Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

ded posted:

those things take a looong time to heal

18 months for me, and that was when I was 21 years old, in super good shape and did my rehab religiously. Zuck has a hard road ahead, I wouldn’t wish a torn ACL on anyone.

Except for Elon Musk, in which case I hope he tears them both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Yeah you can pretty much go to a tournament any weekend anywhere you are in the US. Getting medals in BJJ competition is easy as poo poo unless you're competing at a really high level.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

facialimpediment posted:

He only does BJJ rounds, not true fights, but if you want more information about that:

https://twitter.com/PabloTorre/status/1702017999987720640

It's a big thing in Silicon Valley and lots of rando competitions all over.

gently caress that is such good understated poo poo talking.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah you can pretty much go to a tournament any weekend anywhere you are in the US. Getting medals in BJJ competition is easy as poo poo unless you're competing at a really high level.

Eh depends more on weight, age, rank, and local.

Yea, if you're an ultraheavy weight[220+], masters 2[35ish], white belt, in the middle of who knows indiana, yea you're gonna get a medal because chances are only two people may show up.

If you're a middleweight [~181], Adult, Blue Belt in Atlanta, good luck, because you're gonna have to win like three matches to even have a shot at a medal let alone gold.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

speaking of nerds, check out what happened with another nerd's fascination with MMA

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1720599339725140293

Does this mean Elon will finally agree to the fight?!?!?

(Wife gets credit/blame for the joke)

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

pantslesswithwolves posted:

18 months for me, and that was when I was 21 years old, in super good shape and did my rehab religiously. Zuck has a hard road ahead, I wouldn’t wish a torn ACL on anyone.

Except for Elon Musk, in which case I hope he tears them both.

There's a BUNCH of gray area experimental poo poo that can cut that down to under a year, especially with the kinds of 24 hour on call physical therapy team he's gonna have to aggressively rehab it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

There's a BUNCH of gray area experimental poo poo that can cut that down to under a year, especially with the kinds of 24 hour on call physical therapy team he's gonna have to aggressively rehab it.

Great more fodder for the adrenochrome loons.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

facialimpediment posted:

speaking of nerds, check out what happened with another nerd's fascination with MMA

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1720599339725140293

ASAPI posted:

He'll schedule the fight for Sunday night.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ASAPI posted:

Oh there is no doubt he starts running his mouth now. If he doesn't ill eat my hat

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Arrath posted:

Great more fodder for the adrenochrome loons.

Eh, not really. BPC-157 (a peptide derived from a naturally occurring gut protein) does some loving amazing poo poo, surgical incision from a pec reattachment completely closed in a week had to rip the stitches free after cutting them kind of poo poo. Wife had a pretty serious facial trauma, between the phenomenal on call face team surgeon and immediate BPC use there's no lasting nerve damage and a faint mobile scar left.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
there is "can afford whatever insurance doesnt cover", then there is "don't really need insurance" and then there is "this experimental treatment is a rounding error to you" level of wealth

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea, if you're an ultraheavy weight[220+], masters 2[35ish], white belt, in the middle of who knows indiana, yea you're gonna get a medal because chances are only two people may show up.

If you're a middleweight [~181], Adult, Blue Belt in Atlanta, good luck, because you're gonna have to win like three matches to even have a shot at a medal let alone gold.

Well yeah if you're a regular person.

If you're immorally wealthy and able to train full time I'm sure you can pick off plenty of low level events.

I wouldn't know because I fell firmly in your last category but I always managed to medal.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Itchy_Grundle posted:

A bit off topic, but one of the things I like the most about GIP is book recommendations (not the weird "let's read" ones). Thanks for pointing me to this.

No worries, I love the forums for the very same reason! If you're into that subject, The Last Place On Earth by Roland Huntford is one of the best reads about that era of Antarctic exploration. It takes a very in depth look at the race between Scott and Amundsen but in a way that is immensely readable.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

I mean, I don't think you have to be a billionaire to get accelerated treatment. You could even just quarterback for the Jets

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mappo posted:

I don't know, I'm just quoting from the news article.

The entire argument is based on the claim that "Ishtar? That's gay."

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Soul Dentist posted:

I mean, I don't think you have to be a billionaire to get accelerated treatment. You could even just quarterback for the Jets

That was my point, if this poo poo is accessible to a random schmuck like me then God knows what the true spare-no-expense ceiling really is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Defenestrategy posted:

220 is ultraheavy weight....

gently caress

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Crab Dad posted:

gently caress

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Crab Dad posted:

gently caress

well, super heavy cuts off at 220, ultra is everyone above that, absolute is everyone who wants to show up.

In grappling imo in terms of prestige, Black Belt Adult Absolute, Black Belt Masters[30 year olds and above] Absolute, then the various adult ranks at absolute, then the various masters ranks at absolute. Similar with no-gi where I'm more impressed if your bracket reads "Anyone who is hard enough have a go" rather than "anyone who is about my age, as big, and doing it about as long".

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Defenestrategy posted:

well, super heavy cuts off at 220, ultra is everyone above that,

You really know how to hurt a dude.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Defenestrategy posted:

well, super heavy cuts off at 220, ultra is everyone above that, absolute is everyone who wants to show up.

In grappling imo in terms of prestige, Black Belt Adult Absolute, Black Belt Masters[30 year olds and above] Absolute, then the various adult ranks at absolute, then the various masters ranks at absolute. Similar with no-gi where I'm more impressed if your bracket reads "Anyone who is hard enough have a go" rather than "anyone who is about my age, as big, and doing it about as long".

actually in grappling prestige the top is winning the abu dhabi combat club open championship and being such a warrior that you fight with dengue fever, in addition to being incredibly handsome, buff and a great surfer

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

That was my point, if this poo poo is accessible to a random schmuck like me then God knows what the true spare-no-expense ceiling really is.

even with the best he is looking at a 1 year + rehab

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

maffew buildings posted:

actually in grappling prestige the top is winning the abu dhabi combat club open championship and being such a warrior that you fight with dengue fever, in addition to being incredibly handsome, buff and a great surfer

Uhh when did this become the retell Steven Segal whoppers thread?

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

in retrospect i may have made a joke for an audience of like three or four here

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Is that an American Ninja reference?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Crab Dad posted:

You really know how to hurt a dude.

unit, masters, absolute

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

there is "can afford whatever insurance doesnt cover", then there is "don't really need insurance" and then there is "this experimental treatment is a rounding error to you" level of wealth

My dude the hospital is literally named after him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nystral posted:

Uhh when did this become the retell Steven Segal whoppers thread?

Smdh that you don’t immediately envision a shirtless Ricardo Arona.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
dont dox me please

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Project M.A.M.I.L. posted:

No worries, I love the forums for the very same reason! If you're into that subject, The Last Place On Earth by Roland Huntford is one of the best reads about that era of Antarctic exploration. It takes a very in depth look at the race between Scott and Amundsen but in a way that is immensely readable.

I also recommend Endurance: Shackletons Incredible Voyage about the failed Shackleton expendition. Ship sinks and they have to survive Antarctica and save themselves. Was a pretty good read.

It also holds a special place to me because I read it to my then 1 year old at night for a bedtime story right after I got home from a deployment.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Good investigative piece from NYT about cumulative effects of firing 10,000 or more artillery rounds on several units sent to Syria to combat ISIS and how most of them got completely hosed by the system because they had huge issues afterwards but had zero medical or service record that their issues could be formally connected to so they were instead viewed as lazy or troubled or unreliable. tldr is that cumulative exposure to blasts really fucks people up and unsurprisingly in retrospect exposure to many, many thousands does a horrifying amount of damage.

warning that it discusses multiple suicides and some genuinely horrific mental health struggles

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/us/us-army-marines-artillery-isis-pentagon.html

It's also kind of interesting just as a window into another part of the war against ISIS which was generally incredibly opaque in how it was conducted. In particular the latter part of it that was focused on mopping up ISIS and especially the efforts wrt removing ISIS from Raqqa was rapidly memory holed because it's basically in no one's interest to go around remembering that or digging into the details of precisely how it was accomplished.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 6, 2023

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Herstory Begins Now posted:

good article from NYT about cumulative effects of firing 10,000 or more artillery rounds on several units sent to Syria to combat ISIS and how most of them got completely hosed by the system because they had huge issues afterwards but had zero medical or service record that their issues could be formally connected to so they were instead viewed as lazy or troubled or unreliable. tldr is that cumulative explosure to blasts really fucks people up and exposure to many, many thousands does a horrifying amount of damage.

warning that it discusses suicide and some pretty horrific mental health struggles

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/us/us-army-marines-artillery-isis-pentagon.html

also kind of interesting just as a window into the war against ISIS which was generally extremely opaque in how it was conducted and in particular the latter part of it that was focused on mopping up ISIS and especially the efforts wrt Raqqa was rapidly memory holed because it's basically in no one's interest to go around remembering that or digging into the details of it.

Considering how most of the guys from my old battery from the invasion of Iraq are some kind of nuts, that scans.

BaconAndBullets
Feb 25, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Good investigative piece from NYT about cumulative effects of firing 10,000 or more artillery rounds on several units sent to Syria to combat ISIS and how most of them got completely hosed by the system because they had huge issues afterwards but had zero medical or service record that their issues could be formally connected to so they were instead viewed as lazy or troubled or unreliable. tldr is that cumulative exposure to blasts really fucks people up and unsurprisingly in retrospect exposure to many, many thousands does a horrifying amount of damage.

warning that it discusses multiple suicides and some genuinely horrific mental health struggles

It's also kind of interesting just as a window into another part of the war against ISIS which was generally incredibly opaque in how it was conducted. In particular the latter part of it that was focused on mopping up ISIS and especially the efforts wrt removing ISIS from Raqqa was rapidly memory holed because it's basically in no one's interest to go around remembering that or digging into the details of precisely how it was accomplished.

Paywalled

When I hit Syria in fall of 2017, one of my Marine counterparts supporting the arty unit said that an entire battalion had shot themselves stupid doing charge 5 shots over multiple nights.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

BaconAndBullets posted:

Paywalled

When I hit Syria in fall of 2017, one of my Marine counterparts supporting the arty unit said that an entire battalion had shot themselves stupid doing charge 5 shots over multiple nights.

Non paywall link: https://www.nytimes.com/2023/11/05/...&smid=url-share

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Still paywalled.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Madurai posted:

Still paywalled.

https://archive.ph/6XqpR

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Apparently there was a party for Bored Ape (remember them?) NFT (and them?) holders in Hong Kong last night where the blacklights were actually UV-C lights and now a dozen or more in attendance might go blind.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bored-ape-eye-vision-problems-apefest-hong-kong-lighting

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wombot posted:

Apparently there was a party for Bored Ape (remember them?) NFT (and them?) holders in Hong Kong last night where the blacklights were actually UV-C lights and now a dozen or more in attendance might go blind.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bored-ape-eye-vision-problems-apefest-hong-kong-lighting

Good reminder that Bored Ape Society is a big neonazi in-joke.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Well poo poo, that's waay too relatable, as someone who has fired more than 1,000 rounds in a week out of a USMC howitzer.