Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I will never stop talking about my cat :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

I have a mini-panther IRL, myself. :smug:

bagrada posted:

Everywhere in the underdark started importing panthers after the legend of drizzt started spreading around.

:lol: My sister has a black cat she adopted when a friend moved that they legit named Guenhwyvar. She just calls it Gwen because I don't think she's ever once in her life given a poo poo about Drizz't novels

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Was there any kind of response at all (positive or negative) about the Secret World 5e conversion? I wanted Secret World TTRPG material for so long but building for 5e seemed like a big mistake. But I've heard literally nothing since the kickstarter.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Really enjoying running Call from the Deep. About 3 sessions in, just got the players to the island of Gunderlun and they're all level 3.

Adding a lot of character-oriented stuff as well. BG3 really inspired me in terms of giving each player an entire sub-plot of their own. I had each player describe what it is they would like their plot to be, and I'll be weaving things in over time. They'll come to their own conclusions in the latter half of the game (either late act 2, or sometime in act 3).

-Zethir, the human rogue, was given to the temple of Anubis when his parents mysteriously died at sea. He was granted strange powers of investigation by his god (essentially he can cast speak with dead once per long rest), but instead of letting the temple use him for their own nefarious purposes, he fled. Now he's on the run from the temple and searching for his missing parents. He got a lead that their ship was last seen heading west, toward the island of Gunderlun.
-Sif, the wood elf fighter, left his original adventuring party to take on a familial obligation. When he returned, he found his party dead. Knowing of a man with the ability to communicate with the dead, he took the head of one of the people who attacked his party to get some answers.
-Chimera, the high elf warlock, is a member of a cult that worships a powerful kraken of the Sword Coast. Her father, one of the highest ranking members of the cult, and a powerful politician in Baldur's Gate vying for a seat on the Council of Four, sent her to the island of Gunderlun to investigate reports of a strange craft crashing onto the island.
-Kai, a half-sea elf storm sorceress, took to piracy shortly after having a falling out with her overbearing mother, a mighty storm giant. She fell in with a group of pirates, but quickly realized she was in over her head. She made a deal with the pirates to purchase her own freedom, and hopes to find her estranged father, a sea elf merchant, who disappeared over a decade ago.
-Domo, the aasimar cleric of peace, is seeking to tend to the wounded of sea faring vessels, a direct response to the increase of piracy throughout the Sword Coast. Assigned by her order to assist a boat called The Voyage, she meets a strange group of adventurers, a human rogue, a wood elf fighter, a high elf warlock, and a sea elf sorceress.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Did WotC just decide to not advertise that they were dropping an extra book this month on DMs Guild? A high level adventure/nine hells sourcebook, written by the Baldurs Gate writer and one of the more prominent sci fi/fantasy writers and that 100% of the sales were going to Extra Life.

Seems like a really bid lead to bury.

https://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/457996

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Was there any kind of response at all (positive or negative) about the Secret World 5e conversion? I wanted Secret World TTRPG material for so long but building for 5e seemed like a big mistake. But I've heard literally nothing since the kickstarter.

The core book is out for backers in pdf form

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I couldn't find anything pre-made for the session I want to run for my young kids (5.5 and 8) over Thanksgiving, so I tried to make something for myself, do these encounters seem easy enough for me to shepherd three Level 1 PCs through?

Combat Encounter 1 (75 XP)
2x PilGrims (Kobold)

Combat Encounter 2 (100 XP)
Gelatinous Gravy (Grey Ooze)

Combat Encounter 3 (150 XP)
Terrible Turkey (dialed-down Brass Dragon Wyrmling)

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Did WotC just decide to not advertise that they were dropping an extra book this month on DMs Guild? A high level adventure/nine hells sourcebook, written by the Baldurs Gate writer and one of the more prominent sci fi/fantasy writers and that 100% of the sales were going to Extra Life.

They got James Ohlen and Adrian Tchaikovsky to write a high-level Planar adventure, releasing in close proximity to their big Planescape box set, and I'm only hearing about it now!?

What the gently caress?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Holy poo poo I absolutely LOVED the premise to this game and have often daydreamed about creating a campaign around it.

Is it available anywhere to get ahold of? I’d loooooove to DM a Secret World campaign.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

oh wow

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

What the hell, I am buying this immediately. Maybe I can wrench it into a sequel to my own Decent into Avernus campaign.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

The core book is out for backers in pdf form

Is there any way to get ahold of this besides :files: ? I can’t find it anywhere and my normal means of finding a book are probably failing given it’s niche nature. I definitely don’t mind paying.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Saxophone posted:

Is there any way to get ahold of this besides :files: ? I can’t find it anywhere and my normal means of finding a book are probably failing given it’s niche nature. I definitely don’t mind paying.

Don't think so. It got sent to backers from the kickstarter

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Did anyone fund The Crooked Moon book that I kept seeing advertising for on YouTube?

I love folk horror and I was curious as to the quality of it, it had some great artwork in it.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

PicklePants posted:

Did anyone fund The Crooked Moon book that I kept seeing advertising for on YouTube?

I love folk horror and I was curious as to the quality of it, it had some great artwork in it.

My partner did but aside from a small amount of playtest material they released nothing has been sent out for the actual book yet. Pdf or otherwise

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I don't understand why this isn't a physical print. Seems like a slam dunk for book sales. It fills the dearth of high-level content, fits with the new planescape material coming out, and is written by icons of RPG gaming and genre fiction? idgi

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Item's I've made this week to reward the players for clearing a little dungeon.

quote:

Ice Shard Amulet

Wondrous Item, rare (requires attunement)

This amulet is fashioned from a single shard of resilient ice formed from aether from the elemental plane of water. While wearing it, you gain the following benefits.

You can use the amulet as a spell casting focus for your spells.

You can try to cast a cantrip you don't know from any spell list. You must make a DC 15 intelligence (Arcana) check if the spell is not from your spell list, or DC 10 otherwise. If the check succeeds, you cast the spell, if you fail, so does the spell and the action used to cast the spell is wasted, you can't use their property again until you finish a short rest.

While attuned this amulet provides +1 to Saving Throws. When attuned you gain a layer of protective frost which provides 2d6 temporary hp which recharges every short rest.

This item can be used as a spellcasting focus, increasing your spell save DCs by 1 when attuned.

quote:

Coin of Draconic Luck

Wonderous Item (Coin), rare

A golden coin with the reptilian eye of a God glancing at you expecting…

When you roll a d20 you may use this coin to roll that d20 at advantage. This uses up the coin turning it into dust.

What is taken from the Dragon returns to the Dragon…

Yes I've been watching people player Fear and Hunger why do you ask?

quote:

Snow Lily Brooch

While wearing and attuned to this item, whenever you roll a die you may roll another and choose one, this ability can only be used once per encounter.

Additionally you gain +1 to AC and Saving Throws.

Once per long rest you may use a reaction to create a shield of ice that can block a blow, casting the Shield spell, or reduce incoming damage by 1d12.

quote:

Winnie's Book of Riddles

This is a magic grimoire created by an Archfey of the Winter Court, Winnie. While attuned to this item you gain the following cantrips and spells: Frostbite, Ray of Frost, Chill Wind (Gust but Better), Ice Orb (Chromatic Orb but just Cold with a little extra damage), Faerie Frost (Faerie Fire but also reduces movement).

While attuned you also gain the (minor) Blessings of the Archfey +1 to saving throws against charm, sleep, fear, and other mind affecting spells or supernatural abilities.

Once per long rest you can use the book to be wrapped with a dread shivering aura to gain advantage on a persuasion, performance, or intimidation check.

This item can be used as a spellcasting focus, increasing your spell save DCs by 1 when attuned.

I should write more flavour text.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Finster Dexter posted:

I don't understand why this isn't a physical print. Seems like a slam dunk for book sales. It fills the dearth of high-level content, fits with the new planescape material coming out, and is written by icons of RPG gaming and genre fiction? idgi

It looks like a recipe for a great campaign book. I agree about it being strange for there to be no physical print, yeah.

Anybody bought it and looked at it? I can't be certain if this is an "internal politics sabotage a good project" situation or a "this book actually sucks and they didn't want to waste more money" situation.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't get what the coin does

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't get what the coin does

You "spend" the coin to make a given roll at advantage.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
I don't know why I couldn't understand that from your post

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Ominous Jazz posted:

I don't know why I couldn't understand that from your post

Weird, maybe its the flavour text?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Raenir Salazar posted:

Item's I've made this week to reward the players for clearing a little dungeon.

I should write more flavour text.

These all seem pretty butch. Except the coin, which is just replacing inspiration.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

ninjoatse.cx posted:

These all seem pretty butch. Except the coin, which is just replacing inspiration.

For my game inspiration recovers every session, so its just adding it as a resource so they are encouraged to use it more often instead of at the end of each session. As a consumable it also seems to me like its sufficiently valuable to pad the end session loot drop. (Loot comes at the end of a encounter/dungeon/session and the players roll luck rolls and pick in turns)

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

It looks like a recipe for a great campaign book. I agree about it being strange for there to be no physical print, yeah.

Anybody bought it and looked at it? I can't be certain if this is an "internal politics sabotage a good project" situation or a "this book actually sucks and they didn't want to waste more money" situation.

I gave it a once-over. As a runnable campaign it seems a little loose, there are zero battlemaps in the entire book and as-written there's no plot reason to visit 75% of the locations other than "there might be treasure there". As a guy that likes more structured content I would have to take a lot more time to rebuild it. But as a sourcebook and high-level campaign it looks fantastic.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone have any opinions about the Planescape adventure module? I like a lot of it but there's a pretty big chunk of it that's level-agnostic and I don't know how that's supposed to stay fun with the challenge dwindling over time.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Anyone have any opinions about the Planescape adventure module? I like a lot of it but there's a pretty big chunk of it that's level-agnostic and I don't know how that's supposed to stay fun with the challenge dwindling over time.

Once I am off work in an hour I will help with this.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Those custom items all seem nice and reasonable, except that I'm not very impressed with the coin.

The Coin of Draconic Luck has some real "never use this because what if you need it later" energy. I think players would be more likely to use it if instead of disintegrating, it could not be used again for 1d6+1 days. So it would still be something you can only rarely use, and thus will want to save it for key moments, but players won't hold on to it waiting for THE singular key moment. Not to mention that it only grants advantage, and therefore it's still possible to fail. The longer the players hold onto it waiting for their key moment, the worse it'll feel if a key moment comes and they roll crappy with it. Now, if instead of granting advantage, the player could automatically succeed on one roll, then I think it being a one-use item and disintegrating would feel better.

The coin being a one-use advantage strikes me as especially notable compared to the Snow Lily Brooch, which does the exact same thing as the coin, except better, with additional benefits and you can use it once an encounter! Not even once per short or long rest, once per encounter!

EDIT: If you're handing out a lot of those Coins of Draconic Luck, then it's okay, but the description of "Rare" suggests that they're, well, rare.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Ok some opinions about that middle area.

For the most part it should not be too hard to keep the challenge right, that chunk of the adventure covers levels 6-9, with the party leveling every 2 Gate Towns. The level range is not too big, and if needed for later locations an extra monster or two should be enough. Like lets say the party does Curst at level 9 as one of their last ones, the final encounter there is with two Mercykiller Bloodhounds, if you feel that is not challenging enough a third could be added.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Okay, so, I'm currently reading through a PDF of the Sigil and the Outlands book that i... found, and I've gotta know: is the layout this chaotic and terrible in the physical book?

I'm seeing Headings of areas at the bottoms of pages with the main body on a different page, random roll tables split between two pages, artist attribution on a single line at the top of the page after the picture, fluff blurbs in the wrong place... It's just a cavalcade of layout-based gently caress ups.

Please, tell me this is merely an artifact of a quick conversion to PDF, and that the Actual Book That Trees Died For and People Paid Good Money For isn't this slipshod of a product.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

HellCopter posted:

I gave it a once-over. As a runnable campaign it seems a little loose, there are zero battlemaps in the entire book and as-written there's no plot reason to visit 75% of the locations other than "there might be treasure there". As a guy that likes more structured content I would have to take a lot more time to rebuild it. But as a sourcebook and high-level campaign it looks fantastic.

Thanks for taking a look. The book sounds useful, at least for filling up an adventure. I know at least one of my players expressed interest in exploring the Nine Hells so I might see if they like the idea of book for higher level play.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

pseudosavior posted:

Okay, so, I'm currently reading through a PDF of the Sigil and the Outlands book that i... found, and I've gotta know: is the layout this chaotic and terrible in the physical book?

I'm seeing Headings of areas at the bottoms of pages with the main body on a different page, random roll tables split between two pages, artist attribution on a single line at the top of the page after the picture, fluff blurbs in the wrong place... It's just a cavalcade of layout-based gently caress ups.

Please, tell me this is merely an artifact of a quick conversion to PDF, and that the Actual Book That Trees Died For and People Paid Good Money For isn't this slipshod of a product.

Must be whoever made the pdf screwed up the Layout. Rather than scanning the physical book (It doesn’t have any of the issues you are reporting) my guess is the pdf maker exported the D&D Beyond version to PDF, which I have heard normally results in an odd layout.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!
Okay cool, that's what I figured.

Fun fact: there are 81 references to "see Morte's Planar Parade" in that book. Like, I get packaging the materials together, but that's a lot of cross-referencing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

Yeah, I am with you both. Why is this not a print release? I'd definitely pay $40-50 for a physical copy, but I'm not dropping $30 for a PDF.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I don't think this is something that has an easy fix (aside from deciding to be an agent of chaos who pulls the pin all the time) but today's D&D session made it really clear that my group enjoys coming up with ideas but it terrible at saying "okay so we do that". We kinda spun our wheels for half an hour after deciding what we were going to do, who was going to be a distraction and such, because nobody wanted to be the first one to fail a die roll. Probably because it felt like this was a pass/fail option in our goal (I'm sure the preprinted adventure has a "if the party has run out of time and failed every chance" option because it's the first setpiece and it's not Tomb of Horrors), but also just demeanor.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
Be the change you wanna see in the world

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

you son of a bitch!
Yeah, your group is lacking a fairly necessary ingredient: the "useful idiot" or "official trap-springer" is a fundamental facet of any adventuring party.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Bruceski posted:

We kinda spun our wheels for half an hour after deciding what we were going to do, who was going to be a distraction and such, because nobody wanted to be the first one to fail a die roll.

“Leeeeerrrrooooyyyy Jeeeeeenkins!”

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

I played a halfling paladin named Hup who was based off Don Quixote. I charged blindly into every possible danger. Did I nearly die because of getting stunned by a monster in a cave while my party was two rooms behind? Yes. Did I solve traps by setting them all off while my DM got increasingly grumpy? Yes. Did my party ever get stalled trying to figure out what to do? No!

You don't have to play dumb (but it's fun every once in a while) but it's important to have at least one PC who specializes in making actual decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I've had my party spend an entire session planning out a heist that they have subsequently beefed up almost immediately. Despite the fact that they got actual nothing done except planning the whole time they all said they really enjoyed that session. I was still able to participate as DM by fielding questions and making deliberately vague statements for them to mull over. IF everyone in the party is okay with it, I don't see a problem with eating up time on elaborate planning that will never work out.