Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Al-Saqr posted:

they gave some statistics, it weighs 3 kilograms, 50 CM tall 105 mm wide, it was made in Gaza, and they say it can penetrate 60 cm of hard steel armor.

Err...That seems a bit...much?

Like, how many tanks drive around with 1,97 feet of armor plating?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SerthVarnee posted:

None, but any modern AFV is going to have composite and/or spaced armor specifically designed to defeat shaped charges like that, so some overkill is warranted.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Fair enough.

It just struck me as looking fairly comical to have a honking great slab of steel screeching around like a up-armored Warhammer 40k metal box.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

SerthVarnee posted:

Fair enough.

It just struck me as looking fairly comical to have a honking great slab of steel screeching around like a up-armored Warhammer 40k metal box.

Merkava is fairly close analogy to a Land Raider so sure why not.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Armor penetration values are often given in a number relative to just plain steel (also known as RHA, or rolled homogeneous armor). The actual materials used in the construction of vehicle armor will often be stronger or offer more protection than RHA, meaning more (less?) bang for your buck.

At least, that's what I learned from War Thunder.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

SerthVarnee posted:

Modern composite armors can be equivalent to like 5x of 1940's Battleship Rolled Homogeneous Steel Armor. That wouldn't be enough if for example you set it on the Front Glacis.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SerthVarnee posted:

RPG-7 has penetration values of 500-750 mm depending on warhead.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7#Specifications

These are all wikipedia numbers, but a Leo 2 has estimated 600-1000 mm frontal armor, measured in rolled homogeneous armor equivalent, RHAe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_2#Armour_protection_estimates

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Next question:
If the explosion is delivered by hand placing it on a target, wouldn't the majority of the explosion go away from the object or if shaped right, propel the explosive away from the object if it isn't secured well enough?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

SerthVarnee posted:

Next question:
If the explosion is delivered by hand placing it on a target, wouldn't the majority of the explosion go away from the object or if shaped right, propel the explosive away from the object if it isn't secured well enough?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaped_charge

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Neat! Thanks a bunch!

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

sharing this since you guys are military heads

Qassam put out an informational video about their hand-placed anti-tank weapon, why they use it and it's specifications, along with a demonstration. along with footage of several merkavas being knocked out by it.

https://x.com/TurkiShalhoub/status/1720466927519244734?s=20

it's made to be placed right next to the merkavas munitions magazine.

they gave some statistics, it weighs 3 kilograms, 50 CM tall 105 mm wide, it was made in Gaza, and they say it can penetrate 60 cm of hard steel armor.

so it's not a weapon of desperation its on purpose to be placed by hand.

and if they wanted to be especially cheeky, they could say that because they attack the ammo magazine (with its ammo explosion blow off panels), that they are minimising human casualties - the crew should survive.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

I talked to guy who as a young man tossed a can of white paint on the engine deck of tank and that lights up just fine. At the time the Russian troops didnt think much of a boy hauling around milk pales.

Oh yeah, modern tanks surely are better protected. One of the main functions of the molotovs was to obscure the tanks vision with smoke. They had some tar and oil mixed in with gasoline to produce heavy smoke. Then it could be destroyed with explosives or hope that the crew panics and abandons the vehicle.

E: And even back then the casualty rates for these tank destroyer crews was really high, I have a figure of 75% somewhere in my mind but that is very [citation needed]. I imagine against modern tanks it would be even worse.

bad_fmr fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 3, 2023

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Electric Wrigglies posted:

and if they wanted to be especially cheeky, they could say that because they attack the ammo magazine (with its ammo explosion blow off panels), that they are minimising human casualties - the crew should survive.

Comedy option-it braces in the gap for the rear access door, so it also blocks exit from that direction. (I can't remember exactly how those doors open. Also not sure if I would want to egress right past the ammo bins cooking off. Pretty sure all that excitement wouldn't end up with a piece blocking whatever is left.)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Israel bombed an ambulance convoy and in an entirely separate attack, a convoy of civilians

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/11/3/israel-hamas-war-live-israeli-forces-gather-outside-gaza-city

e] also bombed another school

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Nov 3, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Israel bombed an ambulance convoy and in an entirely separate attack, a convoy of civilians

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/liveblog/2023/11/3/israel-hamas-war-live-israeli-forces-gather-outside-gaza-city

e] also bombed another school

No :( not ok

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Based on the last clip of the Merkava brewing up I’m not sure that’s the case here.

Smoke pouring out the barrel while a huge jet of flame shoots out of your tank is usually a bad sign.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

You're quite right, the last one looks like a proper, entire tank brew up. I didn't expect that at all.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
MSF is furious

quote:

"We were standing inside the hospital gate when the ambulance was directly hit in front of us. There were bloody bodies everywhere. Many were killed immediately, while we rushed others to the operating room for emergency care,” says Dr Obaid, MSF doctor at Al Shifa hospital."

The deadly attack outside the gate of Al-Shifa hospital impacting an ambulance is horrendous. This is a lethal attack outside Gaza's main and busiest hospital, where our staff work daily to provide lifesaving medical care.

We have repeatedly called for an immediate and total ceasefire, for the protection of healthcare facilities, as well as medics, patients and people who are taking shelter there.

This is a new low in an endless stream of unconscionable violence. The repeated strikes on hospitals, ambulances, densely populated areas and refugee camps are disgraceful. How many people have to die before world leaders wake up and call for a ceasefire?

^From MSF's twitter, which I'm not linking because it has a picture of the aftermath of the ambulance strike

Lebanon-Israeli border appears to be escalating, too, though who knows how far that will go.

In other news, a large number of USAID folks are very unhappy, too.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2023/11/03/usaid-gaza-cease-fire-israel-airstrike-hamas/

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 4, 2023

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Laughing Zealot posted:

It can't be a good sign for the Israeli army that they've barely started to operate in Gaza and already there are 17 soldiers dead.

It's not indicative of anything. 17 dudes can die in a single relatively small accident during peacetime. Our perception of "normal" casualty rates is super hosed in the US.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Some of the videos from Syria of that were absolutely nuts. I remember one where the grenade rolled back out of the barrel after the dude ran off, so he just waited like a minute and ran back and hucked another one in :stare:

I was just talking about this at work a couple days ago.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Nov 4, 2023

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
IDF soldier: "What, so if the Hamas raid had crossed the border in ambulances instead of technicals, we'd have had to sit on our hands while they murdered us??"

*uses an advanced drone to track a Gaza ambulance in hi-res 8k, watching it pick up injured children from the unrecognizable devastation of their home, then make its way to the front gates of a hospital overwhelmed with abject human suffering*

IDF soldier: "Would you constrain our ability to defend ourselves from extermination??!"

*reaches lazily toward a big red button, waiting for responders to rush towards the incoming emergency vehicle before pressing it. Outside the hospital, the lives of the last members of a once large family are snuffed out, alongside those desperately trying to save them*

IDF soldier: "These barbarians only understand violence."

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cugel the Clever posted:

IDF soldier: "What, so if the Hamas raid had crossed the border in ambulances instead of technicals, we'd have had to sit on our hands while they murdered us??"

*uses an advanced drone to track a Gaza ambulance in hi-res 8k, watching it pick up injured children from the unrecognizable devastation of their home, then make its way to the front gates of a hospital overwhelmed with abject human suffering*

IDF soldier: "Would you constrain our ability to defend ourselves from extermination??!"

*reaches lazily toward a big red button, waiting for responders to rush towards the incoming emergency vehicle before pressing it. Outside the hospital, the lives of the last members of a once large family are snuffed out, alongside those desperately trying to save them*

IDF soldier: "These barbarians only understand violence."

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I remain confident that there is zero possible way that the biden administration hitching their foreign policy to netanyahu's judgement and the IDF's restraint could ever backfire spectacularly

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I remain confident that there is zero possible way that the biden administration hitching their foreign policy to netanyahu's judgement and the IDF's restraint could ever backfire spectacularly

I don't think he's really doing that though. He's publicly supporting Israel in every way while quietly slowing the invasion, negotiating the return of hostages and now starting to talk a "pause".

You might ask at what number of slaughtered innocents will the US do something concrete to stop it and yeah that could be a ways off. But I don't get the impression that the US will back Bibi through thick and thin, rather the opposite.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
hey guys, I dont know what the policy is about posting combat footage of tanks getting blown up, so I wont post it, however on aljazeera, hamas just released what I can only describe as some of the most insane combat footage I have ever seen

1) they say in the last 24 hours hamas destroyed 25 IDF vehicles and tanks.

2) they announces that they're using a TBG RPG, which is a thermobaric missile that is essentially a room clearing RPG to clear out entire rooms of IDF whenever they try to set up frontal operating bases. Along with footage of operatives going out of a tunnel, spotting an IDF unit set up in an apartment room, then using said Thermobaric munitions to light the room up completely then the strike team made it back to their tunnels.

3) he then shows a bunch of clips of Hamas fighters constantly getting to within 15 feet or zero distance of several israeli tanks and destroying them, including the latest billion dollar merkavas, absolutely insane footage. they are always at point blank range. it's loving insane.

4) one of the shots is a hamas fighter CLIMBING AN IDF BULLDOZER , lighting it on fire and planting a flag on it.

None of the IDF tanks have infantry around them at all, literal sitting ducks. there's like five tanks in a row, and the hamas guys can walk to within 15 feet and shoot all of them.

I'll post pure military updates here, because I'm very curious what the military types here think of this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

A lot of people here tend to avoid detailed descriptions of stuff due to potentially causing issues with trauma, a fair amount of people here have gotten shot at/shot at people.

As long as you're not posting combat cam videos and avoiding posting gore, you can talk about the situation in Gaza just fine. Just don't go too detailed about how people got killed or describe the exact condition of dead people and you're fine.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

orange juche posted:

A lot of people here tend to avoid detailed descriptions of stuff due to potentially causing issues with trauma, a fair amount of people here have gotten shot at/shot at people.

As long as you're not posting combat cam videos and avoiding posting gore, you can talk about the situation in Gaza just fine. Just don't go too detailed about how people got killed or describe the exact condition of dead people and you're fine.

Ok noted thanks

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

hey guys, I dont know what the policy is about posting combat footage of tanks getting blown up, so I wont post it, however on aljazeera, hamas just released what I can only describe as some of the most insane combat footage I have ever seen

I'll post pure military updates here, because I'm very curious what the military types here think of this.

So here's the thing: Hamas has zero ability to confront the IDF in any sort of conventional fight. There have no capacity to mass force, no operational manoeuvre, there will be no great Ukrainian style counter attack of the likes that swept Russia away from Kyiv and Kharkiv. All they can do is try and inflict attrition on the IDF as it advances and try to make that advance as painful as possible such that Israel decides the price is too horrible to continue - hence why all the videos of tanks getting attacked. But that footage is all ambushes and raids, Hamas isn't fighting the IDF to a standstill anywhere and on the map it looks like they've successfully isolated northern Gaza while continuing to smash from the air anywhere that looks like a Hamas member might have breathed recently.

So taking Hamas' claims at full value, they've taken out 25 vehicles in order to inflict ~30 dead and unknown wounded the IDF have admitted to, to which if we assume the IDF plan is to explicitly put vehicles at risk in order to minimise the risk to their infantry means the fight is probably going pretty much according to Israel's plan. So far. This is week one of a very slow and deliberate campaign where Israel is clearly trying to exhaust Hamas before pushing seriously into the built up areas and I suspect there's probably a long way to go before we see how it will all play out.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

3) he then shows a bunch of clips of Hamas fighters constantly getting to within 15 feet or zero distance of several israeli tanks and destroying them, including the latest billion dollar merkavas, absolutely insane footage. they are always at point blank range. it's loving insane.
I found it hard to tell because the videos would cut so quickly TikTok style. There would be an impact and the shooter would book it, but it's not clear if they destroyed the vehicles or they just shrugged it off. Those Namers are hulks, they weigh more than 60 metric tons. Some of them surely get through though. There was a GoPro from an IDF tank that had their Trophy systems activated and they were just detonating RPG rounds in mid-air but it would kinda look like an impact because the way the Trophy works.

It's a real fight and hell if I know what's going on but Hamas also intends these videos for propaganda and morale-boosting purposes and I don't think too many shooters are sticking around after letting their rockets fly to see the results.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Nov 4, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Alchenar posted:

So here's the thing: Hamas has zero ability to confront the IDF in any sort of conventional fight. There have no capacity to mass force, no operational manoeuvre, there will be no great Ukrainian style counter attack of the likes that swept Russia away from Kyiv and Kharkiv. All they can do is try and inflict attrition on the IDF as it advances and try to make that advance as painful as possible such that Israel decides the price is too horrible to continue - hence why all the videos of tanks getting attacked. But that footage is all ambushes and raids, [...] This is week one of a very slow and deliberate campaign where Israel is clearly trying to exhaust Hamas before pushing seriously into the built up areas and I suspect there's probably a long way to go before we see how it will all play out.

So how do you think this ends?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Quackles posted:

Well the IDF is trying to go do some genocide and the US isn't stopping them... sooooo....

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I found it hard to tell because the videos would cut so quickly TikTok style. There would be an impact and the shooter would book it, but it's not clear if they destroyed the vehicles or they just shrugged it off. Those Namers are hulks, they weigh more than 60 metric tons. Some of them surely get through though. There was a GoPro from an IDF tank that had their Trophy systems activated and they were just detonating RPG rounds in mid-air but it would kinda look like an impact because the way the Trophy works.

It's a real fight and hell if I know what's going on but Hamas also intends these videos for propaganda and morale-boosting purposes and I don't think too many shooters are sticking around after letting their rockets fly to see the results.

I've seen some videos of Hamas doing a lot of classic Middle East combat tactics like the "Stand in the middle of the street with an RPG and get gunned down" so I'm gonna hazard a guess that they aren't faring too well themselves.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Quackles posted:

I have absolutely no idea because it seems entirely possible that public opinion in Israel is so hard over that nothing short of completely dismantling Hamas will do, which will have... significant demographic consequences for Gaza.

But if that's not the case, then what we are witnessing is some complex game theory playing out over how much fighting needs to happen before the hostages get released and a return to something akin to status quo ante with both sides considering honour satisfied.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Hamas right now firing pretty much everything they have left, could have decided it was use it or lose it

https://twitter.com/manniefabian/status/1720895252171461117

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Quackles posted:

It seems unlikely that the world has the willpower to cease this genocide.

Outside of severe international pressure to cease this tragedy--pressure that is completely failing to materialize right now--I cannot practicably guess under what circumstances the Israeli State is going to stop.

Edit: come to think of it, I haven't seen any level-headed reporter or party propose a way that this could end without the US wanting it to end. The Security Council veto is an extremely powerful procedural pass, and US funding and arms export is a massive boon. A lot of other western states seem to have politically opened a path for carte blanche reprisal against Hamas and "Hamas."

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 5, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Potato Salad posted:

Edit: come to think of it, I haven't seen any sensible reporter or party propose a way that this could end without the US wanting it to end. The Security Council veto is an extremely powerful procedural pass, and a lot of Western States seem to have politically opened a path for essentially carte blanche reprisal against Hamas and "Hamas."

Yeah. There was that whole business with the US vetoing the ceasefire.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah my guess is there's no way to a non-genocidal end to the conflict without the US and the other major powers buying into some version of BDS.

E: VVV oh I'm well aware, I just fail to see an alternative

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 5, 2023

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah my guess is there's no way to a non-genocidal end to the conflict without the US and the other major powers buying into some version of BDS.

That is such a non-starter politically in the US there are literally some state laws prohibiting BDS-style boycotts of Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-BDS_laws#Anti-BDS_laws_in_the_United_States

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'd look at the withdrawal of support for KSA over the war in Yemen as probably the more relevant example and while it can't be compared 1:1 as the US's relationship with Israel is different from that with KSA, but also the plight of Palestinians is generally much more of a thing Americans are aware of than Yemen. Hell, I'm still kind of blown away that Americans ever gave a gently caress about the suffering of civilians in Yemen, but it makes me a tiny bit optimistic, too.

Interestingly Israel generally assesses that their single biggest risk is losing popular American support.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'd look at the withdrawal of support for KSA over the war in Yemen as probably the more relevant example and while it can't be compared 1:1 as the US's relationship with Israel is different from that with KSA, but also the plight of Palestinians is generally much more of a thing Americans are aware of than Yemen. Hell, I'm still kind of blown away that Americans ever gave a gently caress about the suffering of civilians in Yemen, but it makes me a tiny bit optimistic, too.

Interestingly Israel generally assesses that their single biggest risk is losing popular American support.

well yeah, the instant they don't have the backing of the USA the entire middle east flattens them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Woops wrong thread sorry