Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Bad Seafood posted:

That one might actually be impossible for me. That one and the Sunbaked Desert are the two gatekeeping the final level.

I'd still be stuck on the semi-final reprise if not for an infinitely more skilled Luigi player bailing my ghost out like three times on the last leg.

I'm not about going Yoshi to get through those and chrckmarking levels later but it doesn't help fluff puff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

kecske posted:

im finding that odyssey is a mixed bag. I'm playing it for the first time but something about 3D platforming just doesn't click for me. might leave it for now and move on to either U.Deluxe or Wonder, since they're basically the same price somehow despite a 4 year gap between them

This got flack, but they're right. Odyssey has a real issue that you're often not actually doing a gameplay challenge, just running between slightly interactive cut scenes masquerading as gameplay. It just needs a tad more "crunch". About a thousand other people said it, but Bowser's Fury does the 3D Mario formula much better.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bug Squash posted:

This got flack, but they're right. Odyssey has a real issue that you're often not actually doing a gameplay challenge, just running between slightly interactive cut scenes masquerading as gameplay. It just needs a tad more "crunch". About a thousand other people said it, but Bowser's Fury does the 3D Mario formula much better.

insane post

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

symbolic posted:

insane post

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Aware posted:

That fluff puff peaks special world is destroying my sanity

That was the hardest level in the game for me, even considering the final final level.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

While Odyssey is not as good as say, Sonic Frontiers, it still a great game in its own right

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Love Mario, except for all that running and jumping

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Aware posted:

That fluff puff peaks special world is destroying my sanity

I was really hoping for more levels like it

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Yeah honestly same, I don't think anything in the game cost me more than about 20 lives and that level was the worst of them. Special World was kind of let down in that regard.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Bad Seafood posted:

have to hold Y the whole time, which ends up being murder on your hands as the controller digs into your palm.

I was with you until this

Are people playing Mario games and just ... walking

I think there was maybe one or two moments in the entire game where I wasn't holding Y

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Sad Panda posted:

Is there some kind of obvious marker on the overworld map that a level in Wonder has a secret exit? Like how in SMW you had yellow or red dots. I only realised that I'd missed something on a few of the levels in the first world from the lack of that background check mark on the courses list although I had the pole, three coins and both visible wonder seeds.

I haven't really seen for sure, but I thought after finishing the level select thing would maybe show a third seed is missing. But that might just be if you got the secret one first. Some secret paths are also just on the map. So you can't find them from an exit. You have to find them by walking around.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

maybeadracula posted:

I was with you until this

Are people playing Mario games and just ... walking

I brought my Switch to the local anime club to let the head try Wonder out before it started. I watched him play, and he never used the run button.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Mario has kingdoms to save, he doesn't have time to walk everywhere.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The gaps Mario can run across look bigger than they did in 1987, so I was surprised when I could still do it in some levels.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

symbolic posted:

insane post

the switch thread Take machine must be stopped.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Dracula Appraiser posted:

I haven't really seen for sure, but I thought after finishing the level select thing would maybe show a third seed is missing. But that might just be if you got the secret one first. Some secret paths are also just on the map. So you can't find them from an exit. You have to find them by walking around.

Thanks for that. It must be if you got the secret exist first. I didn't find the secret exit on the singing piranha plant level from the first world. It showed me having found the flag pole, the 3 purple coins and the two wonder seeds. The only reason I worked out that I'd missed something was that it didn't have that pale blue check behind all that.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Does sarasaland have retainers?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Holy poo poo, I had a star and was running across some munchers. Another player was mario and running in the opposite direction and we phased through each other. Got a notification: "daisy shared her super star with mario"

How loving cool is that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Does sarasaland have retainers?

Come to think of it, have we ever even seen the place again after Mario Land (Daisy seems to be spending a lot of time away from home these days)?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I don't think so, barring little background stuff like smash brothers or whatever. The mario wiki tells me Sarasaland is compromised of several kingdoms, indicating that it is actually a fricking empire!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

While Odyssey is not as good as say, Sonic Frontiers, it still a great game in its own right

what the gently caress

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Gods!!?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Please don't ragebait in the Nintendo thread.

Mario Odyssey is better than every Sonic and almost as good as Windjammers 2.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I don't think so, barring little background stuff like smash brothers or whatever. The mario wiki tells me Sarasaland is compromised of several kingdoms, indicating that it is actually a fricking empire!

Yeah, Nintendo loves introducing a new kingdom for one game and then never bringing it back ever again. The Beanbean Kingdom from Superstar Saga and the Pi'illo Kingdom from Dream Team are also like this, and I imagine we won't be seeing the Flower Kingdom ever again.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

YggiDee posted:

"Good" is a word with a lot of heavy lifting, I love Star Ocean 2 but I don't think I can call it good.

i can. it's amazing.

quote:

I remember recruiting a character and reloading until they didn't start with a "sense of rhythm" because you get more skill points if they start life bad at the piano.

no point in this because you get more than enough sp to cap everything no matter what

quote:

You can pick the pockets of every single NPC in the game, 95% of the time they have 5 dollars and pocket lint, the other 5% they have unique game-breaking item and you only get one try per every NPC, and doing it makes your party hate you.

you're supposed to pickpocket during private actions, that makes it not affect friendship levels. also in the remake you get 3 tries per npc, each npc has 3 items, and you can find consumables to refresh your tries

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Pungry posted:

Yeah, Nintendo loves introducing a new kingdom for one game and then never bringing it back ever again. The Beanbean Kingdom from Superstar Saga and the Pi'illo Kingdom from Dream Team are also like this, and I imagine we won't be seeing the Flower Kingdom ever again.

I wouldn’t mind a return to Delfino Island if the music still slaps just as hard

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I need to give Odyssey a proper shot still, we were super excited to do it as a multiplayer after 3D World was so, so good for that… but the ‘one person plays as the hat’ didn’t seem to work so hot in comparison.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Yeah, the multiplayer in Odyssey is solidly in “Little Sibling Mode” territory

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I wouldn’t mind a return to Delfino Island if the music still slaps just as hard

The few short moments of Sunshine music in Wonder did kick rear end

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The coop in Bowser's Fury always felt to me like a direct response to how shabby Odyssey's coop was.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Got the Princess Zelda TOTK amiibo in the mail today. :)

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

maybeadracula posted:

The few short moments of Sunshine music in Wonder did kick rear end

Well they’ll kick rear end less now that I know they’re coming!!! :mad:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Well they’ll kick rear end less now that I know they’re coming!!! :mad:

Luckily for you I was lying

They aren't in there and they suck

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Phew!!!

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

An Actual Princess posted:

i can. it's amazing.

no point in this because you get more than enough sp to cap everything no matter what

you're supposed to pickpocket during private actions, that makes it not affect friendship levels. also in the remake you get 3 tries per npc, each npc has 3 items, and you can find consumables to refresh your tries

I originally added the private action part but honestly I felt like my paragraph was long enough as it was amd I was exaggerating slightly for drama. Also I couldn't remember if it worked that way and didn't want to actually look it up.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Star Ocean 2 is one of my favorite games, and I was super excited for the remake, but Target decided it wants to take its sweet time sending it to me.

I enjoyed Castlevania 64, especially since when I got the second one I was better at it than my brother and his friends, which pissed them off to no end. It might be the fact that I was a little kid and didn’t know any better, that I enjoyed it, but I still wouldn’t mind a Switch version.

Space Robot fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 4, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

YggiDee posted:

"Good" is a word with a lot of heavy lifting, I love Star Ocean 2 but I don't think I can call it good. Unlocking the secret boss is some of the most obtuse "did-you-buy-a-strategy-guide" nonsense known to gaming. There are so many systems that overlap in incredibly stupid ways. There are thirteen playable characters and you only have enough slots to recruit eight of them. Two characters are mutually exclusive based on who you pick as the protagonist, some are mutually exclusive just because. I remember recruiting a character and reloading until they didn't start with a "sense of rhythm" because you get more skill points if they start life bad at the piano. I don't remember the story at all, which for how much I played the game isn't a good sign. The PSX translation was Bad. There's a rudimentary Relationship system which changes what endings you get and you never have any way to know it exists until the credits are rolling and you somehow friend-zoned everyone by reading books. There's a shield that has a small chance of auto-killing anything that attacks the wearer and it works on the secret super boss, but only two characters can use it and you probably didn't recruit them. You can pick the pockets of every single NPC in the game, 95% of the time they have 5 dollars and pocket lint, the other 5% they have unique game-breaking item and you only get one try per every NPC, and doing it makes your party hate you. Is Star Ocean 2 good? Absolutely not, it is probably 30% jank by volume. However it is amazing.

One party member has a barrel fetish.

Recently, I've been playing the remake of the first game on Switch, and I was amazed to learn that the character recruiting in SO2 was actually an improvement. Though, having to run through a big part of the game with less than 4 characters because all my favorites are hidden under multiple bullshit-layers felt astonishingly nostalgic, and I immediately bought the 2nd remake the day it was out on Switch, so I can just continue after I finish up the first game.

Space Robot posted:

Star Ocean 2 is one of my favorite games, and I was super excited for the remake, but Target decided it wants to take its sweet time sending it to me.

I've long stopped fighting my impatience, if the 2-3 local shops don't have it in physical, eShop it is.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Do you need to have played Star ocean 1 to enjoy Star ocean 2?
I keep confusing it with Star tropics.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

otter posted:

Do you need to have played Star ocean 1 to enjoy Star ocean 2?
I keep confusing it with Star tropics.

You don't have to play Star Ocean 1 first, they're unrelated stories that happen to take place in the same universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill

Mister Facetious posted:

I brought my Switch to the local anime club to let the head try Wonder out before it started. I watched him play, and he never used the run button.

I love catching vibes at the local anime club