Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

now this is podcasting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1720182054694912177

Apparently it's Ric Flair day today.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Thanks, I hate it

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Bryan getting worked up at them not showing MJF actually picking the Acclaimed to go with is definitely proof of things going over his head.

The Acclaimed gave MJF their conditions for teaming and handed him the bag with the clothes. MJF said there was still one group left on his list and the Acclaimed left. Then the camera pans to Jarrett and his guys pretty much doing "One of us..." leading to MJF looking very unsure of this and then down at the bag of clothes and then back at Jarrett.

It wasn't exactly hard to see that Max was deciding that the Acclaimed was the better option.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Counter argument: Wrestling is primarily for folks who can't follow the story in a loony tune and AEW should book accordingly

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Moments like that make me realize why WWE shows are like 40% recaps of stuff that happened 2 minutes before, that's about as far as the average wrestling viewer's attention span goes apparently

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Dave is killing off the print edition of the observer because he can’t afford paper for that and also paper to shuffle around during podcasts and throw all over the floor

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
hell also be putting up news stories as they are written rather than all at once when the weeks newsletter goes up and will be doing less tv reports (bryan will handle those)

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

quote:

There will be a one week period, the issue that would normally be out on 12/15 and dated 12/18, where there will be no Observer Newsletter due to a vacation I am taking that week. Going forward I would expect issues 51 weeks a year as I would like to do one vacation annually.

loving bull poo poo. Dave's gone soft. Unsubscribinb

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

wait has this man not taken a vacation in years? Like since the observer started?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
he went on the Jericho cruise and became patient 0 for Covid

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Daves a wrestling machine but hes taken some small vacations, some that didn't even include wrestling at all.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Wanna read a wrestling observer where Dave just talks about his vacation and it still turns into a 3000 word aside about Don Muraco

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Dave took vacations but worked through them cause you can't stop Dave from talking wrestling

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
praying for a december newsletter that buries his loved ones poor vacation choices

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He wanted to go to Disneyland but well, uh, you know, plans change

doos
Jan 1, 2015

He should go to the beach. NOW!!!!!!

Genericide
Jan 20, 2004

I love that one Observer he wrote on the plane to Japan, the Story of Dave Meltzer. Genuinely nice.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Every year, someone major will die the week he takes a vacation.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

doos posted:

He should go to the beach. NOW!!!!!!
a while back he took his first family vacation in years and on the first day he phoned Bryan from the beach to hear if there was any news

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There was a streak of, like, four WOLs that Bryan missed over the span of three months in 2022 where Earth-shattering news happened. Dave Meltzer probably fears that if he takes a week off, Vince McMahon will die of autoerotic asphyxiation or something like that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Edward Mass posted:

Dave Meltzer probably fears that if he takes a week off, Vince McMahon will die of autoerotic asphyxiation or something like that.

Dave: Hey Bryan, I'm on vacation, did the wrestling world suffer any great loss while I've been gone.
Bryan: No.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Dave: Hey Bryan, I'm on vacation, did the wrestling world suffer any great loss while I've been gone.
Bryan: nnnnnnn...no. I didn't watch it. Oh, Vince McMahon died, why don't you take us through the underworld?

Edited for Bryan-speak

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

How did Bryan and Dave first partner up?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

The VoW hall of fame audio this year is really good.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shard posted:

Dave was a reader of Bryan's Figure Four Weekly newsletter and thought he was very funny and invited him to be his co-host when Wrestling Observer Live launched on eYada (an early internet only radio station) in the 1990s

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

fart blood posted:

Why are Bryan Alvarez and Dave Meltzer baffled so much by the booking of the ROH six man match on Dynamite? I didn’t watch the show because I no longer have cable but I read the results on the observer site and it looks very straightforward because Swerve and Hangman have a feud. I don’t get what was hard to follow here.
Already mostly covered, but they were 'baffled' at

1) Why the match did not get announced until a couple of hours before the show aired
2) Why the follow-up to Swerve's home invasion and Hangman running out of the arena in a panic last week was "well, here's the Hangman ready to have a match!"
3) Why Hangman was wrestling a crew of people allied with the home invaders like it was just a regular rear end match and not a blood feud
4) How Hangman got so distracted by the mere sight of Nana like "ohhhhh, yeah! I just remembered that I want to kill the manager of the guys I'm wrestling!"

And to a larger extent, what went on for the Elite to reunite, win these belts, not really do anything with them, lose them back to Mogul Embassy, and immediately start a Young Bucks heel turn/Elite break-up.

Bryan definitely completely misses some things once in awhile, but I also feel like people either listen to short clips or have something relayed secondhand so "I am baffled at why they would do this" gets turned into "I am baffled, what happened, who are these wrestlers, where am I???"

Even the MJF teaming with the Acclaimed thing, his complaint was

Last week: MJF happily agrees to team with Samoa Joe, shakes on it, says he would rather light himself on fire than team with the Acclaimed, he'll never team with the Acclaimed
This week: MJF decides maybe he's not going to team with Samoa Joe after all because __________, reiterates again that he definitely, definitely, definitely will not pick the Acclaimed, and then picks the Acclaimed.

The obvious thing Dynamite was telling you is "he had to team with the Acclaimed, there were no other options" except... it was also showing you that there WERE other options and Max voluntarily rejected most of them?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, him being deadset against the Acclaimed to the point that the Kingdom are his only alternative seemed like the obvious ending.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Shard posted:

They tell the story after the first question in the London Q&A.

Bryan had a hotline and after it went down he faxed Dave and asked to work for his hotline. Dave started his show in 1998 and did one episode talking alone and immediately realized that he needed a co-host and called Bryan to help him. They didn't really know each other at that point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

yea ok posted:

Too Many Johns

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gaz-L posted:

Hell, him being deadset against the Acclaimed to the point that the Kingdom are his only alternative seemed like the obvious ending.

I was expecting to see mjf run through all the stables, either being turned down or turning them down

House of black just stares him down, planet Jarrett was perfect, callis family gives him the douchechills, best friends just stare and then walk away...

If they are gonna do an all show story, do it. I wanted to see another Samoa Joe and max encounter. It would have been fun seeing the butcher and the blade and kip try to offer and be turned down, or a lance archer moment of showing up and saying only if he gets a title shot, only for max to make some joke about how he already has a guy like that

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1720855042344050760

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Kennel posted:

They tell the story after the first question in the London Q&A.

Bryan had a hotline and after it went down he faxed Dave and asked to work for his hotline. Dave started his show in 1998 and did one episode talking alone and immediately realized that he needed a co-host and called Bryan to help him. They didn't really know each other at that point.

I'm actually curious about a bit of Davelore and this seems the best place to ask. I know F4W and WON used to be independent (competitors?) and now it's one thing but how exactly did that merger look? Like was it presented as a 50 50 merger, did Dave just put F4W on the letterhead when Bryan started doing the hotline, or some secret third thing? Was there a ritual combat is my question really.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

yea ok posted:

Definitely!

I started listening to the non-wrestler category one with Sepervive but then I had to go to work. Previous ones have all been great so I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of this episode.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

duckdealer posted:

Definitely!

I started listening to the non-wrestler category one with Sepervive but then I had to go to work. Previous ones have all been great so I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of this episode.

Just finished that one up earlier, and it's really good. 2.5 hours of Semp audio, good?? That's right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm actually curious about a bit of Davelore and this seems the best place to ask. I know F4W and WON used to be independent (competitors?) and now it's one thing but how exactly did that merger look? Like was it presented as a 50 50 merger, did Dave just put F4W on the letterhead when Bryan started doing the hotline, or some secret third thing? Was there a ritual combat is my question really.

In 2008 they basically just closed the old wrestler observer website, moved the WOL and WOR archive to f4w, and started running the digital version of the observer on f4w for the first time. Before then the observer was only available by print or email.