Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Keyboards with accommodation for pencils? At a point where I think I'd like to type, etc. but the default twelve billion dollar option by Apple don't even look to have something for the pencil. Air 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Bit of an oddball question, but hoping if someone has a niche recommendation for me. I have a company iPad and spend 99% of my time at home with it. As part of the MDM I am unable to disable the auto-lock so everytime I leave it untouched for five minutes it powers off. I have observed that when a video is playing such as with Youtube the display never goes to sleep. Does there exist some app that does something in the background to keep the screen alive but doesn't perform a higher battery draining activity like music/video playing?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TraderStav posted:

Bit of an oddball question, but hoping if someone has a niche recommendation for me. I have a company iPad and spend 99% of my time at home with it. As part of the MDM I am unable to disable the auto-lock so everytime I leave it untouched for five minutes it powers off.

Like, FULLY off? Not merely in the sleep mode?
If you can't change the lock time limit under Settings > Display and Brightness, then just play a YouTube video and tell Siri to kill the brightness. Then, when you want to use it, tell Siri to raise the brightness to whatever percentage you want

Music apps are some of the least draining you can use, assuming that closing the screen doesn't turn it off-off. Even less if you play something on local storage.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 1, 2023

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

Like, FULLY off? Not merely in the sleep mode?
If you can't change the lock time limit under Settings > Display and Brightness, then just play a YouTube video and tell Siri to kill the brightness. Then, when you want to use it, tell Siri to raise the brightness to whatever percentage you want

Music apps are some of the least draining you can use, assuming that closing the screen doesn't turn it off-off. Even less if you play something on local storage.

No, not fully off. But enough to have to hit the power button and get FaceID to unlock. May just have to play music or something if that'll do the trick. Thanks!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
What are you doing that requires the screen to be on while the iPad is idle?

As someone who manages these devices for a living, making them lock when idle for a few minutes is a really, really good thing.

This might sound a little mean, but you shouldn't be looking for ways to get around your work's security. It's their iPad, not yours. If you want one where you can disable all that poo poo, I'm sure there will be some deals for one in a few weeks.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's annoying to have to unlock your iPad if you're using it for referencing something, and need to constantly unlock it between references.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

As someone who manages these devices for a living, making them lock when idle for a few minutes is a really, really good thing.

This might sound a little mean, but you shouldn't be looking for ways to get around your work's security. It's their iPad, not yours. If you want one where you can disable all that poo poo, I'm sure there will be some deals for one in a few weeks.

The General posted:

It's annoying to have to unlock your iPad if you're using it for referencing something, and need to constantly unlock it between references.

Basically this. I'm using the iPad in my super secure basement for reference, monitoring various work chats, and such. It's an irritation, but one that I can get over.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Just put all the references in Paprika, problem solved :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Basically this. I'm using the iPad in my super secure basement for reference, monitoring various work chats, and such. It's an irritation, but one that I can get over.

Guided Access does this, if your company hasn’t disabled it: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/ipad/ipada16d1374/17.0/ipados/17.0

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Don’t listen to this corpo propagands . Do what you want with company property. If you can swindle yourself an iPad via whatever technological or bureaucratic loopholes are available to you then that owns and so do you

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jose Oquendo posted:

:lol:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
lol iPad NARCs itt

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I mean I kinda get it if it's work stuff. Intune admins are a special breed.

Okta just got breached by someone opening a personal gmail on a work laptop and LastPass got breached for the 5th time because some dumbass engineer was running a 3 year old vulnerable version of Plex.

Still, snitches get stitches.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I don’t rat on anyone but I definitely don’t help end users when asked how to get around security. I just configure poo poo the way my superiors ask. I deal with a lot of patient data so Im always more cautious when it comes to stuff like that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

We gotta abolish private property and starting with making your work iPad personal property is as good a start as any.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I'd advise against using a work device for personal. Sounds like an excellent way to get fired.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

I don’t rat on anyone but I definitely don’t help end users when asked how to get around security. I just configure poo poo the way my superiors ask. I deal with a lot of patient data so Im always more cautious when it comes to stuff like that.

I am curious if Guided Access works on the iPads you're describing, since it's a built-in accessibility tool.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

The General posted:

I'd advise against using a work device for personal. Sounds like an excellent way to get fired.

Also gotta wonder how much you trust the IT department at your employer.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Evis posted:

Also gotta wonder how much you trust the IT department at your employer.

A lot of reporting on devices is automated these days. They’ll narc on “non work categories” of activity. We had a few people in IT get caught using mouse jiggler apps from stuff like that. Basically just told them to knock it off and I think that’s all that became of it. But it’s no longer “Will they bother to look?” when tools just present reports these days.

Also why I don’t get on our company wifi with my phone. They allow people to connect (like, policy allows it) but they block VPN connections so it’s not secure.

BUUNNI
Jun 23, 2023

by Pragmatica

Jose Oquendo posted:

Lmao

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Lot of assumptions going on that I'm using the iPad for personal use. It's work apps and such and obnoxious to have to turn it back on by not keeping it activated for five minutes. That's a real short amount of time. Using it as an extra monitor to spot check emails and chats but 12 times an hour to make sure I have to keep the screen active is a slight negative on my productivity.

I decided to play a 12 hour white noise with black screen YouTube video with the sound down and have it in pip. Solves the problem.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

TraderStav posted:

Lot of assumptions going on that I'm using the iPad for personal use. It's work apps and such and obnoxious to have to turn it back on by not keeping it activated for five minutes. That's a real short amount of time. Using it as an extra monitor to spot check emails and chats but 12 times an hour to make sure I have to keep the screen active is a slight negative on my productivity.

I decided to play a 12 hour white noise with black screen YouTube video with the sound down and have it in pip. Solves the problem.

i think the most efficient would be playing a video in safari but yeah your only "practical" option here is to play a video.

however.

auto-lock is based on attention awareness. so once _your_ eyes have stopped focusing on the ipad, it starts the timer. and then once it hits the timer, it auto locks.

so the obvious solution is to create a 3d molded cast of your entire head. have it sit on the side the ipad is on and just aim it towards the ipad. your ipad will be unable to start the timer because your double will always be looking at it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

i think the most efficient would be playing a video in safari but yeah your only "practical" option here is to play a video.

however.

auto-lock is based on attention awareness. so once _your_ eyes have stopped focusing on the ipad, it starts the timer. and then once it hits the timer, it auto locks.

so the obvious solution is to create a 3d molded cast of your entire head. have it sit on the side the ipad is on and just aim it towards the ipad. your ipad will be unable to start the timer because your double will always be looking at it.

Thank you for being the first in here to provide a serious, productive, and real answer. I’m going to get on this today!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

TraderStav posted:

You know, you could just ask the IT guy if he can set it toa longer time.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

You know, you could just ask the IT guy if he can set it toa longer time.

Fortune 500 company of over 10k employees. We have no discernible "IT Guy" available to us huddled masses.

May but my bosses it support the next time I see him though. The execs get the luxury of not getting sent into a help desk hell hole when they have problems.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Fortune 500 company of over 10k employees. We have no discernible "IT Guy" available to us huddled masses.

May but my bosses it support the next time I see him though. The execs get the luxury of not getting sent into a help desk hell hole when they have problems.

seriously try guided access i feel like i'm screaming into a void here

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Arivia posted:

seriously try guided access i feel like i'm screaming into a void here

I'll give it a try. Unless I'm misunderstanding how it works I don't want to be locked into a single app. I'm using whatever the name of the feature is to have 3-4 windows arranged around and may swipe over to other apps too. But I'll see if it'll work

You're not screaming into the void, I'm just stubborn.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Follow-up: Cannot use guided access AND Stage Manager. So will not work for my use case. When I have a single app up I'll use it to resolve that issue. Thanks

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Follow-up: Cannot use guided access AND Stage Manager. So will not work for my use case. When I have a single app up I'll use it to resolve that issue. Thanks

Totally fair. Thanks for indulging me.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

TraderStav posted:

Thank you for being the first in here to provide a serious, productive, and real answer. I’m going to get on this today!

sorry :shrug: there just really isn't a way to circumvent the autolock since people _do_ want it to do it's thing. i did try to see if using a shortcut that loops a vibration to the phone interrupts the autolock timer but no luck.

only other thing is to get something conductive and have it touch the ipad every so often. otherwise video is probably the only way.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Strong Sauce posted:

sorry :shrug: there just really isn't a way to circumvent the autolock since people _do_ want it to do it's thing. i did try to see if using a shortcut that loops a vibration to the phone interrupts the autolock timer but no luck.

only other thing is to get something conductive and have it touch the ipad every so often. otherwise video is probably the only way.

I was just saying I appreciated your joke, didn't mean to come off like a dick if I did.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Strong Sauce posted:

Has anyone mentioned that you could just try guided access ?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Duckman2008 posted:

Has anyone mentioned that you could just try guided access ?

TraderStav posted:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

I was just giving a light joke for Arivia 🙂

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

This is a tough room

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

I was just giving a light joke for Arivia 🙂

:argh:

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Hah, sorry I literally just woke up. I even second guessed myself but should have triple guessed

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rafikki posted:

Hah, sorry I literally just woke up. I even second guessed myself but should have triple guessed

It's fine. Duck and I are forums friends I gave him the what for elsewhere for teasing me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone use Orion?

"Orion turns iPad into your portable external HDMI Monitor"

It's free but you need a USB-C HDMI capture card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Anyone use Orion?

"Orion turns iPad into your portable external HDMI Monitor"

It's free but you need a USB-C HDMI capture card.

I tried it because I happen to have a random usb-c to hdmi adapter but apparently it's not compatible because it refused to recognize any signal.

Also the app is kind of cheesy, it has a dumb unskippable startup chime whenever you go into the documentation and it pretends to be an old CRT when disconnected. Which I guess isn't that bad, but it's kind of a weird vibe.

Also, $5 to unlock 4k mode and CRT emulation.