Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

These types of handles should be fired into the loving sun - we're not cleating rope at the docks. They're probably the most dangerous to have in a kitchen given how many times they snag on clothes - I've been caught on these countless times in flats I've rented and it's like "Ok well, glad I'm not handling a pot full of hot oil or something"

They'd be perfectly fine with rounded edges - just those jut out bits are an absolute nightmare.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could be worse, my mum went for no handles and just a lovely little ledge on the edge of the cabinet, so you have to guess which side everything opens and you're scrabbling at the loving spring close doors trying to get a grip.

Also doorknobs on the doors rather than handles, I swear she just loving hates usability.

loving awful things,

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

We have a thin cupboard next to the oven, it's actually useful for keeping oven trays and chopping boards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This satellite would be more useful to fire into the sun than those handles.

The handles are useful for hooking dishcloths/gloves and such over so you don't have to keep hanging them up.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

The handles are useful for hooking dishcloths/gloves and such over so you don't have to keep hanging them up.

Stuff em through the hoop!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We have a thin cupboard next to the oven, it's actually useful for keeping oven trays and chopping boards.

We have one of those and it makes it really easy to store those things vertically so you can just slide out the one you need.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

saturday night chilesposting is oddly calming

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Got my snaps through from the other week

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
The wine rack in my kitchen trolley is great for holding cartons of long-life milk.
Take the first one out roll the rest forward and put a new one in the back.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

They built my kitchen the wrong way round as they misread the design and to leave room for the fridge there was a corner gap. So they built a loving weird monstrous corner cupboard that if you're not a tall bastard with long arms like me, is entirely useless. Plus it only opens half way.

Then all the cupboards have massive gaps under them

Meaning stuff falls out, which when you are on the floor level means everything has a huge gap going into the area under the cabinets

Least it looks nice tho. Have a sticker printer and a bit of a thing for bees. So it's a bee coloured kitchen.

Black cabinets are a gently caress to keep clean though.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

saturday night chilesposting is oddly calming

chilesposting,

A few weeks back I was catsitting at my mum's as she was in hospital for a few days. I used her newly fitted wet room bathroom with a seat in the shower and it was great.

Our shower is one of those over the bathtub cheapo ones and I slipped and broke a rib a few years back. Last week I bought a non-slip shower stool and it's been a game changer.

Ms Radcliffe has threatened to leave if I ever tell anyone we know that I have a shower stool.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sitting down in the shower is lush, everyone should do it.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Ms Radcliffe has threatened to leave if I ever tell anyone we know that I have a shower stool.

use the toilet like a normal person

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Mebh posted:

They built my kitchen the wrong way round as they misread the design and to leave room for the fridge there was a corner gap. So they built a loving weird monstrous corner cupboard that if you're not a tall bastard with long arms like me, is entirely useless. Plus it only opens half way.

Then all the cupboards have massive gaps under them

Meaning stuff falls out, which when you are on the floor level means everything has a huge gap going into the area under the cabinets

Least it looks nice tho. Have a sticker printer and a bit of a thing for bees. So it's a bee coloured kitchen.

Black cabinets are a gently caress to keep clean though.

That's a pretty serious bodge-job. If one of our fitters tried to leave a kitchen in that state, it would be the last job he ever got from us. Exposed cut chipboard is a huge no-no, and not cleaning off your pencil lines is a personal pet peeve.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Put the plug in and sit in a little puddle and pretend you're a Shaolin monk sitting under a waterfall

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wachter posted:

Put the plug in and sit in a little puddle and pretend you're a Shaolin monk sitting under a waterfall

this is how i spent my teenage years

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Our shower is one of those over the bathtub cheapo ones and I slipped and broke a rib a few years back. Last week I bought a non-slip shower stool and it's been a game changer.
Our bath has the showerhead over the opposite end to the taps, so the end with the slant for leaning back on. To use the shower you either need to stand with your heels on the slope or stand in front of it and kind of lean in. I've slipped and almost fallen a couple of times now. Not sure this is that much better than occasionally catching your shin on the tap.

It is one of the many things in this house that doesn't seem to have been designed with useability in mind as much as looking good for the sale, like the aforementioned dimmer switches in the lounge which lasted a few months before blowing one of the rings because they were the wrong type.

Other features include the extra wide drawer in the kitchen you can't open if the door is open, the dropped ceiling in the lounge which amplifies any floor noise from upstairs (either in this house or next door), and the dot dab plasterboard on the party wall which amplifies our neighbour (who we like, to be fair) whenever she's singing or talking to people at the door.

I would love to get a proper soundproofing firm in to do the lounge at the very least, but I haven't looked into it for years and even then it was loving expensive, way more that I'll likely be able to afford ever.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah I think everything in my bathroom is just kinda off, like the bath/shower being along the side where the ceiling slopes so you can't stand up in it to the window sill being directly in the shower splash zone to the boiler not being in a cupboard.

Whole thing needs redoing, but pandemic and supply chain issues got in the way.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Soylent Yellow posted:

Kitchen knowledge

Where do independent kitchen companies source their actual cabinetry then? Like you machine it all yourself from scratch and coat/laminate/paint/whatever it?

I don't mean to insult you when I say this because obviously my exposure is only to people like wren. But kitchens are a scam.

My brother, and others, have pointed me to DIY kitchens which I'm going to use I think. But still I just wonder what independents do?

My parents built they're own house 30 odd years ago. They already had a carpenter in general but they just got him to do it all. So they have no "units" at all. Presumably you still use units? Units units units.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Waking up in the middle of the night to piss but your toilet is non-Euclidean geometry

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Sex Arses make a return to the Sunday Sport front page tomorrow

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Holy poo poo Im on page 3!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
:mcrappe:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
god i'm tempted to ring 'number on the skip :/

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Where do independent kitchen companies source their actual cabinetry then? Like you machine it all yourself from scratch and coat/laminate/paint/whatever it?

I don't mean to insult you when I say this because obviously my exposure is only to people like wren. But kitchens are a scam.

My brother, and others, have pointed me to DIY kitchens which I'm going to use I think. But still I just wonder what independents do?

My parents built they're own house 30 odd years ago. They already had a carpenter in general but they just got him to do it all. So they have no "units" at all. Presumably you still use units? Units units units.

Some buy in flat-packs. The better ones buy them in ready assembled from small manufacturers who build them to order, which is the route we take. There are plenty of companies scattered around the country that buy MFC boards in and fabricate cabinets. The advantage to us is that we can have them made to the exact specifications we need. We also have a pretty decent workshop, and are pretty handy with tools, so can do a lot of customisation ourselves. Want a cabinet that's exactly 347mm deep to fit into an alcove? We can do it. We'll buy the cabinets in from one manufacturer, and the doors from another. Most kitchen doors come from Ireland or Italy.

Kitchens aren't cheap, but they're not automatically a scam. There are however plenty of predatory retailers and installers around. I've worked both on the large retail and independent side (18 years experience, total), and definitely prefer the independents. We don't have the marketing power or name recognition of the big players, so our reputation is our main asset. We want to make a decent profit, but screwing you over definitely isn't in our best interests.

How the independents are different? We don't generally sell in volume. This means that our kitchens are generally more tailored to the client than something that comes off the shelf from a big retailer. It's still made up out of modular components, but we have more suppliers, and more control of what we can offer.

We use units. Standardisation is just cheaper and more practical. We just have much broader options of what constitutes a unit. Kitchen design is pretty much an overly complex game of Tetris.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Do you do supply only?

I guess the issue is how you get paid for the design aspect.

Vvvv sorry edited

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you do supply only?

Yep.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess the issue is how you get paid for the design aspect.

We don't. It's an investment. It's a discussion I've had with my boss a few times. I try to weed out obvious tire kickers, but it's always going to be a gamble. I could spend hours with a client, only for them to take my design to a competitor. I'm personally against the idea of charging for a design service. We'd lose some business, and my main objection is that it imposes an obligation of service on our part. I've had people who will go through 5-6 design iterations of a kitchen. What I don't want to see happening is me spending 20 hours polishing a design to a razor-sharp edge, only to have the customer walk into a competitor, slap my design on the table, and go "sell me this".

Soylent Yellow fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 4, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

On a new build, so kind of no funny angles or numbers do you think an independent can compete with DIY kitchens on a supply only kitchen?

Are you interested in that work? Or a ballache?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
We bought our kitchen from Homebase. I'm happy with the appliances we chose.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Did you get a bidet?

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Went to Wren and felt the hard sell but got good ideas (messed around with VR and poo poo like that) and used those initial designs as a basis for a DIY Kitchens job using a fitter we found on Checkatrade. Had a lot of mad quotes and finding a fitter we felt we could trust was by far the most stressful part but really happy with the end result. But it’s basically a game of Tetris and fun delivery logistics scheduling when doing it yourself like that.

Some friends who got Wren or Howdens kitchens done by their builders as part of general extension projects are really unhappy with the long term durability and the cabinets look totally shabby after just a few years. Ours was done this spring so time will tell but the impression I got and from family who also did the DIY Kitchens route was you get a better thickness of cabinet material and finish than you would for the equivalent price at Wren.

Got the job finished 5 days before our baby was born. Proper seat of pants timing there!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Did you get a bidet?

We got one of those taps on a flexy hose so if you're really determined then sure

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

pixel bitches posted:

We got one of those taps on a flexy hose so if you're really determined then sure

Nice. Only reason I went back to wren was they had a deal on the self bellend boiling tap which seemed like you could save like a grand. It was bullshit.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Nice. Only reason I went back to wren was they had a deal on the self bellend boiling tap which seemed like you could save like a grand. It was bullshit.

Are you fitting a waste disposal unit cuz you should and it's the only piece of advice on kitchens I can conceivably give

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

NotJustANumber99 posted:

On a new build, so kind of no funny angles or numbers do you think an independent can compete with DIY kitchens on a supply only kitchen?

Are you interested in that work? Or a ballache?

I'll be honest, we're not cheap. Also, arranging remote deliveries is a pain in the rear end, especially with remedials. Unless you just happen to live in north west wales. I can have a quick look at whatever design you have to make sure there aren't any glaring mistakes, but mail-order kitchens isn't a rabbithole I really want to go down.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

Soylent Yellow posted:

...I can have a quick look at whatever design you have to make sure there aren't any glaring mistakes...

When you know someone hasn't looked at the njan house build thread

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Alan G posted:

When you know someone hasn't looked at the njan house build thread

Link. Curious about what kind of rabbithole it could be.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Flux Wildly posted:

Had a lot of mad quotes

We had this when getting our garden done. I'd knocked the basic design together in mspaint because it was basically just terracing a big square slope with planters, steps, drainage and a patio at the bottom.

Quotes came in from £5000 to £15,000. We obviously went with the guys that came in at £5k who also gave us the full itemised breakdown of part costs/labour before we even signed.

gently caress knows what the £15,000 guys were thinking unless they thought they'd have to spend 2 weeks digging it all out by hand or some poo poo.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if you get an insanely inflated quote from trades its because their books are full and cant take any more on within a reasonable timeframe. Saying No outright is bad though so instead of No you get some figure plucked from the air on the assumption that you'll go elsewhere.

occasionally though someone will agree and its funny how suddenly time can be freed up to come and do your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-67321305

BBC posted:

A ewe that was dubbed Britain's loneliest sheep has been rescued from a remote shore in the Scottish Highlands.

The sheep, now named Fiona, had been stranded at the foot of cliffs on the Cromarty Firth for at least two years.

An animal welfare charity had said any attempts to rescue her would be "incredibly complex".

But a group of five men have now managed to haul her up a steep slope. They plan to shear her overgrown fleece and hand her over to a farm park.

The rescue mission was organised by Cammy Wilson, a sheep shearer from Ayrshire, after seeing media coverage of the ewe's plight.

Mr Wilson, who is a presenter on the BBC's Landward programme, organised the rescue in a personal capacity along with four others.

Speaking in the video posted on Facebook, he said: "We've come up here with some with some heavy equipment and we've got this sheep up an incredibly steep slope.

"She's in incredible condition. She is about a condition score of about 4.5, she is overfat - it was some job lifting her up that slope.

"She is going to a very special place that a lot of you know very well, where you'll be able to see her virtually every day."

Sunday headlines: Fiona the 'lonely' sheep must die, says Sir Kier Starmer.

Christ, quoting the BBC and every sentence is a paragraph. How the gently caress is this their official style guide?