Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

i started doing the same thing where is go position->separate xyz -> plug x and y to arctan2 and thought "surely there must be a better way".

then i saw you did the same solution and then later i saw defaultcube's video where he also does the same thing so i guess there just isn't a better way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Wheany posted:

i started doing the same thing where is go position->separate xyz -> plug x and y to arctan2 and thought "surely there must be a better way".

then i saw you did the same solution and then later i saw defaultcube's video where he also does the same thing so i guess there just isn't a better way

i think any “better way” would just be doing this under the hood anyway

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

fart simpson posted:

i think any “better way” would just be doing this under the hood anyway

sure, it's trigonometry. but there could well be some kind of "angle around vector" type of node

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

this is way more awesome than I assumed something called “nodevember” would be! this looks like my kind of art, anyone have a good starter tutorial for a non-artist with pretty weak trig?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

lookin forward to seeing where this one goes

a wee pixel car

I need to figure out how to get bevelled edges, my extrude->scale->subdivide doesn't really work. also is there a way to merge edges and faces?

look great man

im on step 2, detailing. figured out a cool way to add the screen and control panel to random shapes and always have it fit in the right spot, using raycasting

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Subjunctive posted:

this is way more awesome than I assumed something called “nodevember” would be! this looks like my kind of art, anyone have a good starter tutorial for a non-artist with pretty weak trig?

do you know blender at all? ive always liked erindale's tutorial videos but they might be over your head a bit if you're 100% new to this stuff? idk:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FCHcbpnFss

erindale also has some paid courses. i did the tree bridge one for like $25 and it was very helpful but thats not a beginner thing. there is a beginner course too which i would assume is good if youre willing to spend $25: https://www.nodegroup.xyz/store https://www.canopy.games/p/bcs-geometry-nodes-3x?affcode=379023_i5skfa8n

other than some tutorial videos you really just get going by jumping in and doing it. start with a small idea and bash your head against the wall until you figure it out and then you keep going from there. we're all learning by trial and error here

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

new to blender, but I'll check out the beginner course. thanks!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

if you’re completely new to blender do yourself a favor and at least do the first couple steps of the donut tutorial (just search blender donut tutorial on YouTube) to familiarize yourself with the interface. it’s not beginner friendly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The guy who does the donut tutorial calls a single vertex a "verticee" and it makes me very annoyed.

He does do pretty good beginner tutorials though.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

if you’re completely new to blender do yourself a favor and at least do the first couple steps of the donut tutorial (just search blender donut tutorial on YouTube) to familiarize yourself with the interface. it’s not beginner friendly

yes this. the interface is trying to be optimized for ppl who know what they’re doing. it’s not designed to be easy for people to just poke around (ie, it’s a tool and not a toy)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i have basically run out of time. whole thing is nodes tho, even the film grain and halation is compositor nodes based on nose textures.

im gonna render out like 1000 of these with different random seeds tonight and pick out the good ones

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 4, 2023

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

yes this. the interface is trying to be optimized for ppl who know what they’re doing. it’s not designed to be easy for people to just poke around (ie, it’s a tool and not a toy)

the screenshots you guys post of the ui are some of the most intimidating software screenshots ive ever looked at. this is insane to me

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

the screenshots you guys post of the ui are some of the most intimidating software screenshots ive ever looked at. this is insane to me

it’s just a visual programming language with poor tooling, op

my record is a single scene with 5200 nodes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

post hole digger posted:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

post hole digger posted:

node trees have a habit of becoming that. like you start by making some nodes that model an eye. then you duplicate it to make a second eye. then you make some nodes that draws a nose, then some that draws a mouth, then you combine them all and you end up with that mess. it's not something that you just decide that you're going to make.

its like one of those 10000-line if-else files from a game by someone who doesn't know how to program, except node trees don't really have any alternatives. like if you want to use the same value in 2 different places, you have to drag the noodle from the node where you define it all acress your node tree. adding reroutes helps a little bit, as does adding frames, but in general node trees look like a goddamn mess

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

fart simpson posted:

welcome 2 nodevember op. i only have time to answer your first question now, if nobody else gets around to the others ill be back later.

theres probably a few ways to make a radial map like that butwhat i'd use is polar coordinates. arctan2(y/x) gives you the radian angle of the position in polar coordinates, so in geometry nodes you can just take the position, separate xyz, arctan2, then do some math on that angle to get a mask. for this i'd probably use a ping pong node to ping pong the value with a scale of pi divided by the number of ribs you want. map range afterward is useful, you can play with basically ever number in the map range to get the result you want. and then you set position, scaling the normal direction by your map range values plugged into the offset.

btw, "normal -> vector scale -> set position offset" is a generally good way of doing distortions. it's by far the most common use of set position that i use

also keep in mind that in shader nodes, you dont need geometry because it will just work on the pixels, so the gradient will always be smooth, but geometry nodes work on vertices and edges and faces etc. so this radial gradient won't look "smooth" if you don't have enough geometry to work with. so you might need to subdivide and up your poly count to get the results you want

e: your 3rd question is easy. you can use the "store named attribute" node and write the gradient mask above into a named attribute. in your shader nodes, you can access it with the "attribute" input node

thank you for this! i'm sure the mathematics of making the polar array are gonna be useful to me eventually, but i am at a much more basic level. the part that i needed was just this. lol:

am starting to get a grasp of how the vector math works and how to move vertices in the desired directions. using your tip i was able to make the cactus ribs in the geometry nodes, and also fix the glitches at the top and bottom by mixing in another gradient to fade out the weight of the deformation.

that stuff in the lower left corner where it goes position - rotate - add - scale. is there a better way of doing multiple mathematical operations in sequence, or is that how you have to do it? grasshopper has a little "expression" component that is extremely nice when you have a bunch of operations to perform on a value. anything like this in blender?

oh, and the turd was sick just because i had an area light below the cactus but the turd was longer and clipped through it. durr

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Wheany posted:

node trees have a habit of becoming that. like you start by making some nodes that model an eye. then you duplicate it to make a second eye. then you make some nodes that draws a nose, then some that draws a mouth, then you combine them all and you end up with that mess. it's not something that you just decide that you're going to make.

its like one of those 10000-line if-else files from a game by someone who doesn't know how to program, except node trees don't really have any alternatives. like if you want to use the same value in 2 different places, you have to drag the noodle from the node where you define it all acress your node tree. adding reroutes helps a little bit, as does adding frames, but in general node trees look like a goddamn mess
I find it really useful to group things - it's kinda like in programming, you can create groups that abstract things you use a lot, and you can add inputs to give them parameters, and copy and paste em all over the place. Change one, and they all update.

Like for the pixel-art style of the car above I've got a group I called 'Bloxel' that takes care of creating a cube with a given texture at an integer position and with a given integer dimension, so I can use them to block out my car really simply without having to copy-paste Cube->Transform nodes all eveyhwere. I used that to block out a 'fence' and created a group called Fence. I've then created another group called FenceSet with a Length parameter to chain these together at intervals to create a group that I can use all over. Then I got a bunch of them in a Fences group that gives me a top level bunch of geometry I can turn on and off.

The node tree for my Arcade Adventures would be completely incomprehensible without grouping, but with it, even a blender noob would figure it out in a few mins. Parameterising stuff also makes it super easy to experiment!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Sagebrush posted:

that stuff in the lower left corner where it goes position - rotate - add - scale. is there a better way of doing multiple mathematical operations in sequence, or is that how you have to do it? grasshopper has a little "expression" component that is extremely nice when you have a bunch of operations to perform on a value. anything like this in blender?

select all the nodes, press ctrl-G to group them, press tab to toggle between editing the big node tree and editing the group

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

fart simpson posted:

i have basically run out of time. whole thing is nodes tho, even the film grain and halation is compositor nodes based on nose textures.

im gonna render out like 1000 of these with different random seeds tonight and pick out the good ones

this is sick!

Here's my entry, there's loads more I want to do with this, but I've spent way too long on it already.

Bonus

Node tree:

If anyone wants an explanation im happy to effort post.
Blend file here

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Sorry I'm late to the party, life happened.
Mountaineering Mission complete.

The mountain (The mountain range just separates the x coord out of the position data and plugs that into a combine xyz on the distance function) :

The mountain material:

And the clouds:

~tekeli-li~ ~tekeli-li~

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Nov 5, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

heres a few of my faves
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/766493581761970176/1170537823582040065/arcade_adventure3.mp4

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 5, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

this is sick!

Here's my entry, there's loads more I want to do with this, but I've spent way too long on it already.

Bonus

Node tree:

If anyone wants an explanation im happy to effort post.
Blend file here

the cars look great. good work op

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

very nice, appreciate the heart-shaped iris effect as well lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Arcade Adventure
https://i.imgur.com/DWmXUWQ.mp4
getting warmed up...

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Jenny Agutter posted:

Arcade Adventure
getting warmed up...

Extremely calming.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

starting to get the hang of this stuff. still couldn't figure some things out but i'm working on it!

i used the float curve node to make the dish in the top of the button.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 5, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Bluemillion posted:

Sorry I'm late to the party, life happened.
Mountaineering Mission complete.

The mountain (The mountain range just separates the x coord out of the position data and plugs that into a combine xyz on the distance function) :

The mountain material:

And the clouds:

~tekeli-li~ ~tekeli-li~

i like it, the framing and composition of the shot is really well done

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

Arcade Adventure
getting warmed up...

lol i was thinking of doing something similar instead of the game cabinet thing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Sagebrush posted:

starting to get the hang of this stuff. still couldn't figure some things out but i'm working on it!

nice! welcome to nodes

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

like this, nice lighting setup too

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bluemillion posted:

Extremely calming.

it's like a chill trapper keeper, i like it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

also while looking around for help i found this guy's stuff and i like it a lot. perfect for my level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szTYXk0t09A

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just spent an hour adding stuff to my L system node group. new commands, randomization, etc. its workin p good now, even better than before:

example showing gens 1 to 6:

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Ages ago I wrote a Processing script that did L-Systems, but I added a ton of weird operators and then also made it able to generate its own random production rules too. It was basically an infinite Autechre album cover generator. I had a go at doing it in Blender geonodes after you first posted about it but got stuck very quickly, it's really impressive you've been able to get it to a state like this. Looking forward to seeing it put to use this month.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
Lovely Lake (for red spider mites, spoilered for arachnophobes)

I've sort of given up with this one. It looks decent imho and with the mites mostly fits my idea of a mini-lake for tiny things, but I wasn't able to create a mud texture that looked good close up, or a pile of leaves that didn't have billions of clipping issues.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

toiletbrush posted:

I've sort of given up with this one. It looks decent imho and with the mites mostly fits my idea of a mini-lake for tiny things, but I wasn't able to create a mud texture that looked good close up, or a pile of leaves that didn't have billions of clipping issues.

very cute

FalseNegative
Jul 24, 2007

2>/dev/null
All of these are wonderful! I'm really trying to get back into the mood to do some. Maybe I'll get back to one tonight.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

toiletbrush posted:

looks great op. how did you do the selective thickening of the voronoi lines to make the leaf veins? and the wood texture?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

you may not like it but this is what peak UI looks like

https://twitter.com/Bbbn192/status/1721223865035014157

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lovely lake.

made 100% of the plants and grasses with my L systems geonode group, plus i made a library of basic leaf shapes with parameterized leaf and grass materials which allow me to very quickly put together new plants. its very cool. i will post more about my new plant system tomorrow