Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

bagmonkey posted:

contemplating what prison hobby to take up

incredibly strong neanderthal brow energy in this sketch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

ymgve posted:

The type of hashing in Bitcoin is specific enough that there might be some trick (not preimage attack, not collision attack) that is only applicable to Bitcoin.
This is a preimage attack even if it doesn't find a preimage for the entire thing. NONE of the bits of a SHA-256 digest are supposed to be easier to compute than brute force, finding a way to get 38 of them to all be 0 reliably would be a huge deal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

incredibly strong neanderthal brow energy in this sketch

Seriously, they make his skull look stretched.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, they make his skull look stretched.

a diet of nothing but shrimp and salt will do that to you

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Big rear end On Fire posted:

Is that different than the LBC? I have a basic understanding of this crap only.

https://lbc.cryptoguru.org/about

Also Wired has an article behind a paywall saying the crypto community is celebrating SBF's conviction, saying the fraud was a dark spot on crypto they are eager to move past and I'm wondering how the giant list of previous frauds/pulls/'we were hacked' doesn't count.

For some reason I don't fully understand these wallets they're trying to brute force have a total space of "only" 2^160.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Just so y'all know I actually have the trick to breaking SHA256 but I haven't used it because I'm nice. If anyone wants to pay me like a hundred thousand dollars I can share it. Money up front tho.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Actually I thought about it more, and I guess the LBC found wallets aren't actually collisions in the wikipedia sense, because although the LBC team knows that their input A will hash to your wallet X, they don't know what input you used to generate wallet X. I think to be a known collisions you have to know both inputs that generate the same output.

edit: I mean in the sense of "why wouldn't that be on wikipedia's list of hash functions that have known collisions" not "somehow bitcoin doesn't suck".

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

He looks Benny, the caveman guy from the I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream video game.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

He looks Benny, the caveman guy from the I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream video game.

I am so extremely proud of you because that is EXACTLY what I thought but didn't think anyone would get the reference

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 4, 2023

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Wait, you're telling me a bankman fried this Sam?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I am so extremely proud of you because that is EXACTLY what I thought but didn't think anyone would get the reference

Take a look around, friend. I'd be surprised if fewer than 40% of goons got this reference.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

Salt Fish posted:

For some reason I don't fully understand these wallets they're trying to brute force have a total space of "only" 2^160.

A Bitcoin address isn't the entire public key https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2mh4be/eli5_why_does_bitcoin_have_2160_possible/

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I wonder what is going to happen to the rest of the execs that pled guilty. They can't really go back to finance and I don't' know what technical fields will except them. I mean Ellison can always go back to the Feywild but the rest seem to have few options.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's not the difficulty, it's that it gives out half the rewards for solving the difficult math question. Somehow people envision this would increase value, but it doesn't work that way anyway.

There is no "difficult math question". It's guessing a random number. Whoever first submits the correct guess wins.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Sam Bankman-Incarcerated

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

...! posted:

There is no "difficult math question". It's guessing a random number. Whoever first submits the correct guess wins.

You can trust this guy on it, he's Satoshi "Craig "Satoshi" Wright" Nakamoto.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
i'm actually satoshi nakamoto

Quotey fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 4, 2023

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Quotey posted:

we know

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Quotey posted:

nice sockpuppet account, craig

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
How in the gently caress does someone spend EIGHT BILLION DOLLARS?

WTF

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I have no shrimp and I must eat

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

tango alpha delta posted:

WTF

Give me eight billion dollars and I’ll show you

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
elon did that 5½ times

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

WTF
A Ponzi scheme that invests in other Ponzi schemes.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Before you invest, you ask the other guy "Are you a Ponzi scheme?".

Legally they have to say if they are!

Reassured by a No, you can safely hand all your money over to that guy somehow guaranteeing you 20% interest.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

elon did that 5½ times

yep, at about the same speed as Sam, considering that some valuations put it at $8B value left.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Squiggle posted:

drat, shrinking down pastels gives it a real mid-90s adventure game cutscene feel

He looks like he's about to lose two rounds to M Bison.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

He looks like he's about to lose two rounds to M Bison.

Bankrog's ShrimpCrime Punch is countered hard by M Sassoon

(edit, fixed)

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 4, 2023

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

WTF

He didn’t spend eight billion, he invested eight billion in shibedogetesla meme coins just as the whole cryptocurrency market collapsed

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

SBF will hang this on his prison cell wall

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Squiggle posted:

drat, shrinking down pastels gives it a real mid-90s adventure game cutscene feel

This is Hulk's son from She-Hulk.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's one of the dudes from Jersey Shore

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

kw0134 posted:

to hedge his political bets.

He may literally be the worst bet hedger in history.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

WTF

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

probably bad RNG in an early version of the client or some web service that people were generating pairs from, remember "brainwallets" and how many people got burned when someone guessed their Ayn Rand quotes

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Someone pointed out a few pages ago that bitcoin uses both sha-256 and ripemd-160, so you end up with the lower of the two spaces to search through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
advertising is a bottomless pit, a black hole of spending marks' money. LOL