Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

fr0id posted:

important for communication and common ground, duh. almost no one likes the hard science guy who says every superstition is bullshit and ghosts are just our brains loving up. even in therapy for people with schizophrenia you get nowhere by arguing and challenging delusions. They’re important because a ton of people believe in them and even if you want an ideal society that doesn’t you have to carefully consider how you change those beliefs.

every superstition is bullshit and ghosts are just our brains loving up

believing otherwise is idealism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

ya the single mother crustpunk furry was an upgrade imho

she seems fun :unsmigghh:

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Frosted Flake posted:

That's a good point. Statistically, rather than spooky (and recognizable) 19th century ghosts, there'd be a lot of medieval peasants and Bronze Age farmers speaking incomprehensible languages. In the Americas, it would be the ghost of some guy who died hunting a megafauna long before the Native American societies we're familiar with even emerged.

I think trying to apply entropy to the idea of ghosts is incredibly dumb. entropy of memory sure. with a few exceptions we remember very few people from the past. it’s not a coincidence that places frequented by major historical figures are “more haunted” because we can assign our experiences to those people more easily. but like sitting and trying to say “well ghosts must decay similar to everything else” is like wondering about bathrooms in heaven.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

tokin opposition posted:

I don’t disagree but that’s not a popular position and not one that gets you many friends.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

ghosts are real like the dollar is real or the government is real. it’s a consensus thing that you can argue against but it’s just going to be trouble for yourself.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

tokin opposition posted:

Ironic, a Marxist decries superstition when a major tenet of Marxism is that there's a giant ghost.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

tokin opposition posted:

there was some weird moment where they complain about reddit atheists and how they place their belief in "the system", but like, that is still more dignified than believing that there are warlocks and wee little men that you have to give offerings to or they'll give you a handjob

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

fr0id posted:

ghosts are real like the dollar is real or the government is real. it’s a consensus thing that you can argue against but it’s just going to be trouble for yourself.

The system we use to denote monetary values and the institutions that make up our society are material and ghosts are not.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Fortaleza posted:

The system we use to denote monetary values and the institutions that make up our society are material and ghosts are not.

money is real and also completely social and therefore immaterial and in brains like ghosts. most money is numbers on computers with social significance, it only exists because people exist that think it exists

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Fortaleza posted:

We’ve got lots of systems to denote spiritual value and institutions dedicated to ghosts and ghost-like phenomena and they’re all real too.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

A server holding numbers is real. It takes people to keep them running, replace their parts and secure them against other people. The social significance we grant to those numbers is real, but they can be trivially reprogrammed to do other things, like make seven fingered artistic abortions, calculate optimum production levels of material goods, fold proteins for research, or do other actually useful things if and when the social need changes.

Churches, unfortunately, are real, but are usually far too specially designed to be used for much else and instead squat on prime real estate for those that the enlightenment passed by.

In conclusion kill and eat god.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Ironic, a Marxist decries superstition when a major tenet of Marxism is that there's a giant ghost.

the greatest reddit post of all time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

wanna see that troll's username 'cause i'm sure it's pretty good

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

the greatest reddit post of all time

I love this sort of thing. Like giving The Usual Suspects 5 stars while complaining that they never reveal who Keyser Soze is

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

tokin opposition posted:

A server holding numbers is real. It takes people to keep them running, replace their parts and secure them against other people. The social significance we grant to those numbers is real, but they can be trivially reprogrammed to do other things, like make seven fingered artistic abortions, calculate optimum production levels of material goods, fold proteins for research, or do other actually useful things if and when the social need changes.

Churches, unfortunately, are real, but are usually far too specially designed to be used for much else and instead squat on prime real estate for those that the enlightenment passed by.

In conclusion kill and eat god.

The positivists failure to under the raw power of collective will, as exemplified by ghosts and money being real, will always doom their attempts to shape humanity into some perfect rational future. less because humans are irrational (although true and good) but more because they refuse to acknowledge the most powerful forces in society and thus will never wield them.

if one doesn’t believe in the power of mass belief you will never be able to convince the masses to believe in one’s visions

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
ghost sucked me off

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Frosted Flake posted:

That's a good point. Statistically, rather than spooky (and recognizable) 19th century ghosts, there'd be a lot of medieval peasants and Bronze Age farmers speaking incomprehensible languages. In the Americas, it would be the ghost of some guy who died hunting a megafauna long before the Native American societies we're familiar with even emerged.

Those ghosts would be below ground by now and only bother archeologists and basement dwellers.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

The positivists failure to under the raw power of collective will, as exemplified by ghosts and money being real, will always doom their attempts to shape humanity into some perfect rational future. less because humans are irrational (although true and good) but more because they refuse to acknowledge the most powerful forces in society and thus will never wield them.

if one doesn’t believe in the power of mass belief you will never be able to convince the masses to believe in one’s visions

Ok you convert the ghosts and demons to Marxism then, good luck have fun

Zorn
Oct 24, 2000

Shipon posted:

i blame economics for calling itself a science and lying so thoroughly and embedding itself in political projects that have ruined society that it's ruined peope's faith in science's role in public life entirely

My hobby horse is calling out the fake "Nobel" prize in economics. There is no such thing, and I will go to my grave happy if that valor-stealing, false, ideological project is treated with the contempt it deserves.

Also – while I'm airing wild opinions – the Air Force is unconstitutional and it should be dissolved and the badges of rank stripped from every religious weirdo that it counts as a member.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Ghosts are real but living people project their own self interest on them. You think someone's immortal transcendent spirit is there to hang out with you?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Dokapon Findom posted:

Ghosts are real but living people project their own self interest on them. You think someone's immortal transcendent spirit is there to hang out with you?

That djinn giving out handys was.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'll haunt all of you when I'm a spooky ghost.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm the guy who believes ghosts aren't real but interdimensional bigfoot is

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Zorn posted:

Also – while I'm airing wild opinions – the Air Force is unconstitutional and it should be dissolved and the badges of rank stripped from every religious weirdo that it counts as a member.

that's not wild it's literally not in the constitution

they can go back to being a department of the army

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

I think the kinda obnoxious thing about the recent Jack Wagner Chapo is that he feels the need to get defensive. Telling fun stories is good, but it's embarrassing how he's like "these people are serious and NOT kooky, trust me!" Just be like "here's this wild story" instead of feeling a need to emphasize its veracity in ways that accomplish the complete opposite.

Seems like the kind of guy you could rope into an MLM as long as you were a normal-looking person who's like "I get that that there's a lot of really scammy stuff out there, but this isn't like that"

Yeah I had to drop this pod for that reason. I like a good spooky story even if it's not particularly believable, but I don't need to be told by anyone that I should be taking this poo poo seriously. Too many of the stories were just obvious sleep paralysis. I don't even know why you'd bother sharing those.

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

lmao

https://x.com/GhostStoriesEnd/status/1721210794451357946?s=20

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

fr0id posted:

important for communication and common ground, duh. almost no one likes the hard science guy who says every superstition is bullshit and ghosts are just our brains loving up. even in therapy for people with schizophrenia you get nowhere by arguing and challenging delusions. They’re important because a ton of people believe in them and even if you want an ideal society that doesn’t you have to carefully consider how you change those beliefs.

hearing other peoples ghost stories sucks poo poo on the same level as talking about dreams

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

need to know Bobby Evans take on the conflict

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm the guy who believes ghosts aren't real but interdimensional bigfoot is

It's sad that the Bigfoot Industrial Complex has a lid on the truth because it's more profitable keeping it a mystery

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

my bony fealty posted:

need to know Bobby Evans take on the conflict

I dunno, what does the CIA have to say about it?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
my professional opinion is that ghosts are real

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i believe ghosts are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
so funny to hear Nick and Adam come back to life the minute they can start doing fat jokes about Amy Schumer

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

so funny to hear Nick and Adam come back to life the minute they can start doing fat jokes about Amy Schumer

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

"ghosts are real, and are a social construct" seems more condescending than just saying "ghosts aren't real"

Extremely funny that the COOLZONE MEDIA community has a worse stance on Palestine than the celeb gossip subreddit. Over there they have been roasting Amy Schumer and cheering on celebs calling for an end to the genocide.

Although they've implement restrictions on speech which anarchists would probably call authoritarian:

quote:

This post is currently restricted so that only approved members can comment or post. Please note that your comment may be approved if the moderators feel it adds to the discussion.

To be added as an approved member, please message the mods via modmail by clicking here. We are currently only approving users who have a recent comment history on this sub and do not have a history of rule violations.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol even the funny fail videos subreddit (therewasanattempt) changed their banner to a palestinian flag and turned into an anti-zionist group

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
ghosts are a vibe

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

"ghosts are real, and are a social construct" seems more condescending than just saying "ghosts aren't real"

ghost are just another symptom of living in late-capitalist hellworld!!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

the fact ghosts just don’t go spinning off into space because the planet is actually moving 100k km / hr means they are affected by gravity therefore have a physical body

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

the fact ghosts just don’t go spinning off into space because the planet is actually moving 100k km / hr means they are affected by gravity therefore have a physical body

Finally found the WIMPs