Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Douche Phoenix posted:

So Storage Wars but with raccoons bidding on trash cans? I can dig it

When's the kickstarter??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Chill la Chill posted:

Raccoon tycoon and NY Zoo are some of my recent biggest disappointments as well and for the same reasons. Such a shame, we could've had a cutthroat economics game with cute bougie raccoons smdh

Yeah I sold NY Zoo at the convention a few weeks ago, just ... not very interesting. I also really didn't enjoy setup with the stacks of polyominoes on the table in the notches.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

million dollar mack posted:

Mock (all) Wingspan Enjoyers

I hear there may be a second edition with significant errata inbound

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

xiw posted:

Yeah I sold NY Zoo at the convention a few weeks ago, just ... not very interesting. I also really didn't enjoy setup with the stacks of polyominoes on the table in the notches.

It's awful and my daughter has been obsessed with wanting it ever since we played it at a board game cafe, just because she knows I don't like it. In case you goons were dreaming about having a kid to play games with, there's two sides to that wish. Well her mom just bought it as a Christmas present and we're going to play it once and it'll sit on the shelf like every other game with attractive box art but nothing of substance inside.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Quails start with 45 VP. Geese start with -15. That's the Jamey touch.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What's playtesting like in the Stegmaier house? Like in Scythe one of the board combos is straight up objectively better than any other combo. You'd think things like that come up.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Admiralty Flag posted:

I signed up to play On Mars this Saturday. I've never played a Lacerda game before and just saw it's a 4.67 complexity on BGG. The teach video was 45 minutes long. On a scale of 0 to 10, how much will the 90-150 minute playing time be a lie? (None of the others have played On Mars before, either, I believe, but they should all have seen the video.)

I'm assuming it's worth the effort, with its #48 ranking on BGG.

90-150 minutes is pretty accurate not including the teach even for early games.

Pretty sure our first game (which was 4P) was about 2.5-3 hours.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 3, 2023

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
On Mars is the best Lacerda. You'll have fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do any Goons have opinions on Weather Machine and where it ranks with Lacerda's?

I own it, but it's towards the back of the queue unfortunately.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Infinitum posted:

Do any Goons have opinions on Weather Machine and where it ranks with Lacerda's?

I own it, but it's towards the back of the queue unfortunately.

Have only played it the once, enjoyed it quite a bit. Of all the Lacerda games, it's definitely one of them.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

SettingSun posted:

What's playtesting like in the Stegmaier house? Like in Scythe one of the board combos is straight up objectively better than any other combo. You'd think things like that come up.

The tapestry debacle revealed that he has quite a comprehensive playtesting program that produced enough data to identify all the issues identified by the community. It also revealed that he doesn't have even a basic knowledge of statistics, and thus he couldn't see the (glaring) issues in the data.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

90-150 minutes is pretty accurate not including the teach even for early games.

Pretty sure our first game (which was 4P) was about 2.5-3 hours.

I'd say it's 40+40 excluding teach, yes. But the teach is long. I do not recommend playing On Mars with any group that hasn't learned the rules in advance.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The End posted:

Have only played it the once, enjoyed it quite a bit. Of all the Lacerda games, it's definitely one of them.

Thankfully of the games I own, it's also definitely one of them

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Gonna play Twilight Imperium for the first time ever on Saturday

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Speaking of games that will take an ungodly amount of time even when you do know the rules...

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

LifeLynx posted:

It's awful and my daughter has been obsessed with wanting it ever since we played it at a board game cafe, just because she knows I don't like it. In case you goons were dreaming about having a kid to play games with, there's two sides to that wish. Well her mom just bought it as a Christmas present and we're going to play it once and it'll sit on the shelf like every other game with attractive box art but nothing of substance inside.

Sorry to hear. I was hoping it was a nice mean take on drafting and polyominoes. The meeps are just so pretty which is why this was such a disappointment 😭

OTOH llama land was pretty decent even though it’s still friendly and not too mean

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SettingSun posted:

dreadfully short because everyone missed a couple key rules or agonizingly long as you work through its complexities.

Lacerda.txt

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

:hellyeah:

:siren: Just remember to always be aiming for victory points :siren:
Battles don't necessarily get you there and can actually hamper your wincon
(Unless you're Space Godzilla, then go munch some nerds)

Have you done your draft yet? :nyoron:

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Listen to the ELO song to get your mind right.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Infinitum posted:

:hellyeah:

:siren: Just remember to always be aiming for victory points :siren:
Battles don't necessarily get you there and can actually hamper your wincon
(Unless you're Space Godzilla, then go munch some nerds)

Have you done your draft yet? :nyoron:

I'm going in completely blind. God bless :allears:

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I strongly encourage you to at least read the rules ahead of time.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Lord have mercy on your interstellar soul.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SettingSun posted:

There's a video someone linked for a different group who are goons and we'll play later this month too, I'll watch that tonight or tomorrow morning, Zero TI to two TI games in a month??

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

There's a video someone linked for a different group who are goons and we'll play later this month too, I'll watch that tonight or tomorrow morning, Zero TI to two TI games in a month??
I hope you had nothing else planned for the month. Even if you did, you don't now.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I know the game takes all day, not a deterrent

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Good luck Gooner, but again aim for POINTS not battles.

Battles are a means to an end. If the end is "I wanna blow this dude up", you're playing it wrong.

SettingSun posted:

Yeah. Just use this one, it's what I link for all my newbies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u2xEap5hBM

The complexity of TI isn't in the difficulty of the mechanics, it's in how many mechanics there are.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

More complex than Game of Thrones board game v2?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just enjoy that it's going to devolve into Space Risk for a couple unfortunate souls and those they don't have to build masses of plastic will probably win.

And be prepared for the never ending refrain of "wait did we do research/technology already?"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Knowing your tech is pretty much the biggest learning curve

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Good luck Gooner, but again aim for POINTS not battles.

Write “Is the thing I’m doing with this going to get me a point?” in permanent marker on your dominant hand.

TI4 gives a staggering buffet of options and victory goes to the person who ignores most of them.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Magnetic North posted:

It might be best to create a thread in SA Mart (and link it here) to let those additional protective rules apply. However, when this has come up in the past, the TG mod team have not considered that a requirement, so you can just as easily post here and then take it to PMs at your own risk.

Okay, I made a thread!

If you have games you'd like to get off your shelf and replace with different ones from someone else's shelf, go post in that thread!

If you want any of the games I listed, let me know and what you'd be interested in trading. If I don't want anything you offer, I may just send you the game for the price of shipping (assuming I don't get any other trade offers for it).

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

the best part of twilight imperium is space un and wheeling and dealing to see who gets elected minister of sprockets in exchange for passing environmental reform that allows you to build planetary cannons more easily and other silly poo poo

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

Write “Is the thing I’m doing with this going to get me a point?” in permanent marker on your dominant hand.

replace this with "is the thing I'm doing with this gonna get me an agenda or boost an agenda's score?" if you're playing Voidfall

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The one time I played it, the guy next to me did an all out attack on me in round 2 that essentially wiped both of us out for the remaining 7 or 8 hours. Yeah, fun game. Never playing that again.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

There's a TI thread if anyone has specific questions about this behemoth of a game:

Twilight Imperium

It's quiet, but someone will happily talk about TI ad nauseam if you post something.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hey everyone! Trad games secret santa is up and running for another year. Come join the fun, if you find sending and receiving nerdy game gifts fun!

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Bottom Liner posted:

I am eagerly awaiting the follow up post

On Mars trip report: 4P, one had played 3-4 times, one had played once, and another guy and I had played about half a game yesterday to get ready for today.

The game took about 3.5 hours -- heavy AP going on (probably driven in part by unfamiliarity) plus lots of checking rules and iconography; both of these issues included the two more experienced players. The latter seems like it would dramatically reduce on further playing.

I squeezed out a 1 point win, in spite of being short on resources most of the game and minimal tech (only two tiles, including shelters, but I got them to the end). Fortunately, I made and filled a four-hex shelter (and fulfilled a contract for that), which put me over the top.

I think there was too little game for the time, but like I said I think we can play faster next time. My favorite heavy games are Brass:Birmingham and GWT. Not sure On Mars ascends to that level, but we're looking at playing it again next weekend, and I think that'll be a more accurate view of the game.

Admiralty Flag fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 5, 2023

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trip report I tied for third... I thought I could get multiple public VP a turn... you can not...

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Trip report I tied for third... I thought I could get multiple public VP a turn... you can not...

gj for your first run go into it again with your hard earned experience and crush your foes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I play TI most often with 4 people and I hate it because all the strategy cards are in play every round.