Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Doesn't it just mean that you're using standardised parts. Besides, a modern bayonet is useful for more things than just rushing the enemy lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Long barrel makes up for short blade

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Arrath posted:

Long barrel makes up for short blade

The scope is so you can make surgical strikes at enemy.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Sometimes you need to stab people who are far away.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Chamale posted:

Sometimes you need to stab people who are far away.

But now it's inconvenient to hold. Needs a foregrip.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

And a can.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

On a halberd, would the scope be by the butt or the head.

Saul Kain
Dec 5, 2018

Lately it occurs to me,

what a long, strange trip it's been.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Depends on if it is a scout halberd or a designated marksman halberd.

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
The scope should be on the head but perpendicular to the shaft so you can better aim the axe blade.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It's also possible to hit people with the butt so you need BUIS on that.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Pole arms definitely need a bayonet lug halfway the pole in case the enemy slips through.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Xiahou Dun posted:

A gun and a blade on a halberd:

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That's very clearly a couteau de breche.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I dunno, he looks kinda brioche coloured to me

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Randomcheese3 posted:

The British had developed electrical systems for this, which they had sold to the Japanese, but they hadn't been fitted to every Japanese ship. Instead, they might have to rely on passing it by voice; better than nothing, but slow and prone to mistakes. The Russians had a centralised director system, which they had been developing since 1872 - but lacked effective rangefinders, using mostly stadimetric ones.

Advantage of being British allies as opposed to having still kinda frosty relations (something something the Great Game). Russia using its homegrown rangefinders as opposed British bang up to date stuff (as well as their ships being a bit slower) is why they ended up being the last country to run up the white flag at sea; Japan could dictate range and fire from outside of Russia's. (Russia's shells having crap fuses didn't help either which is why the earlier battle was so lopsided; Japan had realised after the problems they had during the Battle of the Yellow Sea they needed to put theirs on a hair trigger,, to the extent of a premature detonation in one case. Russia's were supposed to penetrate and explode inside the target, but they didn't do that last bit very well).

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

feedmegin posted:

is why they ended up being the last country to run up the white flag at sea.

Wait what? Like`, no white flags raised ever since?
Because I'm fairly certain there is a brief mention in one of the books about the battles around Guadalcanal or the Solomon region where a Japanese ship raised the white flag and got sunk anyways by very agitated American forces.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SerthVarnee posted:

Wait what? Like`, no white flags raised ever since?
Because I'm fairly certain there is a brief mention in one of the books about the battles around Guadalcanal or the Solomon region where a Japanese ship raised the white flag and got sunk anyways by very agitated American forces.

Possibly the last time surrender was actually accepted and ships captured in the open sea, then?

This quote is all over the internet - 'It has been characterized as the dying echo of the old era – for the last time in the history of naval warfare, ships of the line of a beaten fleet surrendered on the high seas" - but, annoyingly, unsourced.

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 1, 2023

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

feedmegin posted:

Advantage of being British allies as opposed to having still kinda frosty relations (something something the Great Game). Russia using its homegrown rangefinders as opposed British bang up to date stuff (as well as their ships being a bit slower) is why they ended up being the last country to run up the white flag at sea; Japan could dictate range and fire from outside of Russia's. (Russia's shells having crap fuses didn't help either which is why the earlier battle was so lopsided; Japan had realised after the problems they had during the Battle of the Yellow Sea they needed to put theirs on a hair trigger,, to the extent of a premature detonation in one case. Russia's were supposed to penetrate and explode inside the target, but they didn't do that last bit very well).

There were a bunch of problems with Russian fire control at Tsushima, but rangefinders weren't the big one. Their home-grown systems were fairly effective, and they'd hurriedly procured up-to-date Barr & Stroud systems for the 2nd Pacific Fleet before it set off for its date with destiny. They'd tried to implement a fairly sophisticated centralised system for fire control, with gunnery being controlled from a central fire control station in the spotting tops. However, these were unarmoured and easily destroyed, leading to a breakdown in the system. Fire control calculations were done not by mechanical systems, but by hand or by consulting tables. This was far too slow, and resulted in a large number of errors, both in range and deflection. Doctrine had ships firing single shots to find the range, then transitioning to rapid fire. With battleships firing only single, poorly controlled shots at slow rates of fire, this was unsurprisingly ineffective - Retvizan never stopped firing ranging shots.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Randomcheese3 posted:

There were a bunch of problems with Russian fire control at Tsushima, but rangefinders weren't the big one.

I was thinking more of the aftermath when the Russian fleet got chased down, to be fair, the actual battle was at closer range if I recall.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

feedmegin posted:

Possibly the last time surrender was actually accepted and ships captured in the open sea, then?

This quote is all over the internet - 'It has been characterized as the dying echo of the old era – for the last time in the history of naval warfare, ships of the line of a beaten fleet surrendered on the high seas" - but, annoyingly, unsourced.

Ah. Ships of the line is probably the important distinction here. I was thinking about a destroyer.

Randomcheese3
Sep 6, 2011

"It's like no cheese I've ever tasted."

SerthVarnee posted:

Ah. Ships of the line is probably the important distinction here. I was thinking about a destroyer.

There were a few cases in the Second World War where submarines and smaller ships surrendered - in the case of the British sub HMS Seal in 1940, the crew had to hang a white tablecloth from the conning tower because they didn't have a white flag. Tsushima was certainly the last time a fleet surrendered. The German fleet in 1918 and the Italian fleet in 1943 both passed into Allied custody, but these legally weren't surrenders, being part of the terms of armistices. This was certainly a major sticking point for the Italians as it allowed some elements of the Italian fleet to operate as 'co-belligerents' with the Allies.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins
Hey Milhist Thread, longtime lurker here. A friend of mine's uncle has moved on to the great bunker in the sky and he received some of his effects - basically a knickknacks chest. Mostly stuff like signed baseballs and flattened pennies, but he did also find three interesting things: Nazi medals from world war 2, apparently passed down from an ancestor who served with the Allies.

https://imgur.com/a/zvc5dNV

The Iron Cross has "1813" on the back, but I understand that that's standard.

Our question is, what are these, and are these in any way rare or of historical interest? My friend's trying to decide between quietly getting rid of them or finding a museum that would take them, maybe a VFW in his uncle's hometown. Thanks in advance, I know this thread is full of historians and the history adjacent and I've seen it work magic before.

spider bethlehem fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 3, 2023

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They look like Luftwaffe badges.

The one in the bottom left looks like its this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircrew_Badge_(Nazi)

The one in the bottom right looks like it's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachutist_Badge_(Nazi_Germany)

No idea how rare or interesting they might be. I just typed "Nazi medals" into wikipedia.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They look like Luftwaffe badges.

The one in the bottom left looks like its this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircrew_Badge_(Nazi)

The one in the bottom right looks like it's this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parachutist_Badge_(Nazi_Germany)

No idea how rare or interesting they might be. I just typed "Nazi medals" into wikipedia.

I originally read your username as Jamwad Hitler and I was like "the post/username consonance of this is supreme". Thank you, that looks exactly right.

I talked to the friend and apparently they were from a Luftwaffe pilot who handed them over when he was captured, which I probably should have said at first

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The National WW2 Museum in New Orleans took all my shithead Nazi grandpa’s poo poo we didn’t want; and some of my wife’s grandpa’s soviet stuff we couldn’t keep.

Prolly a good bet for stuff you don’t want but seems like it might be historically relevant in the future

We physically took it there though, idk what the process is if you’re not in New Orleans

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

spider bethlehem posted:

The Iron Cross has "1813" on the back, but I understand that that's standard.

It is; the Iron Cross was first introduced in 1813. The front has the year of the war it was issued for - there are 1870, 1914, and 1939 versions.

spider bethlehem posted:

Our question is, what are these, and are these in any way rare or of historical interest? My friend's trying to decide between quietly getting rid of them or finding a museum that would take them, maybe a VFW in his uncle's hometown. Thanks in advance, I know this thread is full of historians and the history adjacent and I've seen it work magic before.

They're pretty common awards. The Iron Cross doesn't have the ribbon, which adds to the value. I'd have to see them in person to give an exact figure.

You could consider donating them to the Holocaust Museum. This is the big one in DC, but some cities have smaller Holocaust Museums.

spider bethlehem
Oct 5, 2007
Makin with the stabbins

Cessna posted:

It is; the Iron Cross was first introduced in 1813. The front has the year of the war it was issued for - there are 1870, 1914, and 1939 versions.

They're pretty common awards. The Iron Cross doesn't have the ribbon, which adds to the value. I'd have to see them in person to give an exact figure.

You could consider donating them to the Holocaust Museum. This is the big one in DC, but some cities have smaller Holocaust Museums.

A Holocaust museum is a very fitting end for these things, even or perhaps especially if they end up destroying them. I'll recommend this to my friend.

To contribute a little bit, I believe the phrase "chocolate soldier" originated from a George Bernard Shaw play, Arms and the Man, which was first produced in 1894. Then ze Germans used it to describe Belgian soldiers in WW1 in advance of their attack. They did not think it would be a difficult fight, and then the Belgians turned in the performance they did, getting the moniker "brave little Belgium" in the international press. Since then it's become generalized and the meaning is pretty much as described previously - melt in the heat.

I've seen a few sources for this, but the phrase may well predate that, it's a logical enough metaphor to convergently evolve.

Thanks again Jamwad and Cessna! I feel good knowing these are going where their original owner would feel most spited.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Do museums actually destroy Nazi medals? I'd hope they put it in storage, you never know when some study in 200 years might need to look at it

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

VostokProgram posted:

Do museums actually destroy Nazi medals? I'd hope they put it in storage, you never know when some study in 200 years might need to look at it

Museums don't have unlimited storage, so I imagine that some fraction of what they're given must end up getting destroyed or thrown out.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I'd imagine most museums wouldn't even be interested in ubiquitous tat such as medals because they already have enough of them and they hardly tell anything interesting.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nenonen posted:

I'd imagine most museums wouldn't even be interested in ubiquitous tat such as medals because they already have enough of them and they hardly tell anything interesting.

If i was actively doing the Paratrooper impression i'd be interested in them as bulk "loot" for the musette bag. However I got out of it because realization was that if you are doing an activity with a bunch of people who enjoy dressing up as Nazis it's basically hanging out with a bunch of closet nazis.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I do sometimes think about historical value of old things, but honestly weird bits of trash would probably have much more historical value for future scientists than some ornate medals. Especially since so many other people are prone to preserving fancy war jewelry as opposed to all the weird disposable things.

It's not even really that important to the history of aesthetics, since aside from specifically using the swastika, it's not like the Nazi's ideas for medals are really very different from many other places and eras. I don't think there's a lot of stylistic experimentation with war medals.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I do sometimes think about historical value of old things, but honestly weird bits of trash would probably have much more historical value for future scientists than some ornate medals. Especially since so many other people are prone to preserving fancy war jewelry as opposed to all the weird disposable things.

It's not even really that important to the history of aesthetics, since aside from specifically using the swastika, it's not like the Nazi's ideas for medals are really very different from many other places and eras. I don't think there's a lot of stylistic experimentation with war medals.

The higher-level Nazi war decorations had memorably overlong names, at least. Like the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Golden Oak Leaves, Swords and Diamonds (only awarded once).

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
Has anyone attended the D-Day memorial event in France? What did you think? Worth it or any tips if I made the trip?

I would really love to go next year, so much so that if I had to fly in June 5th and out June 7th I would. For years I've been wanting to get involved with WWII vets and visit Normandy, and after some big (& good) events this year it hit me like a ton of bricks that these guys won't be here for much longer and I better poo poo or get off the pot.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

a dingus posted:

Has anyone attended the D-Day memorial event in France? What did you think? Worth it or any tips if I made the trip?

I would really love to go next year, so much so that if I had to fly in June 5th and out June 7th I would. For years I've been wanting to get involved with WWII vets and visit Normandy, and after some big (& good) events this year it hit me like a ton of bricks that these guys won't be here for much longer and I better poo poo or get off the pot.

I’ve had members from my reenactment group go in the past. In fact some of them jumped. Nobody has ever said a negative thing about the event.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I was there for the 60th on Omaha and it was very moving.

Just wish I'd been able to see Pointe du hoc but timing didn't work out.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

VostokProgram posted:

The thing about medals is that they're completely interchangable. There's not a lot of design changes (intentionally, because much of the point is that you're in a specific community once you're awarded one) and all but the highest-level ones get fabricated in massive lots.

There's lots of military equipment where having multiple examples has historical value - you can look at the different plants that stamped out a specific model of firearm, or track how uniforms adapted to field conditions, etc - but medals aren't one of them. You might want more than one depending on the kind of exhibits you're doing, but past that they're worthless.

The exception comes in when you can dedicate an exhibit to a specific soldier - this is the medal he won, this is the kind of weapons he was carrying when he won it, this is the description of what he did, etc - but that's not something that gets done with something like the Iron Cross.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Crab Dad posted:

I’ve had members from my reenactment group go in the past. In fact some of them jumped. Nobody has ever said a negative thing about the event.

The only negative-ish thing I have heard from anyone that went over was to add like at least an hour or two to any kind of plan for how jam-packed everything is and people just handing you shots or glasses of wine.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

a dingus posted:

I've never been nor do I know much about it, but if you really want to go then you should absolutely book travel to go. Worst case, you'll come home out some money (which it sounds like you're ok spending) and thinking it was meh, somehow. If you don't go, you may end up regretting it.