Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Invalido posted:

F1 cars are sort of engineering magic. Their electric motors are limited to a minimum weight of 15 lbs and a maximum output of 120kW. Surely insanely expensive too.

I'm not an F1 guy but my understanding is the electric motors are used to help keep a turbo spinning and don't actually drive the car

TheBacon posted:

Japan just doesn’t like electric for whatever reason, cars as well. Honda had an EV city car for europe and outside that and 20 year old demo Rav4s, they don’t make EVs

Because their government committed to a top-down policy of going all in on hydrogen, thinking they would be the hydrogen tech centre of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I'm not an F1 guy but my understanding is the electric motors are used to help keep a turbo spinning and don't actually drive the car

It’s both. There is a motor/generator on the turbo shaft that the driver can actuate to alleviate turbo lag, and another attached to the crankshaft that can act as a sort of hybrid system.

Both of these charge a lithium ion battery pack when not in use and then tap it for power when requested.

https://motorsportexplained.com/formula-1-ers-explained/

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

It’s both. There is a motor/generator on the turbo shaft that the driver can actuate to alleviate turbo lag, and another attached to the crankshaft that can act as a sort of hybrid system.

Both of these charge a lithium ion battery pack when not in use and then tap it for power when requested.

https://motorsportexplained.com/formula-1-ers-explained/

Interesting. It notes that the motor on the turbo will be discontinued because of horrific cost.

Wrt bikes I can't see how you can make the parts light and small enough while still have them give enough benefit that they're worthwhile at all vs just making the engine a bit bigger. I can see it working on dadv's and oldwings where a few extra pounds doesn't really matter but a little electric boost here and there would give a big quality of life difference. I can't imagine anything remotely sporty benefiting at all, naturally that won't stop them from trying.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
if you're considering a hybrid consider a klr.
cheap
reliable
ridable
put a 10 gal tank on it and it has insane range
walk mode by feathering the clutch
hybrid system that burns gas and oil
perfectly silent when the kill switch is off
free milk crate panniers.

(lots of sarcasm, like holy poo poo)

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

you forgot "weighs at least a hundred pounds more than it should"

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I’ve been thinking of getting something different after riding my MT03 for a couple years. Previously I was pretty set on getting a small dual sport like a KLX300 or a CRF300L and getting more gravel/dirt time, but when I think about how I would need to get to some of those dirt roads (mostly double track and unpaved car sized roads), it would require getting on pavement or highway and riding there at 60-80mph.

This pretty much means that I’m target demo for a mid sized adventure bike right? T7 or a Tuareg or a used Africa twin (I know AT is a bit bigger than mid).

Other considerations have been something rowdy like a hypermotard or a husky 701, but there are not that many fun twisty roads close by. I guess I could stick a windscreen on the hyper if I wanted to do any significant slab riding/sport tour. A more boring choice would be like a CB500X.

Anything I’m forgetting?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Dr650

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
That reminds me, last time I was at my trails spot in the Tillamook State Forest, some boomer rolled up on a Duke 1090 Dadventure. Looked oversized and a little wobbly.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Welp, I now have a 2007 CBR600RR. I wasn’t really planning on buying anything until next year, but just how the timing worked out. Fellow goon NeuralSpark bought it about a year ago for track (from a guy who decided he was too old for this poo poo), has since moved on to a Panigale :rip:

It’s not street legal, and I’m just going to leave it like that. It has an Öhlins NIX30 cartridge and TTX shock. It’s otherwise stock besides the fairing, clip-ons, and rear sets.

I am going to put my CB300R up for sale I think, even though I just dumped like $1,500 into it :smith: I am hoping to get between 2-3k for it.

That said, I’m about 99% sure I want a dual sport. I would probably put 17s on it for street riding, but I do plan to take it to the OHV parks on either DOT or full knobbies (trailering it there obviously).

Part of me wants something like a CRF450L or EXC-F 500, but these are very maintenance intense and maybe more than I really need or can possibly even handle? Not on the street but the dirt. I actually don't do a ton of mileage, so the maintenance intervals aren't necessarily a deal breaker, just annoying. Another option is something like a CRF300L, but seems slightly boring, and I'd have to dump ~2k into the suspension there as well. Maybe a DRZ or WR250R instead? Also not opposed to XR/DR 650. I'm not buying any time soon, but just trying to get some ideas so I can start looking into exactly what I want.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

As I was typing my post I thought to myself "I know slavvy is going to say DR650".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

o7

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Russian Bear posted:

I’ve been thinking of getting something different after riding my MT03 for a couple years. Previously I was pretty set on getting a small dual sport like a KLX300 or a CRF300L and getting more gravel/dirt time, but when I think about how I would need to get to some of those dirt roads (mostly double track and unpaved car sized roads), it would require getting on pavement or highway and riding there at 60-80mph.

This pretty much means that I’m target demo for a mid sized adventure bike right? T7 or a Tuareg or a used Africa twin (I know AT is a bit bigger than mid).

Other considerations have been something rowdy like a hypermotard or a husky 701, but there are not that many fun twisty roads close by. I guess I could stick a windscreen on the hyper if I wanted to do any significant slab riding/sport tour. A more boring choice would be like a CB500X.

Anything I’m forgetting?

You can ride a supermoto in the gravel/dirt too and it will be more fun in town. Plus, you can also get a sumo and get two wheelsets and voila! Street bike and dirt bike!

Toe Rag posted:

Welp, I now have a 2007 CBR600RR. I wasn’t really planning on buying anything until next year, but just how the timing worked out. Fellow goon NeuralSpark bought it about a year ago for track (from a guy who decided he was too old for this poo poo), has since moved on to a Panigale :rip:

It’s not street legal, and I’m just going to leave it like that. It has an Öhlins NIX30 cartridge and TTX shock. It’s otherwise stock besides the fairing, clip-ons, and rear sets.

I am going to put my CB300R up for sale I think, even though I just dumped like $1,500 into it :smith: I am hoping to get between 2-3k for it.

That said, I’m about 99% sure I want a dual sport. I would probably put 17s on it for street riding, but I do plan to take it to the OHV parks on either DOT or full knobbies (trailering it there obviously).

Part of me wants something like a CRF450L or EXC-F 500, but these are very maintenance intense and maybe more than I really need or can possibly even handle? Not on the street but the dirt. I actually don't do a ton of mileage, so the maintenance intervals aren't necessarily a deal breaker, just annoying. Another option is something like a CRF300L, but seems slightly boring, and I'd have to dump ~2k into the suspension there as well. Maybe a DRZ or WR250R instead? Also not opposed to XR/DR 650. I'm not buying any time soon, but just trying to get some ideas so I can start looking into exactly what I want.

Consider a KTM 250 or 350 as well or a two stroke if you want to do just woods riding. The 250/350 will do OK at faster speeds but the two strokes gearing will be bad for riding on the road. Also consider wr250f unless you need a plate. On dirt, heavy is bad and there's a huge difference between riding a dr650 on a fire road (delightful and good) vs. riding it through a rock garden (difficult and mostly suffering). At the same time, if you want to ride around town or on a highway you're not going to want to flog a 250 there (350 might be OK but you'll need to be good about balancing the wheels and the good knobbies aren't DOT legal so will burn off rapidly on the highway at any speed). Consider a tw200 as well if it fits the profile of what you're looking for.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Me riding a 520exc on the road: what a wonderful little machine, so flighty and whimsical

Me riding a 520exc on a trail: *touches throttle, dies immediately*

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

builds character posted:

Consider a KTM 250 or 350 as well or a two stroke if you want to do just woods riding. The 250/350 will do OK at faster speeds but the two strokes gearing will be bad for riding on the road. Also consider wr250f unless you need a plate. On dirt, heavy is bad and there's a huge difference between riding a dr650 on a fire road (delightful and good) vs. riding it through a rock garden (difficult and mostly suffering). At the same time, if you want to ride around town or on a highway you're not going to want to flog a 250 there (350 might be OK but you'll need to be good about balancing the wheels and the good knobbies aren't DOT legal so will burn off rapidly on the highway at any speed). Consider a tw200 as well if it fits the profile of what you're looking for.

Yeah in my mind I was targeting 300lbs or less. The XR/DR 650s are both a little heavier than I would like, which is why they're not my first choice. I am leaning towards something that's street legal, but maybe if no one wants to buy my CB300R then I can just go dirt bike only :hehe: I haven't really ridden a dirt bike in over 20 years :corsair: I was never very good at it as a kid anyway. :o:

Slavvy posted:

Me riding a 520exc on the road: what a wonderful little machine, so flighty and whimsical

This is exactly my fear.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

This is 100% accurate. A friend's husband has a 520 that he's wrung as much hp out of as he can (which seems excessive but I get it) and it was fun to ride around in the suburbs and I took it on a little dirt path and the rear tire just kind of slid out because when I hit the throttle it couldn't hook up.

Toe Rag posted:

Yeah in my mind I was targeting 300lbs or less. The XR/DR 650s are both a little heavier than I would like, which is why they're not my first choice. I am leaning towards something that's street legal, but maybe if no one wants to buy my CB300R then I can just go dirt bike only :hehe: I haven't really ridden a dirt bike in over 20 years :corsair: I was never very good at it as a kid anyway. :o:

This is exactly my fear.

But... the 500 is a lot less angry. You can lug it around and the 350 is even less so because you have to really rev to get into the power band. I had a 450 which is very marginally more high strung than the 500s and thought it benefited a TON from some small mods/power commander thing - made it much less likely to stall down low and better.

Anyway, as a first dirt bike again I really would suggest spending some time on something like a TTR or tw200 so that you can get something cheap and just have fun with it and decide if you want a dirt bike at all. Then you can decide whether or not to spend 10k on a new dirt bike. TW200 is also street legal....

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:discourse:

Before I picked up this 600 I actually was, vaguely, planning on getting a TTR. But if I sell my CB300R then I'd have two (and only two) non street legal motorcycles which feels silly to me. Depending on my selling experience, I may just keep the 300 and pick up a TTR as well. I just have limited space for bikes and don't want to get too out of control, or draw the landlord's attention (they could easily charge 3x what they are charging me for the spot). That's what's appealing of a dual sport with dual wheel set, basically two bikes in one.

Shuka
Dec 19, 2000
All the KLR comments positive and negative are true.

Going from a 700lb cruiser I could lift comfortably to a 800lb KLR that requires 110% max power to lift challenged some deeply held beliefs.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're so versatile! They're good at getting stuck in mud, stuck on the rocks, stuck down a bank...

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.
Tell me what bike to buy: "OVERPOWERED EDITION"

I'm in the market for something bonkers. I'm not throwing a fat cam in my 1998 Superglide, as someone suggested I do since I wanted something with a bit more 'oomph.'

Instead, I'm just going to buy a bike that can haul rear end while being decently comfy or able to be made more comfy or more powerful. Hypertourers and overpowered muscle bikes. I want stupid acceleration in any gear. The list below is sort of what I'm going for, but its based off of bikes that I know and love (and have ridden).

Yamaha VMax (2000 and up, or any Gen2)
Suzuki B-King
Suzuki Hayabusa (Gen2 with ABS and up)
ZX-14R (2011 and up)
CBR1100XX Blackbird (2001 and up)
Bandit 1250
ZRX1200
K1300S

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 7, 2023

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bandit 1250 should definitely be on the list

These all seem fuel injected, so I’m guessing carbs are a no?

Did the ZX12R ever come with FI

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

There's one for sale near me :stwoon:
One day

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Diavel.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the Diavel isn't exactly a torque monster compared to the other bikes in that list but they are fun to ride

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008
Triumph Rocket 3

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Cataffy posted:

Triumph Rocket 3

:emptyquote:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Ninja H2 SX SE

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imo the blackbird is heavily overrated and not very fun to ride, it does what it says on paper but in the most boring way possible

The zx14 is just a truck, but some people like that I guess

In both cases you can get something better by just putting bar risers on a literbike

I'd suggest ZRX1200, the most recent multistrada twin, gsx1400 if you can get one, vfr1200 if you can get one

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

CB1300(S)?

XJR1300 ?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

knox_harrington posted:

CB1300(S)?

XJR1300 ?

Xj1300 is really pretty slow

I forgot about the cb1300, they rule and are amazingly fast and sporty for what they are

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Xj1300 is really pretty slow

I forgot about the cb1300, they rule and are amazingly fast and sporty for what they are

From what I remember, they're fast but the power delivery is so linear, you don't really get a sense if it. Yeah you can go any speed in any gear, but the CB1000R felt more aggressive.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The stock cb1000 is borderline unrideable imo, the gearing is far too short which sounds fun but really means it isn't cause you're just changing gear constantly and it feels like several ratios are redundant. It also has a baffling stock suspension wherein the rear spring is ridiculously heavy while the front is extremely soft and long-travel. This on a bike with a considerably shorter wheelbase than a goddamn superduke 950 lmao

I know this because a good friend has one and turning it into something actually fast, the potential for which is definitely there, has been a long term project

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Risers on a liter bike sounds fun and all but meh. I owned an 1198, and a CBR1000F. I preferred the Hurricane every time over the Ducati 😂. I’m done with the super rear set lower controls riding.

Sucks the GSX1400 and CB1300 are not available stateside. I def want this bike to have BIG DISPLACEMENT if possible. Haha someone elsewhere suggested a BOSS HOSS.

B-King would be optimal I think. They’re so cool. It’s what I will probably look hardest for. I would settle for a BIG AF Bandit or nicely kept 1100XX. No Ducati fancy schmancy pants Aprliliablahlblah brands either. BMW is pushing it.

Very sad to hear that the Blackbird is a stud in the numbers but vanilla somehow. But perhaps a really GOOD vanilla? I figured it would be like my 1000F. A nice comfy bike that does great pulls, the quintessential sport/hyper tourer that was responsible for the Hayabusa getting made.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The thing is, the busa is the only bike in that category that actually is and feels like a jumbo sport bike. The others mimic the look closely but are just rocket trucks in fancy clothes.

The zx14 is big and brash but also long like a locomotive and doesn't really do corners happily, you're always thinking 'this handles pretty decent for something so big and clunky' instead of 'this handles really good!' like you do with a busa. And when you see them with their clothes off it's immediately apparent why that difference is there; it's clear that philosophically, Suzuki chose to make a giant sport (it looks like a gsxr1000 enlarged by 20%) bike while Kawasaki chose to make a really fast touring bike with some bling cycle parts.

The blackbird is similarly mediocre while also being a non-presence to ride, it doesn't shout about anything or have any character at all beyond just being kinda fast, so the quintessential boring Honda that does exactly what it says on the box with zero fuss or fanfare, some people like that.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I see more fat people on Blackbirds than any other non-Harley bike. Why is that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All the pub bragging rights without any of the discomfort.

Over here it's extremely common to see literbikes with risers, lowered pegs and top boxes for the same reason. You get to tell your middle aged mates that your bike can do 300 while riding around extremely slowly. The zx14 is basically a factory built product for this demographic.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

knox_harrington posted:

I see more fat people on Blackbirds than any other non-Harley bike. Why is that?

Even if you weigh 350lbs it still accelerates like a 600 sportbike

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

I’m the filthy sub demographic of overpowered machine devotees that weighs 135lbs and actually rips on it up to 150mph on the regular. In full gear of course. The ZX14 is at the bottom of my list for sure.

The ZRX1200 is the only big naked bike stateside avail that isn’t some fiddly diddly brand for my area. It makes the list.

Endbuster fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 6, 2023

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Endbuster posted:

I’m the filthy sub demographic of overpowered machine devotees that weighs 135 and actually rips on it up to 245kmh on the regular. In full gear of course. The ZX14 is at the bottom of my list for sure.

The ZRX1200 is the only big naked bike stateside avail that isn’t some fiddly diddly brand for my area. It makes the list.

Lbs or kg?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Endbuster posted:

I’m the filthy sub demographic of overpowered machine devotees that weighs 135 and actually rips on it up to 245kmh on the regular. In full gear of course. The ZX14 is at the bottom of my list for sure.

:chloe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

Oops. Mixed metric and standard. I fixed.