Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Nocheez posted:

I consider myself a somewhat bright individual, and that was a lot of gibberish to me. How the gently caress this was actually able to work is amazing to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWOxAn3i-f8

Sam actually has a bunch of videos involving core memory used as an autodialer and as a drum sequencer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zytjONYkU94

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
brb antiinhibiting my cores

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

brb antiinhibiting my cores

I thought we weren't doing that this month?

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

https://twitter.com/ObsoleteSony/status/1719595121597931773

2004 me trying to program that thing to record reruns of the Simpsons on 7 channels at once

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
All I need is my bubble memory and I'm good.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dick Trauma posted:

All I need is my bubble memory and I'm good.

same

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Badah dah dah, badah dah dah, bah da da dahdah da...

WHY IS THAT SONG BURNED INTO MY MEMORY?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

I have an entire system of bubbles.

EDIT: TIME PIROT :q:

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Randalor posted:

Badah dah dah, badah dah dah, bah da da dahdah da...

WHY IS THAT SONG BURNED INTO MY MEMORY?
:same: :smithicide:

One of my lovely superpowers is a game song popping into my head whenever said video game is mentioned. Then it sticks around for a while, tormenting me.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Dick Trauma posted:

The Twin Bee series is so loving good too

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Asianometry often does videos on how current chip lithography works and that's just plain science fiction to me, but somehow the idea of weaving a computer program into being out of copper wire and tiny metal rings to go to the loving Moon is so far out that my mind literally refuses to understand it.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Phanatic posted:

What I don't get is that you have cores that have multiple inhibit wires running through them. If you drive the set wire and one inhibit wire, the core sees no net current and won't flip. But if you drive the set wire and multiple inhibit wires, the core does see a net current, and with the low coercivity of the core I don't see why you don't wind up with the same problems you would if you used those soft cores in a standard core memory configuration.

From here:

quote:

The address-decoding weave is implemented with pairs of wires referred to as inhibit wires. For each address bit there is an inhibit pair. One wire of a pair carries current when the corresponding address bit signal is 0, the other wire when the bit is 1. Each core is threaded by one or the other wire of each address-bit inhibit pair, woven in such a manner to implement a 0..n binary sequence. A given core is woven with the wires which carry current corresponding to the complement of their address. This may seem counter-intuitive but the function of these wires is to inhibit cores: only the core which is being addressed will not see any inhibit current.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

barbecue at the folks posted:

Asianometry often does videos on how current chip lithography works and that's just plain science fiction to me, but somehow the idea of weaving a computer program into being out of copper wire and tiny metal rings to go to the loving Moon is so far out that my mind literally refuses to understand it.

hard-wired memory, literally

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I wish I had faith in anything as much as those astronauts had faith in physics. (both astrophysics and the physics involved in their wire computer)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I get that, but it doesn't answer my question.

The reason stated in the video for why you can't just use a grid of wires and ensure that only the core you want to read sees enough current to flip state and trigger an output is that the larger cores have low coercivity, and so even the levels of current that won't be high enough for the non-target core to flip state will start to demagnetize it and eventually you wind up with the cores in random states. Okay, makes sense, so in core rope memory you basically need to be sending no net current through the cores you're not trying to read.

quote:

For example, in Figure 3 - a simple system with 4 words of 3 bits each - the core at binary address 00 is woven with the two inhibit wires which carry current when their address bit signal is 1. This core will see no inhibit current only when all address bit signals are 0. All the other cores have at least one '1' bit in their address and so have at least one wire which carries inhibit current when an address bit signal is 0, and will see at least one unit of inhibit current when location 0 is addressed.

Right. All good. But my point is that there are cores which are going to see *more* than one unit of inhibit current, but will only see one unit of reset current, which means that the net current through the core isn't 0, it's (reset current - (inhibit current * # of inhibit wires)), which I'd think would give you the same trouble: with the low coercivity of the cores, that current eventually puts the cores in random states.

Answer turns out to be further down the page:

quote:

The address is presented to the drivers of the inhibit pairs, enabling current through the appropriate wires. All cores except one see at least one unit of current from the inhibit wires threaded through them. This current is sufficient to saturate those cores.

So multiple units of inhibit current won't do anything that a single unit won't do, net current flow isn't zero but the current beyond that which equals the reset current isn't doing anything to the core.

Thanks for the link!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Oh poo poo, Capacity of Animated Expression is over 200??

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dick Trauma posted:

Did we ever figure out if there's a cure for men's restless fighting spirit?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Necrothatcher posted:

Did we ever figure out if there's a cure for men's restless fighting spirit?

Castration or death, if I remember correctly. Well, I mean, those are what's used on farms and with house pets, I'm assuming it would work on men as well. Restless fighting spirit is stored in the balls after all.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Randalor posted:

Castration or death, if I remember correctly. Well, I mean, those are what's used on farms and with house pets, I'm assuming it would work on men as well. Restless fighting spirit is stored in the balls after all.

At least in terms of castration, ancient China has a few thoughts on the subject that you might need to take into consideration.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Dewgy posted:

At least in terms of castration, ancient China has a few thoughts on the subject that you might need to take into consideration.

I got castrated in ancient China and all I got was this lousy t-shirt!!!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
People keep asking questions about my ancient chinese castration that are answered by my t shirt.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dewgy posted:

Like what?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

"Where did you get castrated?" and "When did you get castrated?"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Eunuch my nuts I nick ur concubines

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Serperoth posted:

"Where did you get castrated?" and "When did you get castrated?"

Like, as in, geographically or how much did they take off?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Maybe beats a little off the top

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Wasabi the J posted:

Eunuch my nuts I nick ur concubines

The eunuch thing has always seemed ill conceived to me because I got castrated two years ago and I gently caress like a tiger

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
and from the other side if i lived in a harem with all my whims catered to i would romance a handsome harem guard with soft skin and in built contraception for the thrill

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

goblin week posted:

The eunuch thing has always seemed ill conceived to me because I got castrated two years ago and I gently caress like a tiger

I hope you aren't confusing a vasectomy and castration. :ohdear:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Nocheez posted:

I hope you aren't confusing a vasectomy and castration. :ohdear:

A vasectomy DOESN'T require cutting your balls off? This is very concerning

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's multiple levels of castration because language is fickle. A vasectomy is not castration as no body parts are removed.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
what if you cut off their dicks but not the balls? seems like a worst case scenario

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:getin:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Light Gun Man posted:

what if you cut off their dicks but not the balls? seems like a worst case scenario

That would be a penectomy vs orchiectomy

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Wasabi the J posted:

That would be a penectomy vs orchiectomy

It's just a dick move.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Did Bubble Bobble actually use bubble memory? I know a lot of other Konami games like the original Gradius did, but it would break my heart if the literal Bubble game didn’t actually use it. That’s false advertising!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

galagazombie posted:

Did Bubble Bobble actually use bubble memory? I know a lot of other Konami games like the original Gradius did, but it would break my heart if the literal Bubble game didn’t actually use it. That’s false advertising!

Nope, there were only four games for the Bubble System because it honestly kind of sucked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEueYGq2mT4

This boot sequence showed up every time it was turned on because the memory chips had to literally warm up to about 100 degrees F to be usable.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

Dewgy posted:

Nope, there were only four games for the Bubble System because it honestly kind of sucked.

This boot sequence showed up every time it was turned on because the memory chips had to literally warm up to about 100 degrees F to be usable.

It had to warm up and then (iirc) the game had to be copied from the bubble memory into working memory, which is what most of that countdown is. So yeah, slow and painful. Nice tune though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

That music is excellent. Reminds me of a demo disk for the Amigas that played Christmas music. We sold Amigas for a little while at Software Etc. and some of those carols sounded great. I've never been able to find the exact one again. I'm sure I'd recognize it immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Dewgy posted:

You young whippersnappers always complaining about your videogames overheating your 360’s and Switches and Alienwares. Back in MY day we had to worry about our video games not being hot enough! Brb buying a little coal stove to put behind my restored Gradius cabinet.