Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

mind the walrus posted:

It's genuinely hard to discern who was blacklisted for being a whistleblower and who was blacklisted because they were a shithead. The two have a tendency to play in tandem and feed into one another. A lot of people who are blacklisted for having ethics become shitheads when they're treated badly, and a lot of shitheads will blow whistles when they realize it's one of their plays after being blacklisted.

And yeah the poo poo they're blowing whistles about happens at all levels to this day. Uncovering 20 year-old scandals is its own entertainment commodity business, every bit as reliable as part of the cycle as seeing properties from when you were a kid get remade as an adult.

I would not be the least bit surprised if more than one current actress or child star has been told after an incident "I know it's bad now but just wait, in 20 years when your career has cooled off and this bigwig is no longer hot, you can blow the whistle and get a second career; your account already has papers drawn up for what windfalls we can expect."

:chloe: :yikes: :staredog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Non Compos Mentis posted:

I remember there being an anteater that talked

Yeah, I liked him. There was the guy from Weekend at Bernie's. There were a bunch of cheesy music bits. Uh, there was a little girl ghost, obviously. Oh right, the guy in the coma was also the dad in Heroes.

That's most of my memories of the show right there.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Len posted:

It was in B&W on the DVDs, you could have just watched it without doing extra work

It's 2023 my dude

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Mist DVD I rented from the video store didn't have that option so I just manually tuned the saturation down and contrast up on my tube TV.

Worked like a charm.

This was over a decade ago.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

jazzyjay posted:

It's 2023 my dude

I assumed OP watched it in the before times, if they watched it in 2023 I still would have just downloaded or streamed the black and white directors cut my dude

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

jazzyjay posted:

It's 2023 my dude

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
you can make things b&w with simple monitor options.

or tv options.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Silver Bullet, Graveyard Shift, The Mangler and The Running Man are all great campy movies too.

The Running Man movie is a very loose adaption of the book. It's a great book, but hoo boy is the ending unfilmable today. And for the past.... checks notes... 22 years.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

you can make things b&w with simple monitor options.

or tv options.

FWIU it’s not quite the same, this debate came up in the days of colorization- if you watch the colorized version of a movie but turn down the color on your TV it’s not quite the same as watching the black and white version because the colorization process has an effect on the light/dark values.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Yeah I punched the levels to really crunch the blacks - I wanted a Fury Road Black and Chrome level of contrast and it worked well - the dodgy CGI looked positively seamless :D

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

mllaneza posted:

The Running Man movie is a very loose adaption of the book. It's a great book, but hoo boy is the ending unfilmable today. And for the past.... checks notes... 22 years.

Object lessons in asymmetric warfare are always fraught with peril.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

FWIU it’s not quite the same, this debate came up in the days of colorization- if you watch the colorized version of a movie but turn down the color on your TV it’s not quite the same as watching the black and white version because the colorization process has an effect on the light/dark values.

Also a lot of old black and white movies weren't just regular movies in black and white, there are specific choices you have to make in regards to lighting and color in order for a black and white movies to look good.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

muscles like this! posted:

Also a lot of old black and white movies weren't just regular movies in black and white, there are specific choices you have to make in regards to lighting and color in order for a black and white movies to look good.

Also makeup, they were slathered in blue grease paint and yellow lipstick

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

That's creepy AND kooky!

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

"I can see colours but I don't want to" - a robustly sane person

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
When you shoot something in black and white without composing the shot specifically for b&w you end up with that ugly Joss Whedon Much Ado movie he did during the last writer's strike.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

If I remember correctly (though this could be apocryphal), that's why Frankenstein's monster is portrayed as being green - 'cause in B&W that's what gave the best 'corpse-pallor' hue. They just continued with the same make-up during the transition into colour.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
There were similar stories for the makeup tests for Star Trek back in the day, since it was right when color TVs were staring to take off.

Roddenberry intended Spock to have deep red skin, until it was pointed out that on black and white screens, it would look black. So they pivoted to using a makeup color called, I poo poo you not, “Chinese Yellow,” that had a slight yellow-green tint to it in color and largely “white” in black and white.

Later, for the makeup test for the “Orion Slave Girl” character (:sigh:), they kept using greener and greener makeup, and the film kept coming back with a natural skin tone. Turns out they kept color-correcting her because they thought the green was a mistake.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

jazzyjay posted:

Yeah I punched the levels to really crunch the blacks - I wanted a Fury Road Black and Chrome level of contrast and it worked well - the dodgy CGI looked positively seamless :D

There's an official black & white release for The Mist, have you ever compared your version with theirs'?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

credburn posted:

Stephen King adaptations increase in quality the more removed he is from them.

That’s why Midnight Mass is the perfect King adaptation.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

roffels posted:

There's an official black & white release for The Mist, have you ever compared your version with theirs'?

My brain is hosed up and imagined mashing up the game Black & White with The Mist.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

My brain is hosed up and imagined mashing up the game Black & White with The Mist.

I'd play it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mllaneza posted:

Oh yeah, all it has in common is the names. Series 7: The Contenders was a much closer adaptation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Brawnfire posted:

A game where you manage and grow your horror movie monster until it can be unleased upon the world would be great

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Improbable Lobster posted:

A game where you manage and grow your horror movie monster until it can be unleased upon the world would be great

Digimon but with Godzilla, I'd play the gently caress out of that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Digimon but with Godzilla, I'd play the gently caress out of that.

They did this with Ultraman kaiju and Monster Rancher earlier this year fwiw.

Link

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

A Sometimes Food posted:

Link

last year, it came out when i was on a work trip in 2022 and i had to download at a wendys wifi because the hotels internet didn't work with the switch

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh yeah, all it has in common is the names. Series 7: The Contenders was a much closer adaptation.

And Series 7 is nothing like The Running Man. The closest movies I can think of to the novel, in tone at least, are They Live and Rollerball.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
The Running Man is a good book and has a good ending but in my copy, Stephen King opens the book by talking about the ending, completely giving it away. What the gently caress dude you're a writer

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

credburn posted:

The Running Man is a good book and has a good ending but in my copy, Stephen King opens the book by talking about the ending, completely giving it away. What the gently caress dude you're a writer

that sounds like one of the forewords that got added years later

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Jedit posted:

And Series 7 is nothing like The Running Man. The closest movies I can think of to the novel, in tone at least, are They Live and Rollerball.

It's been over 20 years since I saw Series 7 but it was a pre-Purge movie that has to make you take a lot of leaps of logic and the fear of reality destroying us all.

It wasn't very good when I watched it but maybe watching it again with some distance might make me more charitable.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Arivia posted:

that sounds like one of the forewords that got added years later

Yeah, it is, but both King and the editor/publisher should have had the presence of mind to realize that some if not most people buying the new edition of the book would be reading it for the first time, myself included.

Didn't exactly ruin it for me, I mean a book is more than its ending, but c'mon, lol. The word "SPOILERS" had indeed been invented by that point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

It's been over 20 years since I saw Series 7 but it was a pre-Purge movie that has to make you take a lot of leaps of logic and the fear of reality destroying us all.

It wasn't very good when I watched it but maybe watching it again with some distance might make me more charitable.

Series 7 is if anything media that has aged far too well. No leaps of logic are needed to explain why a TV station would be allowed to make a reality show where randomly selected members of the public have to kill one another and the only prize is getting to stop if you win three times, why parents would watch their child be beaten to death six feet away and do nothing to stop it, why a nurse is willing to commit murder but not abortion. You can just listen to Tucker Carlson.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I always get The Running Man and The Long Walk mixed up

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Running Man has aged really well and is even more timely now than it was back when it was published.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

A Sometimes Food posted:

Link

I had no idea this existed, thanks

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

The Running Man has aged really well and is even more timely now than it was back when it was published.

Sadly that's the case of a lot of 1980s dystopian literature and film. Like if anything most of the time they are too optimistic. It turns out the future was literally too horrible for anyone to even imagine.
Compare Robocop to real life.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Robocop was only wrong in that it thought the cops would also get crushed by the corpo dystopia, instead of being willing partners because they just really like being the state's monopoly on violence.

Also fewer robot cops, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Volcott posted:

Robocop was only wrong in that it thought the cops would also get crushed by the corpo dystopia, instead of being willing partners because they just really like being the state's monopoly on violence.

Also fewer robot cops, I guess.

Fewer robot cops is the reason why the cops aren't getting crushed. You'd better believe that if the corporations could automate the police and sack the humans then they would.