Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Solid loving pun but literally the worst drawn example of a hole in the bottom of a ship and... a ship i have ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

This is the best Daddy Daze strip.

Like, it could stand to be about three panels shorter, but it's a solid gag.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

ukonvasara posted:

Either Boyce is having a stroke or I am.

Is it possible to gradually decline to the point where you're no longer a natively English speaker? "Are you sure where I'm suppose to be," "nomad land," these read like someone who learned English only by hearing it.

I have no idea what he thinks a "portal" is in this context.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hostile V posted:

whoops I got distracted by perfume so have too much of zero danger

That's one of the thing that annoys me with this strip. No one is ever in danger, everything works out for them. They can't even lose a contest because they're all so perfect.

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

[half a muffin later, in the comfort and privacy of Mary's apartment, breaking away — yet not all the way — from their third or fourth incrementally longer friendly hug] "You know, Mary, you remind me of someone. Someone who was once very special to me..."

Difficult. Till now, he proved himself to be quite equilibrated and rational, a lot of other people would have reacted much more negatively

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Pluggers

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
Maybe letting women rule is good actually?

Also: Teenagers amiright?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hippocrass posted:

This is the best Daddy Daze strip.

Like, it could stand to be about three panels shorter, but it's a solid gag.

It is basically the ending of the episode "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" from Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Alhazred posted:

That's one of the thing that annoys me with this strip. No one is ever in danger, everything works out for them. They can't even lose a contest because they're all so perfect.

I think it was just a few months ago the main characters were caught blatantly cheating in a competition and they were all so surprised that they weren't allowed to do that.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cereal STD Jokes

Get Fuzzy 11/4/03

Brenda Starr 1/6/52

Smokey Stover 10/20/57

Everyday Movies 12/7/36

"Don't get up, Mr. Kinkles -- I just wondered whether you wanted another drink."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/5/42

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Nov 5, 2023

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Some Guy TT posted:

There's a lot of middle ground between shotgun wedding and just not telling him that he has a kid at all.

It's the mother's right to decide whether she wants the father of the child to be part of her life or not. She mentioned breaking it off with Keith when she found out she's pregnant because she was afraid he'd use that as a pretext to pressure her into a wedding. Considering how obsessive Keith was acting on the drive back to his apartment, maybe she had a good reason to be worried. If she truly wanted to, she could have told Keith back then to have him give child support, but the fact she was fine raising the kid all on her own for two decades says a lot.

And while we as the reader see that the meeting didn't end in violence, note that Keith's still an ex-cop built like a brick shithouse who spent the entire time being aggressive, accusatory, loud and demanding. Kitty may have sounded bored by it all, but Keith's actions would make a person feel nervous and unsafe. Keith may say he's mad that Kitty didn't tell him about their child, but if you read it in a batch it's clear that he's more upset that his kid thinks he's evil for being a cop and just wants to convince he he's one of The Good Ones.

Ultimately, I think the problem lies with Mary Worth's writing. The story does seem to get that Keith's in the wrong here, but it doesn't realize just how much they've managed to portray him as an rear end in a top hat, much like Wilbur or Dawn when they're having relationship issues. It wants to tell a story of a loner finding out he's got a child and letting more people in his life, and you just know Mary Worth's going to smash that square peg into a round hole with a baking pan.

Vargo posted:

you gotta be loving kidding me.

Nu Trail's self-congratulatory bullshit is so grating. It couldn't come up with a mystery to solve, much less set up an actual story structure, yet it thinks it can just do a denouement. Jules does know she can just quit if she can't be assed to put in any effort to this, right?

Huh, so I guess Gil and his wife did get a divorce? The comic kept teasing that Gil's wife was really into this woman she befriended, so it's a pleasant surprise the comic actually went in that direction.

Hostile V posted:

whoops I got distracted by perfume so have too much of zero danger

Seriously, shut this place down already. Holbrook can't claim it's a safe space when all these adult predators keep slipping inside the camp's defenses and the children are left to defend themselves from getting murdered.

tiercel
Apr 22, 2008

Giant Ethicist posted:

Demons of Baseball never fails to deliver. (I'm loving Flash Gordon, too!)

We Are Reproducing

That little graph of "ow" and "rest" must have taken a while (and is very funny.) Thank you so much for translating this; it's great.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Odonata posted:

I made one way back, long enough ago that I don't remember how to get pictures posted from my imgur account now.

https://imgur.com/RifcnWB

Thanks. This one definitely lingered in my memory palace. Right next to the dogs playing poker. Oh, and if it doesn't show up from the three-dots menu, right click > copy image address. :)

Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (November 7, 1976)

Crankshaft

The town's print newspaper is in a single office of the Historical Society building. Really makes you think, dunnit. :smug:

Thimble Theater (June 9, 1940)

Popeye

Skippy's Own Book of Comics

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 5, 2023

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Another strong use of the Popeye IP, Randy. :rolleyes:

Jucika "364 - Jucika And The Foreign Relative"

"Alkoholelvonó = Alcoholism Treatment/AA (roughly)"

"365 - Jucika, As A Trainer"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Look at this loser reading newspaper comics.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Yeah, it's not unusual to get angels this time of year. Seraphim in particular; they're looking for a warm place to overwinter.

Slylock Fox

Slylock shops smart. He shops S-Mart.

Flash Gordon

*record scratch* - *freeze frame* - Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

FoxTrot

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Powered Descent posted:

Flash Gordon

*record scratch* - *freeze frame* - Yup, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up in this situation.

Vargo posted:

Don't worry, I bet by friday there will be a panel of a record needle scratching and a few narration boxes saying "Yep, that's me. Flash Fordon. I bet you're wondering how I got into this situation." and then all your questions will be answered.

So I was a few days late but I TOLD YOU ALL.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EasyEW posted:

Crankshaft

The town's print newspaper is in a single office of the Historical Society building. Really makes you think, dunnit. :smug:

So there's a "climate activist group" calling themselves Millennials and Zoomers Last Generation and they apparently have a bad rep if they're suspected of doing the most horrid crime of vandalizing a historical item from a small town an old person's property?

gently caress you, Batiuk.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

A bit of mental math suggests that if grandma here is, say, 70 in 1990, she probably gave birth during the war or in the austere years soon after, so yeah.
Next page is spoilered for the PoV character being told a “joke” about child abuse and (to give what I think is a deserved charitable reading considering her background), it being 1993, basically only being able to laugh it off.

Naturally, in the MangaDex comments, a couple people sprang to the defense of said “joke,” bemoaning how the modern internet had gotten so soft that people would be outraged by it.

A couple of thoughts. First, that Premature Ejaculation Magazine Theater magazine kind of sounds like something close to Playboy. Which would make this comic roughly equivalent to the sort of educational articles people supposedly read Playboy for. Don't know if you've ever heard the expression, I read Playboy for the articles. It's kind of fallen out of use now that no one reads Playboy anymore.

Second, you post these on Mangadex too and are getting comments? Do you just have a large following or is this website more popular than I realized?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Some Guy TT posted:

Second, you post these on Mangadex too and are getting comments? Do you just have a large following or is this website more popular than I realized?

The Green Lesbians comic seems to be quite popular: (e. oops GE only did the character bio translation for that)
https://mangadex.org/group/c236e525-e38f-4fa5-86a8-dd23a6771d63/giant-ethicist?tab=titles

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 5, 2023

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Vargo posted:

So I was a few days late but I TOLD YOU ALL.

Sorry, completely forgot you'd already done that joke. :v:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

What an incredibly Joss-Whedon-rear end scene. Not in a good way, if it needs to be said.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strontium posted:

Dark Side Of The Horse

Secret last panel: saying "you too" when a server tells you to enjoy your meal.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

For context, this was a year or two after Ron Johnson became JCPenney CEO and eliminated sales. He was fired about a month after these cartoons were released.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 7/5/42

:lol: A trained vulture--of course!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 5, 2023

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 9/30/51

Archie 8/23-25/48

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet 9/16/51

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

A&J horny is how you do it right compared to Chickweed Lanes grossness.

Aaand as long as I'm commenting on discussions from several days ago, I feel compelled to note that We Are Reproducing and 9 Chickweed Lane both had strips about having sex in the delivery room. Except We Are Reproducing was actually a joke about what a weird thing it is to do, while 9 Chickweed Lane seemed to be presenting the act as aspirational.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Rex and June in that last panel look about like me reading this storyline. But I am seriously loving those expressions for real.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

"Do me a solid and I'll put in a word with your daughter. Now, there's this dog fighting ring I want make sure stays gone, you understand?"

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing
Timg’d for Adult Situations

Ting’d for naked boob poking

tiercel posted:

That little graph of "ow" and "rest" must have taken a while (and is very funny.) Thank you so much for translating this; it's great.
This lady’s extremely cramped annotations are putting my (very limited) image manipulation skills to the test, I tell you what.

Some Guy TT posted:

Very few, in the grand scheme of things. Most of the comics I post (this, the Q-Rais stuff, the Maruoka Kuzo stuff) will have on the order of a couple hundred followers and get maybe half a dozen comments per strip, but usually more like 2 or 3, and TBH most of those along the lines of “that thing sure did happen!” The really popular stuff will have tens of thousands of followers and get dozens of comments per strip. (My most popular translation has been Cthulhu and Girl, since it’s very mainstream in a way that most of what I translate isn’t.)

Giant Ethicist fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Nov 5, 2023

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense

amigolupus posted:

It's the mother's right to decide whether she wants the father of the child to be part of her life or not.
I don't know the U.S. laws about the subject, here in Italy (and several other nations) a parent behaving that way is not a crime but quite illegal, and the other parent would be able to sue. And the mother has no right to do such thing: only a tribunal could do so, and only after legal procedures.

amigolupus posted:

She mentioned breaking it off with Keith when she found out she's pregnant because she was afraid he'd use that as a pretext to pressure her into a wedding. Considering how obsessive Keith was acting on the drive back to his apartment, maybe she had a good reason to be worried. If she truly wanted to, she could have told Keith back then to have him give child support, but the fact she was fine raising the kid all on her own for two decades says a lot.
Considering that Keith has been LIED, because witholding the truth means lying, for 20 years about such an important question, he has all the rights to be upset about the situation, yet he acts rationally valuing his options, ready even in the end to avoid pressing the two and letting them go.

amigolupus posted:

And while we as the reader see that the meeting didn't end in violence, note that Keith's still an ex-cop built like a brick shithouse who spent the entire time being aggressive, accusatory, loud and demanding. Kitty may have sounded bored by it all, but Keith's actions would make a person feel nervous and unsafe.

More than bored, Kitty seemed sure of herself, probably because she knows Keith and that he has autocontrol and good ethics, so she is perfectly safe, and acts that way.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Breadmaster posted:

"Do me a solid and I'll put in a word with your daughter. Now, there's this dog fighting ring I want make sure stays gone, you understand?"

This is the poo poo I want to read.

I give you a muffin, you give me a few heads, deal? These are amazing muffins.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple 19: Maggie's Party Part 2

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Steeple website

John Allison posted:

Drew this page after five weeks off drawing pages, a broken man too tough to cry. Took me all day. Friends often ask me “when can you take a break?” The answer is, I don’t want to, because starting the old machinery up again is worse than just ploughing on.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

"Remember how you didn't want anything to do with me, but I kept pestering you and pestering you and pestering you until you let me into your home, and now you're at my place eating muffins? You just need to do that."

Some Guy TT posted:

Aaand as long as I'm commenting on discussions from several days ago, I feel compelled to note that We Are Reproducing and 9 Chickweed Lane both had strips about having sex in the delivery room. Except We Are Reproducing was actually a joke about what a weird thing it is to do, while 9 Chickweed Lane seemed to be presenting the act as aspirational.

And in WAR the sex was at least while they were killing time waiting for labor to really kick into high gear. With 9CL it was right after the baby was born. Hell with the newborn, they've got more important skin to skin to accomplish!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Today's punchline brought to you by Charles Boyce.