Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm not sure..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Just be wary if they start saying kiri-kiri-kiri-kiri

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Oh drat I was going to rename the thread but I forgot to what

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Probably something muscular.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

lol yeah it was “Muscular and Involving” or whatever Steve King said

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, he's the National Review's film guy. Degenerating into that kind of hackery was inevitable.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Obscurantism fails when you can just skip to the conclusion. White's complaining that the Five Nights At Freddy's movie isn't promoting Qanon, as the failure of any artwork to do so is a moral failure. RIP to his drat mind.

at first after his turn he at least made sense even if what he was saying was stupid but now it's just nonsense. i think you're right and it's not just grift for him, he's got Q brain and legitimately thinks sex trafficking is a common and normal thing to be worried about and "there are few childhood or adult amusements free from sexual grooming"

M_Sinistrari posted:

He's pretty much the contrarian for the sake of being a contrarian. You can have a thousand critics praising a film with ten times that in the audience praising a film and he's going to go the exact opposite.

old armand was a contrarian, but often an insightful and interesting one. what's he being a contrarian about here? no one is arguing five nights at freddie's is actually great, he's not swimming against the current of critical acclaim. his problems with the movie are just really weird

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Exorcist 3. You know the scene I mean.

Holy poo poo

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Fate Accomplice posted:

Holy poo poo

every scene.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Fate Accomplice posted:

Holy poo poo

Oh man, the jump scare with the carp is an all-timer.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Crescent Wrench posted:

Oh man, the jump scare with the carp is an all-timer.

Lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I just love how you could tell Ed Flanders legit cracks up when Kinderman says he hasn't showered in forever because of the carp

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's gonna be nice when AI restoration tools get so good that they can make that Exorcist 3 directors cut workprint look like a negative scan.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Typical, my copy of The Magician arrives after the October Challenge. Welp, just have to bite the bullet and watch it anyway.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I appreciate that VHS 1985 is in 4:3 ratio.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fate Accomplice posted:

Holy poo poo
It's all the George C Scott emotional meltdowns for me.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Upon rewatching They Live, my favourite part of that fight scene is how Roddy apologizes for breaking the car window with the plank of wood, then goes right back to fighting.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Today's the 35th anniversary of the release of They Live, in case anyone needs an excuse to watch a brilliant film today.

I just realized I've never seen it: going to fix that now.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fate Accomplice posted:

Holy poo poo

:sickos:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Justin Godscock posted:

I just realized I've never seen it: going to fix that now.

Oh hell yes!

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Muscular and Involving, like corned beef

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
The Autopsy of Jane Doe was excellent. I can't believe I sat on it for so long. If I had known Brian Cox was in it I probably would have watched it sooner.
Also lol at Emile Hirsch playing the teenage son, dude is like 38 years old. Pretty convincing though.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.
Has anyone seen Separation?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Finally finished VHS 85, which I liked well enough. It might've been my favorite but I just love the insane Timothy McVeigh riff from VHS 94 too much. I'm not sure this is a popular opinion, but I really feel like this series stabilized when it became a Shudder thing (which is also the era where they started actually getting some women involved writing and directing these things). At worst it can be boring and mediocre or generic but but but, compared to the absolutely obnoxious lows and cringe vibes of the first three films it's absolutely something I prefer. "Total Copy" was the best of all the wraparound segments in the series even if it ended in a pretty silly note. They really shouldn't have let Rory watch Alien.
I think it goes 94 > 85 > 99 (admittedly not very good) > Viral & 1 basically equal > 2 but I know there are people who totally love the first one.
Think my favorite segments in this entire series are "Terror" (94), "Total Copy" (85), "Dreamkill" (85), "Storm Drain" (94), and "No Wake"/"Ambrosia" (85).
I can't believe I'm saying this but I'm actually looking forward to the next one of these.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 5, 2023

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I watched like 15 minutes of VHS 1985 got to like I think the 2nd one and was like Nah and then went back to watching Star Trek

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Hollismason posted:

I watched like 15 minutes of VHS 1985 got to like I think the 2nd one and was like Nah and then went back to watching Star Trek

This is the horror thread, not the shame thread!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't know that anything in the series is truly mindblowing but they're fun little found footage riffs and (usually) better than just random found footage on Tubi (which is a pretty low bar tbf). The first three movies are just a blur of pretty forgettable or incredibly obnoxious bits for me though. Except "Bonestorm" I guess. That was fun enough. Honestly the shoddy EVIL ILLUSIONIST one from...Viral??? I'll probably remember more than most of the stuff in VHS 1, just because it was shockingly stupid and bad (what a "ta-da!" lmao).

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I love how dumb the illusionist bit is, the ridiculous camera stuff just owns and thebguy delivers on his performance.

If u think tubis ff bar is low, check out Amazon primes ff

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Even like an okay bit in 85 like "God of Death", imo the monster looked better than like 90% of the demon/monstrous presences in the rest of the series. Looking at you "Amateur Night" and "The Gawkers".

MacheteZombie posted:

I love how dumb the illusionist bit is, the ridiculous camera stuff just owns and thebguy delivers on his performance.
agreed.

also I thought "To Hell and Back" was less obnoxious than Deadstream but I get that the latter is really going for obnoxious. it was an okayish segment that ended up being the best in an otherwise pretty ehhhhhhh VHS99.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 5, 2023

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'll also say the stupid Nacho Vigalondo parallel universe one from Viral was also at least memorable because there's this decent buildup and I'm wondering what's gonna be different, what will this 15 minute jaunt hold...maybe the Other Dimension Him is unhappy with his own life and tries to steal the others, maybe this is a world with some kinda interesting twist or creepy cult poo poo...and it's just like...BOOM demon dicks and demon pussies. Demon dicks and demon pussies. The puppets were charming at least, wanna see the credits on that. Demon Dick Operator Gregg Smith.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't know that anything in the series is truly mindblowing but they're fun little found footage riffs and (usually) better than just random found footage on Tubi (which is a pretty low bar tbf). The first three movies are just a blur of pretty forgettable or incredibly obnoxious bits for me though. Except "Bonestorm" I guess. That was fun enough. Honestly the shoddy EVIL ILLUSIONIST one from...Viral??? I'll probably remember more than most of the stuff in VHS 1, just because it was shockingly stupid and bad (what a "ta-da!" lmao).

The one with the mad scientist doctor and killer robots was awesome. Great mechanical and special effects that was way above any other effort I've seen in that series. The body horror is top notch.
Ratma was okay too.

computer angel posted:

Has anyone seen Separation?

It's alright. It's like the Babadook but divorce.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'll also say the stupid Nacho Vigalondo parallel universe one from Viral was also at least memorable because there's this decent buildup and I'm wondering what's gonna be different, what will this 15 minute jaunt hold...maybe the Other Dimension Him is unhappy with his own life and tries to steal the others, maybe this is a world with some kinda interesting twist or creepy cult poo poo...and it's just like...BOOM demon dicks and demon pussies. Demon dicks and demon pussies. The puppets were charming at least, wanna see the credits on that. Demon Dick Operator Gregg Smith.

Parallel Monsters is the best short from any VHS, actually.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

gey muckle mowser posted:

FWIW Talk to Me isn’t like a feel-good movie but I wouldn’t describe it as particularly bleak or mean either. I generally don’t respond well to super bleak stuff either but I loved it. I haven’t seen When Evil Lurks yet but my go-to example of a recent film that was way too bleak for me is The Dark and the Wicked and TtM isn’t even close to something like that.

Just searched the thread for this title after having watched it (The Dark and the Wicked). Hard agree. I'm really tired of movies that consist of pretty much a bunch of "wouldn't it be hosed up if..." stitched together in a pile of nothing.

e: To contribute a bit, I don't feel like When Evil Lurks was this kind of relentlessly bleak movie. It's a mean movie but there's a sense of humor and some world building that make it interesting.

WarEternal fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 5, 2023

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

TheBizzness posted:

Parallel Monsters is the best short from any VHS, actually.

Tied with To Hell and Back for me. I want the actress who played Mabel - who was also in Deadstream - to have more work.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just finished When Evil Lurks and it was pretty bonkers. There are a couple effects that will stick out to me as things I can say I have never seen before.

The self inflicted axe to the face and the "mom" eating the kid's brain like a bucket of popcorn. also the "mom" upside down pinned up against a tree with brain matter dropping out.

Definitely not a perfect movie but some really striking images.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Where Evil Lurks is pure chaos energy lol. No idea what I just watched but I liked it

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Tied with To Hell and Back for me. I want the actress who played Mabel - who was also in Deadstream - to have more work.

Tempted to watch some series of movies called Mythica just to see how she does there, because yeah she was great in the two roles u mentioned.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

One real feel-bad movie that I don't see get mentioned is What Josiah Saw, which has a very good middle section (with an incredible performance by Nick Stahl!) before nosediving directly into one of the bleakest, most uncomfortable endings I can remember.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of Nick Stahl, another great feel bad movie with him is Hunter Hunter. Him and Devon Sawa are both really good in it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

ruddiger posted:

Speaking of Nick Stahl, another great feel bad movie with him is Hunter Hunter. Him and Devon Sawa are both really good in it.

drat good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Both actors rule I wanna check that out now

I’m loving the sawasaince