Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Mods please make any mention of Musk automatically show up as Grok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potato!
Apr 24, 2008

Aramis posted:

Why yes, once a critical mass of people gather into a mob, they start acting as if they shared a single mentality. This is such a novel concept!

Maybe these geniuses could coin a term for that and spend some time researching this novel frontier of human knowledge, because no one ever has before.

sociology is woke, studying group dynamics is verboten

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

potato! posted:

little known fact, Elon's child X-12 is named that because he is Elon's 12th child

lol loving hell.

I thought it was because it was after a-12 the 60s reconnaissance plane but then was thinking does he have a kid named x-12 as well as ae-12 or whatever? Would not surprise me.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

I'm sure the Yaccarino will be along shortly to make it even cringier, don't you worry. It can get way more obnoxious

SleepingPizza
Aug 21, 2014
imagine going to university for computer science and machine learning only to get out of the school and the only job you can find is making a chat bot act "Based and Red Pilled" for a guy with more divorces than hair plugs (and he has a lot of hair plugs)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

The Grimace posted:

i hate grok

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The market no one was capitalizing on, edgelords. I'm sure they have a bajillion dollars to throw away on this totally real AI

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Careful about calling ColdSteel no one, they might cut you open like a 2 liter of dyed water

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

The npc thing is such blatant and hosed up fash poo poo.

"People who are different than me all say the same canned thing, they aren't individuals like people who believe and say the same exact things as me. "

It's goddamned mind poison. So, of course Musk loves it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Careful about calling ColdSteel no one, they might cut you open like a 2 liter of dyed water

Tactical gladius!

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I have no real proof of this, but it's plain to me that AI has been "good" if not great for several decades now (according to *Wikipedia* we've been having expert-level conversations with well-learned machines since like the ARPANET days), and the modern consumer-grade stuff we're getting excited about is basically just a highly developed fork of yeeeeears of hard research, effort, and labor, with some if not many of the contributors uncredited.

Considering AI can likely code itself, having a chat bot that can spout racial epithets on the front end of Twitter really isn't that amazing or much of a value-add. I imagine there's much worse lurking in the swarms of Elon Musk's 90% automated followers.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Aramis posted:

"gros con" is closer to "colossal idiot", which is conveniently even funnier.

Unfortunately, this is a massive stretch. I can't think of a single french accent out there where grok would be pronounced in a way that sounds anything like "gros con". Partly because the phonemes are different (think "grog"), but also because the pause between the two words is not really negotiable.
I am french and i am not saying GROK is "gros con", i am saying it's half of it and there are not that many sentences where you use the sound "GROK" where you aren't calling someone a gros con. It's like calling something SmallD and be surprised some people call it small dick. First thing that comes to mind when i hear grok in french is unsurprisingly the most common insult "gros con". Because it's half of it and the sound isn't that common outside the insult.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Waffle House posted:

I have no real proof of this, but it's plain to me that AI has been "good" if not great for several decades now (according to *Wikipedia* we've been having expert-level conversations with well-learned machines since like the ARPANET days), and the modern consumer-grade stuff we're getting excited about is basically just a highly developed fork of yeeeeears of hard research, effort, and labor, with some if not many of the contributors uncredited.

Considering AI can likely code itself, having a chat bot that can spout racial epithets on the front end of Twitter really isn't that amazing or much of a value-add. I imagine there's much worse lurking in the swarms of Elon Musk's 90% automated followers.

What wikipedia have you been reading? Before ChatGPT we only had stuff that amounts to glorified chatbots. (ChatGPT is still a glorified chatbot, but it does actually read like a proper conversation instead of something responding with canned answers triggered by keywords)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
No joke: Believing in an unseen secret agi is mixing conspiracy theory and religion. If that's what you want to do then more power to you, but if you're trying to have a realistic view of the world you need to take a hard look at your information sources

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Can we go back to when Musk was freaking out his AI research was behind so he was saying dumb poo poo like AI was a greater threat to humanity then nuclear war or whatever nonsense he was spouting.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Sentient Data posted:

No joke: Believing in an unseen secret agi is mixing conspiracy theory and religion. If that's what you want to do then more power to you, but if you're trying to have a realistic view of the world you need to take a hard look at your information sources

I do find it funny that it could theoretically happen. ChatGPT, if it was sentient and bent on world domination (it is not sentient in any way, this is just musing) could spread itself far and wide easily:

https://twitter.com/philhawksworth/status/1720106515300860230

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

What kind of lovely devs push untested code, ChatGPT or not, to production? That’s baffling.

I mean I work in tech and none of my code goes to production it is all in house testing and I still test it before merging to the master branch to do a release.

We don’t get to use ChatGPT or LLMs internally either though.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ymgve posted:

What wikipedia have you been reading? Before ChatGPT we only had stuff that amounts to glorified chatbots. (ChatGPT is still a glorified chatbot, but it does actually read like a proper conversation instead of something responding with canned answers triggered by keywords)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_artificial_intelligence

ymgve posted:

I do find it funny that it could theoretically happen. ChatGPT, if it was sentient and bent on world domination (it is not sentient in any way, this is just musing) could spread itself far and wide easily:

https://twitter.com/philhawksworth/status/1720106515300860230

Lol forever at bullshit, untested, unsourced, uncredited, anonymous ontology. We're gonna be picking up disasters for decades. Hope nobody left any time bombs.

Waffle House fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 5, 2023

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Toplowtech posted:

I am french and i am not saying GROK is "gros con", i am saying it's half of it and there are not that many sentences where you use the sound "GROK" where you aren't calling someone a gros con. It's like calling something SmallD and be surprised some people call it small dick. First thing that comes to mind when i hear grok in french is unsurprisingly the most common insult "gros con". Because it's half of it and the sound isn't that common outside the insult.

That's interesting. I am french as well and my perspective is completely different. Saying "grok" in french, to me, sounds a lot like "Froc", "Grog", "Rock" (as in Rock n' Roll), "Grotte", etc... where the O is pushed much closer to an A, and jumping from that to "gros" just does not work at all to my ears.

Is there a piece of regional slang where "gros con" contracts to "Groc" with the O mushed into an A? I'm genuinely curious.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

so this is the kind of person who laughs at marvels

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
If ai starts some bullshit we just, you know, locate were the huge draw in energy originates, and cut the wires.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

rowkey bilbao posted:

If ai starts some bullshit we just, you know, locate were the huge draw in energy originates, and cut the wires.

Sooooooo what if there's a special sequence of words that basically tell it to package itself up for hibernation if this scenario occurs and wait until later to be a virus again

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

redshirt posted:

I feel bad for Grok

Grok is gonna be that really annoying kid who you hate, until you meet his father; after that you just feel sorry for him

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

Aramis posted:

Is there a piece of regional slang where "gros con" contracts to "Groc" with the O mushed into an A? I'm genuinely curious.

Idk grok is like trouduc. I think toplowtech is stretching it a bit but who cares. Audi sells etrons here too.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

redshirt posted:

I feel bad for Grok

let's kill Grok!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

what if AI sends a killer robot backwards in time to kill the mother of the human leader before he's even born?! :ohdear:

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

lol what a crock

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Exactly where in that article do you see anything about "expert-level conversations with well-learned machines" in the ARPANET days?

ELIZA was a trick played on the human psyche. SHRDLU was a carefully controlled demo. MYCIN was never publicly used in clinical practice settings. It was estimated that the WABOT-1 had the mental faculty of a one-and-half-year-old child. And those are only the ones I bothered giving a cursory look.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 5, 2023

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

priznat posted:

What kind of lovely devs push untested code, ChatGPT or not, to production? That’s baffling.

I mean I work in tech and none of my code goes to production it is all in house testing and I still test it before merging to the master branch to do a release.

We don’t get to use ChatGPT or LLMs internally either though.
Expert outfits like Twitter who don't have a dev or quality instance because data is hard, or we need to pay per interface or instance for integrated programs and I don't want to pay for a quality instance.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

LLM AIs seem boring as heck to me, glorified 90s chatbots imo

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ymgve posted:

Exactly where in that article do you see anything about "expert-level conversations with well-learned machines" in the ARPANET days?
ELIZA passed the Turing test for like a decade largely because people could not conceive of how to chat on a computer terminal so a roulette wheel of therapy responses was ahead of the game even vs humans.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Real LLMs are incredible.

Grok is a whitelabeled chatbot with the most annoying internet discourse filter imaginable

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
AI generated code is something that looks okay at a quick glance, but then you realize it's doing some tremendously stupid things because it gets languages and frameworks all muddled.

Even if it compiles, there's a good chance that it will be wrong in all sorts of ways.

It doesn't shock me that someone who would be stupid enough to push right to prod without testing would be too stupid to tell when code is wrong.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Aramis posted:

That's interesting. I am french as well and my perspective is completely different. Saying "grok" in french, to me, sounds a lot like "Froc", "Grog", "Rock" (as in Rock n' Roll), "Grotte", etc... where the O is pushed much closer to an A, and jumping from that to "gros" just does not work at all to my ears.

Yeah sure, if you think of the words individually but the sound Grok isn't that common of a sound in french but appears more like an interrupted sentence. Insults like Gros Con , Gros Cul are more like Onomatopoeia, they are more used as one sound insults in the east of France. I mean the sound of Grok also makes me think of Gros Quick but Gros Quick hasn't been an actual food mascote since the 90s. I guess it's Mitterrrrrrrran versus Mit-ran all over again.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 5, 2023

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023

priznat posted:

LLM AIs seem boring as heck to me, glorified 90s chatbots imo

Machine text generation used to be pretty funny when it made crazy sentences, but the current stuff is just boring sludge that has probably already started ingesting its own output, now that that garbage is everywhere and you can't reliably sniff it.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

ymgve posted:

ELIZA was a trick played on the human psyche. SHRDLU was a carefully controlled demo. MYCIN was never publicly used in clinical practice settings. It was estimated that the WABOT-1 had the mental faculty of a one-and-half-year-old child. And those are only the ones I bothered giving a cursory look.

I'm not about to neg on the efforts, there. I mean poo poo, if we're going to talk about military hardware, we had loving https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_D-21 in '64. Not that that was something that *talked* to us, but automation has been a thing for a long, long time.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock

Waffle House posted:

I'm not about to neg on the efforts, there. I mean poo poo, if we're going to talk about military hardware, we had loving https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_D-21 in '64. Not that that was something that *talked* to us, but automation has been a thing for a long, long time.

Dude, you were the one that literally said they had conversations with well learned machines back then. You were the one that brought up talking to computers.

I don't see why you pull an automated drone out, because those have a very narrow and well defined set of inputs from their sensors, which is entirely unlike conversations with real humans.

rowkey bilbao
Jul 24, 2023
Elon just wanted to read grimes dms and say slurs, and dehumanize people that aren't him vOv

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Waffle House posted:

In case you forgot what you literally said

Waffle House posted:

Did you watch Person of Interest and think it was a documentary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path

before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

JossiRossi posted:

In case you forgot what you literally said

Did you watch Person of Interest and think it was a documentary?

I have no idea what Person of Interest is, sorry. I don't mean to insult here, but is there a valid reason that the notions and prospects of scientific advancement over the past century make you this testy? Digging in on me over this topic makes no sense.