Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Unrelated but I feel like having the antagonist of a fantasy series be an isekai’d person or group of people is an under-utilized concept. Star Ocean 3 kind of goes that route, if I’m remembering right. Hard to search for this kind of thing, since a bunch of edgelords want an isekai’d villain protagonist when I search for “isekai’d villain”. Overlord has had a few bits and pieces to where it shifts to someone else’s perspective who has to deal with Ainz, for instance. But what if that was the whole deal? Any suggestions for a series where the villain or villains are the reincarnated in another world folks instead of the hero or heroes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Are the tanya the evil books any good compared to the anime?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I enjoyed them. They’re basically anime airport novels so if you enjoy both light novels and Clancy types they’ll probably be your kind of thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

is this about shield hero, because it absolutely is slavery with slave crests and everything, and he even does it against the will of the chocobo girl who is TERRIFIED as he's applying it

gently caress off

....no, no it wasn't Shield Hero we were discussing. So maybe read the thread next time.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Ah Isekai, where you can defend a protagonist by saying, "It's not slavery, he's just a sleazy employer who uses power imbalance and debt trapping to force his employees to sleep with him"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The MC is based off the protagonist of Osamu Dazai's novel, No Longer Human/A Shameful Life (Ningen Shikkaku), and mixed in with Osamu Dazai himself.

He's a really fun main character.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Seraphic Neoman posted:

Any debt Mimi or Elma have for Hiro basically stop mattering very quickly. Like by Vol 3 all of it is forgotten by all parties.

the spaceguy mc is actually funnier because its the usual tropish nonsense but the author makes some efforts to highlight a very male style of hypocripsy. Ironically, this makes him look more a sleazeball then the many other such characters who are legion, and who are objectively worse, because those characters are too far removed from reality in behavior to be as offensive lol.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Homeless Friend posted:

the spaceguy mc is actually funnier because its the usual tropish nonsense but the author makes some efforts to highlight a very male style of hypocripsy. Ironically, this makes him look more a sleazeball then the many other such characters who are legion, and who are objectively worse, because those characters are too far removed from reality in behavior to be as offensive lol.

I have the exact opposite opinion. The way the characters meet in Space Mercenary is hackneyed as hell but he never holds it over their heads (well other than complaining that Elma spends all her money on expensive booze). Media like Shield Hero have a very constant underlying misogyny, though SH is way the hell more explicit about it and it comes off as way more abusive and hateful. The former feels like bad writing, the latter feels like people rationalizing abuse.
"Oh Naofumi wouldn't be such a bad guy is women didn't betray him, you see?"

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I'm really happy that my favorite wholesome-but-slightly-not fantasy story, An Archdemon's Dilemma, has finally started to get to the point where all the side characters are being introduced. I forgot how long it took, but IMO the story starts getting a lot better from this point on, especially when all the quirky characters start bouncing off of each other.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read all of Isekai Samurai. It’s good. Not even good for isekai, just good

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Seraphic Neoman posted:

I have the exact opposite opinion. The way the characters meet in Space Mercenary is hackneyed as hell but he never holds it over their heads (well other than complaining that Elma spends all her money on expensive booze). Media like Shield Hero have a very constant underlying misogyny, though SH is way the hell more explicit about it and it comes off as way more abusive and hateful. The former feels like bad writing, the latter feels like people rationalizing abuse.
"Oh Naofumi wouldn't be such a bad guy is women didn't betray him, you see?"

Im not disagreeing, im basically saying its a more natural scumbag behavior vs the typical insane incel fare. And its funny the author put in the effort. We need to skip straight to having a stavros halkias isekai as an mc protagonist

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

thetoughestbean posted:

It's real good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GateOfD posted:

What you people expect nao to do, thank her for it?
And I think the other 4 heroes acts way more sinful how they treat everything and everyone like a game and playing hero while Nao treated things serious from the beginning. And has to fix all of their messes

The whole point is that the story is written in such a way that justifies the misogyny/misanthropy. If someone writes fiction where there are major plot points of evil women manipulating and hurting the protagonist (and in this case "the first adult non-child woman he meets"), well, that tells you something about the writer. Same when the main love interest is a literal slave that is mentally the age of a child. And regarding the other heroes, they're also portrayed negatively as part of the "loving normies and jocks" worldview of the writer (unless they're just cynically taking advantage of the fact that this will appeal to a lot of the readers, I guess).

It's like if you wrote a story where the protagonist is constantly being attacked by evil black people. The very concept itself is racist and reflective of the mindset of the writer. "Well, they actually are evil in the story!" wouldn't be any sort of defense.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I didn't realize we also got a Special Chapter from Ginko's past recently. She has her father's zeal for the Samurai way and her mother's overwhelming strength :allears:

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..

Ytlaya posted:

The whole point is that the story is written in such a way that justifies the misogyny/misanthropy. If someone writes fiction where there are major plot points of evil women manipulating and hurting the protagonist (and in this case "the first adult non-child woman he meets"), well, that tells you something about the writer. Same when the main love interest is a literal slave that is mentally the age of a child. And regarding the other heroes, they're also portrayed negatively as part of the "loving normies and jocks" worldview of the writer (unless they're just cynically taking advantage of the fact that this will appeal to a lot of the readers, I guess).

It's like if you wrote a story where the protagonist is constantly being attacked by evil black people. The very concept itself is racist and reflective of the mindset of the writer. "Well, they actually are evil in the story!" wouldn't be any sort of defense.

somehow, women are capable of being bad people as well. they're allowed to be written as such. Especially when its just the ONE evil female that's the constant thorn in his side that keeps making trouble for him. If it was some snobbish recurring male noble constantly trying to get in the way of the main character, no one would blink.
The rest in the story, he comes across multiple, even non-slave ones that help him, but he has a big distrust, it takes forever for him to put any into people around him. (male or female)
If the story was about a female isekai who got raped while in a vulnerable state by someone who she trusted, and because of that, she has a general distrust of any males or just people around her, and it was about her opening up later, people wouldn't give half the crap for that. But gender swapped, its now a how dare they!

The other 3 heroes act exactly like typical isekai protags. in some other isekai series, in how they treat it like an actual game, or a VN game, or trying to self-insert playing the mysterious hero. And shows how much doing it that way can mess it up when its a regular world and they don't have plot armor. Not sure why you go to normies and jocks when its modeled after other isekai protags motifs. Especially much much later past the anime after some major story points where he comes across literal OP "I'm the main character" complex reincarnation isekai guy

Like for the 3 heroes, one might pass as a 'jock' (spear), but the sword is a gamer nerd, and the arrow is a bullied pipsqueak.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Looking at this gif and man. Those capes have to be massive and it's weird to think that there's a whole industry devoted to making capes for mechs.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
They're just stage curtains.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I don’t really get the hype for Space Isekai but I just re-watched Outlaw Star like two weeks ago so maybe it’s because I’m comparing it to that.

Unrelated but I feel like having the antagonist of a fantasy series be an isekai’d person or group of people is an under-utilized concept. Star Ocean 3 kind of goes that route, if I’m remembering right. Hard to search for this kind of thing, since a bunch of edgelords want an isekai’d villain protagonist when I search for “isekai’d villain”. Overlord has had a few bits and pieces to where it shifts to someone else’s perspective who has to deal with Ainz, for instance. But what if that was the whole deal? Any suggestions for a series where the villain or villains are the reincarnated in another world folks instead of the hero or heroes?

There was a brief moment where the idea of a "normal person fights against isekai'd assholes" trope kind of took off.

There's Cheat Slayer, which got shitcanned after one issue for blatantly including the protagonists of every popular isekai as the roundtable of villains. There's also Serial Killer in which a serial killer is isekaied to take care of other isekai'd people. Then there's this Cheat Eater thing which is also vaguely about killing all the isekai people.

Edit: None of these are particularly good, mind you. The first one is also the only one where the protagonist would have been a regular dude instead of another isekai'd person.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Who are all those characters in Cheat Slayer based on? I only recognize Re:Zero's Subaru, the Sword Art guy, and...I think Aqua from Konosuba, though that's a little silly.

Who's the antagonist guy from the first/only chapter supposed to be, for example?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Daughter Villainess = Katarina, my next life as a villainess
Young Demon = Tanya, tanya the evil
Named Slime = Rimiru, that time i reincarnated as a slime
Undead King = Ainz, Overlord, mixed with a bit of elias from ancient magus bride i think

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

Who are all those characters in Cheat Slayer based on? I only recognize Re:Zero's Subaru, the Sword Art guy, and...I think Aqua from Konosuba, though that's a little silly.

Who's the antagonist guy from the first/only chapter supposed to be, for example?

A mix between Shin Wolfword from Wiseman's Grandchild and Rudeus Greyrat from Jobless reincarnation.

Roro Derlinger or was supposed to be a take on Rimuru Tempest,

Don Wil Death was supposed to be Ainz, but with Elias's head,

The Russian named girl is versioned after Tanya,

I can't recall the name, but it was Pina something that was a take on Katarina Claes,

And the goat horned girl is from the Izakaya isekai.

Aside from the edgy shlock, people also criticized the fact that some of these make no sense. Ainz and Tanya are already fairly sketchy if not outright villains, neither Aqua nor the horned girl were isekai'd and instead were natural denizens, and a large number of these got big due to being parodies already like Konosuba and Destruction Flag Otome/Bakarina or playing against the type like Re:Zero or were people who lived fairly normal okay lives instead of the usual HS outcast or living failur depicted in the series.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Fereydun posted:

also surviving romance recently ended, and i really, really liked it! it's kind of spoilers to go into the premise, but it's 'someone is isekai'd into a romance story they were reading and is groundhog daying and having a Very Bad Time'

Thank you for this recommendation, it's great to have a story have an ending, even more so for a time loop story to get on with things.

Added to the list of stories that made me cry.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

doomrider7 posted:

A mix between Shin Wolfword from Wiseman's Grandchild and Rudeus Greyrat from Jobless reincarnation.

Roro Derlinger or was supposed to be a take on Rimuru Tempest,

Don Wil Death was supposed to be Ainz, but with Elias's head,

The Russian named girl is versioned after Tanya,

I can't recall the name, but it was Pina something that was a take on Katarina Claes,

And the goat horned girl is from the Izakaya isekai.

Aside from the edgy shlock, people also criticized the fact that some of these make no sense. Ainz and Tanya are already fairly sketchy if not outright villains, neither Aqua nor the horned girl were isekai'd and instead were natural denizens, and a large number of these got big due to being parodies already like Konosuba and Destruction Flag Otome/Bakarina or playing against the type like Re:Zero or were people who lived fairly normal okay lives instead of the usual HS outcast or living failur depicted in the series.

Ah, thanks. Mushoku Tensei guy makes sense - I just didn't know what he looked like or what his abilities are.

I also thought that one character looked like Katarina Claes, but thought that didn't make much sense given the premise (though it's not I Iike pseudo-Aqua does either).

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, thanks. Mushoku Tensei guy makes sense - I just didn't know what he looked like or what his abilities are.

I also thought that one character looked like Katarina Claes, but thought that didn't make much sense given the premise (though it's not I Iike pseudo-Aqua does either).

Fun Fact about Bakarina and Slime is that neither is published by Kadokawa, but by Kodansha instead which would make things better or worse depending on how the kaw works(using characters from your company vs using ones from another company). This might have actually been part of the issue actually. Fuse, the author of Tensei Slime had a criticism asking the author to please be mindful of how he uses and depicts the characters, but also of not being made aware so he could be part of the potential "Rimuru, but Evil" simce he thought the idea was cool and worth exploring(something like this if not outright this very concept WAS indeed used in the mobile games).

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah going cross company is fraught with peril. But I think the big problem with cheat killer was that several of the authors were internally not cool with it and killed the series at the editorial level.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah going cross company is fraught with peril. But I think the big problem with cheat killer was that several of the authors were internally not cool with it and killed the series at the editorial level.

Yeah makes sense. I'm also reading Isekai Shokudo and it's super wholesome and comfy and makes me wonder how you could even make a villain concept out of it same with most of the others.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the premise of an isekai spoof where all the villains are knockoffs of famous protags is good; that’s why people keep talking about this series that died instantly. it’s just that the actual thing was bad. someone could do it well but they’d need to both understand all these series and have an affection for at least some of them.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I don't remember who recommended it to me (except that it wasn't someone here), but it's almost depressing how mediocre that Reborn as a Vending Machine show is; I'm seven episodes in and just can't finish it.

I thought the concept sounded funny, I appreciate that they committed to the bit, I've laughed a couple of times, and the ending credits song is nice and has a cute drawing of the lead. Those are all of the positive things I can say about the show. Otherwise, it's just dull.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

surf rock posted:

I don't remember who recommended it to me (except that it wasn't someone here), but it's almost depressing how mediocre that Reborn as a Vending Machine show is; I'm seven episodes in and just can't finish it.

I thought the concept sounded funny, I appreciate that they committed to the bit, I've laughed a couple of times, and the ending credits song is nice and has a cute drawing of the lead. Those are all of the positive things I can say about the show. Otherwise, it's just dull.

In my experience, most "gimmick" isekai kind of suck. They're either just dull, or they essentially abandon the gimmick early on (or twist it into something that is effectively just "a different path to becoming super powerful").

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Arifureta is bizarre, especially the part where he basically marries every. single. woman. he. meets but it kinda grew on me. Same kinda deal - MC gets stabbed in the back and betrayed, becomes the most powerful and, frankly, doesn't care and just wants to get home. The real thing that ruins Arifureta is his stupid ability to summon guns and basically nuke any bad guys from orbit.

It actually took a while for him to sleep with everyone , he stayed faithful to his 12 year old looking, (500 year old) vampire for longer than you would think.
But then the author started giving off even stronger pedo vibes.
The author just couldn't help himself, in a recent book it's revealed that the vampire is actually just 14 years old and was in stasis for the 500 years. He also mentions how she stopped visibly aging at 12, because that is the height of female attractiveness :barf:

I did read most of them and did enjoy the progression, other then the "romance" parts.

Seraphic Neoman posted:

space mercenary:
I like this one, I just wish the author could stick the landing better. Like when I talked about weird swipes about animal rights groups, this is one of the stories that came to mind. You have a terrorist group that goes around shutting off evolutionary limiters of factory-grown meat worms so that they become Resident Evil monsters why the gently caress are you not making them one of the primary villains of the series holy poo poo.
I liked the part of this arc where the other food animal being produced look like a facehugger from aliens, but worse. And the MC is like "did i try it? Of course, I'm a Japanese person".

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

A guy pointed out that Naofumi is also really goddamn cowardly too. Any time one of his victims is a woman, he instantly gives her way more rope than necessary. Like when it came time for the princess' execution for treason he stops the proceedings and does the cringiest loving thing I ever saw in a shounen anime. It's inadvertently the perfect display chauvinism, where you see women as beneath you but also delicate fawns who cannot accept responsibility for their actions.
He's like Travis Touchdown only the narrative tries to portray him as the main character, it only succeeds because all of the other so-called heroes are pieces of poo poo.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Spanish Matlock posted:

There was a brief moment where the idea of a "normal person fights against isekai'd assholes" trope kind of took off. There's Cheat Slayer, which got shitcanned after one issue for blatantly including the protagonists of every popular isekai as the roundtable of villains. There's also Serial Killer in which a serial killer is isekaied to take care of other isekai'd people. Then there's this Cheat Eater thing which is also vaguely about killing all the isekai people.
don't forget the instant death isekai!! good times

doomrider7 posted:

Looking at this gif and man. Those capes have to be massive and it's weird to think that there's a whole industry devoted to making capes for mechs.
totally worth it imo

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

surf rock posted:

I fell behind on the show, but the LN was decent though not particularly exceptional outside of the gimmick. I did appreciate that outside of the forcefield the MC only used different types of vending machine capabilities to defeat whatever threat they were facing, but if you don't vibe with the characters then there's really nothing to keep bringing you back.

And I think that kind of thing is fine in a LN or a manga, but it's really hard to tolerate with with an anime.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I don't know why you have to make an "evil" version of an isekai protag when a lot of them are already pretty despicable people. Just correct the framing of the character and their inner scumbag will shine on its own.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jackard posted:

totally worth it imo

Oh for sure.

ianmacdo posted:

It actually took a while for him to sleep with everyone , he stayed faithful to his 12 year old looking, (500 year old) vampire for longer than you would think.
But then the author started giving off even stronger pedo vibes.
The author just couldn't help himself, in a recent book it's revealed that the vampire is actually just 14 years old and was in stasis for the 500 years. He also mentions how she stopped visibly aging at 12, because that is the height of female attractiveness :barf:

I wanna say I'm surprised, but I can't.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Nov 7, 2023

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Jackard posted:

The entire world's demographic being changed to have Japanese as a major part of the population because of all the isekai happening is amazing.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

From what I remember; at most any given kingdom will have just one Guymelef if they are lucky and those would be passed down for generations. So unless that cape is severely damaged it probably just needs patching up and general maintenance. The Evil empire who have the most mechs have the fanciest capes because theirs are also active camouflage cloaks of invisibility. But they are also the most industrialized and advanced so in addition to having legitimately new mechs I imagine the mass production of capes is done via giant looms or something. And Van's cape also doubles as the wings when his Guymelef transforms into a dragon so it's possible it produces it's own cape?

Still an industry and a crazy thing to think about. Also I think the enemy mechs are made of something like liquid metal as well which is wild.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Fereydun posted:

also surviving romance recently ended, and i really, really liked it! it's kind of spoilers to go into the premise, but it's 'someone is isekai'd into a romance story they were reading and is groundhog daying and having a Very Bad Time'

Holy poo poo this was a powerful read, thank you very much for the link I hadn't even heard of it till your post.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I'm generally not an isekai fan, so after the vending machine show experience I'd love to get a second opinion on these other shows that are in my watchlist to see if I should boot either of them:

Sonny Boy
The Executioner and Her Way of Life

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The executioner has a couple of really great twists.