Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Think about it folks.

E: no offence to Dan but I cannot let an uncolored Saul Goodman stand

By popular demand has a new favorite as of 16:30 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavoyTruffle
Jan 20, 2005

~~grief is good~~

Tree Bucket posted:

Full-colour Vigil! Is this a halloween special or a new art direction?
Missed this. I can't keep up a good pace if I colour all of them but I will try and use this style more often. It was fun

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

By popular demand posted:

Think about it folks.

E: no offence to Dan but I cannot let an uncolored Saul Goodman stand

:laffo: Thank for your service

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

六朝怪谈 (Spitting on Ghosts)

RAINBOW ADULTERY

Huh. Considering Pigsy and Tripitaka also get pregnant in a similar fashion, I wonder how often pregnancy-inducing waters are in Chinese legends.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Video Game Cheats n' Beatums

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lavender Jack

For all of the very Jeeves/Wooster dynamic that Mimley and Ducky have going on, I appreciate the evolution that's demonstrated when Mimley actually calls her out on her dodge. Wooster is a docile pet to Jeeves because he's literally too stupid to dress himself; Mimley can actually keep up with Ducky intellectually but still lets himself be a docile pet because he just trusts her so implicitly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wooster is jeeves' bratty sub, actually

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Sir Mimly is what Wooster might have grown into if he cared about science and fisticuffs (and maturity, somewhat) , what they both have in common is a big heart.
I get the impression Mimly was almost 1:1 the layabout party lad wooster is when he was at university, but he obviously continued to advance his education and lived through some stuff.

Ducky is a younger Jeeves who still has some adventurous spirit (Jeeves apparently came back from the war with no such desires)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Kennel posted:

Spacetrawler

is there any point to this beyond the author jacking off to torturing women

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

hexwren posted:

Hey now! Sometimes he tortures other people too.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

He tortured all the readers from the start with the sheer amount of text.
Hey buddy the reason comics were developed was because you can convey stuff with the pictures too!

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Lame Selfie Bee

Dragon Bros

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

wooster is jeeves' bratty sub, actually

No, that's
Uh
Hmm

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

hexwren posted:

Yes. Namely, you know Martina dies

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
in the sequel it's a male character that goes through a poo poo ton of torture

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Lavander Jack continues to be excellent.

SimonChris posted:

Speaking of The Hobbit, there is a comic adaptation from 1989, which seems custom-made for those people who complained that the LotR comics skipped too much of the dialogue and prose. Here are a few sample pages:

Sadly, it was published in English, so that makes it off-limits for this thread, I think. It's long out of print though, so maybe?

I dearly loved this adaptation when I was a kid.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 26: White Castle Blues

Obviously when you capture a castle the team colour changes, I don't see how this is a big issue.

Japan Tengu Party Illustrated chapter 20: Of Shinobu

Shinobu makes a decision.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

By popular demand posted:

He tortured all the readers from the start with the sheer amount of text.
Hey buddy the reason comics were developed was because you can convey stuff with the pictures too!

I hate this kind of thinking. There’s no “right” amount of text in a comic, anymore than there’s a “right” amount of ink. It’s a style, you may not like it, but comparing it to torture is going too far.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Domus posted:

I hate this kind of thinking. There’s no “right” amount of text in a comic, anymore than there’s a “right” amount of ink. It’s a style, you may not like it, but comparing it to torture is going too far.

No shade, I actually like this comic a lot.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

KennyMan666 posted:

Lame Selfie Bee
Dragon Bros

hey hi just a quick thx lol for posting the bee and the brogons at the same time so i get hte sour w the sweet cause either alone is not very good. i like it this way tho. just som en berg & dal-bana som man säjar, just, just.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Carthag Tuek posted:

hey hi just a quick thx lol for posting the bee and the brogons at the same time so i get hte sour w the sweet cause either alone is not very good. i like it this way tho. just som en berg & dal-bana som man säjar, just, just.

This is why you dont drink and post.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

School of World

We Are Here Forever

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Carthag Tuek posted:

just som en berg & dal-bana som man säjar, just, just.

QFT

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Carthag Tuek posted:

Been sayin' this

SavoyTruffle posted:

Missed this. I can't keep up a good pace if I colour all of them but I will try and use this style more often. It was fun

Yeh colour is slow. The Lavender Jack guy is a great artist, but he's also very clever in choosing an art style & general vibe that allows a lot of the pictures to be, you know, half a face in monochrome and 3/4 of the panel just black.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

Been sayin' this

Yeh colour is slow. The Lavender Jack guy is a great artist, but he's also very clever in choosing an art style & general vibe that allows a lot of the pictures to be, you know, half a face in monochrome and 3/4 of the panel just black.

He's even more clever in hiring someone else to do the coloring for him! I post the credits block for a reason :colbert:

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Noir89 posted:

This is why you dont drink and post.

I almost wish my drunk posts were that unmistakable for sober posts.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

the holy poopacy posted:

He's even more clever in hiring someone else to do the coloring for him! I post the credits block for a reason :colbert:

Ah! Good point.
I should get a colourist. And a shader. And a line guy and a writer.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Tree Bucket posted:

Ah! Good point.
I should get a colourist. And a shader. And a line guy and a writer.

With this you, too, can be a content creator!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Guys, I've gotta be honest. I was pretty down on the thread once we lost Thorsby and the beans and caught up with k6bd, but it's really been picking up for me lately. Haraiso Days, while not yet reaching the highs of Uramachi Sakaba just yet for me, has been consistently excellent (and I realised in looking up the correct spellings that the author has more work we haven't seen yet). The baseball arc of PowerUp is one of my favourites. Cooking Papa is really great, and another one of those comics that is really making me realise I just love chill slice of life stuff. On top of that, more translations of the food goblin!

While I'm finding the sprite comics basically unreadable with my old person eyes, they've reminded me of a comic I used to read in the day, and I'm feeling inspired to post it. I've only re-read the first 50 or so, but I think there will probably be some questionable stuff that probably was ok in the 2000s, we will see. I was only able to locate it on the way back machine, and it seems to be missing the author's commentary, so I'll present what we've got. It starts off a bit rough, and alternates between gag of the day stuff and some longer arcs.

Here's a little punk comic by Mitch Clem called Nothing Nice To Say!

2002.02.25 - Evolution of a 90’s Punk.jpg

2002.02.27 - Cometbus #48

2002.03.01 - Voodo Glow Skulls

2002.03.04 - The Queers

2002.03.06 - Tire Sale

2002.03.08 - Danny Says

2002.03.13 - xLIFExOFxAxSTRAIGHTxEDGERx

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Speaking of content, here is the FINALE of Department of Misc., officially making it one of the 0.1% of projects that I ever get finished!

Filment gets a cool final moment because the friend whose job inspired all this said they identified most with that particular character. Also, as you can probably tell, this thing's wide open for a sequel (that probably won't ever get drawn, but it's plotted out to an extent.)
It's been a lot of fun drawing this, and I think I've learnt a lot. (Did you know that a character's head can face a different direction from their body!!?) I hope you readers enjoyed it too!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Loved Department of Misc. I'm glad you kept going with it. I am undeniably a Goode at heart if I'm any of them.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I'd agree with you but I'm probably closer to Fat Kenneth.

What's the frequency?

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

Hell yeah great job finishing a project TreeBucket, bet it feels great I wouldn't know but maybe someday!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

field balm posted:

Guys, I've gotta be honest. I was pretty down on the thread once we lost Thorsby and the beans and caught up with k6bd, but it's really been picking up for me lately. Haraiso Days, while not yet reaching the highs of Uramachi Sakaba just yet for me, has been consistently excellent (and I realised in looking up the correct spellings that the author has more work we haven't seen yet). The baseball arc of PowerUp is one of my favourites. Cooking Papa is really great, and another one of those comics that is really making me realise I just love chill slice of life stuff. On top of that, more translations of the food goblin!

While I'm finding the sprite comics basically unreadable with my old person eyes, they've reminded me of a comic I used to read in the day, and I'm feeling inspired to post it. I've only re-read the first 50 or so, but I think there will probably be some questionable stuff that probably was ok in the 2000s, we will see. I was only able to locate it on the way back machine, and it seems to be missing the author's commentary, so I'll present what we've got. It starts off a bit rough, and alternates between gag of the day stuff and some longer arcs.

2002.02.25 - Evolution of a 90’s Punk.jpg

2002.02.27 - Cometbus #48

2002.03.01 - Voodo Glow Skulls

2002.03.04 - The Queers

2002.03.06 - Tire Sale

2002.03.08 - Danny Says

2002.03.13 - xLIFExOFxAxSTRAIGHTxEDGERx

i really like Mitch's stuff, and there's a bunch of good jokes in this strip, along with a bunch that require you to care exactly what bands were on lookout records circa 2004. he improves a lot as he cartoons more

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Tree Bucket posted:

Speaking of content, here is the FINALE of Department of Misc., officially making it one of the 0.1% of projects that I ever get finished!

Filment gets a cool final moment because the friend whose job inspired all this said they identified most with that particular character. Also, as you can probably tell, this thing's wide open for a sequel (that probably won't ever get drawn, but it's plotted out to an extent.)
It's been a lot of fun drawing this, and I think I've learnt a lot. (Did you know that a character's head can face a different direction from their body!!?) I hope you readers enjoyed it too!

BUT NO I WANTED MORE

this is great aaaaaaa

you put a canberra bus stop in there you son of a bitch you did it

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Fantomius - The Loot of the Barkservilles (transl. by better-quack-faster)

The scanlator is not a native English speaker, so there are some grammatical errors and awkward sentences. It beats having them insert cheeky pop culture references.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Hey, that was pretty sneaky - I thought the ducks pinched the tickets and the wallets because, you know, thieves, but it was actually a ploy to start a conversation and gain the marks' trust. Also pulling the brake accidentally on purpose makes Quackett look like a doofus - always easier to take advantage of someone if they think they're smarter than you.

field balm posted:

Hey, I used to read this back in high school. Looking forward to seeing how it holds up!

Tree Bucket posted:

Thanks for posting Dept of Misc., Tree Bucket!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

field balm posted:

Holy poo poo what a blast from the past. Looking forward to reading through this again, thanks for thinking of it!