Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

otter posted:

Do you need to have played Star ocean 1 to enjoy Star ocean 2?
I keep confusing it with Star tropics.
All you really need to know is provided within Star Ocean 2 itself. Claude, one of the two main characters you can choose for the game's "route" (largely the same events but there's a few mutually exclusive scenes and full-time party members), is the son of two of Star Ocean 1's playable cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

maybeadracula posted:

I was with you until this

Are people playing Mario games and just ... walking

I think there was maybe one or two moments in the entire game where I wasn't holding Y
No, no, I run all the time; but you don't have to run all the time. You can ease off the gas to course correct, reconsider a tricky jump, shake your hand out if you need to. With these advancing levels you can't let off, and since death means starting over from the beginning you slowly start to grip the control harder and harder after multiple prolonged attempts in sequence.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like a sense of pacing is part of Mario's skill set. For example, triple jumps don't work unless you move a certain pace forward, I think. Or stuff like side flips don't work certain ways. That might be part of why it's trickier for you.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Hogama posted:

All you really need to know is provided within Star Ocean 2 itself. Claude, one of the two main characters you can choose for the game's "route" (largely the same events but there's a few mutually exclusive scenes and full-time party members), is the son of two of Star Ocean 1's playable cast.

No idea why but now I want to play phantasy star 2.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bad Seafood posted:

No, no, I run all the time; but you don't have to run all the time. You can ease off the gas to course correct, reconsider a tricky jump, shake your hand out if you need to. With these advancing levels you can't let off, and since death means starting over from the beginning you slowly start to grip the control harder and harder after multiple prolonged attempts in sequence.

skill issue ?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm bad, but I'd prefer it if my badness wasn't reinforced by a physical discomfort that ensures the longer I'm bad the more bad I am.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Notable November releases:

11-1-2023 Song of Nunu: A League of Legends Story ($29.99)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPJ6yByBNXU
A young boy teams up with a yeti and goes on a 3d platforming adventure. Set in the LoL universe, I guess. E for everyone

11-02-2023 My Time at Sandrock ($39.99)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpBS8qyZPdU
Some kind of farm/town sim set in the desert. E for evertyone

11-02-2023 STAR Ocean Second Story R ($49.99, DEMO AVAILABLE)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I73VNmmt8w
Remake of an old JRPG, with a new 2.5D aesthetic and QoL additions like fast travel. Probably has some overwrought anime poo poo too. T for Teen

11-02-2023 The Smurfs 2 - The Prisoner of the Green Stone ($39.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ow7y6Y9IUc
this came out of left field for me...it looks actually kinda good? Has kind of a Rachet and Clank vibe, from the trailer. 3rd person shooter from the perspective of being three apples high. Probably a typical middling, just sorta there game, but I was surprised at the presentation. Might be worth checking out? E for everyone

11-03-2023 Fashion Dreamer ($44.99 digital until 11/21/2023, $49.99 physical)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw2lMtClsZ0
Enjoy fashion to your heart's content, and try becoming and influencer, sharing your favorite things with everyone. E for everyone.

11-03-2023 Ebenezer and the Invisible World ($19.99)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sMLNW0q5BU
Sequel to A Christmas Carol. Looks like Ebenezer has learned his lesson and now fights for the proletariats, summoning ghost allies to aid him in a metroidvania. Just as Dickens had always envisioned. E for everyone

11-03-2023 WarioWare™: Move It! (49.99)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25n15yvg8SI
Wario's back for another game of microgame lunacy! Behold his new voice actor! I imagine lots of joycon motion controls in this one. E for everyone

11-04-2023 SUPER CRAZY RHYTHM CASTLE $39.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgjqEmqLxfc
Time your button presses to music to do attacks or jump or solve puzzles. 4 player vs and coop, local or online. Includes some Konami songs. Konami, huh? *sideeyes* E for everyone

11-14-2023 Hogwarts Legacy ($59.99, $69.99 for deluxe)
Can't find a trailer video. Apparently the switch version has lesser graphics than the ps4 version, if you're concerned hit up youtube (do your own research!!). I never got into this wizard nerd poo poo anyway. T for teen

11-17-2023 Super Mario RPG™ ($59.99)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_kuPoLw9Wc
Lots of hype for this game, early previews/hands on have all been quite positive from what I've seen. I never played the original, might need to add this to the backlog

11-17-2023 Persona 5 Tactica ($59.99 or $79.99 for digital)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzyWmfrNVsU
I love a good tactics game! I guess the persona 5 crew are in chibi mode here, dunno what the plot is. T for teen

11-17-2023 Bluey: the Videogame ($39.99)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05ST8IN0M9o
Some game based on a kids' show. E for everyone

WHY BONER NOW fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 5, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Didn’t know Tactica was rated T, guess our good friends Mara and Incubus aren’t joining us this time

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

There's an Ebenezer Scrooge Metroidvania that looks cool

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hi. Mario wonder is good.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished bowser’s fury. that was very silly

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I traded in my copy of Mario 3d World (and Super Mario Party) to get TotK for $25 before I had a chance to play through Bowser’s Fury

In retrospect, this seems to have been a Bad Idea

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

hatty posted:

Didn’t know Tactica was rated T, guess our good friends Mara and Incubus aren’t joining us this time

like, if an M game or R movie has a kid version to get them into the franchise, pretty standard, but why go with a Tactics RPG thing for that? Im guessing theyre taking their cues from Mario + Rabbids which has me more interested now

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There's an Ebenezer Scrooge Metroidvania that looks cool

Ha! I edited it into my post, it looks pretty neat!

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

That Harry Potter game can barely hit 30fps on the Steam Deck at rock bottom potato graphics settings so curious to see how the Switch version fares

I got the PS5 version for my wife and it was…fine? It looks nice and plays like a decent modern action RPG but I’m struggling to remember much about it

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 5, 2023

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

WHY BONER NOW posted:

11-02-2023 My Time at Sandrock ($39.99)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpBS8qyZPdU
Some kind of farm/town sim set in the desert. E for evertyone

Also don’t know anything about this game but the way the letters are stylized it really looks like My Time at Sandkock

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Bouillon Rube posted:

Also don’t know anything about this game but the way the letters are stylized it really looks like My Time at Sandkock

I guess if you consider the S becomes a letter that doesn't exist and the k at the end becomes a y sure?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I’m sure there is a joke about throwing ropes in there somewhere.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Thats how you connect with other players on the internet.

A strand game if you will

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bouillon Rube posted:

That Harry Potter game can barely hit 30fps on the Steam Deck at rock bottom potato graphics settings so curious to see how the Switch version fares

I got the PS5 version for my wife and it was…fine? It looks nice and plays like a decent modern action RPG but I’m struggling to remember much about it

The switch version is an actual port that they’ve been working on for a long time whereas the steam deck is just brute-forcing the PC version. I’m certain that the switch version will run better, even though it’s gonna look bad.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Finally, a game for me and my bros!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
3D World is hosed up

https://twitter.com/MarioBrothBlog/status/1721189762189406467?s=20

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Best thing about Cumbros is that when they announced it and everyone laughed at the logo, they changed it to a lowercase i so it looks less like cum.

It’s still cum to me though, damnit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

got my 1.5 TB sd card and spent the last two days redownloading my library

350GB left and i have mk11 and 3 nba2ks on my switch lol

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Anyone have experience with the 8bitdo Arcade Stick? Thinking about getting one for some old arcade games.

Also worried hoping it’ll work in the Switch 2

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

got my 1.5 TB sd card and spent the last two days redownloading my library

350GB left and i have mk11 and 3 nba2ks on my switch lol

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

lmao at playing one nba2k

Or even an nba1k

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If Nintendo asked me for input for the Switch 2 I’d tell them I want to have two games loaded at once. If I could hop between Pikmin and Splatoon as easily as I can pick up my Switch and be where I left off that’d be so good enough for me.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah every console should have quick resume. It’s a really cool feature on my Xboxn

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I can tell that Star Ocean 2 R is faithful remake because I got loving wrecked by those gargoyle bosses.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

So is Switch 2 just two switches taped together?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

It’s four Switches on the edge of a cliff.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Have you considered four cliffs on the edge of a switch?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

sponges posted:

Anyone have experience with the 8bitdo Arcade Stick? Thinking about getting one for some old arcade games.

Also worried hoping it’ll work in the Switch 2

I have one, it works out pretty nicely. Buttons do feel kinda cheap, but they're easy to swap out if you want. I put in Sanwa buttons and made mine Super Famicom//SNES themed.

It is a bit small, especially on the left side, so you won't really be able to rest your arm on it if you're used to that with other sticks. While it's sturdy, it's also fairly light, mostly due from the missing space to the left you'd find on more expensive sticks, so if you go hard with arcade stuff it's somewhat easier to jostle around. I ended up putting some weights inside the case to help prevent that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have one of those Pandora Box things for arcade emulation, but drat that arcade stick looks pretty swish. The fact you can’t buy one that works across all platforms is super irritating though :/

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Novasol posted:

I have one, it works out pretty nicely. Buttons do feel kinda cheap, but they're easy to swap out if you want. I put in Sanwa buttons and made mine Super Famicom//SNES themed.

It is a bit small, especially on the left side, so you won't really be able to rest your arm on it if you're used to that with other sticks. While it's sturdy, it's also fairly light, mostly due from the missing space to the left you'd find on more expensive sticks, so if you go hard with arcade stuff it's somewhat easier to jostle around. I ended up putting some weights inside the case to help prevent that.

Nice look. I went with all blue for my buttons but man getting a solid metal balltop is just so neat, clear looks cool as hell though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

the switch 2 is whatever you want it to be, like sure that's a patent but don't forget sony has a patent for "interactive commercial system that allows viewers to skip commercials by yelling the brand name of the advertiser at their television or monitor."

edit: apparently this almost 20 year old patent just went viral this year, man i'd like to be someone that didn't know about this thing for the last decade

Len fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Nov 6, 2023