Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Oh, poo poo. I used to work there. I always figured they’d get bought by Microsoft tbh.

Why did you always figure it would get bought?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Party Boat posted:

Thanks for making such a cool game! When our kid was tiny my wife and I would make plans for the 45-60 minute chunks we'd get to play together while he napped. It's a very special game for us both.

Thanks! I am but a small part of the group, but I know these are the studio's favorite stories to hear.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

kliras posted:

iirc, they also pushed the ilvl requirements up for older maps which meant that even when you'd get non-dlc maps, you'd still struggle with them (since you couldn't access the maps and modes that'd give you better gear)

i don't remember a dev ever breaking the vanilla mode of a game like that

New World just did it with its new expansion. They straight up removed what used to be the max level endgame dungeon variations, and replaced them with ones that are only accessable if you have the expansion.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
Unfortunately Devolver is a public company and their share price keeps going down, so I feel like it's a matter of time before they're forced to introduce new leadership who will run the company into the ground with profit-maximizing obsessions. The company should have never gone public.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.

Original_Z posted:

The company should have never gone public.

This applies to every company

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

DancingMachine posted:

I am not following what is particularly dumb about these layoffs? Obviously when layoffs happen it's because something went wrong at some point but usually it's not the layoff itself that is the mistake. Somebody decided the cost of the studio's burn rate wasn't justified by projected forward results, and it seems plausible that they were correct?

The layoffs are dumb because saving cost by ejecting the people who make your product when you have the entire executive class paying themselves like, a thousand times what the collective amount you just saved by doing that while making literally nothing but increasingly bad decisions is incredibly dumb.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

BabelFish posted:

Oh hey! This is us!

I think the best way to put it is this is the 5th M&A I've been through in my last four studios, and this is the first one I feel properly comfortable going into.

Who knows what the future brings, but so far Devolver are super cool people to work with.

Chiming in to say I absolutely love Astroneer. ❤️

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Improbable Lobster posted:

I think a lot of those settings are just too "stock" these days. Part of the problem is that those throwback settings often feel very generic and musty. If you aren't doing something new and interesting with the concept and if you aren't a existing/licensed property that already uses that setting, then it would be hard to stand out.

Also doesn't help that the trendy modern styles of fiction are usually so deathly self-serious and afraid of anything out there or whimsical that they cut out everything that actually makes those settings interesting. The Green Knight I've heard good things about and that seems to go full hog with the weirdness.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some news that isn't layoffs or acquisitions for once from bork-bork land: Uppsala-based Bethesda studio MachineGames are opening a second studio up north in Sundsvall next year, aiming to be fully-staffed by 2025.

MachineGames is best known for heading up the rebooted Wolfenstein series that kicked off with The New Order, although they're also host to a small "Quake Club" that built the new episodes for the recent Quake 1 and 2 remasters. Publicly, they're currently working on an Indiana Jones game, but I wouldn't be shocked if this expansion is to try and fit a Wolfenstein 3 on their dance card...

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Nuebot posted:

The layoffs are dumb because saving cost by ejecting the people who make your product when you have the entire executive class paying themselves like, a thousand times what the collective amount you just saved by doing that while making literally nothing but increasingly bad decisions is incredibly dumb.

Ahh, but if you're IN that executive class, you're literally printing yourself more money. And once the ink in that money printer starts to dry up, you negotiate a bribe with the board for you to leave. Jumping from the C-suite, your golden parachute lands you outside you next gig, a flourishing mid sized studio with a popular new IP.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Further investigation into the Bungie situation

• When staff asked if one lever they looked at pulling to avoid layoffs was executive compensation, they were told that wasn't gonna happen... until after the article revealing this went public, at which point it was claimed that the CEO and executives forfeited "some" annual bonuses and simply never told anyone. Sure.
  • Sony is not being blamed internally. This is their own mess. The game director on Destiny 2 isn't considered a culprit either.
  • The $1.2 billion in employee retention from Sony was long-spent, usually in buying out employee's Bungie shares to sell to Sony.
  • The revenue target was set based on the trendline of player spending on the game over time without any wild inflation or whatever, so missing it by 45% is actually a pretty big deal. Players are pissed off and voting with their wallets!
  • The Final Shape is allegedly in a pretty solid state internally but they want it to be better than both Forsaken and The Taken King. It's viewed as their make-or-break to turn things around.
  • Morale seems to be through the floor, with understandable anger at management and frustration at a player base that they believe actively wants them to fail.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
Maybe it is time for Bungie to go.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

After what they did to Marathon? Maybe, it is time.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

At the current rate the entire Bungie company will be taking a pathway into darkness

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

The Kins posted:

[*]Morale seems to be through the floor, with understandable anger at management and frustration at a player base that they believe actively wants them to fail.
[/list]

It's true though, I want them to fail.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

At the current rate the entire Bungie company will be taking a pathway into darkness

You could say its gnop a marathon run into insolvency

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sandepande posted:

Maybe it is time for Bungie to go.

Given that their plan to deal with this situation is apparently "just hope we can make a Destiny 2 expansion so good that it brings back all the players we lost from our last lovely expansion", there's reasonable odds that this will be the outcome.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

theultimo posted:

You could say its gnop a marathon run into insolvency

Kanos posted:

Given that their plan to deal with this situation is apparently "just hope we can make a Destiny 2 expansion so good that it brings back all the players we lost from our last lovely expansion", there's reasonable odds that this will be the outcome.

Yeah, they'd be fools to believe their own player retention myth

2: the fallen lords.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Kanos posted:

For reasons that are beyond my understanding based on the 10 year history of Destiny I can state with absolute confidence that if this upcoming expansion is good enough, it really will bring back all the players and reverse the company’s fortunes.

Even if that company probably shouldn’t survive. They have some real black magic controlling their player base and the spell has broken before only for everyone to come flying back when conditions improve enough.

Really makes me think sometimes about what that game would be like in the hands of a studio that can stop loving up on the regular.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

The Kins posted:

• When staff asked if one lever they looked at pulling to avoid layoffs was executive compensation, they were told that wasn't gonna happen... until after the article revealing this went public, at which point it was claimed that the CEO and executives forfeited "some" annual bonuses and simply never told anyone. Sure.

Yep. Even if this is true, it would reinforce Bungie leadership's inability to effectively communicate. Folks want to know which levers have been pulled before considering layoffs, and leadership taking a financial bath is a galvanizing one. Of course, the levers should be more than "some" annual bonuses; really leadership should zero their income before firing anyone for the crime of not being leadership. The rationalizations for something else are so silly, like how leadership has come to expect a certain standard of living and it's not fair to them to have to adjust that (especially when a) the workers generally did nothing wrong, and b) it's usually leadership's actions that brought the company to that low point).

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

isk posted:

Yep. Even if this is true, it would reinforce Bungie leadership's inability to effectively communicate. Folks want to know which levers have been pulled before considering layoffs, and leadership taking a financial bath is a galvanizing one. Of course, the levers should be more than "some" annual bonuses; really leadership should zero their income before firing anyone for the crime of not being leadership. The rationalizations for something else are so silly, like how leadership has come to expect a certain standard of living and it's not fair to them to have to adjust that (especially when a) the workers generally did nothing wrong, and b) it's usually leadership's actions that brought the company to that low point).

What do you expect the people pulling more than a million a year to do, live off savings? Ridiculous.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Meiteron posted:

For reasons that are beyond my understanding based on the 10 year history of Destiny I can state with absolute confidence that if this upcoming expansion is good enough, it really will bring back all the players and reverse the company’s fortunes.

Even if that company probably shouldn’t survive. They have some real black magic controlling their player base and the spell has broken before only for everyone to come flying back when conditions improve enough.

Really makes me think sometimes about what that game would be like in the hands of a studio that can stop loving up on the regular.

yeah people want to play a game when its good and dont when its bad this isnt some grand mystery to puzzle over

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Meiteron posted:

It's not that weird for people to come back after a huge fuckup if they like your core game enough - Blizzard managed a boom/bust cycle with WoW of "hated expansion -> beloved expansion -> hated expansion" for a long time. The thing that makes it scary as gently caress is that they're a gigantic development studio with over 1000 employees but have absolutely no other appreciable revenue streams to speak of, so hoping for a miracle runback with the new expansion is their only plan.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
In order for Bungie to succeed I think they need to make their combat evolved, really take it to the next level

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Gologle posted:

In order for Bungie to succeed I think they need to make their combat evolved, really take it to the next level

There’s still Marathon, but that’s probably run its course.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Imagine if those gorgeous visuals from the Marathon trailer were used to make a real game, rather than some garbage live-service streamer bait.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
it also sounds like the next jade raymond project at haven studios might do all the magical ~cloud gaas~ stuff sony wants, so maybe marathon isn't as important in all of that

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Meiteron posted:

Fundamentally, it has a unique aesthetic, and just feels great to play, which already makes it significantly more interesting and engaging than most other FPS in the market.

What studios do you think would do a better job? I'm not sure I could name that many, maybe no more than five.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

kliras posted:

it also sounds like the next jade raymond project at haven studios might do all the magical ~cloud gaas~ stuff sony wants, so maybe marathon isn't as important in all of that

they bought bungie in part for them to give their input into sony making roughly 50,000 live service games and how to do it

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

which is extremely funny because destiny is a perfect example of how bungie doesn't really know what the gently caress they're doing in that respect

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Kith posted:

which is extremely funny because destiny is a perfect example of how bungie doesn't really know what the gently caress they're doing in that respect
suffice to say that the last of us factions 2 goons are not bungie fans

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2023/05/27/bungie-reportedly-reviewed-the-last-of-us-factions-and-found-it-lacking/

quote:

Bungie raised questions about the The Last of Us multiplayer project’s ability to keep players engaged for a long period of time, which led to the reassessment.

well well well

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's so loving stupid that people are mad about that

they did what they were told to do, if the game came out and wasn't the live-service game that Sony expected, it would have been shut down in 6 months like every other failed live-service game

e: and i'm sure sony would have been real understanding about bungie being completely wrong about the game just to protect it

Zokari fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Nov 4, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kith posted:

Actually they're very good at... some of the aspects
Sure the players are permanently pissed off about everything and the monetization isn't great and all that

But in terms of being a live service game it is great at pulling all the little knobs to get even people who "hate" the game to get addicted and keep logging in every day to click heads and get their battle pass progress.
The fact that so many destiny players hate destiny is evidence that they're very good at harnessing all that dark-pattern habit forming stuff -- otherwise those players would've just quit. (okay i guess they did quit in the last expansion rip. but they were good before that.) Leaning on the manipulative stuff like that to keep players hooked is exactly how GaaS became the trendy money printers of the industry, compared to "just make a fun game".

If I were a GaaS dev at Sony I wouldn't be asking Bungie how to set up the cash shop but I would absolutely be getting feedback on how to tweak all the little gameplay systems to keep players coming back and logging in.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 4, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zokari posted:

it's so loving stupid that people are mad about that

they did what they were told to do, if the game came out and wasn't the live-service game that Sony expected, it would have been shut down in 6 months like every other failed live-service game

e: and i'm sure sony would have been real understanding about bungie being completely wrong about the game just to protect it
the issue is, with bungie losing 45% revenue off destiny around the same time, if their assessment was accurate

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Last of Us 1 multiplayer is still running to this day in PS4, it had crazy high player retention even though no one ever talked about it. It's hard to believe that just the same thing but for 2 would have completely failed, but hey I'm not the one who made Destiny

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So The Escapist just fired their Editor-in-Chief, and the entire video team, including Yahtzee, resigned in protest.

https://twitter.com/nickjcal/status/1721640314203464045?t=OWSK1Mj78iqkuFUgUQXSHg&s=19

https://twitter.com/YahtzeeCroshaw/status/1721687212541280425?t=lLxPW40NyNddHWdxKiAhDA&s=19

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why’d they fire him?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lmao rip The Escapist, Yahtzee was singlehandedly keeping it afloat.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why’d they fire him?

"Not achieving goals" apparently, probably actually that they figured they could pay someone else less.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why’d they fire him?

twitter threads aren't visible without an account anymore so here's a screenshot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SirSamVimes posted:

Lmao rip The Escapist, Yahtzee was singlehandedly keeping it afloat.

"Not achieving goals" apparently, probably actually that they figured they could pay someone else less.

Wasn't he also the only one they paid back when they were still somewhat relevant, causing every other semi-notable talent to bail from the site?