Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am going to watch a football game between iowa and northwestern

Mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

leftist heap posted:

I watch virtually no basketball now but I watched about 1.5 quarters of the blazers last night and Shaedon Sharpe did some fun looking stuff

All other guards getting hurt seemingly unlocked his rear end

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Spacebump posted:

Tournament remains dumb. They should have had a multi week break in the season, reduced games, and had a big single elimination tourney either with a few foreign pro teams invited or with the winner being guaranteed a playin spot.

Yesterday's games were way better than average, what are you talking about? If it makes you feel better just pretend there's no tournament, if you don't care then the games count exactly like regular season games.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lockback posted:

Yesterday's games were way better than average, what are you talking about? If it makes you feel better just pretend there's no tournament, if you don't care then the games count exactly like regular season games.

The Mavs Nuggets game felt like a normal regular season game with a worse court. The tournament is just branding designed to get people who don't watch the NBA until football ends to watch earlier.

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1720494938905792633

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He is a bad example tbf

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
He’s just being honest, it’s real dumb and who cares

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Spacebump posted:

The Mavs Nuggets game felt like a normal regular season game with a worse court. The tournament is just branding designed to get people who don't watch the NBA until football ends to watch earlier.

https://twitter.com/TheDunkCentral/status/1720494938905792633

It was literally the only game that wasn’t great last night and you’re just grumpy that your team got shrugged aside

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The NBA gdt thread had like 500 posts for a Friday night in November which is kinda crazy, so I guess we're just a bunch of NFL fans who don't really watch the NBA.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Imo the in season tournament should just be division tournaments. The cascadia cup during the mls season is at least fun and different from playoffs. Also you'd have a winner for each division, spread out the love a little.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I watched 3 games last night (Milwaukee, okc, Portland) and they were all incredible

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Wow this is taken out of context. He was being asked about basic principles of team defense.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Spacebump posted:

Luka and Jokic go for 34/10/8 and 33/14/9 and you're complaining?? It wasn't exactly ~playoff atmosphere~ but it wasn't quite a normal regular season game either.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Imo the in season tournament should just be division tournaments. The cascadia cup during the mls season is at least fun and different from playoffs. Also you'd have a winner for each division, spread out the love a little.

Sure but it's cool they're trying something, they can always adjust it even set it up differently every year. Early results seem like it's slightly more interesting basketball which is a great result.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Speaking of Dallas @ Denver, I thought an interesting narrative from that game was Luka getting MPJ switched on him a million times and it just not working at all. dnvr put out a quick article about it: https://thednvr.com/how-michael-porter-jr-shut-down-luka-doncic-and-the-mavs-offense/

edit: the first clip in this is really egregious on Luka, he misses a shot and just turns around and stands there while the guy who contested his shot gets the two most free points of his career:

https://twitter.com/MattBrooksNBA/status/1720685546253480161

kingcobweb fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 4, 2023

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Yeah I have no idea why you'd make new east and west "groups" when that's literally what divisions are already. Play up those rivalries!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

kingcobweb posted:

Luka and Jokic go for 34/10/8 and 33/14/9 and you're complaining?? It wasn't exactly ~playoff atmosphere~ but it wasn't quite a normal regular season game either.

That's basically what Luka is averaging rn.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

embiid trying to flop on a play where he elbowed a guy in the face, today, was very funny

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

Speaking of Dallas @ Denver, I thought an interesting narrative from that game was Luka getting MPJ switched on him a million times and it just not working at all. dnvr put out a quick article about it: https://thednvr.com/how-michael-porter-jr-shut-down-luka-doncic-and-the-mavs-offense/

edit: the first clip in this is really egregious on Luka, he misses a shot and just turns around and stands there while the guy who contested his shot gets the two most free points of his career:

https://twitter.com/MattBrooksNBA/status/1720685546253480161

thanks for this, definitely impressive. mpj stays down and his length really bothers luka. He also forces him left a lot

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The answer to fixing the tournament is a guaranteed playin spot. Playin teams are already below 500 on the season, so if a team wants to win and coast all season, let them. BUT the playin token should be tradable including post deadline.

Good teams who will make the playoffs can use it to make a trade that bolsters their playoff roster and bad teams can use it to shock the world or get a draft pick or whatever.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

a new study bible! posted:

The answer to fixing the tournament is a guaranteed playin spot. Playin teams are already below 500 on the season, so if a team wants to win and coast all season, let them. BUT the playin token should be tradable including post deadline.

Good teams who will make the playoffs can use it to make a trade that bolsters their playoff roster and bad teams can use it to shock the world or get a draft pick or whatever.

my thought was to have the incentive be tied to end of season record:

teams 1-6: pick your first round opponent
teams 7-10: guaranteed playoff appearance (knocks team 6 into play in)
teams 11-15: guaranteed playin spot (and you keep your lottery pick/odds even if you win the play in)

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Guaranteeing a playin spot will add stakes and tension but that’s how you get the Washington Wizards in the playin tournament. Do you want the Washington Wizards in the playin tournament

poo poo, I’m imagining some galaxy brain strategy of the Clips going all in on the tournament and then shutting down Leonard and PG for 4 months

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

aBagorn posted:

my thought was to have the incentive be tied to end of season record:

teams 1-6: pick your first round opponent
teams 7-10: guaranteed playoff appearance (knocks team 6 into play in)
teams 11-15: guaranteed playin spot (and you keep your lottery pick/odds even if you win the play in)

This is a good idea.

Being able to trade a playoff spot is a very bad idea. I think this early even good teams would be happy to lockin at least a play in spot, and it's not like they'd coast.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
How do you convince the playoff teams to try harder though?? My idea: you get an extra home game in the first round. So if a team wins then they’re seed five through eight, they have HCA; if they’re seed four through one, they have five home games out of seven in the first round

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Guaranteeing a playin spot will add stakes and tension but that’s how you get the Washington Wizards in the playin tournament. Do you want the Washington Wizards in the playin tournament

yes, as soon as i read that post my first thought was "it'd be so cool if someone won the tournament then traded the token to Washington"

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Why are you guys all trying to fix something that we've seen about 5% of, and that 5% was really fun?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

because all of those people hated it the minute it was announced and then spent 3 months preparing to hate it once it actually launched

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Don't understand why the prize is never money. There are guys on 10-20 mil a year contracts that would still ball the gently caress out if there was like 20 mil on the line for every team.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The prize is money

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Doltos posted:

Don't understand why the prize is never money. There are guys on 10-20 mil a year contracts that would still ball the gently caress out if there was like 20 mil on the line for every team.

the team owners should pony up the money and have to personally pay each individual member of the team that beat them after every game.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

xbilkis posted:

The prize is money

I know nothing of the in season tournament, it is revealed

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

xbilkis posted:

The prize is money

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://youtube.com/watch?v=IiFUt5jtwlY

here’s a vlog from a french blogboy traveling to see wembys debut

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
The final should count as a chance for an extra win on the season instead of existing in purgatory.

Also, the final should have all in arena tickets paid for by the nba and given out by raffle to fans of both teams.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

When LeBron won in Cleveland it was revealed that he still used a free pandora account.

Tournament winners get free Spotify premium accounts

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

tanglewood1420 posted:

Why are you guys all trying to fix something that we've seen about 5% of, and that 5% was really fun?

I think it’s fun and think it should be even more so

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

I think it’s fun and think it should be even more so

yeah this basically. i'm hype for the nba cup. the more we get soccer type poo poo in the US the better. i just think some tweaks to the incentives would get more buy in from teams and players, which will filter out to how they promote it and get that excitement out to the fans

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Teams should make the most gauche, ugly jerseys and court they can for the tournament because history shows that people eat that poo poo up

Yes, I have a neon lime green Atlanta jersey why do you ask

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

Teams should make the most gauche, ugly jerseys and court they can for the tournament because history shows that people eat that poo poo up

Yes, I have a neon lime green Atlanta jersey why do you ask

exactly, the pelicans understood the assignment, idk why nobody else did

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A guaranteed playin token that is fully tradable to until that trade deadline and expires immediately after is actually a really good idea from a chaos perspective and makes the playin even more intriguing and gets good teams trying hard early on because of the new tax aprons

True harmony with everything the league is trying to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

WhyteRyce posted:

A guaranteed playin token that is fully tradable to until that trade deadline and expires immediately after is actually a really good idea from a chaos perspective and makes the playin even more intriguing and gets good teams trying hard early on because of the new tax aprons

True harmony with everything the league is trying to do

It will be so funny with the Knicks or Wizards trade the pick that becomes the next Kawhi or Jimmy Butler for the privilege of getting swept in an obliteration not seen since the Dream Team.