Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think I've reached the "hey uh buddy" stage of my reading as I'm listening to Mortis, reading Magos shorts and Fury of Magnus on my kindle, re-reading Xenos on paper and I'm technically in the process of re-reading The Founding on paper. If I keep this up I'll get to Echoes of Eternity around the release of vol. 3.
Edit: I've been thinking about reading Titanicus again...

Black Griffon posted:

Yeah I imagine Calibre would be able to handle it. I'll check it out, cheers!

It took some work, but I figured it out eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Black Griffon posted:

I think I've reached the "hey uh buddy" stage of my reading as I'm listening to Mortis

hey uh buddy stop listening to books that will give you literal brain damage

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

hey uh buddy stop listening to books that will give you literal brain damage

I think that getting through the entire heresy and choosing to skip a book for the first time within sight of the finish line would give my intricately designed idiot brain even more brain damage tbh

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Biplane posted:

Big reveal for part 3 DO NOT READ: Horus gets a hair transplant

The Split-ends and the Death

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Black Griffon posted:

I think that getting through the entire heresy and choosing to skip a book for the first time within sight of the finish line would give my intricately designed idiot brain even more brain damage tbh

it’s possible that it’s like shooting the moon, where if you slurp up every single drop of sewage from the hose it all cancels out but if you skip even one book the accumulated psychic damage of all those Nick Kyme and Gav Thorpe books hits you at once and gives you some kind of prion disease

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Like a psyker in Darktide with too much peril, which is to say I'll be left hunched on the floor while an eastern-european teenager calls me slurs.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Pron on VHS posted:

Finished Pariah. Am I to assume that Deathrow is an Alpha legion space marine who works for Eisenhorn?

Yes, you are supposed to assume that.

It's not true

It's true

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Pron on VHS posted:

Finished Pariah. Am I to assume that Deathrow is an Alpha legion space marine who works for Eisenhorn?

finding out in the end and the death that the alpha legion seeded deep cover marines with implanted code phrases to immediately go loyal/rebel/third way depending on how the battle went adds a hilarious level to the constant "whose side is the alpha legion really on?!?!" speculation. turns out they're all compulsive liars and schemers and they're probably doing it all!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Decline posted:

Anyone know what time preorders go live on Black Library? I tried to stay up for Fall of Cadia last weekend but couldn't make it. Must happen sometime in the middle of the night/in the morning. Very very eager to start End and the Death vol. 2.

xtothez posted:

They sent out that email when UK pre-orders went up at 10am BST, but USA & Canada can't order until 10am PST.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Sanguinius' mournful dying words are "I'm so tired of all these ends and these deaths."

Mazed posted:

It's good to know you're better! And, it's interesting how this dynamic works.

For me, Horus Heresy has been kind of a comfort series that I've often gone to anytime I'm feeling down, as opposed to times I'm more even-keeled. Before I started reading it I was averse, because the premise sounded so cynical and even somewhat mean-spirited, but after giving it a chance, it became clearly more like over-the-top mythic tragedy mixed with big dumb galactic soap opera.

Medication is helping, thank you. I think specifically it was ADB's stuff that was getting to me because he's so skilled at writing characters who are irredeemably evil, and silly as it sounds, it made me feel like a bad person to be cackling at the quips thrown by Talos and company when in the next scene they were literally murdering babies.

Also I'm going to be posting a lot in this thread because one of my closest friends recently died and they were the main person I discussed 40K stuff with :smith:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Good lord why did they suddenly make the warhammer store awful?

Edit: And they deleted my order history??

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 3, 2023

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kylaer posted:

Sanguinius' mournful dying words are "I'm so tired of all these ends and these deaths."

"You have truly become the warhammer the horus heresy, Horus"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Improbable Lobster posted:

"You have truly become the warhammer the horus heresy, Horus"

"Perhaps even.. the Warhammer 40,000"

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

As someone really looking forward to possible Scouring novels I really wish it would end already. Just kill the three dumbasses and be done with it.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

sharknado slashfic posted:

As someone really looking forward to possible Scouring novels I really wish it would end already. Just kill the three dumbasses and be done with it.

Jokes on you the next series is going to be a forty-eight part reboot of The Beast followed by twelve short story collections about Vulkan, all by Nick Kyme

Kylaer posted:

Medication is helping, thank you. I think specifically it was ADB's stuff that was getting to me because he's so skilled at writing characters who are irredeemably evil, and silly as it sounds, it made me feel like a bad person to be cackling at the quips thrown by Talos and company when in the next scene they were literally murdering babies.

Also I'm going to be posting a lot in this thread because one of my closest friends recently died and they were the main person I discussed 40K stuff with :smith:

Sorry to hear it bud

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Kylaer posted:

True but the reason they'd say no (apart from shooting down authors who want to overthrow the canon or write things GW doesn't want spelled out, like what happened to the missing legions) is because they don't think it'd sell. If someone pitched the idea of writing a slice-of-life novel about some mid-level Administratum functionary going about her boring job, dealing with ordinary marital stresses and trying to guide her kids through their equally mundane challenges, the editors are going to decline it, not because they're ideologically opposed but because they can't make any money off it. (And yes I know people in this thread would read it but that's an outlier). If Black Library thought they could make money publishing stories in which the most violent scene is when someone raised their voice in an argument, they would.

I get what you are saying but also like a third of Andor was “let’s watch Mon Mothma’s lovely marriage fall apart” and it is regarded as some of the best of Star Wars, period.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023
Another third was “let’s watch an incel cop get verbally wrecked by his boss, mother, and woman he is stalking” and also, some of the best of Star Wars, period

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

We gotta get Austin Walker and the gang to make a really, really small season of More Civilized for Titus Endor, that'll get GW's attention and cause them to make "The Andor of 40k".

He's called 'Endor', it's got a Star Wars connection.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

DaysBefore posted:

Jokes on you the next series is going to be a forty-eight part reboot of The Beast followed by twelve short story collections about Vulkan, all by Nick Kyme

Sorry to hear it bud

*screaming internally*

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Kylaer posted:

I think the big plot developments with regard to Cadia, the Great Rift, Indomitus etc are a good thing for enabling a wider variety of storytelling in the setting. Or at least potentially a good thing, GW may always squander the potential depending on how they move forward. Before the shakeup, the entire theme was about inching closer and closer to midnight, and that constrains things. The strength of 40K has always been that the galaxy is big enough to write whatever you want without being hemmed in by someone else's story - now there's the far side of the rift where things are basically back to Old Night and you can really play up the isolation and desperation, but on the Terran side, the replenished strength of the Imperium under Guilleman lets you tell some new stories, stories that aren't predicated on teetering on the verge of collapse. The Twice-Dead King stories do a really good job using this, suddenly it's the xenos who are fleeing the staggering might of a Crusade fleet instead of the humans fleeing a Waaagh, it's a great new spin.

Imperium Nihilus is a great opportunity for authors to go wild in a setting where Imperial control is vastly diminished and you just have this gigantic trainwreck of chaos and xenos and loyalists and separatists smashing tables over each other's heads all day every day. It's also a great opportunity to start confronting the idea that the Imperium is a necessary evil, perhaps by showing examples of secessionist regimes surviving and maybe even doing better without the shackles of Terra on them.

Essentially what this guy says:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI6aHzfxkFk

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Imperium Nihilus is a great opportunity for authors to go wild in a setting where Imperial control is vastly diminished and you just have this gigantic trainwreck of chaos and xenos and loyalists and separatists smashing tables over each other's heads all day every day. It's also a great opportunity to start confronting the idea that the Imperium is a necessary evil, perhaps by showing examples of secessionist regimes surviving and maybe even doing better without the shackles of Terra on them.

Ian is cool, I used his HH book rating list to help me decide which books to focus on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

When is it November 4

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Yeah this is good stuff. More human factions would do so much for the setting, from the official core being interesting to fan-content and OC stuff for TTRPGs and such having way more liberty to create different stories. It would also open up the possibility of a primarch returning and choosing to not rejoin the imperium, which I think would be neat.

Grilled Beef
Oct 27, 2023

Black Griffon posted:

We gotta get Austin Walker and the gang to make a really, really small season of More Civilized for Titus Endor, that'll get GW's attention and cause them to make "The Andor of 40k".

He's called 'Endor', it's got a Star Wars connection.

AMCA slaps, so yes.

Maybe get them to like read Horus Heresy if this strike goes on longer

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

euphronius posted:

When is it November 4

Tonight at 11pm CST as far as Amazon kindle is concerned. I can't wait.

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

D-Pad posted:

Tonight at 11pm CST as far as Amazon kindle is concerned. I can't wait.

It's up on my kindle. Reading now.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
EBOOK IS LIVE. Go to blacklibrary.com to get yours! No idea about the audiobook, I'm getting it with my Kindle credit when it's out there

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I think you should all not read it until monday, when I can get it. It's only fair

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Let me go further: I think you all should hang on threee weeks or so, which should give me time to catch up and start vol. 1.

Anyway, oh boy.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Black Griffon posted:

Let me go further: I think you all should hang on threee weeks or so, which should give me time to catch up and start vol. 1.

Anyway, oh boy.

No that's too fair, I'm afraid

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

tomorrow I’ll have to hit the snooze button on this thread to avoid spoilers but I am very excited for End and the Death 2: End and Die Harder

I think I'm going to take your advice and peace out on this thread until half a month from now which is when my next audible credit drops. Audiobooks really have become my preferred method of consuming 40k literature.

Also mad respect to anyone who has the mental constitution to read every single Heresy book because there's not a chance in hell I'll ever do that.

e: spellung

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 4, 2023

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

a lovely king posted:

It's up on my kindle. Reading now.

Ugh not on mine. Is there some time zone setting or something I'm not seeing. Are you US?

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021
This isn't a spoiler, but it takes a deep breath and continues right where part 1 left off.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
The problem is if they want the base to be interested in Imperium Nihilus, they maybe need to have some interesting stories set in it.

Spear of the Emperor was cool, and did it. But even in it, it was set dressing. It's just... not that compelling, not because it's intrinsically boring, there just isn't many good stories set in it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Also mad respect to anyone who has the mental constitution to read every single Heresy book because there's not a chance in hell I'll ever do that.

Some of us did that on release, and did not have the wisdom of those who went before us as guidance.

Also, IT'S HERE! IT'S HERE!

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Shockeh posted:

The problem is if they want the base to be interested in Imperium Nihilus, they maybe need to have some interesting stories set in it.

Spear of the Emperor was cool, and did it. But even in it, it was set dressing. It's just... not that compelling, not because it's intrinsically boring, there just isn't many good stories set in it.

Well the lore has moved to the point that guilliman is just about to cross over so once that happens I expect we will get quite a few books set over there.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It's amazing to me that somehow Abnett has managed to turn up the volume from the already deafening roar volume 1 was. This man fucks

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Not available for me either. loving time-zone shenanigans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Woke up early to read. Hell yeah