Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

yea ok posted:

Just finished that one up earlier, and it's really good. 2.5 hours of Semp audio, good?? That's right.

Makes me miss sin limite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

projecthalaxy posted:

I'm actually curious about a bit of Davelore and this seems the best place to ask. I know F4W and WON used to be independent (competitors?) and now it's one thing but how exactly did that merger look? Like was it presented as a 50 50 merger, did Dave just put F4W on the letterhead when Bryan started doing the hotline, or some secret third thing? Was there a ritual combat is my question really.

Prior to the merger Dave was very friendly with Bryan. They did WOL years earlier and WOL was bad as a weekly thing on top of Dave appearing on Bryan's F4D podcast every two weeks. The merger was announced and it wasn't really presented as anything more than they were merging, the Observer would be available online and we'd get 3 Bryan and Dave shows per week. So you had no reason to think it was anything more than a 50/50 thing.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

STONE COLD 64 posted:

In 2008 they basically just closed the old wrestler observer website, moved the WOL and WOR archive to f4w, and started running the digital version of the observer on f4w for the first time. Before then the observer was only available by print or email.

MassRafTer posted:

Prior to the merger Dave was very friendly with Bryan. They did WOL years earlier and WOL was bad as a weekly thing on top of Dave appearing on Bryan's F4D podcast every two weeks. The merger was announced and it wasn't really presented as anything more than they were merging, the Observer would be available online and we'd get 3 Bryan and Dave shows per week. So you had no reason to think it was anything more than a 50/50 thing.

Cool, thanks. I wasn't aware WON wasn't online at all before the merger. I will admit a small part of me wanted like the last F4W newsletter to be some sort of deranged "the dave hordes are at the gates but I will not be silenced i will continue to speak freely" or whatever but that was unrealistic and if anything apparently would have gone the other direction.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I wonder if Bryan has a plan for if Dave retires soon. I think a podcast where you talk to your grandma about 90s wrestling is only going to pay so many bills.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

He could probably just keep podcasting and writing

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

He also teaches jiujitsu and has a yoga studio with his wife, and his wife does a ton of bull poo poo too. He'll be alright

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

yea ok posted:

He also teaches jiujitsu and has a yoga studio with his wife, and his wife does a ton of bull poo poo too. He'll be alright

oh nice. I forgot about the jiujitsu

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If he just jacks up his cameo price by a couple of bucks he can retire with Dave

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan spends a lot of money but he also makes hundreds of thousands of dollars per year on his website and video subscriptions he can probably retire when Dave dies.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bryan Alvarez Onlyfans

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Bryan Alvarez still has two bbq grills

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dave will never retire :pray:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

how else are you going to cook two burgers at once

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one of them is completely unusable because it requires a gas connection and seemingly he doesn't have one at all in his home

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This is a little older now but we were just talking in Wrestling Questions thread about how Sid is the Platonic Ideal of American pro-wrestling. Some folks agreed with me there and it looks like they said as much on the Nash podcast, too If you wee to make a wrestler in a lab in the 80s, you would get Sid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV9nTs615Rk

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

imo vader is the perfect wrestler of the 80s or any decade

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

This is a little older now but we were just talking in Wrestling Questions thread about how Sid is the Platonic Ideal of American pro-wrestling. Some folks agreed with me there and it looks like they said as much on the Nash podcast, too If you wee to make a wrestler in a lab in the 80s, you would get Sid.

great discussion but do these two always have the energy of just waking up from a nap and not wanting to take the zoom call you had pre-scheduled

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that they go through the effort of identifying the three Johns, then the very first question is,"So why don't you start, John?" :allears:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Orange Carlisle posted:

great discussion but do these two always have the energy of just waking up from a nap and not wanting to take the zoom call you had pre-scheduled

Nash knows that only marks give more than the minimum effort.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I dropped Nash’s podcast because his co-host comes off like kind of an rear end in a top hat and I got tired of him.

Being a little relaxed is alright.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Kennel posted:

Nash knows that only marks give more than the minimum effort.

still the smartest guy in wrestling then

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't there some F4W lore that Bryan went to Bash 94 and handed his newspaper to Dave without realising who he was?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

algebra testes posted:

Wasn't there some F4W lore that Bryan went to Bash 94 and handed his newspaper to Dave without realising who he was?

Bash 95, either Bryan or one of his friends handed him an ad for F4W.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

imo vader is the perfect wrestler of the 80s or any decade

a real stinky cheese smelling guy hell yah

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

STONE COLD 64 posted:

STONE COLD 64 posted:

one of them is completely unusable because it requires a gas connection and seemingly he doesn't have one at all in his home
He only has one grill now, and I am of the opinion that Bryan is the babyface (and even more remarkably, the Functional Adult Human) in the grill story.

He went to Home Depot to buy a propane grill and purchased a propane grill and brought the grill home and it was a grill powered by natural gas that requires you to run a line outside to the grill.

He contacted Home Depot about this and they apologized and said they'd deliver a new (propane) grill and pick up the old (natural gas) grill. They did the first part, but the people delivering the propane grill wouldn't take the natural gas grill back.

No one from Home Depot seemed to want to come pick up the grill and he had only paid for one grill so he stopped calling asking them to pick up the useless grill.

He revealed the other week that he got sick of it taking up space and gave in and drove it back to return it himself. Because of all of the hundreds of cardboard boxes filling up his garage/porch, it was getting to be too much to also have a useless grill around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'm fully behind Bryan on that one, it was the store's fault entirely and he legit went above and beyond trying to get it sorted out.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

duckdealer posted:

Definitely!

I started listening to the non-wrestler category one with Sepervive but then I had to go to work. Previous ones have all been great so I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of this episode.

I just finished this one and it was really good!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave mentioning on WOR today about how happy MLW is about Dana White openly stating about all the times Vince screwed over UFC in potential TV deals is making me go hmm a lot more on his comments. Like it'd be super funny if Dana's trying to stick the knife into Vince as revenge

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eykOnaHJwm0

The wrestling business is invariably full of stories and contradictions and just outright lies. I waned to know if it was true Shawn flipped the script for that match with Davey and I see no reason to doubt JR here who confirms that, yes, Shawn basically said "I don't care how many dying sisters you have in attendance, I'm gonna win here."

Shawn was absolutely my favorite wrestler growing up. I still kinda like him when I can just imagine the character in the mid 90s when I fell in love with him. But this haas to be the biggest dick move in wrestling history. Top 10 for certain.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

My one complaint about sid is his hair

The ramen hair always cut the menace of his crazy eyes, imo. That and the jorts he wore for like the whole last half of his run.

My two complaints about sid are his hair and his jorts

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

right? imagine a wrestler ever getting over with jorts

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

The wrestling business is invariably full of stories and contradictions and just outright lies. I waned to know if it was true Shawn flipped the script for that match with Davey and I see no reason to doubt JR here who confirms that, yes, Shawn basically said "I don't care how many dying sisters you have in attendance, I'm gonna win here."

Shawn was absolutely my favorite wrestler growing up. I still kinda like him when I can just imagine the character in the mid 90s when I fell in love with him. But this haas to be the biggest dick move in wrestling history. Top 10 for certain.

Yes, it is true.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave Meltzer: You don't need to add Dalton Castle to TV.

Dave's finally gone too far! :cry:

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

shawn is notoriously one of the biggest dickheads in wrestling during the 1990s

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Dave Meltzer: You don't need to add Dalton Castle to TV.

Dave's finally gone too far! :cry:

That segment on collision was totally bizarre though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I loved it personally, and as we all know that is the most important metric any serious businessperson should be taking into account when it comes to multimillion dollar enterprises.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

mooseinfants posted:

That segment on collision was totally bizarre though

It was a Dalton Castle segment, yes.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

does anyone have the clip of Vinny reading out the NXT "Wendy who? Ham sandwich? Wendy choo? Ham sandwich?!" segment

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hefty Leftist posted:

does anyone have the clip of Vinny reading out the NXT "Wendy who? Ham sandwich? Wendy choo? Ham sandwich?!" segment

Kinda.

https://i.imgur.com/QFRylB2.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/rQKRYDm.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

lmfao