Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Henchman of Santa posted:

I don’t think Jack is claiming that these stories really happened because he vetted guests. It’s that the guests sincerely believe they experienced the paranormal even if they obviously went through something else like a weird wet dream.

Yeah that's how I took it - that he was trying to weed out people that were totally making poo poo up to get on the pod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

It’s the old ethnographic method where you treat it as real to them, because to do otherwise just makes you one more scoffing imperialist who will never get closer to actual understanding because you insist on this rational arms-length remove.

It’s pretty confusing to freshmen in college so I can see where goons get hung up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah some of my best experiences were just meeting someone weird and letting them drag me along on some adventure. it's okay to be a lil credulous in pursuit of a good story or human connection. art bell knew

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
These experiences are real to them, and that’s why the show is interesting! Why does the human brain make some people see a shadow figure???

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
In the choice between imperialist and whiny high pitched voice guy guesting on a podcast, I choose the third way

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I didn't know I'd be rewarded with a spooky John Cass for sticking it out

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

complaining about a guest's voice on chapo trap house is interesting

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Power Walrus posted:

These experiences are real to them, and that’s why the show is interesting! Why does the human brain make some people see a shadow figure???

goons think theyre better than everyone smh

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Episode was fun but I had a big laugh about the sudden death/brain talk at the end there. "Oh your brain can just think something real and shut down?" Yeah bitch your brain is your entire existence and how you interpret existence.

This guy never done drugs before? Yeah you can make your brain believe a lot of poo poo is really happening that isnt.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you're so cool and reasonable I'd like to hear the skeptic's explanation for the hat man.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I do the hard work vetting these guys, I can trust my instincts. Also if you think these are bullshit you are the same as a reddit atheist.

Lowtax was bad, so now we all have to admit that The Ultimate Warrior was right about the spirit mothership.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

net work error posted:

If you're so cool and reasonable I'd like to hear the skeptic's explanation for the hat man.

That one's real if you do enough benadryl it's some From Beyond poo poo.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Anyways oracle desert radio is good spooky podcast with people who are just chill and curious about stuff instead of weirdly aggro about it

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

terrorist ambulance posted:

Anyways oracle desert radio is good spooky podcast with people who are just chill and curious about stuff instead of weirdly aggro about it

can second this, desert oracle rocks

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I want a podcast exclusively about real stories of people getting hosed by supernatural creatures.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=npswv7Zh8sg&pp=ygUbTWFuIHJhcGVkIGJ5IGZlbWFsZSBiaWdmb290

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-art-bell-archive/id1679032756

anything from 90s art bell is amazing, i'm glad someone is keeping up with archiving old shows

highly recommended if anyone here never listened to coast2coast before it went to poo poo

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'll check it out, was looking for mroe spooky stuff.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

i say swears online posted:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-art-bell-archive/id1679032756

anything from 90s art bell is amazing, i'm glad someone is keeping up with archiving old shows

highly recommended if anyone here never listened to coast2coast before it went to poo poo

this is the most comprehensive archive I'm aware of at the moment: https://the-eye.eu/public/Radio/Coast%20to%20Coast%20AM/The%20Ultimate%20Art%20Bell%20Collection/Shows/

there was an rss feed that I think had all the same files but whoever was hosting it shut it down not long ago

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The REAL Goobusters posted:

goons think theyre better than everyone smh

I am better than people that think ghosts are real

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Post hunters and its zak bagans searching this thread for proof of good posts (he's unsuccessful)

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

My posts are good.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

That one's real if you do enough benadryl it's some From Beyond poo poo.

Benadryl psychosis is actually warping into a parallel dimension

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I do the hard work vetting these guys, I can trust my instincts. Also if you think these are bullshit you are the same as a reddit atheist.

you are

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I am better than people that think ghosts are real

like how can you make this post and not think you're the "reddit atheist" everyone is talking about lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

if thats where the line has moved to then i will gladly plant my flag there

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
believing in things is cool

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I wonder what the Venn diagram is for people who think ghosts are real but the moon landing is fake

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

if thats where the line has moved to then i will gladly plant my flag there

You are such a Reddit atheist

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Breaking a concrete slab in my basement like John Wick to reveal a fedora and a copy of The God Delusion

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can we at least all come together in saying witchcraft is FAIL???

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
what do you think a "reddit atheist" is if not someone saying "I think I am better than people who believe things I do not" lol

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

what do you think a "reddit atheist" is if not someone saying "I think I am better than people who believe things I do not" lol

I think there's a difference between being slightly smug about not believing in a superstition and being an r/atheism guy. TheAmazingAtheist (is he still around?) is probably the ideal embodiment of the stereotype.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
Yeah I don’t know why this thread and CSPAM podcast thread are worked up over the concept of people discussing weird, unexplainable poo poo that happened to them. I don’t believe in the supernatural, but I dunno, it’s cool to hear a spooky story once in a while.

Cryptids are stupid, tho.

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

Except electoralism.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

to answer seriously im being glib while posting. my joke is aimed the people who will take you hostage at a party and tell you about how their dead dad haunts them and they know because they heard a noise and the clock was the same as his birthday!

I've had sleep paralysis, I've literally seen an entity in my room threatening me while my chest feels likes its being caved in and my entire body strains to move, and i've terrified a girlfriend by screaming at the top of my lungs when the paralysis ended. If you don't know what that is, its entirely sensible and understandable to attribute it to ghosts, demons, aliens, whatever. im not making fun of those people.

religion is massive social force tied into culture, politics, governments, ethnicity, and a million other things. reddit atheists are the ones that will denigrate entire cultures or whatever, often dipping deep into islamophobia and outright racism. one cannot positively prove there is no god. Reddit atheists are the ones that claim otherwise. Will stated the position of the vast majority of atheists; that there is no reason to believe the currently proposed deities, but maybe something will change. For example if an amputee gets healed i'll line right up for whichever deity did that.

ghosts on the other hand are folk tales, often directly contradicting the popular religions of any area. there is nothing in Christianity that allows for souls to just not go to heaven or hell. there is no good reason to have such a belief, especially in an age where every single person has a camera on them at all times, along with a plethora of home security systems. yet all of the supposed documentations of hauntings are either blatant fakes, easily explained phenomena, or something unknown but still more plausibly explained by any earthly means than "an incorporeal entity that confirms the existence of a soul made a drawer open"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

WoodrowSkillson posted:

to answer seriously im being glib while posting. my joke is aimed the people who will take you hostage at a party and tell you about how their dead dad haunts them and they know because they heard a noise and the clock was the same as his birthday!

I've had sleep paralysis, I've literally seen an entity in my room threatening me while my chest feels likes its being caved in and my entire body strains to move, and i've terrified a girlfriend by screaming at the top of my lungs when the paralysis ended. If you don't know what that is, its entirely sensible and understandable to attribute it to ghosts, demons, aliens, whatever. im not making fun of those people.

religion is massive social force tied into culture, politics, governments, ethnicity, and a million other things. reddit atheists are the ones that will denigrate entire cultures or whatever, often dipping deep into islamophobia and outright racism. one cannot positively prove there is no god. Reddit atheists are the ones that claim otherwise. Will stated the position of the vast majority of atheists; that there is no reason to believe the currently proposed deities, but maybe something will change. For example if an amputee gets healed i'll line right up for whichever deity did that.

ghosts on the other hand are folk tales, often directly contradicting the popular religions of any area. there is nothing in Christianity that allows for souls to just not go to heaven or hell. there is no good reason to have such a belief, especially in an age where every single person has a camera on them at all times, along with a plethora of home security systems. yet all of the supposed documentations of hauntings are either blatant fakes, easily explained phenomena, or something unknown but still more plausibly explained by any earthly means than "an incorporeal entity that confirms the existence of a soul made a drawer open"

drat bro that's crazy but who asked

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He's too powerful!

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1721574267186274452?s=20

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Not even blue checks are safe from becoming felix reply guys

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I love that the replies are begging for an intern for Felix's account to give pity likes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

I love that the replies are begging for an intern for Felix's account to give pity likes

Millions for guest and interviews, not one cent for pity likes!