Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a setting to make a game always launch in VR from VR, it's in the options in the SteamVR dashboard for each specific game somewhere. I can't remember where off the top of my head.

edit: Found it. Game, click the cog, Properties, Launch Options.
I think that's just the regular option? "Launch VR Chat in Steam VR Mode" / "Launch in Desktop (Non-VR) Mode" I checked from within Steam VR and it looked the same as outside of VR. This is just the generic launch option selector that most steam games have, and for whatever reason old SteamVR seemed to have an auto detect, at least with VRChat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I haven't seen that with other games myself, might be just VR chat? Or headset dependent.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

Since the SteamVR update, I've noticed two annoying things:

2) There's something really fucky with notifications - when I get in VR I'll start getting steam notifications for people on my friends list playing X or Y game, but it almost seems like im getting some weird massive backlog of these messages cause they will keep popping up for minutes on end of games people are not actually currently playing.

I've even turned off notification sounds and popups in the tray if im "in game" and still getting that poo poo. Just hearing random noises often.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

VRChat would launch in SteamVR if you had a headset on, but then would prompt you when you're in desktop mode iirc. Now it is more consistent in that it prompts you each time but that's more annoying to deal with.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

runaway dog posted:

Does anyone else still use a rift s and if so are you getting the thing where every time you put back on your headset, it wants you to redo guardian, even if you only took it off for less than a minute?

This was one of the major things that drove me to bite the bullet and get a Q3. I had to redraw my guardian constantly as you said. I never found a fix, and then sometimes it would freeze or stop up while I was redrawing it.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Clouseau posted:

This was one of the major things that drove me to bite the bullet and get a Q3. I had to redraw my guardian constantly as you said. I never found a fix, and then sometimes it would freeze or stop up while I was redrawing it.

the Q3 tech looks really good, but I only ever use pcvr and the compression puts me off.

the only ones around what I'm willing to spend right now are the hp reverb g2 v2 on ebay, or the dpvr e4 but the software IPD adjustment sounds gross, also that dumb box that hangs off the back, just got my workman's comp check and those reverbs are looking good.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Oxyclean posted:

2) There's something really fucky with notifications - when I get in VR I'll start getting steam notifications for people on my friends list playing X or Y game, but it almost seems like im getting some weird massive backlog of these messages cause they will keep popping up for minutes on end of games people are not actually currently playing.

Yeah I seemed to be getting every notification I've ever gotten on Steam over the last week so I just ended up disabling VR notifications completely.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

njsykora posted:

Yeah I seemed to be getting every notification I've ever gotten on Steam over the last week so I just ended up disabling VR notifications completely.

How did you do this? Steam VR is unusable for me right now because Cities Skylines 2 queued up 1000 in-progress notification achievements for demolishing buildings.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

How did you do this? Steam VR is unusable for me right now because Cities Skylines 2 queued up 1000 in-progress notification achievements for demolishing buildings.

Sorry, but that sounds hilarious 😂

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Those progress popups in cities skylines 2 are ridiculous, only other game I ever saw do it was Control and it was dumb there too, not specifically referring to vr just the normal game.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

It's in the VR Settings section of the Steam panel.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

ahh bought an open box g2 v2 god help me

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Nov 3, 2023

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

njsykora posted:

It's in the VR Settings section of the Steam panel.

Mine come from my tray icon I think

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wow Synth Riders is a real drain on the battery... maybe the MR mode uses more?

I hadn't really thought I would need a battery strap but hmm

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Wow Synth Riders is a real drain on the battery... maybe the MR mode uses more?

I hadn't really thought I would need a battery strap but hmm

MR destroys battery

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7296933316140272942

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I could do that I just don't want to.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I got my bobovr strap in for my quest 3. I can't believe that I've been playing with the stock strap up until now. It's such a huge improvement, But I'm having an embarrassingly hard time getting the top strap through, so I may have to live without it

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://www.roadtovr.com/echo-vr-mod-pc-vr-online-servers/

Huh.. wonder how long this lasts?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I've never heard of that game but it look kind of fun, makes me think, VR Blitzball would be pretty cool, yeah I'm one of those blitzball weirdos. It'd have to be some kind of real time version of it which wouldn't really be fundamentally blitzball anymore but still.

why bin a game that has a decent number of players in a walled garden ecosystem that's part of an already niche market?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Nov 4, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

quote:

The mod, which the creator calls a “proof-of-concept”, allows you to either run your own server or connect to other community servers. While Pokora states in the EchoRelay’s GitHub page that it’s “not intended to host unofficial services for the public,” the project is public and can be downloaded by anyone. Granted, you’ll need a copy of Echo VR on PC to begin with, which is no longer available via Meta’s PC Store.

quote:

Moreover, Pokora says the project won’t include continued support. “This project will never aim to go beyond the scope of personal educational research,” Pokora says, maintaining that there won’t be any further feature completion beyond what’s already available.

That sure looks like some carefully-worded legal-ese on the creator's part to fly as close to the sun as they can get away with. "I did this for my own sake as a personal project and just happened to share my work publically. Now, if OTHER PEOPLE were to, say, use this mod to revive the game for general public usage well... That's THEIR fault... :ninja:"

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

That Dance Dash game she's playing in other videos is still the thing I want the most lol

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7291522927592361258

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Professor Wayne posted:

I got my bobovr strap in for my quest 3. I can't believe that I've been playing with the stock strap up until now. It's such a huge improvement, But I'm having an embarrassingly hard time getting the top strap through, so I may have to live without it

It's not really necessary on the M3. It's actually easier to position without it.

I'm sure someone doing a lot of boxing or something might need it, but I haven't had it budge just playing Tabor & Into the Radius.

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug

Professor Wayne posted:

I just used a smaller, thinner, easier-to-bend velcro strap to get it started feeding thru. other folks have used like duct tape and such. But its really vestigial... Mine is loose on both my Q3 and Q2.

Played Powerwash VR a bit last night, I got a little woozy playing. But thats not saying much. It seemed like the game I played flat screen, but in VR. Graphics seem a bit dumbed down? Like spraying things doesn't make them "wet", just "not dirty". But otherwise seemed the same game? Granted, only did the first house in the campaign. So might change as things get more complex and framerate takes a dive.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

runaway dog posted:

why bin a game that has a decent number of players in a walled garden ecosystem that's part of an already niche market?

Because meta isn't the smartest company in the world and refuses to acknowledge esports for some reason.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Silly goons, esports aren't Teams meetings!

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

runaway dog posted:

Some dumb fuckers love money more than fun.

I'll buy a quest 3 to play and Echo Arena style sport again. It's the best thing I've ever played in VR

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Professor Wayne posted:

If you peel away the face padding from the velcro a bit, that strap is just velcroed on there and is completely detachable. That makes it a lot easier to thread through the attach point.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Novasol posted:

If you peel away the face padding from the velcro a bit, that strap is just velcroed on there and is completely detachable. That makes it a lot easier to thread through the attach point.

That worked like a charm, thanks!

I played around with different sound options last night. The built-in speakers are a big improvement from the Q2, but I think I'm going to continue using headphones in games where sound is important. It was difficult to ID ghosts by the sound of their footsteps in Phasmophobia, and being able to hear all the city sounds outside the game was distracting. I tried syncing up some bluetooth earbuds to my Q3 to see what that was like. Turns out that it's still hilariously bad. It took almost half a second for any sound to get to me.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
What are people doing with their Q1 now that it’s no longer supported? I already have a Q2 but hate the idea of letting a perfectly good Q1 go to waste.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I overhauled my home network stuff yesterday, part of which was removing my old mesh system from the home and replacing it with a single nice-rear end Nighthawk that does 6E. My plan was to try to use 6E around the house, but honestly it falls off so quickly with distance that the 5ghz out of the Nighthawk on a good channel is absolutely incredible for my wireless devices. I have the D-Link VR Air Bridge on my wired desktop and it might be placebo but I think the performance is noticeably better with the mesh out of the picture. So I decided to see if I can push it a bit further than I was before.

So some random subjective Virtual Desktop testing if anyone cares, with the Quest 3. I loaded up Pistol Whip which has some very small text on the level posters, and tested a few things, all at 90hz, Steam oversampling at 1.0x because Virtual Desktop does all the work there:

High vs. Ultra resolution - could not tell a difference in sharpness of the text or any kind of aliasing/shimmering difference.

HVEC 10-bit at 200Mbits vs. H264+ at 500Mbits (I thought the limit was 400Mbits, is this a recent update?) - could not tell a difference in sharpness of text, but H264+ at that bitrate at least did not pass the "turn head really quickly in Pistol Whip lobby" test, where stuff was getting overloaded and I'd get stutters/latency. The H264+ is just a less efficient codec so can cause latency more easily, and I don't believe it's adding any benefit in graphics quality.

So right now I'm able to play Alyx on my 3080 with HVEC 10-bit/High resolutions with the game at High settings and the internal dynamic resolution changing Alyx uses turned off (using the "-console -vconsole +vr_fidelity_level_auto 0 +vr_fidelity_level 3" command line arguments, which keep it at the 100% state) with a stable 90, which I'm really happy with. These settings also passed the Pistol Whip test which I find to be fairly stressful over Virtual Desktop due to the constant stage movement and amount you move your head/hands.

Ultimately I think I'm pretty set on the High Resolution + HVEC 10-bit/200Mbits combo with the 3080, I don't think there's much reason to squeak out a bit more Supersampling at Ultra when frame drops/stutters remove SO much more immersion/add so much more annoyance than any additional res is adding IMO.

Sacred Cow posted:

What are people doing with their Q1 now that it’s no longer supported? I already have a Q2 but hate the idea of letting a perfectly good Q1 go to waste.

Going to load mine up with a ton of pirated games and give it to my 12-year old nephew.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I've settled on HEVC 10-bit at around 125-150 Mbps personally. Once I start getting 150 and higher the headset decode set starts being the biggest hit to my latency. I can't imagine how long the headset decode is taking when you are doing 200-400 Mbps encodes.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Nalin posted:

I've settled on HEVC 10-bit at around 125-150 Mbps personally. Once I start getting 150 and higher the headset decode set starts being the biggest hit to my latency. I can't imagine how long the headset decode is taking when you are doing 200-400 Mbps encodes.

It's like 13ms for 200mbit HVEC10. Maybe a bit more?

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 6, 2023

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

With my 3070, Virtual Desktop, and a 6e router I got a steady 90fps with Alyx on max settings. Good poo poo.

MSFS2020 is now playable too. If I can fix the drat controls. Certain things I have to use the keyboard. My xbsx gamepad works for other things, and same with the Quest 3 controllers.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just picked up a secondhand quest 2 off craigslist from someone who just got a quest 3. I am surprised that sitting next to the router makes such a huge difference for youtube vr but it totally does.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Tunicate posted:

Just picked up a secondhand quest 2 off craigslist from someone who just got a quest 3. I am surprised that sitting next to the router makes such a huge difference for youtube vr but it totally does.

Yeah I have the dlink bridge thing on my desk and it's clearly better than trying to use even my high end Nighthawk house router. Just the direct connection and line of sight.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Cool thing to use to show off the Quest 2 or 3 to friends and family is the Titanic 3D trailer in the Bigscreen app. Like being in a movie theater for reals. They don’t have to mess with controls or anything.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

not looking good for pico

https://twitter.com/SadlyItsBradley/status/1721564042869834033

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Content is king. Doesn’t matter if the headset has better specs if it’s app store blows. It was also dumb of them to not sell it in the US. The biggest market for their product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

ChocNitty posted:

Cool thing to use to show off the Quest 2 or 3 to friends and family is the Titanic 3D trailer in the Bigscreen app. Like being in a movie theater for reals. They don’t have to mess with controls or anything.

I did this exact thing for my girlfriend when she first put on the headset. I would definitely recommend it for olds and new users.