Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Does anyone have a weird bug where the game picks up a horrendous 'stutter' after you alt-tab out? Like it'll still run like normal, then seemingly hitch every 5-15 seconds until you reboot the game. I'd really love to find a workaround for this because its loving impossible for me to remember not to alt-tab, beyond it also being a massive inconvenience.

e: gently caress. it wasn't an alt-tab thing, seems like a save-game thing now. :/

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

piratepilates posted:

None of mine, but here's some cool ones I've seen on the subreddit recently:

from Sim City 4 Style Shots. progress after 30 hours.:

from There is a new development in the downtown area:

and a cool industrial area from Industrial Curves

and this one I really like because it's a big departure from how I usually build. I usually try to go Manhattan level density as soon as possible, with tight grids and every bit of land zoned. This guy uses a lot more empty area and gives everything room to breathe, which I think ends up looking pretty good. From "I love this game"

man that last shot is inspiring. there's a youtube named Infrastructurist who's been doing videos on "realistic" city builds and his stuff is kind of like this too. I too end up painting every empty space with buildings but having some breathing room looks great and makes a lot more sense for the average (not NYC) city.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

piratepilates posted:

Ah I see you've met Cities: Skylines 1.

But, kinda. I mean C:S1 wasn't that great of a game, it just did one or two things well that people ended up really liking. It was never that strong of a game.

C:S2 takes those things, improves on them, has a more realistic scale, fleshes out the simulation underneath, etc.

It's just underbaked and without all the mods and DLC that people are used to the game having. I'm warming up to it, I think it's actually not bad, good even, but it's like an unfinished city toy instead of a game or in-depth comprehensive city simulator.
CS:1 had issues, but mods really saved them and made CS:1 have the longevity that it did. If mods are implemented in a horrible way for CS:2 that'll be the real nail in the coffin.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
Firefighting helicopters carry 300 m^3 of water and I think every one should consider that for a moment.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ostrava posted:

Firefighting helicopters carry 300 m^3 of water and I think every one should consider that for a moment.

A quick wikipedia puts this at only about 15x the maximum payload for the Russian Mi-26.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wow transit usage really did go up with the patch. 41k to 58k riders and I have done nothing except run the simulation.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

GlassEye-Boy posted:

CS:1 had issues, but mods really saved them and made CS:1 have the longevity that it did. If mods are implemented in a horrible way for CS:2 that'll be the real nail in the coffin.

if you think that mods were able to fix cs1 then i can't really imagine how the ones in 2 could disappoint. a lot of the more popular CS1 mod functions are built into CS2 already. being able to place textures/props/move things around are all available with the dev tools so they should be relatively easy to mod into the game, while stuff like TMPE and Real Time are or are mostly in the base game already

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 4, 2023

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

if you think that mods were able to fix cs1 then i can't really imagine how the ones in 2 could disappoint

Mods don't just appear out of the aether. You need the right people to be passionate enough about a game to put in the effort. It's quite possible for a sequel to not recapture the original game's audience or not inspire the same passion in the people who develop mods. KSP2 is a great example of that. I don't think CS2's launch is nearly as bad as KSP2s was though, so its overall prospects are good.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Bedurndurn posted:

Mods don't just appear out of the aether. You need the right people to be passionate enough about a game to put in the effort. It's quite possible for a sequel to not recapture the original game's audience or not inspire the same passion in the people who develop mods. KSP2 is a great example of that. I don't think CS2's launch is nearly as bad as KSP2s was though, so its overall prospects are good.

you don't really need people to be passionate about the game when you effectively hire modders to make mod content for you

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Some random cim is in the middle of loving nowhere needing an ambulance. Don't know how it happened, maybe really bad car accident? Anyway, he's hosed.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Bedurndurn posted:

CS2 has already surpassed CS1 all time peak players on Steam and it's currently averaging higher than CS1 ever really did. That's not counting some people currently playing CS1 possibly waiting to buy it or for further patches.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Popete posted:

CS2 has already surpassed CS1 all time peak players on Steam and it's currently averaging higher than CS1 ever really did. That's not counting some people currently playing CS1 possibly waiting to buy it or for further patches.

Microsoft certification!!! :f5:

So for goons in the game making business, is it CO's, PDX's, or M$'s fault for the delay in hotfixes on the pc gamepass end?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Anyone know what the usage percentage means on transit lines? Is it just how full the vehicles are?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Grand Fromage posted:

Anyone know what the usage percentage means on transit lines? Is it just how full the vehicles are?

I believe so, yeah

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

MikeC posted:

Microsoft certification!!! :f5:

So for goons in the game making business, is it CO's, PDX's, or M$'s fault for the delay in hotfixes on the pc gamepass end?

I'm not in the games business but Gamepass versions seem to always lag behind Steam.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

As someone who's struggled getting a good city off the ground, any tips?

I feel like I'm building too fast for my economy, since overall that seems to run a lot slower than CS1 did

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Popete posted:

I'm not in the games business but Gamepass versions seem to always lag behind Steam.

Apparently Microsoft does actual QA on the Gamepass updates to make sure they pass some bar of quality. Valve doesn't care, they let the studios push whatever updates.

Means Steam gets updates fast, Gamepass takes however long the QA takes, hope you didn't submit the patch too close to a weekend.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
it seems to take a good long while to hit positive cashflow, as long as you're growing your tax base and hitting milestones you're fine

there are also a few spots in my current city where I did some math and realized that if I hadn't bolted on like, a sports stadium on the high school and a few other extras. I'd have been in the green

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

death cob for cutie posted:

it seems to take a good long while to hit positive cashflow, as long as you're growing your tax base and hitting milestones you're fine

there are also a few spots in my current city where I did some math and realized that if I hadn't bolted on like, a sports stadium on the high school and a few other extras. I'd have been in the green

Yeah, and messing with the taxes and budgets can help too. Raise taxes on segments that are already doing good, maybe lower them on lower educated residential. Lower some of the budgets if you have some headroom, like healthcare -- don't lower education, or your citizens will be educated slower, and education is the main way to make them higher earners.

You also don't need all services at the beginning, education is the main one since it gets your citizens in to higher earners and will help level up buildings. The rest you can skimp on to varying degrees.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

As a big fan of the anno games the whole production chain aspect of the new economy sounds interesting for skylines 2. Is this actually something that is relevant to the gameplay or is it just a veneer for the UI to give some apparent depth to the gameplay?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's essentially nonexistent compared to Anno.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Anime Store Adventure posted:

A quick wikipedia puts this at only about 15x the maximum payload for the Russian Mi-26.

Literally unplayable.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014

Popete posted:

Console games require a certification pass on patches. There are specific exclusions and red tape you can avoid but any time you're watching for a patch on console you can safely bet it's the platform holder slowing stuff down.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pop 72k, 89k monthly transit riders. Pretty neat. Again, unsure how many trips per month citizens take so I have no real idea how much that is but there's only one intersection in the whole city that has any traffic backup at all, so I guess that's a lot. Couple lines were slammed enough they needed more vehicles.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How in the world do you make effective bus lines? I tried making a more or less organic city and my brain cannot supply the horsepower needed to think about where bus stops should be.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m not sure if it’s actually smart but the way I’ve set up my transit that seems to work is hierarchical. Busses make small loops through local neighborhoods, stopping at collector roads (medium roads/avenues) that have tram stops. Trams run between all the neighborhoods on avenues that aren’t explicitly “high density downtown” - they still have a stop downtown, but it’s more a transfer to either the subway or local downtown busses. Most transit has some kind of nearby stop to any major intercity transit like an airport or train station.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

buglord posted:

How in the world do you make effective bus lines? I tried making a more or less organic city and my brain cannot supply the horsepower needed to think about where bus stops should be.

I dunno that I'm the bus expert but. There are basically two ways to lay out your line, and a few types of line.

The first layout is linear. You start the line somewhere, connect it to somewhere else, then send it back to the starting point. When you lay this line out you usually put a stop on both sides of the road so the bus picks people up going both directions.

The other layout is circular. You make a loop where the bus goes one direction. Often you'll still put down two stops and end up making two lines, one going one direction and one going the other. Clockwise and counter clockwise.

The first type of line is one connecting residences to workplaces. You want to send this line through neighborhoods and areas with offices and/or industry so people use it for commuting. This type of line also will likely bring people to places to shop unless you're really isolating your commercial.

The second is connecting points of interest. Think of a line from a residential area to a university or something.

The third is what I usually name a feeder line. You put down a train or subway station, then have a small bus loop through the neighborhood that stops at the station. This bus doesn't go anywhere on its own, its purpose is to bring people to the train which they then take to wherever they want to go. It's a way to increase the area a station can serve.

Fundamentally the thing that unites them all is you need the line to connect two places people want to be. A bus line that only stops in one zone type isn't very useful. Your sims need to go to work and to leisure activities. The bus line needs to connect those together.

The other thing is you need transfer points. One bus line can't go everywhere, so you have two lines going different locations and at some point they cross and share a bus stop, where people will jump to the other line if they need to. If you have trains it's good to have these transfer points near train stations. It's also good to have more than one so you don't get a gigantic mass of people waiting at a single super bus stop. You can build bus transfer centers though, where several bus lines all meet at one big station for people to connect. I don't remember if CS2 has one of those as a building, I think it does, but you can also make your own using one-way roads and bus lanes.

MelancholyMark
May 5, 2009

I think the patch destroyed traffic in my city, there are like multiple traffic jams going on at any one time and when I look at the causes of them they're all like this:
https://streamable.com/juhmn0
They last until the offending cars despawn but then shortly after somewhere else nearby will get a similarly bugged car and start the whole thing over again. I think the weirdest one I saw was a single car in a divided six lane large road causing the entire side of the road it was on to not get past it while it was stuck trying to right turn into a building. With how slow my simulation is running on my old 8700k with 250k pop it's basically made the game unplayable with my current city since a traffic jam like that lasts like 5-10 min of real time for me even at the fastest speed.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish there were a circular curve tool that'll create perfectly round curves starting tangentially from the road I'm starting to draw and attempts to hit the end point under the cursor with the shortest curve possible.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

That's basically what the "continuous curve" building tool does, except not for the first segment.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Grand Fromage posted:

The other thing is you need transfer points. One bus line can't go everywhere, so you have two lines going different locations and at some point they cross and share a bus stop, where people will jump to the other line if they need to. If you have trains it's good to have these transfer points near train stations. It's also good to have more than one so you don't get a gigantic mass of people waiting at a single super bus stop. You can build bus transfer centers though, where several bus lines all meet at one big station for people to connect. I don't remember if CS2 has one of those as a building, I think it does, but you can also make your own using one-way roads and bus lanes.

Bus stations are indeed a building, and quite a nice one for managing lines at that. Six stops base with an upgrade for another six, but as with other stops lines can share stops, so you can double up on less frequent lines like regional coaches or whatever.

This game is anti-car pilling me. Specifically because these motherfuckers will park on any available roadside but love to ignore actual parking lots.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Dr. Clockwork posted:

man that last shot is inspiring. there's a youtube named Infrastructurist who's been doing videos on "realistic" city builds and his stuff is kind of like this too. I too end up painting every empty space with buildings but having some breathing room looks great and makes a lot more sense for the average (not NYC) city.

Here's my 25k town with zero postal service or garbage pickup:

Can't wait for thoses proper asset packs though, the EU assets aren't great imo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

No one knows, the only info is what was in that video. I certainly hope so and that they're full on themes with different road markings and such. Giving me some Japanese or Chinese buildings is cool but none of the service buildings fit at all with either of those.

The trailer shows off a Chinese Modern style library building so there's definitely going to be some some service buildings, but who knows if there'll be alts for existing ones.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ms Adequate posted:

This game is anti-car pilling me. Specifically because these motherfuckers will park on any available roadside but love to ignore actual parking lots.

Are you adjusting on-street parking costs? Not sure if it actually dissuades them yet but at least it can pay for cheap public transport or lot parking if not

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bedurndurn posted:

You do know that a bunch of CS1 modders got early access to both the game and modding tools, right? CO actually made a pretty decent play on CS2 mods if you ask me, the people who make the mods already have access so that when the general population finally gets access, there's actually useful and good poo poo in the mod shop. It's gonna be much better overall from what I've read as Steam Workshop is somewhat restrictive and isn't super deep feature wise, Paradox mods is supposed to fix that.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Ms Adequate posted:

my god, it's just like real life!

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Has anyone figured out why double-track lines only sometimes create crossovers at station entrances? It's driving me crazy!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I’m gathering that once a building is abandoned you should just bulldoze it immediately which is kind of silly because if you improve the conditions, people should find the building attractive again. But I guess in CS2 world it’s permanently cursed because you didn’t have enough parks nearby.

Also one thing that I hope is a bug they’re working on: why do I need an elementary school at 15% capacity every three blocks to make people happy? I grew up in a low density Midwestern sprawl of 21,000 people and the four elementary schools in town were more than sufficient.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Has anyone figured out why double-track lines only sometimes create crossovers at station entrances? It's driving me crazy!

I don't think the bottom rails are a track, just a passthrough. There's a station upgrade to add a platform to that one, then it'll probably get crossovers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

As a big fan of the anno games the whole production chain aspect of the new economy sounds interesting for skylines 2. Is this actually something that is relevant to the gameplay or is it just a veneer for the UI to give some apparent depth to the gameplay?
I haven't played a ton, but at best it feels like booze in 1800. You do not need to do anything with the production chain. Setting it up doesn't unlock anything. Everything will just automatically buy what it needs if you don't have it. But if you do set it up you somehow end up with a whole lot more money.

At least the one time I played by the time I unlocked all industry types I was running a huge deficit, and then after doing nothing but setting up all the industry types that had been heavily imported (there's a nice screen to tell you which these are) I ended up with a huge surplus. Pretty satisfying. But if you're looking for a challenge, kind of pointless because you get giant piles of money at every milestone pretty regularly at the start of the game so running a deficit is not actually an issue you need to address at all.