Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maninthesuit
Jul 13, 2017
Hold on. They reduced the death count from the school shooting? Why? To make Shaddic and co look less bad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
One Jubeju is worth 12 spacians on his own.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I thought the big draw of Engage was the new animation and the story of the new character’s Forest Gump style journey through the Universal Century. How do you access that?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/MechaGirlOTD/status/1717733574265196849?t=1IGnchzE4UdSriEZS4WrBg&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/TheIdeon/status/1717937478953267367?t=2kIeFgW3s04BP3qEKidr3w&s=19

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Warmachine posted:

It feels like it's meant to be a showcase of the UC, but I'm loving BAFFLED by the mission order. Why would you make a game, divide your missions by time period, and then not play those period missions in order? If you want to let people play their favorite series, why not subdivde the eras further? loving mind boggling.

I wanted to like it, but I just can't be bothered. All the typical mobile game problems of too many systems and currencies, which GBM eventually had, but none of the customization appeal. I'm also not the biggest fan of the auto-battler genre, it seems. I lowkey wish it was more Galaxy of Heroes and a turn-based collect and build your team game instead. For reference, GBM scratched the itch well enough that I put an unhealthy amount of money into it.

Random note: SD Gundam Battle Alliance felt really fun playing through the demo; I would have bought it but the SD part was a big turnoff.

It handles the "play through your fav Gundam battles" so much better than UC, a lot more action-based but there's an upgrade and I think customization gimmick I only sorta fiddled with.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwfO25CmvXY

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmao

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://twitter.com/SEED_HDRP/status/1719127038055813199?s=19

Athrun and Lacus don't seem to be feeling the spirit...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
No thats just hirai spookyface.

https://twitter.com/g_tekketsu_game/status/1719294160308683263?t=ncTThMD0WG-FsZHL7tdp5w&s=19

Urdr Hunt is ending.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Oct 31, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I am insanely forgiving of mecha games if they can even remotely scratch my itch and some NGB failed to do that.

What killed it for me was when an early boss was immune to energy weapons and flew too high up to reach with melee so I very quickly encountered an unwinnable level due to my build having no machine guns. Sure I can go back, change up, and replay the level again but that's an enthusiasm killer. Dogshit game design up there with the end of Mega Man 2.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I wasn't aware it had even started properly.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/G_Witch_M/status/1719554856703115571?t=n02ZI1bWn9N3Sh6DndN3PQ&s=19

Apparently the earlier aample art they forgot Elnora has a robot arm.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I wasn't aware it had even started properly.
It just sort of dropped with no news.

It's a shame because some of the writing is actually pretty charming.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMCX4IZ0VZp3gBlvCF6Cc3TY1qvGmtAOD

Here's a playlist of fan tls of the story.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Endorph posted:

It just sort of dropped with no news.

It's a shame because some of the writing is actually pretty charming.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMCX4IZ0VZp3gBlvCF6Cc3TY1qvGmtAOD

Here's a playlist of fan tls of the story.

It's a pretty good example of how it feels like they treat a lot of the franchise. poo poo people are excited for, like further information about the IBO world and history, just shows up with no real fanfare or marketing sometimes, and then dies in what feels like a year; meanwhile they keep spending way too much money on poo poo no one wants like the build metaverse.

Unrelated but in my re-watch of seed I finally got to the part where Kira cries really funnily because flay was racist to him again. I don't know why he considers most of those people friends when all but like, two of them actively seem to hate him and poo poo on him any chance they get.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They were probably a lot nicer to him when they were just random teenagers going to school and he was just a classmate. Remember that all these kids just saw their home blown to pieces in the crossfire of a race war, all of them got drafted into fighting in said race war, and they're all dependent on Kira for their continued survival but to others it probably looks like he has a lot more reasons to side with ZAFT than the EA. It also feeds into itself - the more people distrust him and act like dicks to him for being a coordinator, the more reasons they believe he has to betray them, which makes them distrust him more because SURELY he's going to flip at any point.

Despite Flay's racism, she is the only one of them early on who actually takes proactive action to try to give Kira a reason to keep fighting for them despite everything, which is honestly pretty funny. Tolle also eventually chips in, but, well, :rip:

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Nov 1, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Watching The Origin and its kinda funny how Char's first 4 kills came about, but it honors the frachise's long running tradition of child soldiers I guess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I liked the guntank standoff. Hamon is trying to charm her way through and then suddenly Casval "haha gatling guns go brrrrrrrr"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:3:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

While I still prefer Original Flavor Opportunistic Clumsy Fuckup Char over Origin Flavor Manipulative Psychopath Char, I can still appreciate the latter.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its a fun ride.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/htGOIW/status/1719974802839277582?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Same

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gundam/comments/17m7s9p/i_thought_mcgillis_plan_was_just_some_fantasy/

Valery Sabin though if he stole one of the newest soviet Frigates, parked it alongside the museum ship Aurora, an old symbol of the Russian revolution, and broadcast a nationwide address to the people from there, the people would rise and restore "true Leninist communism" from those corrupt Brezhnev era leaders. While it would eventually inspire The Hunt for Red October, this is way closer to McGillis' crazy plans, including going down in a blaze as the traditional military authorities attacked.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

golden bubble posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gundam/comments/17m7s9p/i_thought_mcgillis_plan_was_just_some_fantasy/

Valery Sabin though if he stole one of the newest soviet Frigates, parked it alongside the museum ship Aurora, an old symbol of the Russian revolution, and broadcast a nationwide address to the people from there, the people would rise and restore "true Leninist communism" from those corrupt Brezhnev era leaders. While it would eventually inspire The Hunt for Red October, this is way closer to McGillis' crazy plans, including going down in a blaze as the traditional military authorities attacked.

"If I take the symbolic point of victory everyone will rally behind me and bring about the glorious gay space communist utopia the noble warrior society" is honestly pretty common in history. It is almost never a good plan unless it goes hand-on-hand with other stuff but that doesn't stop military leaders from sniffing their own farts and going "if we capture the flag then the other side has to surrender" like they're playing Valkyria Chronicles

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/sioagisoluto/status/1720639955528282420?t=7dglz2HMRQ3El2A6F29Djg&s=19

Is this from something or is it a fan project? It's a short clip but looks super slick.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's a bit from Another Century's Episode R's opening.

All of the Another Century's Episode games have incredible opening movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Huh so it's essentially From Software going "what if we did Super Robot Wars as a 3rd Person Mech Shooter". That's a neat premise, I dig it.

Were these games ever sold internationally or just in the Japanese market?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Solely Japanese releases. 3 games on the PS2, 1 on the PSP, 1 on the PS3.

ACE 2 and 3 are fantastic, ACE R(the PS3 one) is mediocre, the PSP and ACE 1 are kind of bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Huh so it's essentially From Software going "what if we did Super Robot Wars as a 3rd Person Mech Shooter". That's a neat premise, I dig it.

Were these games ever sold internationally or just in the Japanese market?

Yeah, it's neat. One fun thing they share with Armored Core 6 is having consistent scale. So if you pick an Aura Battler for a mission, you're only about 20 feet tall and everything looks massive in comparison to you. Meanwhile, go for Getter, and you're the size of a small Godzilla.

(The PS3 one even has a cameo from Armored Core.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/lovegenerator/status/1720595988593934719

Man I would kill for this. Can this be the next setting for retsu isekai?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/lovegenerator/status/1720595988593934719

Man I would kill for this. Can this be the next setting for retsu isekai?

Lmao

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The warcrimes in SEED have begun. Also like, battle ships are loving nothing in this series and it's kind of weird watching them get so easily blown up by regular rear end mobile suits.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nuebot posted:

The warcrimes in SEED have begun. Also like, battle ships are loving nothing in this series and it's kind of weird watching them get so easily blown up by regular rear end mobile suits.

I like to think of this as the "stormtrooper effect." In 0079, we saw Char (by reputation, anyway) and Amuro blow the gently caress out of battleships, and the Battle of Loum is oft-retold as the battle where battleships were made obsolete by mobile suits running roughshod over them.

The nuance of this is entirely lost on the listener. Amuro and Char were loving terrifying pilots capable of feats no one else at the time could muster. Loum was a fleet battle AUGMENTED by a mobile suit corps on one side that could take advantage of the fact the BBs were not prepared for anti-mobile-suit combat and distracted by needing to shoot down the other side's BBs.

Compare to Star Wars, where stormtroopers are inaccurate to the point of being a meme in the original movies despite being pretty competent when not squaring off against three kids with Plot Armor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Warmachine posted:

I like to think of this as the "stormtrooper effect." In 0079, we saw Char (by reputation, anyway) and Amuro blow the gently caress out of battleships, and the Battle of Loum is oft-retold as the battle where battleships were made obsolete by mobile suits running roughshod over them.

The nuance of this is entirely lost on the listener. Amuro and Char were loving terrifying pilots capable of feats no one else at the time could muster. Loum was a fleet battle AUGMENTED by a mobile suit corps on one side that could take advantage of the fact the BBs were not prepared for anti-mobile-suit combat and distracted by needing to shoot down the other side's BBs.

Compare to Star Wars, where stormtroopers are inaccurate to the point of being a meme in the original movies despite being pretty competent when not squaring off against three kids with Plot Armor.

Yeah I mean these were kinda callbacks to Taranto and most of the Pacific War where both IJN and USN carriers quickly and decisively showed that the time of the battleships had ended. I always felt that it was a pretty clear analogy to carrier aircraft > mobile suits and their impact on combat, even in SEED although its not as direct and imo obvious as 0079 / origin

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nuebot posted:

This is kind of a running thing in Gundam in general. One of the big advantages of mobile suits was that they allowed pilots to basically start absolutely loving wrecking carriers. You eventually had carriers built to compensate for it but even then that's primarily effective against non-aces or weaker suits. Most of the 'protagonist' carriers tend to have specialized armor and defenses to explain exactly why they don't get loving curbstomped.

Caros
May 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

This is kind of a running thing in Gundam in general. One of the big advantages of mobile suits was that they allowed pilots to basically start absolutely loving wrecking carriers. You eventually had carriers built to compensate for it but even then that's primarily effective against non-aces or weaker suits. Most of the 'protagonist' carriers tend to have specialized armor and defenses to explain exactly why they don't get loving curbstomped.

It often 'makes sense' in context of the setting as well.

Beam weapons on a mobile suite are only marginally less powerful than capitol ship mounted beam weapons. In OG gundam the sort of stand off at range shooting at one another is complicated by minovsky particles making it hard for ships to land direct hits on one another at range.

So you have a zippy boi run up to the capitol ship and shove their rifle directly into the bridge, or get a solid perpendicular shot on the engine block that a capitol ship isn't likely to muster.

When you see it from zeon (Loam, for example) it tends to be them busting out the literal bug guns like bazookas and missile launchers as large as the mobile suit to get similar damage.

As a result, they have a bad day.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Capital ship

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Also it makes no sense. If the ships actually had appropriate levels of AA we'd not see bullshit like the Sinanju v. Argama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bring some IBO bruiser ships into the fray and they could probably kill a Salamis just by ramming it.