26 standard hours, but a Bajoran day isn't 26 standard Bajoran hours.

Also there's the whole "24 hours is useful because it can be divided cleanly a whole bunch of ways" aspect.

stringless fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 3, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Let's face it, Atlantis wasn't the best run command base.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

redshirt posted:

I love the meta meta that Joe references The Simpsons.

The revelation that Jack has just been having these visions for years and thought they were nice was amazing

Also what's the actual end game of that episode there's a dude who seems to be just out there with full knowledge of the Stargate, Jack presumably also informs his wife, so are these two now just massive national security threats?

Rewatching these later episodes it's also clear that any sort of reboot would make the Russian participation very interesting. Can't imagine how they'd square that circle nowadays, even though the Russians involved with the Stargate are the "good" ones.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

"When the issues with the Russian government started we offered their SG teams temporary citizenship" or whatever handy wave bullshit moves past that without directly getting political. The last thing SG needs is to reference real world events.

Did they ever do anything for 9/11? That happened during this run.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

"When the issues with the Russian government started we offered their SG teams temporary citizenship" or whatever handy wave bullshit moves past that without directly getting political. The last thing SG needs is to reference real world events.

Did they ever do anything for 9/11? That happened during this run.

I can't recall any reference to it specifically. There's a vague reference, I suppose, in that alternate universe episode in season 9 or 10 when Landry is President and the US is under Martial Law.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

Also what's the actual end game of that episode there's a dude who seems to be just out there with full knowledge of the Stargate, Jack presumably also informs his wife, so are these two now just massive national security threats?
They sign NDAs and that's it, duh.

/e: i'm on the Atlantis episode where Rodney gets a mind-meld, I forgot how hilarious it was

stringless fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 3, 2023

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Threads would have been a wonderful end to the series, and Mobius is so much fun. You can really tell that Shanks and Tapping are having a lot of fun playing their alternative selves.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

EvilHawk posted:

Threads would have been a wonderful end to the series, and Mobius is so much fun. You can really tell that Shanks and Tapping are having a lot of fun playing their alternative selves.

They’re hamming it up in the best way. Timid Carter is so good. Shanks is basically just being Spader

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I saw this on Reddit so now you all have to see it

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Armacham posted:

Thank you 🙏

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I am kind of sad they never went full farscape with how weird poo poo could get

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I'm two episodes in to the Ori storyline and the Jaffa politics is already the absolute loving worst part of the last two seasons

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I felt the Ori were kind of Meh, but then I also didn't feel that they needed a new big bad. The big bad could just be social and technical problems related to humanity establishing itself as an interstellar empire

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also it broke my heart in the last episode when the knowledge of the asgard was lost :eng99:

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

alexandriao posted:

I felt the Ori were kind of Meh, but then I also didn't feel that they needed a new big bad. The big bad could just be social and technical problems related to humanity establishing itself as an interstellar empire

Early on they're super weird and creepy. The Goa'uld did get quite stale, "super evil bad guys being all mischievous" only has so many goes before it's just accepted.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Goa'uld voice

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Armacham posted:

This is now canon

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Armacham posted:

*crosses PSPSPS-343 off the list of authorized dialing codes*

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
The problem with the Ori is that they are just the Goa'uld without any of the things that make the Goa'uld interesting or fun. They are just "sufficiently advanced aliens pretending to be gods." The Goa'uld were fun because they were all eccentric assholes high on their own farts who committed hard to the bit and/or came to genuinely buy into it. The Ori were not really seen and their servants were boring true believers.

I agree that something new was probably needed by that point, but that therein is exactly the problem: the Ori were not new. They were just the same enemy as before, only vastly less interesting.
Say whatever you want about the Wraith or Replicators but they were both very much not the Goa'uld.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

The problem with the Ori is that they are just the Goa'uld without any of the things that make the Goa'uld interesting or fun. They are just "sufficiently advanced aliens pretending to be gods." The Goa'uld were fun because they were all eccentric assholes high on their own farts who committed hard to the bit and/or came to genuinely buy into it. The Ori were not really seen and their servants were boring true believers.

I agree that something new was probably needed by that point, but that therein is exactly the problem: the Ori were not new. They were just the same enemy as before, only vastly less interesting.
Say whatever you want about the Wraith or Replicators but they were both very much not the Goa'uld.

Yeah this exactly!! :hmmyes:

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Armacham posted:

This style of art reminds me of Choose Your Own Adventure books. This one would be named Stargate SG-1: First Contact with Furlings.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I liked the concept of the Ori - "oh poo poo, it's evil ancients who really ARE gods! How the gently caress are we gonna win?!"

And then, they kinda weren't seen. At all. A couple of evil priests, but no constant "oh poo poo its a snakehead" vibe

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FFT posted:

That's why you standardize to the planet, it makes no sense to "standardize" to a different planet and then also have more hours in a day.

A Bajoran day might be ~26 standard hours, but a Bajoran day isn't 26 standard Bajoran hours.

Also there's the whole "24 hours is useful because it can be divided cleanly a whole bunch of ways" aspect.

That just causes more problems down the line!

"Next communique in 90 minutes Atlantis, SGC out."
"Wait wait wait, is that Atlantis minutes or Earth minutes?"
"We're communicating from Earth so, Earth minutes?"
"Yeah but you're talking to us, shouldn't you be working with our numbers? This is how that Mars probe crashed!"
":ughh:"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

FFT posted:

yeah it does if all you're doing is standardizing the length of a day

you maintain the earth length second minutes and hours that people are used to because if you don't nobody will have any idea how to judge the passage of time and will slowly go nuts and but you then actually sync it with the planet you're living on so there isn't constant drift where you're on Earth time so Noon is in the middle of the night and things like "tomorrow" still have meaning that don't require you to constantly watch clocks. if the planet you're based on has a day length that is like, 27 hours and 40 minutes it makes more sense to do this than to rigidly stick to Earth time and have the concept of a "day" no longer have any relation to reality or to change the system all the way down to maintain a 24 hour clock so that a minute is actually like 1 minute and 15 seconds and everyone who has lived on Earth time forever is constantly out of step. Just go: yeah, there's an extra 3 hours and 40 minutes now, the clock flips over at 27:39. If you have to actually interact with people on Earth use Earth time.

if the length of the day is too far off, like it's 3 hours or 12 years or something then you have to just give up and use earth time, but there's no indication that that's the case

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

That just causes more problems down the line!

"Next communique in 90 minutes Atlantis, SGC out."
"Wait wait wait, is that Atlantis minutes or Earth minutes?"
"We're communicating from Earth so, Earth minutes?"
"Yeah but you're talking to us, shouldn't you be working with our numbers? This is how that Mars probe crashed!"
":ughh:"

Don't they standardize on SGC time? Like for instance in that episode when Jack and Teal'c are on that runaway 301.

They mention "Zulu" in all their time readings.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
The kim Stanley Robinson mars books had a whole murder mystery sub plot because of the Martian clock freezing at midnight to sync up the time every day.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Armacham posted:

The kim Stanley Robinson mars books had a whole murder mystery sub plot because of the Martian clock freezing at midnight to sync up the time every day.

LOL I'm on Green Mars now and I'm still loving pissed at Frank loving Chalmers

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Daniel will find a clock built by the Ancients that apparently runs on a universal atomic time measurement. Sam will figure that it works by counting microseconds down to the eventual heat death of the universe.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

Daniel will find a clock built by the Ancients that apparently runs on a universal atomic time measurement. Sam will figure that it works by counting microseconds down to the eventual heat death of the universe.

With all due respect Sir,

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

Don't they standardize on SGC time? Like for instance in that episode when Jack and Teal'c are on that runaway 301.

They mention "Zulu" in all their time readings.

Zulu means UTC, as in

2023-11-04T11:18Z

as a short form for

2023-11-04T11:18+0000

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Exactly. Everything has to run on UTC (possibly adjusted to Mountain time for Colorado) for consistency, but there's absolutely no reason for "atlantis standard time" to have more hours and it's clear from the complete lack of further explanation that the line was written in solely to make it clear that they're on a different planet without any thought to what that standard would actually mean.

/e: They put less thought into this for Starfield and made more sense

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 4, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

FFT posted:

Exactly. Everything has to run on UTC (possibly adjusted to Mountain time for Colorado) for consistency, but there's absolutely no reason for "atlantis standard time" to have more hours and it's clear from the complete lack of further explanation that the line was written in solely to make it clear that they're on a different planet without any thought to what that standard would actually mean.

I'm convinced they were all dumbasses on Atlantis.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

redshirt posted:

I'm convinced they were all dumbasses on Atlantis.
They did put McKay in charge of the science stuff while he was pre-Stargate Atlantis McKay, you've got a point.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FFT posted:

/e: They put less thought into this for Starfield and made more sense

Apples and oranges, the X-301 was in space, like how the ISS uses science-standard UTC because it moves way too fast for external reference to matter. Expecting people living on-planet in another solar system with intermittent, formerly no, contact with Earth to maintain Earthbound scheduling over observing at least the local time of day is ridiculous on its face. And it makes perfect sense for Atlantis Standard Time to exist, because Atlantis is the base of operations in the Pegasus galaxy and all of the offworld operations would be synchronizing to their local time.

Read this post and find the logical inconsistency:

cock hero flux posted:

yeah it does if all you're doing is standardizing the length of a day

you maintain the earth length second minutes and hours that people are used to because if you don't nobody will have any idea how to judge the passage of time and will slowly go nuts and but you then actually sync it with the planet you're living on so there isn't constant drift where you're on Earth time so Noon is in the middle of the night and things like "tomorrow" still have meaning that don't require you to constantly watch clocks. if the planet you're based on has a day length that is like, 27 hours and 40 minutes it makes more sense to do this than to rigidly stick to Earth time and have the concept of a "day" no longer have any relation to reality or to change the system all the way down to maintain a 24 hour clock so that a minute is actually like 1 minute and 15 seconds and everyone who has lived on Earth time forever is constantly out of step. Just go: yeah, there's an extra 3 hours and 40 minutes now, the clock flips over at 27:39. If you have to actually interact with people on Earth use Earth time.

if the length of the day is too far off, like it's 3 hours or 12 years or something then you have to just give up and use earth time, but there's no indication that that's the case

You can't, because there isn't any.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 4, 2023

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I will not

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Weir's a civilian! She won't bow down to your logical military time!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
You're forgetting that the SG project is headed by American military, that means that almost every 4 years a new administration will come in and pass executive orders that flip-flop whether UTC or Atlantis Standard is the basis for Pegasus operations

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I was thinking about Daniel's actual job/title/position as I was watching last night. When he first joins the team he is there purely as an advisor. He rarely if ever carries a gun, he's there to talk to people and do the archeology stuff.

Then he starts carrying a Zat/pistol, becoming more involved in the actual military side of things, clearly trained in the tactics of the SG teams.

By Season 8 he's basically another soldier/airman. He carries the P90, full tactical gear, the whole 9 yards. He doesn't appear to have any sort of rank or obvious position in the miliary hierarchy, but he is able to direct military tactics and people defer to his leadership. When he's aboard the X-301/Daedalous he gets sent off to tackle boarders and deal with threats.

So at that stage is he... a contractor? Mercenary? Is he directly employed by the air force or the DOD? What shows on his pay stubs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

He keeps getting posthumous promotions