Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Idk, are games ever really held back in popularity because of the reading level of the writing? It's not exactly Disco Elysium is it, you can play through all of Skyrim without reading a word. If Skyrim had the best writing in human history, engaging with it is writing is optional and you can mash through all dialogue if you want. They'll stick a map marker telling you where to go. The writing is so bad this is what you end up doing anyway.

i just don't pay attention to writing or plot in games. my rule is pretty simple: is the game mechanically fun to play? if so then i'm happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Fanatic posted:

I don't understand why Akila city has so much mud everywhere. Like, come on future space-faring civilisation, pave your drat roads. :argh:

They’re space libertarians governed by a council of oligarchs. Well-funded public infrastructure is antithetical to their entire way of life.

If you get stuck in the mud walking down the main drag, you just pull yourself out by your bootstraps.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think most of their consumers feel the same way, which means they have nothing to gain by "writing down" but they do have something to gain by writing compelling stories for those who like engaging with stories and the world. BG3 wasn't billed as like a BethesdaMassEffect choose your own adventure and person type deal but hits all those bells way better. You can also ignore the writing and story and just play a fun combat encounter RPG.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shipon posted:

i just don't pay attention to writing or plot in games. my rule is pretty simple: is the game mechanically fun to play? if so then i'm happy

Kinda, but so many of the mechanics are disconnected from the game that it's questionable how good the experience is.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf

are people actually comparing bethesda and bioware/obsidian as far as story/world engagement these days? since when and why

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Khanstant posted:

I think most of their consumers feel the same way, which means they have nothing to gain by "writing down" but they do have something to gain by writing compelling stories for those who like engaging with stories and the world. BG3 wasn't billed as like a BethesdaMassEffect choose your own adventure and person type deal but hits all those bells way better. You can also ignore the writing and story and just play a fun combat encounter RPG.

I really hope BG3 lights some fires under asses wrt to writing compelling stories, but it's probably just going to result in RPGs having way more loving

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Fanatic posted:

I don't understand why Akila city has so much mud everywhere. Like, come on future space-faring civilisation, pave your drat roads. :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pQdjwliLMA
Advanced and ultra rich countries just can't relate

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Kinda, but so many of the mechanics are disconnected from the game that it's questionable how good the experience is.

The poi looting hooks into exploration because that's how you find poi's, but it still lets you ignore outpost building. Scanning animals just feels like it's there because they remembered no man's sky had it. Why in the world have I now been presented with furnishing apartments, are there not stores in the future, did they mind iron for the chairs at terror brew

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I really hope BG3 lights some fires under asses wrt to writing compelling stories, but it's probably just going to result in RPGs having way more loving

Also a voice cast that really goes for it and has fun and lean into their roles, really enhances the adventure and time spent with these characters. Sensible camera work too, the difference between a multi person conversation in BG3 and Starfield was jarring. Sarah piping in to random convos like a ghoul jump scare with the way the camera just snaps to another zoomed in direct face forward frame of whatever awkward spot she was standing in the world, then snap right back to NPC.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

FuzzySlippers posted:

As bad as the game's companions are vs BG3/Obsidian games/etc I think they might be better than anything else Bethesda has done. FO4 had Valentine who was cool and uh the dude who bugged you to do missions and some journalist that was only amusing because you could tell her you HATE NEWSPAPERS. I don't remember using anyone else. Skyrim had the lady who would carry your burdens, but I don't remember her otherwise having a personality and there was also the slightly livelier vampire who would talk during her quest. I don't think their games before that had companions at all but maybe I just never had any Oblivion potato people follow me around. Did Morrowind? I know Daggerfall didn't.

I actually like Barret and Andreja is alright so I'd call it at worst a wash vs FO4's Valentine (who is better than either of them individually).

At least Fallout 4 had different teenage fantasies for your companions, from french android girl to virgin ROTC guy. Here we have excellent mid life crisis fantasies such as space karen and the worlds most single dad.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

BULBASAUR posted:

At least Fallout 4 had different teenage fantasies for your companions, from french android girl to virgin ROTC guy. Here we have excellent mid life crisis fantasies such as space karen and the worlds most single dad.

Emil's writing is truly a reflection of his growth as a person! :v:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Khanstant posted:

Sarah piping in to random convos like a ghoul jump scare with the way the camera just snaps to another zoomed in direct face forward frame of whatever awkward spot she was standing in the world, then snap right back to NPC.

This was great, especially when your companion was stuck on geometry in another room, so you'd just get a close-up of the wall while they yell their lines from the hallway

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Whats even better is; you better hope no one gets distracted mid dialogue, because you are locked in place for the duration.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Inspector Hound posted:

The poi looting hooks into exploration because that's how you find poi's, but it still lets you ignore outpost building. Scanning animals just feels like it's there because they remembered no man's sky had it. Why in the world have I now been presented with furnishing apartments, are there not stores in the future, did they mind iron for the chairs at terror brew

Scanning plants and animals is one of the mechanics that seems fine and even fits into the exploration theme until you get to the actual mechanics of it, where it takes several unique scans to get actual information and you have to sink several upgrade points and complete multiple challenges to make it not a chore to do. The actual skill upgrades are all marginal until the final tier which lets you use the scanner as it should be out of the box.

It's padding with very little gameplay utility.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Scanning is mostly cosmetic fluff but that would be fine if they had a logbook or whatever to look up what you've scanned. Link it up with the photo mode for glamour shots on every entry and people will eat it up. Instead we get... nothing.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah somehow rdr2 handled this much more elegantly and the journal drawings are really endearing

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Scanning things in Pikmin 4 is basically automatic and absolutely delightful. You can scan a little frog monster and you get four sentences about how maybe it’s just hostile because it doesn’t like rain or something. Then you scan a fork and the in game log says “oh this is a mighty trident from a sea god”.

For a more serious example look at the scanning system from Metroid Prime, which came out in 2002 on the loving GameCube. Every scanned enemy would reveal some interesting factoid about their biology or reproduction.

Starfield, 21 years later, tries to ape the scanning from No Man’s Sky or Metroid Prime but gives you 4 seemingly randomly generated qualities when you scan a critter. Oh this thing drops a Toxin, it lives in Sand biome, it reproduces Heterozygously (not implemented), and it’s temperament is Dickhead. Spore did a better job than this, and it was widely panned for samey feeling aliens despite their massively varied appearances.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Coldforge posted:

You're not wrong. Someone will probably point to Morrowind having better characters, but anyone who still remembers Morrowind's characters probably can't remember what they had for breakfast today.

I'll point to something more modern.

ESO.

ESO has extremely good companions. Ember and Isobel are extremely high quality. Mirri is fantastic. As is Sharp-As-Night.

The writing is also generally the best part and the reason most people keep playing. Expansion storylines can be hit or miss ( High Isles kinda stank, Elsewyr got some character issues ), but the side quests/general stuff tends to be very good. The Daedric War arc is probably the best thing Bethesda has put out in recent memory.

Like we have a recent pipeline of Bethesda actually caring about it's writing/worldbuilding, and it just got another expansion in June that's actually been pretty good. They -can- do good stories/writing, but they seem to lock all the writers up in the TES rooms and Fallout/Starfield stuff gets written by basically an intern.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wellllll.... Xedit is now officially released.
it takes 10 minutes for it to open Starfield.
(on an nvme, lol at platters )
E: also, the ppl behind xedit are pretty caustic about under the hood descisions so far

staberind fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 4, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Rookersh posted:

ESO.

ESO has extremely good companions. Ember and Isobel are extremely high quality. Mirri is fantastic. As is Sharp-As-Night.

The writing is also generally the best part and the reason most people keep playing. Expansion storylines can be hit or miss ( High Isles kinda stank, Elsewyr got some character issues ), but the side quests/general stuff tends to be very good. The Daedric War arc is probably the best thing Bethesda has put out in recent memory.

Like we have a recent pipeline of Bethesda actually caring about it's writing/worldbuilding, and it just got another expansion in June that's actually been pretty good. They -can- do good stories/writing, but they seem to lock all the writers up in the TES rooms and Fallout/Starfield stuff gets written by basically an intern.

I should play ESO

Geek Icon
May 8, 2006
Hello.
After 2 game restarts, trying to get graphical glitches to gently caress off, some "40 hours of fake time" according to Steam, and a 140 mods later of trying to set things up the way I'd like it... I just reached Akila city for the first time. This whole game so far just screams "why bother?"

But now I'm just determined to finish it because I've spent $75 on it and 30+ hours trying to fix it. I'm hate-playing for the first time, something is wrong with me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Yeah dude just fuckin uninstall. That sunk cost fallacy feeling will fade fast the instant you play something good instead. This month has already released several games way better than this chunks of poo poo drivel. There is no salvaging it with mods and you're never going to be able to lower your standards low enough to be able to enjoy it.

I cannot overstate how drat good it feels to uninstall Starfield and never play it again.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I am a sick gently caress and am enjoying this garbage slop regardless. Don't be like me, have some self-respect

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Rookersh posted:

ESO.

Bethesda isn't making Elder Scrolls Online. That's Zenimax Online Studios.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Professor Beetus posted:

I am a sick gently caress and am enjoying this garbage slop regardless. Don't be like me, have some self-respect
It's perfectly fine to like a bad game.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
to be fair, were it not for "lots of mods", this game is practically unplayable.

Geek Icon posted:

After 2 game restarts, trying to get graphical glitches to gently caress off, some "40 hours of fake time" according to Steam, and a 140 mods later of trying to set things up the way I'd like it... I just reached Akila city for the first time. This whole game so far just screams "why bother?"

But now I'm just determined to finish it because I've spent $75 on it and 30+ hours trying to fix it. I'm hate-playing for the first time, something is wrong with me.

IGNORE everything and get Andreja, also get started on making outposts on worlds with animals and flora and poo poo in your NG+
and then hateplay it.
also, the setup of "You?" is 99% "do you have your spacesuit on? smaessuit. did i mention spaesuit?"
"spacesuit"
I almost miss sarah, almost.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Well I've just got the last achievement and made it to NG+ (which I've spent all of 10 minutes in) so that'll about do it for me.

Might hop back in on my pre-NG+ save if any interesting DLC drops but for now I'm finally free. :yayclod:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

If there are any new players still reading after all of this, do not get the "dream home" perk unless you really, really like crafting furniture, go "kid stuff" instead or the perk that makes you stronger while on planets.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
im still super amazed that they dont let you switch traits or reroll talents between games

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
I got one of the random spacer hold up events when I was flying the razorleaf around today, that was pretty entertaining

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/KixOCTp.gifv

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inspector Hound posted:

If there are any new players still reading after all of this, do not get the "dream home" perk unless you really, really like crafting furniture, go "kid stuff" instead or the perk that makes you stronger while on planets.

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/6103 go fukkin wild. you cannot do all 3 religious traits (go va'ruun, ofc.) and a couple of the others you need to choosebetween a couple, but go for it.
Essentially it just gives you a few bonuses, more dialogue choices and the fan is a must have, somehow he's less irritating than sarah.

staberind fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 4, 2023

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Fanatic posted:

Well I've just got the last achievement and made it to NG+ (which I've spent all of 10 minutes in) so that'll about do it for me.

Might hop back in on my pre-NG+ save if any interesting DLC drops but for now I'm finally free. :yayclod:

Hah, I got the last achievement yesterday as well and decided it was time to uninstall until either DLC or some good mods are available for console.

It's a weird kind of game - it started really strong but the more I played the less I enjoyed it, but despite all of the obvious flaws I still liked it enough to grind out all the cheevos.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

isndl posted:

Scanning is mostly cosmetic fluff but that would be fine if they had a logbook or whatever to look up what you've scanned. Link it up with the photo mode for glamour shots on every entry and people will eat it up. Instead we get... nothing.

The photo mode gallery is capped at 50 images, lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

webmeister posted:

The photo mode gallery is capped at 50 images, lol

Lmao what. That's insane

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Does Andreja say anything if you have the House Varuun trait?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

theres a couple conversations where you can mention it, but mostly no

if you romance her, even if you have told her your beliefs previously, she is upset that you as a non-believer will be devoured by the serpent and there is no option to say that you are a serpent worshipper too.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

You knew in your heart the answer to this

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

DarkHorse posted:

With what the game presents you it really raises questions on how you could even have the House Varuun trait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

Fun Shoe
Actually, wrt snake tits, one of the NG+ is her and some vroomies in constellation, if you have that background, she's chill. aparrently

1glitch0 posted:

With what the game presents you it really raises questions on how you could even have the House Varuun trait.

picture this : that trait, kids stuff, and the "You?" NG+.
its gibberish, your parents live in New Atlantis and don't hiss very much (so far, anyhow), they (Bethesda) really dug a bunch of holes for themselves.

staberind fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 5, 2023