Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

aledesma posted:

so we know frog boy is winning, so who is going to complete the podium? (no need to watch this race if the outcome is already predetermined)

Lando and Lewis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

One of the old cars oiled down Leclerc's pit box and they should give that car a trophy

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Kvlt! posted:

trying to learn my f1 history: why was refueling banned? Was it just "it spills"? Was the refueling ban welcome or poorly received by the drivers?

As a NASCAR/WEC fan following his first F1 season it seems so bizzare to ban refueling, I'm curious about the history of that decision

Agreed bring back refueling so Max can follow his daddy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAa6JW2rMg0

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Kvlt! posted:

trying to learn my f1 history: why was refueling banned? Was it just "it spills"? Was the refueling ban welcome or poorly received by the drivers?

As a NASCAR/WEC fan following his first F1 season it seems so bizzare to ban refueling, I'm curious about the history of that decision

The number 1 reason most things change in F1 is "cost saving." Now excuse me while I take my private helicopter to my personal go-kart track that's a 15-minute walk away.

If I remember correctly, F1 doesn't have a full time safety crew that follows the series from track to track like NASCAR or IndyCar does. So they are really dependent on the local idiots to handle things like fires and such, so there are some pretty legitimate safety concerns around refueling.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

F1 refueling rigs were stupid expensive, that was certainly part of it, but it didn't help that drivers kept driving away too soon and dragging the fuel hose down the pit lane.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Simplex posted:

The number 1 reason most things change in F1 is "cost saving." Now excuse me while I take my private helicopter to my personal go-kart track that's a 15-minute walk away.

If I remember correctly, F1 doesn't have a full time safety crew that follows the series from track to track like NASCAR or IndyCar does. So they are really dependent on the local idiots to handle things like fires and such, so there are some pretty legitimate safety concerns around refueling.

that really surprises me they don't have a full time safety crew actually, I didn't know that!

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
I think refueling also led to worse racing on track? It seems like it's better to have the decision to pit making you faster (new tyres) rather than slower (more fuel)

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

will miss the live broadcast as I'm working. but I do fireworks for a job so I'm going to just pretend that the display is for lando getting his first win after max crashes. firing time should be roughly when the race ends too.

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl

opposable thumbs.db posted:

I think refueling also led to worse racing on track? It seems like it's better to have the decision to pit making you faster (new tyres) rather than slower (more fuel)

It allows for a wider variety of strategies. Not sure what your “it makes the cars slower” argument is. They need enough fuel to finish the race either regardless of when you put it in. Not sure how that negatively affects racing.

Cost and reducing pit lane injuries seem like good enough reasons to not do it.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

aside from cost and safety, my understanding re: fueling is that f1 races are so short that once you figure out the refueling numbers it doesn't add anything to the strategy, there is not enough uncertainty. longer races like wec or indycar (esp ovals) there are more options for fuel saving strategies.

Furious George
Oct 3, 2002
I don't know if Brundle can make this grid walk any more awkward

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Furious George posted:

Guess I wasn't the only one that saw the Machine Gun Kelly segment.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

It allows for a wider variety of strategies. Not sure what your “it makes the cars slower” argument is. They need enough fuel to finish the race either regardless of when you put it in. Not sure how that negatively affects racing.

Probably because the risk of more than just one team getting hosed up by a fire and the canceling of the race (loss of revenue!) are big factors too.

Basically the downsides don't outweigh the upsides.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Furious George posted:

he did manage to crash Hinch's grid walk, looking flabbergasted as how to get around that american guy doing his job and he was jut going at a leisurely pace

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Kind of minimalist anthem.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Refueling is not coming back now because it would make the entire greenwashing song and dance look even worse, but F1 just loves messing with rules for no reason at all, like the time they banned tire changes and then Raikonnen disintegrated on track or something, not sure but not gonna look it up now

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Banging anthem. Need more simple renditions like that...

look at how happy that kid with the ukulele was...

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

PhoenixFlaccus posted:

If you require refueling then cars become slower when you pit because you're adding fuel. This means that you can't actively do anything to gain an advantage over cars around you, as opposed to "fresh tyres". But yeah there are multiple reasons

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Way better than last week when we got a bunch of kids 'singing' the anthem who weren't even miced up.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
That kid was the happiest person on the track.

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

very much enjoying the airshow coverage tbh

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Refueling is not coming back now because it would make the entire greenwashing song and dance look even worse, but F1 just loves messing with rules for no reason at all, like the time they banned tire changes and then Raikonnen disintegrated on track or something, not sure but not gonna look it up now

God I was so mad when that happened

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think a large part of taking refuelling away was the effort needed to cart the fuel rigs around to each race.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Bosscar Piastri

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Maybe Leclerc will pull ahead before the first corner like Max did in the sprint!

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

smackfu posted:

Maybe Leclerc will pull ahead before the first corner like Max did in the sprint!

It's the hope that kills you, friend

Harry Lime
Feb 27, 2008

We haven't really had a big turn one incident in a while, Stroll starting in 3rd today sure feels like good odds for one to happen today

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

LMFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Lolclerc

SocksAndSandals
Jun 6, 2011

LOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLLL

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
LOL

and let me add

LMAO

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
sdgl;kjhsdfgjhsdf m,sdfgoihsdfgng g

PhoenixFlaccus
Jul 15, 2011

KFC Famous Bowl
Passione

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

WHAT THE gently caress

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

smackfu posted:

Theophany posted:

It's the hope that kills you, friend

i mean.... loving hell guys

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Powershift posted:

LMFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO

Haha guess the F1TV feed is behind.

Red Warrior
Jul 23, 2002
Is about to die!
Checking

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:ferrari:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Lmagfo Charles