Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The axe dudes I didn't have too much of a hard time with, they have a very obvious auditory SCHLING whenever their axe is about to hit you that's easy to listen for and dodge. It's those stupid raincoat fuckers with 11-hit morgott combos that I hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Al! posted:

send jesse to sr388

:hmmyes:

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Jessie getting pissed about having to peck at the typewriter so the keys don't stick together

I actually like Jessie way more than Saga or Alan, but I dislike Control because scp lol devalues all stakes on account of *weird* and *multiverse*

trying to make otherworldly horrors and inexplicable phenomena banal is cute but the end result is they're banal, which, yeah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

victrix posted:

I actually like Jessie way more than Saga or Alan, but I dislike Control because scp lol devalues all stakes on account of *weird* and *multiverse*

trying to make otherworldly horrors and inexplicable phenomena banal is cute but the end result is they're banal, which, yeah

I think that kind of misses a big part of Control, which is that attempts to make them banal fail miserably. They refuse to be made banal and though attempts are made you end up with the weird and strange and the unclassifiable (Ahti) being what has the real power and Jesse being important because she isn't tied up with all of the pointless bureaucracy.

The FBC has documentation of all this insane weird poo poo and most of it is five seconds away from exploding because you can't logic it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The central conceit of Control is that the banal and commonplace is just as weird and alienating as the extradimensional horror, and that's why it rules. When Jesse is monologuing about the worst day of her life over ominous music intercut with dutch angles of a 1970s slide projector, that's art.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The thing that makes Control and the FBC's interaction with weirdo poo poo good is that they're really bad at it. They have basically no idea what they're doing and keep getting themselves killed. It rules

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DaysBefore posted:

The thing that makes Control and the FBC's interaction with weirdo poo poo good is that they're really bad at it. They have basically no idea what they're doing and keep getting themselves killed. It rules

I like to read it as a postmodern millennial power fantasy where a 27-year old woman without any credentials arrives applying as a janitor and ends up showing the crusty old boomers in upper management how to use the technology they rely upon.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In their defense they got Act of God'ed by an external force when Alan dropped the Hiss invasion on them. Before that, they only *occasionally* lost people!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
even having jesse in charge only goes so far, as we see in aw2 you still have on location staff doing goofy poo poo like trying to make stories about a woman falling in love with a bear be willed into reality

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
personally im not bothered by it but i think the scp stuff doesnt really cheapen the premise. what would cheapen the premise for me is just reducing every thing down to oh it all only happened because alan wake, the main character of reality, wrote it, but there are enough twists and turns that it doesnt

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

even having jesse in charge only goes so far, as we see in aw2 you still have on location staff doing goofy poo poo like trying to make stories about a woman falling in love with a bear be willed into reality

They just liked Baldur's Gate 3.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I wanna know why Ahti is allowed a part time job at an old folks home while holding a full time job at a three letter agency

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

I wanna know why Ahti is allowed a part time job at an old folks home while holding a full time job at a three letter agency

he also works at a tv station. seems like a conflict of interest

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

He doesn't have a job at Valhalla, he's a resident. There's a memo telling him to stop stealing Blum's uniform.

Also he's on vacation.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ngl I'd be in that Watery sauna nonstop drinking cheap beer and going out every now and then to enjoy that decaying river musk and cool air. Real rusty comfort aesthetic

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The clearly American dude at the sauna in watery who won't just be quiet and enjoy the peace tickled me so much. I was live streaming the game jabbering about how I love it every like five minutes and the guy opposite him kind of put me in my place haha.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I keep thinking about the episode of In Between with Mr Door where the guests are Dylan from Control, Bill Nye the Science Guy, Sam Lake, and they are talking about parallel dimensions, and Casey's multiversal popularity

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost

site posted:

It looks like Nvidia made an oopsie with its newest driver and there's a memory leak or something when playing Alan wake 2. There's a hotfix driver out to fix it

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-releases-geforce-546-08-hotfix-driver-addressing-alan-wake-2-and-windows-10-bugs

I hope by “gradual” degradation they mean 5-10 minutes because that’s as long as I can play on my god drat rtx 4090 before it crashes. Thanks for the link.

fakeedit: not trying to sound arrogant by saying which card I have, just pissed that after skipping multiple generations I finally bit the bullet and got a new graphics card just for this game I can’t even play it. It basically had to learn to speed run the first section of the game just to get in to bright falls before crashing.

Real edit: seems like it worked so far

Huge Lady Pleaser fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 4, 2023

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Are you supposed to get to the room where sheriff breaker is hanging out in the hotel? I found the murder site but couldnt find the key.

Also what the heck was up with the next chapter? you wake up in the TV studio, you meet Ahti and the chapter immediately ends? Why is he talking about photos in the shoebox in the basement?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

WaltherFeng posted:

Are you supposed to get to the room where sheriff breaker is hanging out in the hotel? I found the murder site but couldnt find the key.

you have to crawl under the nearby staircase and beneath the catwalks, there’s a back entrance

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

site posted:

It looks like Nvidia made an oopsie with its newest driver and there's a memory leak or something when playing Alan wake 2. There's a hotfix driver out to fix it

https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-releases-geforce-546-08-hotfix-driver-addressing-alan-wake-2-and-windows-10-bugs

Oh wow. My GPU just died today, as in permanently after 6 years of really solid use. After my last ~5 hour session I was getting DEVICE REMOVED on Alan Wake 2 every time I played until the thing just gave up the ghost and wouldn't launch at all. Now I'm wondering if Alan Wake finished the poor thing off.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I disagree with SkillUp that having a weapon upgrade system is bad for this game

They aren't lame marginal Ubisoft style "you do 2% more damage upgrades", a lot of them are pretty meaningful, I like that the collectibles in this game often add a gameplay benefit

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the weapon upgrades are cool and lead to combos you can execute that make the game's combat way more interesting. Two headshots to stun on the pistol + follow up on stunned enemies with extra shotgun damange. Both perks work in tandem, giving you something to look forward to and a reason to search the corners of the game world and get immersed.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

finished quantum break last night, think it was somewhat valuable to know who door and breaker were. i'd say that if you're a remedy freak it's worth a playthrough on easy, it's one of the shorter of their games (because of the timeline and how every act ends in a 30 minute tv show). there are little things that are obviously seeds of ideas that would be developed later in control and aw2.

i'm going to try and finish aw2 this weekend but in the meantime i'm going to try to get my wife hooked on the original alan wake

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

WaltherFeng posted:

Also what the heck was up with the next chapter? you wake up in the TV studio, you meet Ahti and the chapter immediately ends? Why is he talking about photos in the shoebox in the basement?

You gotta go back to the basement where you found the shoebox and look inside again. You don’t have to do it now, you can actually do the entire next level just fine without it, but to finish the game you will have to go back to the shoebox.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I disagree with SkillUp that having a weapon upgrade system is bad for this game

They aren't lame marginal Ubisoft style "you do 2% more damage upgrades", a lot of them are pretty meaningful, I like that the collectibles in this game often add a gameplay benefit

The upgrades are worth it for the short lines of writing you get from Alan whenever you purchase them. A lot of them seem to be too situational to be all that useful but most guns have at least one upgrade that significantly improves it like the double headshot for the pistol or the increased crossbow damage.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Al! posted:

finished quantum break last night, think it was somewhat valuable to know who door and breaker were. i'd say that if you're a remedy freak it's worth a playthrough on easy, it's one of the shorter of their games (because of the timeline and how every act ends in a 30 minute tv show). there are little things that are obviously seeds of ideas that would be developed later in control and aw2.

i'm going to try and finish aw2 this weekend but in the meantime i'm going to try to get my wife hooked on the original alan wake

doing the lord's work

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I'll probably pick up Quantum Break over the thanksgiving sale (assuming it goes on sale). For some reason its the only Remedy game that i've skipped

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I hadn't realized Shawn Ashmore was Tim "Quantum" Breaker in this. That's cool, I was just thinking about him the other day and was a little sad he hadn't gotten picked up into Remedy's recurrent actor stable.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
this senior living home has a disturbing amount of ammunition laying around

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

And they're ok with me taking it all!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am so beyond stuck. I'm in the tunnels trying to do the summoning ritual but I do not seem to have the plot point. Looking at other peoples walkthroughs they switch the collapsed tunnel room to the one with all of the boxes and the book in the middle and are able to get the plot point, but I don't have it, there isn't any light blob to aim at. I have no joke been in these loving tunnels for hours just trying to get something to happen.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

veni veni veni posted:

I am so beyond stuck. I'm in the tunnels trying to do the summoning ritual but I do not seem to have the plot point. Looking at other peoples walkthroughs they switch the collapsed tunnel room to the one with all of the boxes and the book in the middle and are able to get the plot point, but I don't have it, there isn't any light blob to aim at. I have no joke been in these loving tunnels for hours just trying to get something to happen.

Have you gone back to the previous scenes and switched things around to all the available options? Got stuck like that once or twice, if you've tried all the different combinations it's probably a progression bug. Seen a lot of accounts of places where a light blob is supposed to show up to advance the story but it doesn't trigger.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The weird thing is that I am about 99% sure I got the light blob when I first entered the tunnels, before I started wandering all over confused. But I don't have what I need to progress. I am really hoping I just missed something because I'd basically have to restart the game thanks to this games amazing save system.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Which plot points do you have?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It was really stupid. I just could not see the ladder that leads to the second part of the subway for the life of me

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Pretty sure I'm closing in on the end at this point, is it necessary to go around and get all the nursery rhymes/lunch boxes/manuscript pages in Saga's areas to unlock some secret true ending or is it ok to ignore the remaining ones? I assume I can at least skip the cult stashes since they only contain randomized supplies.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Nothing changes if you get all the collectibles or not.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Pretty sure I'm closing in on the end at this point, is it necessary to go around and get all the nursery rhymes/lunch boxes/manuscript pages in Saga's areas to unlock some secret true ending or is it ok to ignore the remaining ones? I assume I can at least skip the cult stashes since they only contain randomized supplies.

There's a couple extra manuscript pages gated behind the cult stashes

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Al! posted:

Thanks, I just finished AW2 and had additional questions about this. It's on game pass so I guess that's next for me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Using Simon Says as your combination lock seems like a bad idea