Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Repo Man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

Wolfsheim posted:

After they announced an It Follows sequel I finally watched the director's huge bomb, Under the Silver Lake. I'd only heard bad things so maybe my expectations were low but it was pretty charming if you can stand hyper-indulgent Hollywood neo noir self-parody. Pairs well with Eyes Wide Shut.

It's one of those films I didn't want to end. The main character is kind of terrible, but I rooted for him. Definite Big Lebowski shaggy-dog story vibe.

Does he do 'Naruto' running at one point, with his arms by his side?

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Heads up if you have free MAX through Comcast my statement says they're going to start charging me for it starting in December.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

TheMopeSquad posted:

Heads up if you have free MAX through Comcast my statement says they're going to start charging me for it starting in December.

Like if you buy the channel HBO they're going to start charging you ALSO for Max?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I had Peacock free with comcast for a while, then they sent me an email saying that was ending but I could subscribe to it for $2/month. Not a fuckin chance.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Baron von Eevl posted:

I had Peacock free with comcast for a while, then they sent me an email saying that was ending but I could subscribe to it for $2/month. Not a fuckin chance.

i got them for the 30 buck a year special and outside of the DnD movie its commercials are aggravating and the amount of new poo poo they have for me is dire. i dont give a gently caress about reality tv and I dont consider Cocaine Bear a movie less a product.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Yeah I’m already out of starz things to watch, gonna cancel. Signed up for Brit box again to watch grand designs with some friends

Paramount might replace hbo for me, gently caress you hbo shouldn’t have canceled perry mason and winning time you dicks

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah they managed to convince me to do this and I'm pretty sure I haven't watched anything on it in the 3 months since. It's me, the sucker.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Night Moves is another good vibes driven clueless detective flick

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

should make a playlist. gosling did at least three of these movies

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

A MIRACLE posted:

Yeah I’m already out of starz things to watch, gonna cancel. Signed up for Brit box again to watch grand designs with some friends

Paramount might replace hbo for me, gently caress you hbo shouldn’t have canceled perry mason and winning time you dicks

drat it sucks that they canceled those

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The subtitles/audio track setup on most streaming services is dire. I'm in France, and I Just tried to watch In The Mood for Love with my partner as it's on Prime but they didn't have the original audio track available, only the French dub. There was also only one subtitle option which seemed to be a mix of french and English, idk we decided to watch something else. This is one of the worst I've come across but there's often something weird, e.g. subtitles will only be present when the dialogue is in the films main language - additional language sections will have nothing (this happened to me in EEAAO, I couldn't understand any of the first few minutes)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't get how the dub-only thing even happens. Rights issue? Their file is from some dodgy dvd they bought on eBay?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

distortion park posted:

I don't get how the dub-only thing even happens. Rights issue? Their file is from some dodgy dvd they bought on eBay?

They probably figure you speak French. I'm just glad to hear there are countries who care as little about subtitles as the US does!

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

quiz girl was great

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Inspector Hound posted:

They probably figure you speak French. I'm just glad to hear there are countries who care as little about subtitles as the US does!

I'm happy watching a french film in french, but dubs almost universally suck. My gf refuses to watch them out of principle

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Blue Eyed Samurai was added to Netflix recently and it goes hard. Definitely goes for a Tarantino vibe.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
it's funny, I go on like Max or Hulu or Netflix or whatever and I mostly just endlessly wade through crap and then just good things I've already seen. Spend like 5 minutes going through just like the "Leaving Soon" section of Tubi and I find two or three great looking films I've never even heard of.
Case in point:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Housekeeping_(film)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsession_(1976_film)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation
I did at least finally watch Trick r Treat and Sleepy Hollow on HBOMax, which was fun, but there's like no other movies on there that grab me at all (the good ones I've already seen, and I have the Criterion Channel thru a friend so there's nothing to offer)
I guess tbf it's more for its TV series. I don't actually pay for Netflix/Hulu/Max/Criterion, all those I get through friends and family, I only pay for Prime...I feel like I'd rather use Tubi and have ad breaks than really pay for any of Netflix/Prime/Hulu/Max unless there was some series on there I really cared about, but I'm mostly into streaming movies.
Also always even forget I get Disney+ from a friend. That's at least fun when it comes to going through old Simpsons episodes.

Sometimes I'll pay for Shudder or Arrow for a lil bit...I like Arrow better just cuz it has more varied cult stuff and a good horror catalogue, but I'm pretty sure most of the cool poo poo Arrow/Shudder gets is on Tubi a lot of the time anyway.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 6, 2023

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Blue Eyed Samurai was added to Netflix recently and it goes hard. Definitely goes for a Tarantino vibe.

Two episodes in and it seems cool so far.

There's also a lot more full frontal nudity in it than I expected.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Probation

Slashrat posted:

There's also a lot more full frontal nudity in it than I expected.
I assume that's an anime, so, yeah. I mean.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Am I the only one who prefers PlutoTV to Tubi? I never really compared the two content-wise, but Pluto’s interface is much nicer.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Thanks for the recommendation, just watched the first episode and that is extremely my poo poo. It leans heavily into a lot of the classic Samurai movie cliches, but does it with enough panache and sincerity that it's quite endearing.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Nov 6, 2023

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I liked it. Kinda fell apart in the last few episodes, IMO. And I'm a bit bummed it wasn't a one season show.

But it's real pretty, the story's mostly cool and the action is loving top-notch.

This year's had some amazing animated shows with Blue Eye Samurai, Pantheon and Scavenger's Reign.

peekaboo gangster
Sep 12, 2003

OldSenileGuy posted:

Am I the only one who prefers PlutoTV to Tubi? I never really compared the two content-wise, but Pluto’s interface is much nicer.

No, I'm 100% with you there; PlutoTV's channel guide was what got me to cancel our cable outright since it's almost 1:1 the same as the Verizon channel guide. Them adding more channels (bring back the 007 channel, drat it) all the time is just icing on the cake. If the Tubi App immediately launched into their streaming channels and had a similar guide, it'd definitely get the edge but right now I'm a PlutoTV convert.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Pluto's interface is definitely better but content wise Tubi has it beat by a country mile

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015
I'm out of touch with this aspect of modern internet culture, but you know you can watch any show for free with minimum hassle, right?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Had a double feature of Quiz Show/When Evil Lurks and both are fantastic

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I'm watching Fall, its better than I thought it would be. I hate heights and this is really doing it for me

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I can regretfully confirm that the new Frasier... is good

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
drat the first episode of Pluto was amazing

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

A MIRACLE posted:

I can regretfully confirm that the new Frasier... is good

no david hyde pierce? no thank you

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Ammanas posted:

no david hyde pierce? no thank you

I know. there's some funny new characters though

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

A MIRACLE posted:

I know. there's some funny new characters though

I really hated the nephew character/performance, does that improve at all? I barely made it through the first ep due to him.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Enos Cabell posted:

I really hated the nephew character/performance, does that improve at all? I barely made it through the first ep due to him.

Hes the worst character in the show but they seem to realize that and minimize him pretty quickly lol

Seconding that I'm shocked that the new Frasier is actually pretty good. Not Frasier in its prime good but still better than the Daphne/Niles married era

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
You want an elderly Fraiser to gently caress Niles?

Money plane.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

With season 2 out I finally got around to checking out Invincible, and now I'm kicking myself for not doing so sooner. Crazy stacked voice cast, and the story was compelling enough to make me binge the first season in 2 days, which I never do. Highly recommended.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Even tho it’s called Frazier, I still want an episode where Freddie and his cousin have to host a dinner party.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Whens he gonna fight Ali?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How would the new series land for someone who thinks the original Frasier loving sucks, but watched every episode at least 2 times for some reason?