Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

CommieGIR posted:

He pays her, so no, its not quite indentured servitude. Indentured Servitude, you don't get paid, but you are not 'enslaved' either. Her repayment comes out of her own pocket from their earnings. In fact he specifically calls out that she spends a large portion of her income on alcohol rather than paying him back.

Isn't that just a company town with extra steps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Spookydonut posted:

Isn't that just a company town with extra steps?

No, because he pays them in the actual local currency, not in company scrip or something they cannot redeem anywhere else.

Hiro also straight up says they can leave at any time. That's neither indentured servitude nor slavery. In a thread where there is tons of stories with ACTUAL slaves, you guys sure are twisting this one.
You guys are aware you are in the isekai thread, right?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 5, 2023

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I don’t really get the hype for Space Isekai but I just re-watched Outlaw Star like two weeks ago so maybe it’s because I’m comparing it to that.

Unrelated but I feel like having the antagonist of a fantasy series be an isekai’d person or group of people is an under-utilized concept. Star Ocean 3 kind of goes that route, if I’m remembering right. Hard to search for this kind of thing, since a bunch of edgelords want an isekai’d villain protagonist when I search for “isekai’d villain”. Overlord has had a few bits and pieces to where it shifts to someone else’s perspective who has to deal with Ainz, for instance. But what if that was the whole deal? Any suggestions for a series where the villain or villains are the reincarnated in another world folks instead of the hero or heroes?

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I definitely don't think of Mimi or Elma being slaves. I do think that Mimi felt obligated to sleep with him because he paid off her debt and that was a bit scummy, even if the author did try to use the excuse that "she was scared of abandonment and he slept with her to make her feel better". Thankfully after that bit they settle down quite a bit and become more... natural together. It's not the best premise to get together but at least Hiro never seems to get too creepy about it. He even admits he was worried they were with him out of obligation and not actually in a relationship.

Now, Elma? That was 100% on her. He flat out admitted he wanted her as an experienced mercenary, backup pilot, and made sure to explain to her that she'd be repaying him over time. As far as Hiro's concerned he told her he wanted her around as a crew member more than anything else, and the decision to sleep with him was her choice.

I can see how it does compare unfavorably to slavery as in both their cases he cleared their debts, and gave them a place to stay which they couldn't really refuse as they had nowhere else to go, but at the very least he did try to impress upon them both there were no expectations of anything. Mimi's introduction though is why I mentioned in my post without it that it's not without flaws.

Then again it may just be a case of definition. I think of Slavery mostly as 'ownership' and Hiro definitely does not have ownership of either girl, legally or otherwise. They're both free to leave should they choose and even if Elma does owe him money he'd be OK with her paying him back another way if possible. But on the flip side to that since they lack other means by which to make money and in Mimi's case lack any other caregivers or means of support, there's a strong argument for her being somewhat trapped on his ship for lack of any other options, so I could see how that'd absolutely look bad.

khy fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 5, 2023

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

khy posted:

I definitely don't think of Mimi or Elma being slaves. I do think that Mimi felt obligated to sleep with him because he paid off her debt and that was a bit scummy, even if the author did try to use the excuse that "she was scared of abandonment and he slept with her to make her feel better". Thankfully after that bit they settle down quite a bit and become more... natural together. It's not the best premise to get together but at least Hiro never seems to get too creepy about it. He even admits he was worried they were with him out of obligation and not actually in a relationship.

Now, Elma? That was 100% on her. He flat out admitted he wanted her as an experienced mercenary, backup pilot, and made sure to explain to her that she'd be repaying him over time. As far as Hiro's concerned he told her he wanted her around as a crew member more than anything else, and the decision to sleep with him was her choice.

I can see how it does compare unfavorably to slavery as in both their cases he cleared their debts, and gave them a place to stay which they couldn't really refuse as they had nowhere else to go, but at the very least he did try to impress upon them both there were no expectations of anything. Mimi's introduction though is why I mentioned in my post without it that it's not without flaws.

Then again it may just be a case of definition. I think of Slavery mostly as 'ownership' and Hiro definitely does not have ownership of either girl, legally or otherwise. They're both free to leave should they choose and even if Elma does owe him money he'd be OK with her paying him back another way if possible. But on the flip side to that since they lack other means by which to make money and in Mimi's case lack any other caregivers or means of support, there's a strong argument for her being somewhat trapped on his ship for lack of any other options, so I could see how that'd absolutely look bad.

Elma's ship still exists and she is getting it repaired, so there's a possibility at a later time Elma might split (I kind of doubt she will, in fact Elma brings up the possibility of them using some of their winnings to form a fleet).

My beef is that Mimi gets only a paltry 0.5% of the rewards initially (although this goes up as she gets her certifications later) and I think Elma expresses some dismay over Mimi's share as well.

Yeah, its flawed (nearly all the major Isekais are) but frankly its far, far better than most are.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
arguing about the semantics of slavery ftmfw

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

My beef is that Mimi gets only a paltry 0.5% of the rewards initially (although this goes up as she gets her certifications later) and I think Elma expresses some dismay over Mimi's share as well.

They do specifically point out that even that paltry percentage is tens of thousands of enel. Since 1 enel is roughly 100 yen, I'd put that roughly at about 1 enel per dollar - and they mentioned she has 17k enel way back in chapter 9, so that's probably well into six-digits by now. But I do agree that it's a pretty small fraction to start with.

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, its flawed (nearly all the major Isekais are) but frankly its far, far better than most are.

Agreed, and as I said before - it scratches an itch nothing else does which makes me more willing to overlook some of the poorer ideas. Granted, it could easily get worse later on and I'll ditch it but I REALLY WANT a space opera sci-fi Isekai so I hope it's just fun mercenary hijinx for a good long while...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

kirbysuperstar posted:

Because its not slavery, and its not even indentured servitude :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CommieGIR posted:

:blastu:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I don’t really get the hype for Space Isekai but I just re-watched Outlaw Star like two weeks ago so maybe it’s because I’m comparing it to that.

Unrelated but I feel like having the antagonist of a fantasy series be an isekai’d person or group of people is an under-utilized concept. Star Ocean 3 kind of goes that route, if I’m remembering right. Hard to search for this kind of thing, since a bunch of edgelords want an isekai’d villain protagonist when I search for “isekai’d villain”. Overlord has had a few bits and pieces to where it shifts to someone else’s perspective who has to deal with Ainz, for instance. But what if that was the whole deal? Any suggestions for a series where the villain or villains are the reincarnated in another world folks instead of the hero or heroes?
I have three examples off the top of my head.
isekai-shikkaku Translations have hit a snag probably because of the official english release but there are still 30 chapters to sample and the series is ongoing. This one wears the idea that summoning a bunch of people and giving them fantastic powers would cause a huge problem because once the demon lord is defeated, the people that offed him set themselves up as the new world order. On top of that a bunch of smaller fish are running amok and causing problems for the locals so the MC's unique ability to send people home presents a cure for this plague

The Hero's party wants to experience love Just started serialization and the current issue is that the world is at peace but these summoned heroes are causing problems or misunderstandings as they haven't gone home. The series is also horny but not raunchy, the most recent chapter is about some guy that really wants to see dragons gently caress a car because that's his fetish but the art is not explicit if that helps :shrug:

I picked up Is the Destination Hero or Demon King yesterday and it's implied that 4 summoned people have been causing issues. And the MC is now aware that he has been treating his new life like a video game and that makes him perfectly suited to going off the deep end and being the next demon king himself in his haste to exploit the systems around him and how he view others as basically NPCs.

There are some others I've picked up and subsequently dropped but I do think there is an increase among the translated series I find where, reincarnated people wind up being the villains and antagonists of the story. In that same vein stories where the locals are more capable of sussing out and handling said heroes are also increasing.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Isekai'd antagonists are extremely common in otome villainess stories, usually with both the heroine and villainess being isekai'd and causing them to swap roles. Honestly, it's so common that I hate it, because it strikes me as completely missing the point of humanizing the villainess. When it happens though, generally the theme is that the good reincarnator treats the other characters like people while the evil reincarnator treats them like pawns to manipulate in order to get the harem ending or whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Clarste posted:

Isekai'd antagonists are extremely common in otome villainess stories, usually with both the heroine and villainess being isekai'd and causing them to swap roles. Honestly, it's so common that I hate it, because it strikes me as completely missing the point of humanizing the villainess. When it happens though, generally the theme is that the good reincarnator treats the other characters like people while the evil reincarnator treats them like pawns to manipulate in order to get the harem ending or whatever.

Yeah that happens a lot, good examples are 'Trapped in a Dating Sim' where dude spawns in an otome game he was playing for his sister in his previous life and his sister also ends up reincarnating in the game with the goal of creating a reverse harem except she never played the game so she keeps loving up

'Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess’ Fiance' is also a good example where MC reincarnates as the villainess character but outright tells her fiance that she is reincarnated and knows the entire world story.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

CommieGIR posted:

Can’t win with these people.
Even if it’s regular employee applying for a job it’s still wage slavery!

Also isekai people always get rich quick, but it’s ridiculous how much Space Mercenary just stacks money. He just gets millions each book and it’s from a few pages of ‘oh btw I came across a fleet of pirates and killed them all and turned in the loot’. I think he spends like 20mil for Android that’s pretty much just Kos-Mos in design and pays the upgrade for the sex DLC

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GateOfD posted:

Also isekai people always get rich quick, but it’s ridiculous how much Space Mercenary just stacks money. He just gets millions each book and it’s from a few pages of ‘oh btw I came across a fleet of pirates and killed them all and turned in the loot’. I think he spends like 20mil for Android that’s pretty much just Kos-Mos in design and pays the upgrade for the sex DLC

Yeah dude is raking in the money with ease, and honestly the android story was probably the cringiest so far. Although I love how he looked traumatized after their first time.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Oh speaking of Space sci-fi stuff.
It’s really cool how they treat high intelligence AI in space culture in the series.
they just kind of ignore the big question of a soul or not. But let’s not poke the bear. You AI have rights and as long as you don’t try to go Terminator on us, we can just exist with each other. We rather not have to blow each other up. And the AI is like sure we’re okay with that. And it focuses on space economy and business to make do. And they do have the right to defend themselves

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

GateOfD posted:

It’s really cool how they treat high intelligence AI in space culture in the series.
they just kind of ignore the big question of a soul or not. But let’s not poke the bear. You AI have rights and as long as you don’t try to go Terminator on us, we can just exist with each other. We rather not have to blow each other up. And the AI is like sure we’re okay with that. And it focuses on space economy and business to make do. And they do have the right to defend themselves

Yeah that was really good, where Hiro is asking the AI vacation planet robot about their free will and went into detail with that. Seems like that stuff gets glossed over usually.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GateOfD posted:

We're ALL slaves to capitalism!

Also, 'The One within the Villainess' is a great story where the villain is an Isekai'ed person. The MC is not but her body was being used by an Isekai'ed person for a long while, but it was more wholesome and nice. I highly, HIGHLY recommend that one for evil Villainess using her powers of revenge for a good cause and being ruthlessly bloodthirsty about it.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

fatal mistake of activating commiegirs politics posting instincts by making it about definitions instead of power relations, broadly. this is like in movies where you touch a martial artist shoulder and are thrown to the ground instantly

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GateOfD posted:

Homocidal Toasters and Hair Dryers were one of the best parts of that whole discussion.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Better question: How does Mimi not know what a toaster is?

I also love that the AI rebellion was basically a copy/paste of the robot rebellion from Futurama.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpxgIFoxTLM

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Frankly, the idea of a machine designed solely to toast bread—that every single household is expected to have as opposed to being reserved solely to professional kitchens—is kind of ridiculous. The fact that you think it's normal is weirder.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Better question: How does Mimi not know what a toaster is?

Keep in mind most people eat 'food cartridges' and the like. Hiro being able to eat extravagant meals with Mimi is seen as a sign of ridiculous wealth after all, even if the food itself isn't organic. What's more cooking is somewhat rare as evidenced by the reactions to his BBQ skills, so i'd assume that just eating precooked/processed food is the norm and anything beyond that is the realm of the rich/nobles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

khy posted:

Keep in mind most people eat 'food cartridges' and the like. Hiro being able to eat extravagant meals with Mimi is seen as a sign of ridiculous wealth after all, even if the food itself isn't organic. What's more cooking is somewhat rare as evidenced by the reactions to his BBQ skills, so i'd assume that just eating precooked/processed food is the norm and anything beyond that is the realm of the rich/nobles.

Ah, true.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
The only other spaceship based isekai I can think of is the ‘isekai into a ship’s AI’ or something.
Wasn’t that good though was very barebones and didn’t really expand on anything else.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

khy posted:

Homocidal Toasters and Hair Dryers were one of the best parts of that whole discussion.

Given the recent news article about the pedestrian dragged by a "smart" car. I imagine if we've arrived at the point where we trust SKYNET to operate out toasters; they would have access to multiple means of transportation and this would be the far more optimal means of taking down humanity.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Nah, the main plotline of SO3 is that your party is basically AIs living in a simulated universe that break out and kill their creator after he tries to destroy them.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CommieGIR posted:

is this about shield hero, because it absolutely is slavery with slave crests and everything, and he even does it against the will of the chocobo girl who is TERRIFIED as he's applying it

gently caress off

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

lol why don't you read the thread

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
no

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

You've made a good decision here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

is this about shield hero, because it absolutely is slavery with slave crests and everything, and he even does it against the will of the chocobo girl who is TERRIFIED as he's applying it

gently caress off

Conversation swapped to talking about a different anime that has a sci-fi genre to it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
my eyes glazed over because discussions and defenses of slavery in the isekai thread are vomitous

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
indentured servitude lol

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Captain Invictus posted:

my eyes glazed over because discussions and defenses of slavery in the isekai thread are vomitous

This is the slavery isekai thread. I think you are looking for the wholesome isekai thread.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I'm reading the indentured servitude gently caress crew woman manga and no one can stop me.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

'rebirth of a tyrannical villainess' ended some time ago and i just caught up and the 'twist' re: the isekai aspect there was pretty funny, though idk how common this kinda twist is

turns out the soul of the villainess was ejected from her body and sent to modern day earth to be reborn (not re-incarnated, she forgot everything) and all of the evil poo poo she did was someone else possessing her body. also that was the villain's plan despite being a mega powerful wizard who can reset the timeline because no matter what he did to gently caress up her life she kept whooping his rear end so his only solution was 'gently caress it, banish her to Korea'. the story also revealed that basically everyone already knew she was Someone Else Entirely the instant she got 'isekai'd' back and were like 'oh, jesus we missed 20+ years of your life huh' once it got revealed what actually happened. also a true reverse harem ending where she just goes 'okay, you're all my husbands now! byeee'

also surviving romance recently ended, and i really, really liked it! it's kind of spoilers to go into the premise, but it's 'someone is isekai'd into a romance story they were reading and is groundhog daying and having a Very Bad Time'

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Nov 5, 2023

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

TL;DR - Guy saves girl 1 in alleyway from being raped by thugs. Girl owes money because of deceased parents' debts. Guy pays off her debts. Girl has nowhere else to go so guy invites her to live with him on his spaceship. Guy expresses she doesn't need to do anything he's just being nice. Girl is afraid she'll be abandoned because she's useless and sleeps with guy because she feels like he won't ditch her if she does.

Girl #2 crashes her spaceship into a naval battleship. The navy charges her for the damage to their ship. Girl can't pay and is about to be sent off to space prison. Guy pays off Girl #2's debt, and says he wants her because of non-sexual reasons. Girl #2 tunes out everything after "he wants her" and sleeps with him because she thinks that's why he paid off her debts even though he specifically said he wanted her to join him for other reasons, she just tuned it out because space elves are horny I guess.

That's the oversimplified version. You decide for yourself what it is cuz everyone else already said their share :v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Brought To You By posted:

I have three examples off the top of my head.
isekai-shikkaku Translations have hit a snag probably because of the official english release but there are still 30 chapters to sample and the series is ongoing. This one wears the idea that summoning a bunch of people and giving them fantastic powers would cause a huge problem because once the demon lord is defeated, the people that offed him set themselves up as the new world order. On top of that a bunch of smaller fish are running amok and causing problems for the locals so the MC's unique ability to send people home presents a cure for this plague

The MC is based off the protagonist of Osamu Dazai's novel, No Longer Human/A Shameful Life (Ningen Shikkaku), and mixed in with Osamu Dazai himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Any debt Mimi or Elma have for Hiro basically stop mattering very quickly. Like by Vol 3 all of it is forgotten by all parties.