Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

well yeah, the instant they don't have the backing of the USA the entire middle east flattens them

That didn't happen the three times before Israel started getting substantial US aid, and it's even less likely to happen now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lum_ posted:

That is such a non-starter politically in the US there are literally some state laws prohibiting BDS-style boycotts of Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-BDS_laws#Anti-BDS_laws_in_the_United_States

if I moved my career to Texas like some of my coworkers, I would be required to sign a loyalty pledge to Israel, which would be really loving weird given that I am professionally and legally forbidden to have loyalties or make any pledges to any nation other than the United States.

"What the actual gently caress" isn't a fun thing to hear from one of my mentors who is of the 50 members of the Defense Trade Advisory Group.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 5, 2023

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Potato Salad posted:

if I moved my career to Texas like some of my coworkers, I would be required to sign a loyalty pledge to Israel

What the actual gently caress. How/why would you be required to do this?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

PittTheElder posted:

they have a bill requiring loyalty pledges for certain public service sectors

I should follow up on this because it's been a few years, but I think the solution for my mentor was basically to call their facility security officer and clarify that (1) they were coerced to signing a pledge by a state law that should be submissive to federal policy in their understanding (2) they absolutely do not have any loyalties outside of the United States and are not a traitor

edit: recalling more, it's essentially handled with "this is obviously illegal / bunk hick horseshit and we won't care"

quite often is it the case that there are incompatibilities between state law and defense law / policy, and if you're smart you'll swing with the feds every time

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Nov 5, 2023

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

PittTheElder posted:

Look do you want the rapture or not pal

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Potato Salad posted:

if you're smart you'll swing with the feds every time

As Uncle Billy said,

quote:

You people of the South don't know what you are doing. This country will be drenched in blood, and God only knows how it will end. It is all folly, madness, a crime against civilization! You people speak so lightly of war; you don't know what you're talking about.

War is a terrible thing! You mistake, too, the people of the North. They are a peaceable people but an earnest people, and they will fight, too. They are not going to let this country be destroyed without a mighty effort to save it … Besides, where are your men and appliances of war to contend against them? The North can make a steam engine, locomotive, or railway car; hardly a yard of cloth or pair of shoes can you make. You are rushing into war with one of the most powerful, ingeniously mechanical, and determined people on Earth — right at your doors.

You are bound to fail. Only in your spirit and determination are you prepared for war. In all else you are totally unprepared, with a bad cause to start with. At first you will make headway, but as your limited resources begin to fail, shut out from the markets of Europe as you will be, your cause will begin to wane. If your people will but stop and think, they must see in the end that you will surely fail.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Acebuckeye13 posted:

That didn't happen the three times before Israel started getting substantial US aid, and it's even less likely to happen now.

I sure don't want to find out if they would actually pull the trigger on all those nukes if they were losing a conventional war.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Israel's neighbours are all a stiff breeze away from being failed states, there is zero risk of Israel having to fight a conventional war and in fact it is far more likely that the trend of normalisation continues after current events settle down because the primary foreign policy goal of everyone in the region is dealing with the psychotic theocracy that's handing out weapons to every reactionary terrorist group it can find.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Alchenar posted:

Israel's neighbours are all a stiff breeze away from being failed states, there is zero risk of Israel having to fight a conventional war and in fact it is far more likely that the trend of normalisation continues after current events settle down because the primary foreign policy goal of everyone in the region is dealing with the psychotic theocracy that's handing out weapons to every reactionary terrorist group it can find.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

if I moved my career to Texas like some of my coworkers, I would be required to sign a loyalty pledge to Israel, which would be really loving weird given that I am professionally and legally forbidden to have loyalties or make any pledges to any nation other than the United States.

"What the actual gently caress" isn't a fun thing to hear from one of my mentors who is of the 50 members of the Defense Trade Advisory Group.

Every CI briefing I ever got cited Israel as the number one perpetrator of espionage against the US (they may have been surpassed more recently by China). It's bad enough that the US government effectively refuses to buy hardware or software from Israeli companies (with some occasional exceptions).

Surprised culture war Republicans haven't spent more time trying to haul counter intelligence officers to jail for breaching these kinds of pledges.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Alchenar posted:

I am seriously not trying to throw any shade to anyone: which "psychotic theocracy handing out weapons" are you talking about? There's a few of them.

vv Thank you

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 5, 2023

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

I am seriously not trying to throw any shade to anyone: which "psychotic theocracy handing out weapons" are you talking about? There's a few of them.

Pretty sure they're talking about Iran.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Its saudi. It deserves to be saudi anyway.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Nov 5, 2023

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And why israel is concerned with american public support is it carries irreplaceable access to technology, money, and political influence. National survival isn't realistically threatened anymore.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:

Potato Salad posted:

They didn't mean us? :911:

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 5, 2023

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Only just out today: Perun has done a vid on Iran's Military Strategy & Power Projection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy95hMoMhrY as is normal with his vids it's heavy on Power Point with still pictures of weapons & graphs.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Lum_ posted:

That is such a non-starter politically in the US there are literally some state laws prohibiting BDS-style boycotts of Israel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-BDS_laws#Anti-BDS_laws_in_the_United_States

Those laws aren't the reason why BDS won't happen in the USA. They are a solid reflection of the fact that there is little to no popular appetite to engage with BDS, however.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PittTheElder posted:

“Loyalyty pledge” is a derogatory term used by people opposed to the stupid law.

Texas and a bunch of states require that a company certifies it does not expressly boycott Israeli products, if signing a contract with Texas for Texas government money to be paid to the company.

The courts have ruled a few different ways over the years, but it is largely an unenforceable culture bullshit law.

https://www.courthousenews.com/fifth-circuit-parses-texas-ban-on-boycotting-israel/

Also it’s a fumb thing where there is no boycott pledge for Texas direct employees, just for contractors paid by the Texas government.

It is all very dumb and rather toothless, but I understand that some people refuse on principal to just lie to Texas in order to get a contract.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

Only just out today: Perun has done a vid on Iran's Military Strategy & Power Projection https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cy95hMoMhrY as is normal with his vids it's heavy on Power Point with still pictures of weapons & graphs.

At this point it should just be assumed that Perun videos are going to be powerpoints using the Halloween color palette.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

A.o.D. posted:

At this point it should just be assumed that Perun videos are going to be powerpoints using the Halloween color palette.

I'm not military but am wary of posting things here that may be construed as :nms: :nws: to those not familiar with the lad. :kiddo:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Just Another Lurker posted:

I'm not military but am wary of posting things here that may be construed as :nms: :nws: to those not familiar with the lad. :kiddo:

Perun's content to date have been pretty universally safe for all potential outlets and consumers. His presentation is fairly heavily sanitized and clinical.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
When I read "psychotic theocracy handing out weapons to terrorists" my first thoughts were the US (CIA creating the taliban) and Saudi arabia (rich Saudi failsons sponsoring Al qaeda & isis as a hobby).

I had an Iranian boss for a while and his characterization of the regime (kleptocrats stealing/privatizing everything that isn't nailed down) is where I get my picture of the Iranian state

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

HolHorsejob posted:

I had an Iranian boss for a while and his characterization of the regime (kleptocrats stealing/privatizing everything that isn't nailed down) is where I get my picture of the Iranian state

That doesn't really rule out also being an insane theocracy arming terrorists, ex: the US

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm not sure how you could read the OP's entire post and interpret it to mean anything other than Iran unless you just skipped over the entire first half of it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Are we gonna bring back the Iran boogeyman now? We really are doing 2000s greatest hits

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Yeah I mean do whatever kind of edgy takes you want, the main dynamic of the region is Iran trying to destabilise everyone who isn't Iran, and everyone else gradually forming into a broad coalition to oppose that. The main tension for the last decade being that if you are the Arab states and you want to contain Iran then the last bit of the jigsaw you need is a partnership with Israel, and guess what was about to happen right when Hamas kicked off?

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

A.o.D. posted:

Perun's content to date have been pretty universally safe for all potential outlets and consumers. His presentation is fairly heavily sanitized and clinical.

70+ minute PowerPoint presentations are explicitly banned in at least four major law of armed conflict treaties, but they weren't written with nonstate actors in mind.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ZombieApostate posted:

They didn't mean us? :911:

this would have been my guess

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
https://x.com/centcom/status/1721271207260033230?s=46

E: apparently just the SSGN version so lol

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Nov 5, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I would hope that it wasn't the Ballistic version.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

A.o.D. posted:

I would hope that it wasn't the Ballistic version.

idk i feel pretty disappointed. not enough big dick energy

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Platystemon posted:

As Uncle Billy said,

The guy knew his poo poo. He wrote that after the very first state's (SC) secession was announced.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

An SSGN is what, up to ~150 Tomahawks? No idea how many are on board of course but that's on par with if not more than a CSG's complement right?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Godholio posted:

The guy knew his poo poo. He wrote that after the very first state's (SC) secession was announced.

Correct.

South Carolina passed its resolution to secede on Thursday, 20 December 1860. Sherman made his remarks the following Monday.

Colonel Sherman was then the first superintendent of what would become Louisiana State University. He resigned that position on 18 January 1861, shortly after Mississippi, Florida, Alabama had joined in secession and eight days before Louisiana itself seceded.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Are we gonna bring back the Iran boogeyman now? We really are doing 2000s greatest hits

I seriously thought y'all were better than this yeah. what the gently caress

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Hey, need some crash course advice in media literacy.

Various people in the politics channel of a Discord I frequent are, uh, doomposting about how popular support for Israel in the US is cratering, and how this affects both what the current government should do now, and their re-election chances.

Meanwhile, the historian, Bret Devereaux, says that the main reason the US allies with Israel is because it enjoys significant popular support.

Obviously, the validity of both of these perspectives depends on the actual state of the level of popular support in the US for the government of Israel.

So what do you all advise for cutting through any prevalent BS and determining the actual level of US popular support for Israel right now?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Quackles posted:

Hey, need some crash course advice in media literacy.

Various people in the politics channel of a Discord I frequent are, uh, doomposting about how popular support for Israel in the US is cratering, and how this affects both what the current government should do now, and their re-election chances.

Meanwhile, the historian, Bret Devereaux, says that the main reason the US allies with Israel is because it enjoys significant popular support.

Obviously, the validity of both of these perspectives depends on the actual state of the level of popular support in the US for the government of Israel.

So what do you all advise for cutting through any prevalent BS and determining the actual level of US popular support for Israel right now?

waiting a couple weeks :v:

polling's a bit of a mess right now and things are happening quickly, so afaict the answer boils down to "get more polls"

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

You know what? Fair enough.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

One thing I’d advise: don’t take this thread as general opinion. It would be cool and good if it was, two state fully automated gay communism. Unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would agree polling right now isn't very useful but I'd guess there's still a solid majority support for Israel. Majority probably don't pay attention to news at all, then the ones who do mostly get it from... I don't even know. Do people watch TV news, other than the olds watching Fox?

Like I don't think most people would be pro blowing up ambulances and children but I also don't think most people are aware that's happening. They heard Israel is killing terrorists and that's about it.