Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, pretty much. I am not making GBS threads on it, it’s more like one of those shows that has enough they’re mixed with just right time and etc so it’s lightning in a bottle and blows up the Internet for a year or so and then has a giant fan base, like the vivzipop stuff, fnaf, loving mlp, etc. all had enough special sauce that blew up hype.

Sonic was a bit like that too. Brightly colored, easy to read expressions, basically no human characters...I think kids just devour that poo poo, and from anecdotal experience with family and friends, youtube is basically a babysitter so they've got plenty of hours long monotone lore videos to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

FireWorksWell posted:

Sonic was a bit like that too. Brightly colored, easy to read expressions, basically no human characters...I think kids just devour that poo poo, and from anecdotal experience with family and friends, youtube is basically a babysitter so they've got plenty of hours long monotone lore videos to enjoy.

i think the stuff has to be colorful, have a decent amount of good or clever humor and likable characters plus some sorta weird originality and i think thats what makes it blow up

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Nov 2, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

ha ha funny toof man

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I think we've all learned from things like Big Mouth that you don't have to actually be funny or witty, just have the cadence of "this is supposed to be funny" and a lot of people will just eat that up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think the stuff has to be colorful, have a decent amount of good or clever humor and likable characters plus some sorta weird originality and i think thats what makes it blow up

I think that what also helps is having non-human protagonists. It makes it easier for viewers to project themselves onto characters, and therefore get invested in. Also for a fandom standpoint it makes it easier for people to go crazy drawing fanart (since they can have more exaggerated features than a human) or making your OC (do not steal :v:) hang out with those characters

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I think we've all learned from things like Big Mouth that you don't have to actually be funny or witty, just have the cadence of "this is supposed to be funny" and a lot of people will just eat that up.

Big Mouth is pretty funny.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Open Source Idiom posted:

Cosigned

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
How dare no one remind me that scavengers reign released 3 more episodes.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Neeksy posted:

it's true: timing is important to comedy

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

JosefStalinator posted:

How dare no one remind me that scavengers reign released 3 more episodes.

The three episodes released at a time is a bit weird. I know I'm going to want to watch all three in a row, so I have to wait until I have time to watch all three. Each three episode chunk has been great to watch though, so maybe they're on to something.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
It drops the same day as new episodes of Loki so you can get your double dose of Wunmi Mosaku.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Not gonna lie, (Scavengers Reign ep 6) Levi getting murdered like that kind of hurt.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Jehde posted:

The three episodes released at a time is a bit weird. I know I'm going to want to watch all three in a row, so I have to wait until I have time to watch all three. Each three episode chunk has been great to watch though, so maybe they're on to something.

I watch them as soon as I can on Thursday morning and I hope they air the three final episodes next week because I'm ready for them. This might be my favourite show going right now! There was a suspicious lack of Kamen in the this week's episodes and I don't think it bodes well.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I watch them as soon as I can on Thursday morning and I hope they air the three final episodes next week because I'm ready for them. This might be my favourite show going right now! There was a suspicious lack of Kamen in the this week's episodes and I don't think it bodes well.

He was there you just couldn't see him hanging out inside of Hollow:geno:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

I'm doing my periodic autumn re-watch of Over the Garden wall and I'd advise everyone else to do the same.

I do the same thing! Everyone with the sort of tastes that led to them posting in this thread should give OTGW a watch--worst case, you're out two hours, but it's really a love letter to classic animation.

Ccs posted:

I also rewatched Over the Garden Wall recently. It's still great! There's an interview with the creator where he says "I’m not 100% in love with all of the writing in OtGW.... It sometimes got too jokey for my tastes" so it sounds like the amount of humor came partially from network notes, or that in retrospect he'd have preferred a slightly different tone. But part of the charm is also that it can veer so quickly between humor and horror.

It'd be way too heavy without the comedic elements, and they make the darker parts hit that much harder. I also choose to believe that they drowned in the pond. "The loveliest lies of all..."

Scavengers Reign 7-9: This is a hell of a re-interpretation of Parasites Lost.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FireWorksWell posted:

Hey now, Robotnik slash Eggman is always the best part of literally any Sonic media.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I mean, you could be describing Looney Tunes.

Having energy to it also helps, a lot of crappy cartoons that are quickly forgotten tend to be cheap and dull, while stuff that has energy and passion to it, even in an understated way, is almost always what blows up.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hey now, Robotnik slash Eggman is always the best part of literally any Sonic media.

I mean, you could be describing Looney Tunes.

Having energy to it also helps, a lot of crappy cartoons that are quickly forgotten tend to be cheap and dull, while stuff that has energy and passion to it, even in an understated way, is almost always what blows up.

yeah, i think you also have to have heart too.

is it. it always looked loving hidious from the art style stand point?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yes, it is. That's kind of the point, since (and I'm not sure whether this is known to be the intent or just a fan theory) the subject matter is adolescent sexuality, and you want to lean as far as possible away from making it look "appealing".

In any case it has its own stylistic charm, it grows on you

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I agree, Big Mouth is boring and looks terrible. Nick Kroll bought his way into comedy with his daddy's money, I don't think he's been funny even once.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I don't mind the art, it's pretty good at capturing the sort of gross, awkward vibe people have about their bodies during that age.

It's a funny show with good jokes and some great world building and character arc stuff, though sometimes it can get a bit didactic and Very Important Lesson-y. The sixth season was a step down, but the most recent season was good, but I'm glad they're ending it since they're beginning to run out of stuff to say and do with their cast.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I'm still fond of Butt Ugly Martians despite it being a go-to example of lovely lazy 90s cgi cartoons. Maybe because its core premise is about bullshitting your rear end in a top hat boss and slacking off work to hang out.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm still fond of Butt Ugly Martians despite it being a go-to example of lovely lazy 90s cgi cartoons. Maybe because its core premise is about bullshitting your rear end in a top hat boss and slacking off work to hang out.

yeah i never watched that show but i vaguely remember the premise being that.

I don't mind the art, it's pretty good at capturing the sort of gross, awkward vibe people have about their bodies during that age.

It's a funny show with good jokes and some great world building and character arc stuff, though sometimes it can get a bit didactic and Very Important Lesson-y. The sixth season was a step down, but the most recent season was good, but I'm glad they're ending it since they're beginning to run out of stuff to say and do with their cast.

Data Graham posted:

Yes, it is. That's kind of the point, since (and I'm not sure whether this is known to be the intent or just a fan theory) the subject matter is adolescent sexuality, and you want to lean as far as possible away from making it look "appealing".

Strange Cares posted:

I agree, Big Mouth is boring and looks terrible. Nick Kroll bought his way into comedy with his daddy's money, I don't think he's been funny even once.

ehh. maybe someday. to me its just not for me.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Strange Cares posted:

I'll argue he was perfect as Stu in Life and Times of Tim.

That show had a lot of improv so it wasn't entirely the writers giving him good lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEzNaC3IV-8

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well poo poo, episode 7 of Scavengers Reign was so good. It plays around so much with the uncertainty of the new characters presented, the trio of rescuers go from possible saviors to using suspicious tactics, and for a second we the audience we didn't know if they were full hostile thieves, or what. And we don't know if the old woman curing Sam was doing another part of the treatment when planting the 'seed', although it was so suspicious that I want 'ohh ohhh'. The last part was foreboding, tense and the reveal superbly directed. Clearly this planet wants Sam dead, the writer is playing with our hearts, first it seems he is going to die, then he is healed, now it seems he was healed to be controlled by another thing. But seriously, that last part with the reveal was one of the best directed parts that I have seen all this year:

The careful worldbuilding is neat, it is being done without being overbearing (it's clear this is a scifi dystopia universe, in between the ship and crew being written off, and the shifty attitude of the new trio and their plans and comments).

I only wish the new trio would have shown to carry some breathers and some pistols to make it more believable, instead of going their merry way to an unknown planet full of alien life.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I heard somewhere the hideousness was to discourage sexualizing the underage cast. Think they in fact succeeded beyond measure there.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
But did they have to make them look like 8 year olds?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I just got done watching Blue Eye Samurai on netflix.

It's a show nobody is going to watch because it's asian-centric anime and it has a weird name. But the 100 on Rotten Tomatoes they earned. I don't know any of the names of the writers or directors but they woke up and chose violence.

They earned every point of that 100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ1yQn17lbE

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 4, 2023

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's a show nobody is going to watch because it's asian-centric anime
huh?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I don't know any of the names of the writers or directors but they woke up and chose violence.

The lead writer's Michael Green, who was also in charge of the first season of American Gods (with Bryan Fuller) and Kings (by himself). He makes good stuff.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

To clarify, I think lots of normal folks could watch and really enjoy this, but probably wouldn't give it a shot because it's an animated show with japan as a setting with a weird name.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The lead writer's Michael Green, who was also in charge of the first season of American Gods (with Bryan Fuller) and Kings (by himself). He makes good stuff.

Kings was a loving fantastic show that didn't deserve the punishment of being on NBC during the Jeff Zucker "let's plow this bitch down to 5th place in a 3-man race!" era. It's just one of those shows that I'm never gonna get over the disparity between how good it was and how badly it bombed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think there's a lot of people who'd be interested because there's a lot of weebs out there. The setup makes me think more of 80s weeb stuff that was all about legions of ninjas getting slaughtered with a lot of blood, but my main experience with that was through the lens of the parody comic of The Tick and the Night of a Million-Zillion Ninjas.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think there's a lot of people who'd be interested because there's a lot of weebs out there. The setup makes me think more of 80s weeb stuff that was all about legions of ninjas getting slaughtered with a lot of blood, but my main experience with that was through the lens of the parody comic of The Tick and the Night of a Million-Zillion Ninjas.

Yeah, from the trailers it looks like a three way cross between Ninja Scroll, Shogun, and Afro Samurai.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It's a show nobody is going to watch because it's asian-centric anime and it has a weird name. But the 100 on Rotten Tomatoes they earned. I don't know any of the names of the writers or directors but they woke up and chose violence.

This and Omnimusha so close together!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1wsUxg68Ek

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I just finished episode 7 of Scavengers Reignand wow, this has come entirely out of nowhere to blow me away

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Thank you for this, almost through with episode 1 and I'm hooked Kill Bill soundtrack training montage, I'm about it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, anybody check that show out yet?

Fishy Flip
Jan 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

apatheticman posted:

This and Omnimusha so close together!?

Just finished up Onimusha, it was really good! Never played any of the Onimusha games, and I barely remembered they existed. I can tell you you don't need to be familiar with them at all the enjoy this. I think it has really great animation, although I'm sure some people in the anime forum would scoff at the CGI look to it. I think it looks cool, because it gives it a unique style. It never feels cheap, like they were trying to cut back on their animation budget or something. It's only 8 episodes, it's got good pacing, great fight scenes, and wraps itself up nicely at the end. I say give it a watch.

And I've not heard of Blue Eye Samurai but after Onimusha I'm SO ready for some more badass samurai action. Gonna watch this right now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fishy Flip posted:

Just finished up Onimusha, it was really good! Never played any of the Onimusha games, and I barely remembered they existed. I can tell you you don't need to be familiar with them at all the enjoy this. I think it has really great animation, although I'm sure some people in the anime forum would scoff at the CGI look to it. I think it looks cool, because it gives it a unique style. It never feels cheap, like they were trying to cut back on their animation budget or something. It's only 8 episodes, it's got good pacing, great fight scenes, and wraps itself up nicely at the end. I say give it a watch.

And I've not heard of Blue Eye Samurai but after Onimusha I'm SO ready for some more badass samurai action. Gonna watch this right now.

My understanding is that it features a character from one of the games but isn’t a direct adaptation of any of them (also Takashi Miike apparently directed it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, anybody check that show out yet?

Yeah i watched it, it gets quite silly by the last few episodes but it was a fun ride. My favorite part involves the monk character and a giant bell

Over all I give it a 6/10 with Castlevania and Pantheon being examples of 10s