Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Here we go, Kindle is live, Audible is not.

The plan is to read as far as I can until Audible becomes available, then switch to that. Once done, again from the beginning on Audible.

Here we loving go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah this is good stuff. More human factions would do so much for the setting, from the official core being interesting to fan-content and OC stuff for TTRPGs and such having way more liberty to create different stories. It would also open up the possibility of a primarch returning and choosing to not rejoin the imperium, which I think would be neat.

It would also give GW a route to bring back one of the themes of the Rogue Trader setting, where much of the Imperium is a Wild West frontier setting where the authorities show up every few decades to arrest and shoot miscreants, collect tithes and generally annoy everyone, but then they gently caress off again, rather than being a constant smothering oppression blanket. We know how much GW love to mine their own history for inspiration and this could be a neat little way to reinvent something old as something new.

D-Pad posted:

Well the lore has moved to the point that guilliman is just about to cross over so once that happens I expect we will get quite a few books set over there.

The dumbest thing that could happen is to have the awoken Primarchs bulldoze their way right through Nihilus, kill all the heretics and restore the pre-rift status quo. Have them establish and reinforce little enclaves of Imperial holdouts that every loyalist 40k player can project their own armies into if they wish, but the idea of restoring the whole galaxy under Terran rule should be a lost cause.

(Though, that doesn't mean that Terra will accept it as such, and continuing to pour waves of military resources into the waiting mouths of chaos and xenos opposition long after they should have accepted the inevitable would be very in character).

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I think I'm going to take your advice and peace out on this thread until half a month from now which is when my next audible credit drops. Audiobooks really have become my preferred method of consuming 40k literature.

Yeah similar, only I'm saving my listen for a boring work trip in a few weeks.

See you on the other side thread, enjoy.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Bah Gawd, that's the Pantheon's music! They're all coming out and getting in the ring with Horus! Here comes Sanguinius and he's got a steel chair :vince:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Part 2 is 741 pages.

It was meant to be a single book.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
It is a single book. The first section of Volume II is Part 5. The End and the Death is a world unto itself, free of the constraints of material reality, unbound by such quaint concerns as "page count."

Soon The End And The Death will expand to encompass all of Black Library's publications, and not long after that, all publications. The unsuspecting reader will be reading about Space Marines murdering each other and suddenly they'll find themselves sailing across the ocean with Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin. They'll drop anchor and see not the docks of 1810s London but the lights of 1930s New York, and turn up their collars against the cold wind as they wander into the dark streets of detective noir.

The future is now and the now is forever.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It’s really the best

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I just hope Vol 3 doesn't have the final climax occur in the very last few pages of the book, as he is wont to do. It was particularly crazy how rapidly Traitor General ended.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
I’m about 10% in to End and the Death Vol 2 and Sanguinious is so cool. I hope he wins and gets a happy ending here

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

FPyat posted:

I just hope Vol 3 doesn't have the final climax occur in the very last few pages of the book, as he is wont to do. It was particularly crazy how rapidly Traitor General ended.

I think it is a little unfair to talk about “typical Abnett rushed ending” when the final book is the length of 6 books and split in 3 volumes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Problem : abnett is bad at endings

Solution: never end the book

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Grilled Beef posted:

I’m about 10% in to End and the Death Vol 2 and Sanguinious is so cool. I hope he wins and gets a happy ending here

He's on the cover of the book, he's basically the protagonist, nothing bad is going to happen to him :unsmith:

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Grilled Beef posted:

I think it is a little unfair to talk about “typical Abnett rushed ending” when the final book is the length of 6 books and split in 3 volumes

I don’t think he’ll rush the big final events everyone knows will happen, I’m just worried it won’t dedicate the pagecount afterwards to the epilogue chapters that a saga this long deserves/needs.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
book good, took me about 3ish hours to get through.

HEAVY SPOILERS

Mostly just characters, not specific plot points.

Rushed the first read through to be honest but it was good. It was fun. First impressions:

Seeing Ahriman was awesome

Didn't quite get the Samus stuff apart from Loken running from him symbolizing humanity trying to outrun its fate

God-Emperor the God Emperor version was pretty cool. the description of the custodes being used and than burnt out was loving awesome. The sphere with his guardians was cool to see. His focus was cool

Malcador melting on the throne RIP

I have not minded John and Oll to this point very much but having them so injected into the climax of the setting feels awkward and weird. The scene between Oll and the Emperor was....ok. I quite like the dressing down and enjoyed how big E is painted as an arrogant, impatient boy.

Having Loken injected into the final showdown also feels very contrived and mary-sue ish. Did not enjoy that whole situation.

I enjoy Constantine having like 7 chapters in this book and like approx 30 seconds of time pass? Felt like the dropped the spear angle after opening really hard with it but I think they do a great job getting inside his head

I thought the Dorn stuff was going to drag and I actually really enjoyed the characterization and such.

Erebus and Enuncia cool, gotta re-read that section, but he is being set up to be quite the badass.

Where is Talos, the Night Lords raptor is meh.

The whole Ferrus/Angel scene was out of like left field for me. I quite like the discussion and how it really underlines that the warp and reality are bleeding together but some of the dialogue could have been......better? And we could have used someone who mattered more than Ferrus perhaps? but its a nice nod to him.

The Fo genevirus situation and pretty much all the interactions between the selenar and the custode I felt like could have been done better. I'm curios as to who Fo was in the past, he seems very familiar with Malcador and he too used to rule a realm. I wonder if he himself is a perpetual who said no. It was alot of like OMG LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING!?!? people wont like this!?!?wow you arent doing what you said?!?! and than very, very contrived ~ tricking~ of the custode really didn't do it for me.

Dark Angel chapters were nice little breaks from the action

Obviously need to sit down and re-read it through and let it breath

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
I believe Fo will become Belisarius Cawl

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Waroduce posted:

I'm curios as to who Fo was in the past, he seems very familiar with Malcador and he too used to rule a realm. I wonder if he himself is a perpetual who said no.

At no point is there any indication that Fo has ever met or interacted with Malcador personally at all. He knows who Malcador is and what he is about, but at no point does he express anything that could construed as familiarity. When he starts reading Malcador's journals, Fo starts piecing together what he is like, and states that he likes the Sigillite.

Fo's "realm" was described in the short story Misbegotten by the way, although "playground" would perhaps be a better description.

Also, everyone else, book good, do not rush it.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ok stopping reading the thread here. Will be back after I finish it

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Waroduce posted:

book good, took me about 3ish hours to get through.

Obviously need to sit down and re-read it through and let it breath

How tf are you finishing 700+ pages in 3 hours? Are you just skimming? I read pretty fast and 3 hours hasn't even gotten me to halfway.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I started at 12 and went to bed at like 3:45 so it was closer to 4 tbh

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.audible.com/pd/The-End-...2b-8c8dceb62f2c

its up

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

One day I'm gonna just listen to the whole thing after part 3 comes out.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

It is a single book. The first section of Volume II is Part 5. The End and the Death is a world unto itself, free of the constraints of material reality, unbound by such quaint concerns as "page count."

Soon The End And The Death will expand to encompass all of Black Library's publications, and not long after that, all publications. The unsuspecting reader will be reading about Space Marines murdering each other and suddenly they'll find themselves sailing across the ocean with Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin. They'll drop anchor and see not the docks of 1810s London but the lights of 1930s New York, and turn up their collars against the cold wind as they wander into the dark streets of detective noir.

The future is now and the now is forever.

In writing this Abnett is seeking elevation to the ranks of Tolkien-hood.

I'll see your Lord of the Rings and raise you The End and the Death.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Book good.

Last chapter phenomenal. Last sentence epic.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

Z the IVth posted:

In writing this Abnett is seeking elevation to the ranks of Tolkien-hood.

I'll see your Lord of the Rings and raise you The End and the Death.

Perhaps he could even become known as the "British Tolkien" :thunk:

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

serious gaylord posted:

Book good.

Last chapter phenomenal. Last sentence epic.

Its a more abrupt ending than the first one lol

Here is a more honest review. Spoilered but I won't be talking about plot much.

There's a lot of fat that could be trimmed here. I lost count of how many scenes there were of characters figuring out that space didn't work anymore. But if anyone's earned the right to pile a whole cow on after going whole hog, it's Abnett here and now.

It's difficult to review something that's so evidently a middle portion of a larger story. The character work and mood were fun but there's nothing as spectacular as the throne scene from book one to make you cheer and say this is what the grimdark excess is all about.

I hope the rumors of a quick turnaround for part 3 are true. I want my ending.

OPAONI fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 5, 2023

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Man Maximus Thane old af if he fights in the Great Crusade, Heresy, Siege, War of the Beast, and The Beheading.

Or is this a “same name different guy” situation?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

So apparently Fehrvari put quotes on the signature pages of all his Dark Coil Limited Editions, but not the same one. This reddit thread is attempting to start cataloging them and they are, as expected, rad:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Blacklibrary/comments/17nd83g/get_it_in_one_place_the_dark_coil_quotes_i_want/

Another redditor claims to have talked to him about it and received this explanation:

quote:

I spent a very long time over the signing sheets. I made a vow long ago that if my stories ever appeared in a limited edition I'd try to do it justice on signature sheets, so it was finally time to deliver on that. I see it as a way of saying a personal thank you to each reader who has spent serious money buying a set. I also felt it was in the spirit of the Coil for the sheets to play a meta game of their own, with some of them weaving into a connected puzzle that will likely never be solved. I'll post about this on Reddit at some point, once I have some breathing space, but I created a spreadsheet to organise the inscriptions, with different levels of rarity. These range from 100 sheets with a signature only, through Common, Uncommon, Rare and Unique inscriptions, along with nineteen highly elaborate 'Aphelion Incantations'. It's insane, but that's the nature of this journey, as the intro will explain. Naturally, as a gamer, I colour the rarities on my spreadsheet from 'White' through to 'Purple' (no Gold).

https://www.reddit.com/r/Blacklibrary/comments/17nir02/dark_coil_collection_a_word_from_the_author_about/

I haven't opened mine yet to see what I got but curious if any other goons picked this up and what quote they got.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

drat that's rad. I want more Dark Coil, I want to read more about Cszervantes and the hosed up Angels Penitent.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

D-Pad posted:

So apparently Fehrvari put quotes on the signature pages of all his Dark Coil Limited Editions, but not the same one. This reddit thread is attempting to start cataloging them and they are, as expected, rad:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Blacklibrary/comments/17nd83g/get_it_in_one_place_the_dark_coil_quotes_i_want/

Another redditor claims to have talked to him about it and received this explanation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Blacklibrary/comments/17nir02/dark_coil_collection_a_word_from_the_author_about/

I haven't opened mine yet to see what I got but curious if any other goons picked this up and what quote they got.

id love it on audible. maybe someday.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OPAONI posted:

Its a more abrupt ending than the first one lol

Here is a more honest review. Spoilered but I won't be talking about plot much.

There's a lot of fat that could be trimmed here. I lost count of how many scenes there were of characters figuring out that space didn't work anymore. But if anyone's earned the right to pile a whole cow on after going whole hog, it's Abnett here and now.

It's difficult to review something that's so evidently a middle portion of a larger story. The character work and mood were fun but there's nothing as spectacular as the throne scene from book one to make you cheer and say this is what the grimdark excess is all about.

I hope the rumors of a quick turnaround for part 3 are true. I want my ending.

I agree with all of this. I would say the book could easily lose 300 pages and not materially be affected.

I enjoyed reading it though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm through 300 pages so far and I cannot believe there's 300 more. At least it rules.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/11/05/sunday-preview-christmas-army-boxes-are-the-best-presents-around/

You want some new books? Of course ya do!

But not much this weekend.

There's the reprint of Graham McNeill's Storm of Iron in paperback.

Then there's the paperback version of Darius Hink's Leviathan.

Finally a pair of older books are getting the audio treatment with William King's Ragnar's Claw and Dan Abnett and Mike Lee's The Daemon’s Curse.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Incredibly hyped about this

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm through 300 pages so far and I cannot believe there's 300 more. At least it rules.

471 more actually

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Okay folks. I've been sleeping on the siege cause I burned out on the heresy a while back. My plan was always to get back into it once Horus reached Terra, but I got lazy. I've got through the important pre-siege books.

Are any of the Siege books skippable, or are they all important?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I read them in the order of Saturnine - Warhawk - Echoes of Eternity - Mortis - Solar War - Lost and the Damned - End and the Death. This is probably not ideal for understanding what's going on :v:

Almost everyone had a negative opinion of The First Wall, and Gav Thorpe is universally known to be a Bad Writer, so I skipped it. Lots of people also say to skip Mortis and I can't argue with that, it's not a good book, extremely disappointing given the material it's supposed to cover.

Solar War is decent, it's kind of the same thing over and over but it does a good job of portraying the enormity of a void engagement over the scale of a star system, when most examples in 40K fiction compress the battle into a tiny volume of space.

Lost and the Damned is decent, it has a few good scenes and a number of :geno: scenes because it's Guy Haley and that's how he is, always. He can't write the primarchs worth a flip, ever.

Saturnine is superb. Unlike Guy Haley, Abnett can write the primarchs well.

Mortis is just disappointing. There's a few neat scenes but overall it's a slog and it's such wasted potential. After reading Fall of Cadia I can't help but think what Mortis could have been if Robert Rath had written it.

Warhawk is solid entertainment. Some people consider Chris Wraight up there with Abnett and ADB, my opinion of him isn't that high but this is definitely worth reading.

Echoes of Eternity is great.

The End and the Death is :psyboom: in all the best ways.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I would read apl the Siege novels just for the set pieces and flavor honestly. I thought parts of the first wall and mortis were particularly forgettable. I think there were maybe 5-7 scenes between the two books that felt appropriately epic and mythological, but it's worth it reading them once just for the complete picture. This is the genesis of "modern day" 40k after all and if you're a lore fan, worth the trudge imo

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Working on Mortis now, I think they're all interesting in one way or another as long as you're prepared. I read that The First Wall and Mortis sucked for months leading up to this, so I knew they wouldn't be great, but there's characters and plotlines that evolve in some way in all the novels, so I think it's worth it for the sake of completeness.

As for Mortis, I feel that it's kinda unfocused, but I still find things to appreciate. I understand why people dislike it, but I think that's an advantage that allows me to appreciate it more. Also it should've been called 'Somnium'.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm stuck.

I read Solar War, and was soundly not disappointed, just 'Well, this is OK, I guess - It's certainly not the drama of the Siege of Terra I was hoping for'.
Then I started Lost and the Damned, and I don't want to skip it because I want to read The Siege Of Terra, capitalisation intended, not the highlights. But it's just... dull. It's loving dull, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I finished volume II and it loving rules.