Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The real problem with unskippable cutscenes isnt watching them the first time. It's all the subsequent times if you gently caress up or replay or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Since then we've had games like Mass Effect that prove it can be done properly
lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

since then, we've had the titanic as an example of nautical safety

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Devil Survivor 2 did character death pretty well.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

A Sometimes Food posted:

The real problem with unskippable cutscenes isnt watching them the first time. It's all the subsequent times if you gently caress up or replay or whatever.

Nooo!

Clayton?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
Covenant of the Plume was a good time, I thought. The choice to sacrifice people in exchange for OP abilities basically becomes an in-game difficulty slider, and a good twist on the "permadeath" concept that Fire Emblem had popularized, and a more immediately rewarding instance of VP1's sending warriors to Valhalla.

Has anyone ever gotten ending A in VP1 without a guide? Or is it one of those 2000's-era obscure-to-be-obscure deals? (Like in SH2, who TF would just stop every so often to re-read the letter and look at the photo? Only people using a guide to get an ending, that's who.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Saxophone posted:

I’ve already been tempted to turn off voice acting. I don’t remember it in the original and some of the lines don’t feel great.

I muted them myself. I don't need them to have a good time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would actually go to bat for CotP's death mechanic just being better than Mass Effect's because it involves actual gameplay pressures.

In ME2 you will (trivially) be able to get everyone on your side and you just have to make the right choices. You will only lose someone if you intentionally gently caress up or decide for some reason to make the people lovely at biotics try to do the biotic thing.

CotP's thing is entirely gameplay pressure. The levels are designed in such a way that the average player is going to find them punishingly hard but in doing so it encourages you to actually take advantage of the mechanic which has tangible rewards but makes you feel like poo poo. At the same time the fact that mechanic is there means they can design the stages harder because there is a 'win button' the game allows you to press. You're not slotting a square peg into a square hole, you're giving into pressure and using your evil button, or you're sticking through it no matter how hard and getting the best ending on your first try. No matter what when you replay the game you then can see entirely different plotlines and characters by making different choices.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I love CotP's sacrifice mechanic. More games should just steal it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Tribute summoning in Yu-Gi-Oh has more thought to it than mass effect

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tired Moritz posted:

I love CotP's sacrifice mechanic. More games should just steal it.

CyberConnect2 is trying their best.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fuga could probably be solved by having a harsher punishment for death so that a choice between death and sacrificing a kid is actually meaningful instead of it just making more sense to let your tank explode and reload from save.

Fuga 2's inclusion of a "if you're getting your rear end kicked I am going to kill a kid" was a good attempt but there just needs to be more pressure put on the player.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The risky Suicide Mission mod for ME2 is really great if you already know the best possible decisions and want to be surprised.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I also liked how in CotP most of the scenarios were about the same conflict, but depending on your path you’d join on a different side and the bosses from one route would be your recruits on the other.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FireWorksWell posted:

Nooo!

Clayton?

not clayton

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kirbysuperstar posted:

Tribute summoning in Yu-Gi-Oh has more thought to it than mass effect

The average Floowander hand has more ups and downs emotionally than any bioware gamr

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I will never stop sending Thane into the vents

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
From the vents he came, and to the vents he shall return. Thus it is written.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The difficulty with SO2R is choosing which way to break the game. You can outright create skill books and get the first 7 levels of a skill free.

Does this mean you don't have to reset for Dexterity anymore if you want it?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You get all the skills unlocked in Krosse, and SP is awarded with every fight. You can easily get the talent before pickpocketing the fortuneteller.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I like how the SO2 remake adds Fishing and its very easy to break the game with it.

Zandor's Mansion in Harley has a pot you fish in for Ogre Fish. They sell for 1680 Fol each. Its much easier to get the gloves for pickpocketing this way. Reel has Goodie Boxes you can exchange fish for and those have a decent chance of dropping very powerful weapons.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

MechaX posted:

I will never stop sending Thane into the vents

He’s the vent guy!

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Mill Village posted:

I like how the SO2 remake adds Fishing and its very easy to break the game with it.

Zandor's Mansion in Harley has a pot you fish in for Ogre Fish. They sell for 1680 Fol each. Its much easier to get the gloves for pickpocketing this way. Reel has Goodie Boxes you can exchange fish for and those have a decent chance of dropping very powerful weapons.

I was trying to go as blind as i can but I can never resist spoilers about fishing content. This seems nice and easy, thanks

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
It's not an RPG if it doesn't have fishing.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Combining meat and fruit with Master Chef produces a food that'll stop pickpocketing from decreasing friendship:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bribing my friends with Jello to look the other way while I commit crime

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I mean,

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Overbite posted:

It's not an RPG if it doesn't have fishing.

Reel Playing Game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nasty crime jello (positive)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The average Floowander hand has more ups and downs emotionally than any bioware gamr

That's just floo players seeing the latest MD banlist not actual gameplay

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Feels Villeneuve posted:

That's just floo players seeing the latest MD banlist not actual gameplay

Morganite is in this new pack I can't be hurt anymore.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

only in the rpgs am i strong......

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Meowywitch posted:

only in the rpgs am i strong......

You can be strong as gently caress, if you believe in the heart of the cards.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I love breaking RPGs as much as anyone but this SO2 is a bit ridiculous. At least so far it's essentially the same as adding gameshark functionality built into the game. Does any of the OP stuff you can do early on like this last the whole game or will the difficulty catch up eventually?

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
ashton or opera

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hubris.height posted:

ashton or opera

Opera, always.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Ashton has two dragons, Opera has no dragon.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm genuinely torn over here, like "do I see how all my favorite dudes have updated in the two decades since I've played this, or do I pick all the guys I never used before"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I like that the Star Ocean remake has all 3 character portrait styles available so I can reconfirm with myself while the PSP era clean look is probably a net positive for artists in many regards I want sharp angles and finely detailed greebles on my anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I thought the current portraits were the best out of the 3 choices easily but I never played the originals so I'd probably feel differently.

I'm level 33 and I haven't explored the island after Harley at all yet, this game's got its hooks in deep. I'm playing Rena and I'm trying to avoid any big spoilers, but is there anything I should keep in mind regarding her exclusive recruit?