Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Bloober are aight and they've just become a studio that's been bandwagon hated on for whatever reason. If a modern studio was going to remake Silent Hill 2 they're a perfectly fine choice.

The amount of hate might be a knee-jerk reaction to their projects receiving weird amounts of attention, but I would not call their games fine. Their titles range from walking sims to just being boring and samey throughout the whole games, and the less said about the messaging the better.
I watched supergreatfriend play through Layers of Fear and I think all my faith in them evaporated the moment player encounters a brick wall with words "CREATIVE BLOCK" written on it. SH2 isn't subtle, but this is a political cartoon parody.

It remains to be seen how much they change, but I absolutely believe that if there are changes, they'll gently caress up the game. Silent Hill 2 is pretty drat good about dealing with trauma, but Bloober has proven to not understand anything about it despite them trying to copy Silent Hill for years now.

I'll be honest, I do kinda want them to go all out and try to recreate one of the best games ever using their vision, because straight-up remakes are incredibly boring, and I'd be all in for a shitshow. Of course, they're free to prove me wrong and make the best Silent Hill game ever made, but they've been trying to do so with most of their titles and they certainly haven't succeeded yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Enemabag Jones posted:

I'd be really hard pressed to pin down a bad thing Rutger Hauer's ever been involved in and I've seen Blind Fury multiple times. Observer is fine. Definitely my favorite Bloober joint, with Blair Witch kicking up second only because Bullet's a real good boy.

Rutger Hauer has been involved in plenty of poo poo, he just generally elevated it enough that you could ignore the poo poo (I think it's Blast where he plays an American Indian in a wheelchair but you don't know either of those things until near the movies climax because he's shot in shadow from odd angles).

I think towards the end of his career and life he did a few projects where he very clearly wasn't that bothered about being there (the Alien audioplay where he's playing a disembodied Ash is one), and there's bits of Observer where he's not at his best. It IS still the best Bloober.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Fil5000 posted:

Rutger Hauer has been involved in plenty of poo poo, he just generally elevated it enough that you could ignore the poo poo (I think it's Blast where he plays an American Indian in a wheelchair but you don't know either of those things until near the movies climax because he's shot in shadow from odd angles).

I think towards the end of his career and life he did a few projects where he very clearly wasn't that bothered about being there (the Alien audioplay where he's playing a disembodied Ash is one), and there's bits of Observer where he's not at his best. It IS still the best Bloober.

The first time I played layers of fear the game locked me in a room with a puzzle I literally couldn't complete because I needed an item from outside of the room I was now locked inside of.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bloober games have some okay visuals but their actual writing and scares are not good and they are obsessed with trying to scare you, in the sense that they do not know how to just let things breathe for a bit. observer is definitely one of their better games but also 90% of why is just because of rutger hauer, the actual scares in it are comically bad and the ending is just kind of stupid. they and frictional are kind of polar opposites and honestly if there's any studio i might kinda trust with a silent hill 2 remake it's frictional, just because frictional is way better at letting the atmosphere of their games breathe a bit and writing-wise they're good at doing stuff that avoids feeling too stupid or cheap, pretty character-driven and thematically nuanced in a way none of the bloober games i've looked at are. i don't want bloober team to die or anything but they're a studio that's well into exactly the kind of trashier aspects of horror that i just do not jive with and that silent hill 2 fundamentally is not about, if you asked me who i think should helm a piece of relatively low key psychological horror heavily centered around its exploration of and empathy for a small group of people in a very bad place mentally, i would not say it's the people who made a game where you almost get killed by a giant game of 3d tetris. let them make a nightmare on elm street game or something instead

i do think bloober is a studio that could be good, they're like, halfway to knowing how to make a decent horror game, there's enough there that i get why anyone would get enjoyment out of them. it's just comical how the exact same problems bring down their games every single time

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Nov 5, 2023

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly im not that into re7 and 8 because i do actually prefer the more overtly campy stuff of the rest of the series that they're kinda avoiding in these bits, but it's funny that those are two games in the horror game series famously known for turning into shooters about the meatiest heads banding together to punch all zombies and evil manufacturers of zombies into the depths of justice, and both of those games have bits where they largely do the kind of stuff bloober team is going for a lot better. wouldn't say the uh, eve plotline is better written than what you'd see in a bloober game specifically that part is weirdly just as bad and maybe the most actively unpleasant bit of writing in the entire series, but they're better at doing freaky first person horror that's, kind of cheesy and dumb, but paced out and executed well enough that even the dumber scares actually work and don't just feel like the game throwing its fist inches in front of your face and considering it a scare that you blinked.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Colonel posted:

honestly im not that into re7 and 8 because i do actually prefer the more overtly campy stuff of the rest of the series that they're kinda avoiding in these bits, but it's funny that those are two games in the horror game series famously known for turning into shooters about the meatiest heads banding together to punch all zombies and evil manufacturers of zombies into the depths of justice, and both of those games have bits where they largely do the kind of stuff bloober team is going for a lot better. wouldn't say the uh, eve plotline is better written than what you'd see in a bloober game specifically that part is weirdly just as bad and maybe the most actively unpleasant bit of writing in the entire series, but they're better at doing freaky first person horror that's, kind of cheesy and dumb, but paced out and executed well enough that even the dumber scares actually work and don't just feel like the game throwing its fist inches in front of your face and considering it a scare that you blinked.

?

8 was campier than like any RE other than 4. That game introduces the villains to you like they're loving COBRA.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Bloober games are fine and some are even good. They're just popular to hate on for social points

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Nov 5, 2023

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

House Beneviento exceeded anything scary Bloober ever put out, and that was just one level in a game otherwise about killing werewolves and vampires.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Apparently Bloober Team had a canceled iOS game called "Gender Wars". Talk about true horror! :haw:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
stray souls was also from ex-bloober staff and apparently one of the worst games of the year

they’re serial plagiarists who know nothing about game design even on the level of walking simulators

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Read After Burning posted:

Apparently Bloober Team had a canceled iOS game called "Gender Wars". Talk about true horror! :haw:

Gah!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Bloober games are fine and some are even good. They're just popular to hate on for social points

This is just the new "Sonic was never good, actually!" I take it?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Strawberry Panda posted:

I liked the movies in immortality and the backstage scenes but the hidden story was a mess that I didn't pay attention to at all.

I played about half of the game and then realized I wasn't going to finish it. So I looked up a plot summary online and spent 10 minutes thinking there was a different game with the exact same name.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Nuebot posted:

This is just the new "Sonic was never good, actually!" I take it?

That's clearly not true though, Sonic Adventure is the perfect game :colbert:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I enjoyed immortality and the first couple of times I got the different, weird actress in the same scene stuff I was genuinely spooked although ultimately I felt the whole ageless vampire plot was better as pure vibes compared to its actual story that somehow involves jesus christ and that you are ultimately going to get your body taken over thing

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

Pyramid Head's helmet is knocked off during the final battle, revealing Alex Shepherd's face.

SH2 was a sequel to Homecoming aaaaaaaaaallllllllll along.

There are at least 2 Pyramid Heads so James and Alex can be one each. That's the real twist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

one pyramid head is the dog and the other is the alien

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The man who would become Pyramid Head once stepped on a D4 in his bare feet, and--much like Christians did with the crucifix--decided to turn an instrument of painful torture into his public image

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Speaking of Barlow, I've only played Telling Lies, and it was Fine? Not a horror game and depending on how you investigate, the "twists" are super obvious (I hear this is common with his games), but I was intrigued to find out was going on.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The man who would become Pyramid Head once stepped on a D4 in his bare feet, and--much like Christians did with the crucifix--decided to turn an instrument of painful torture into his public image

Man, I want more D4 from Swery. :smith:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Like all of their output until Layers of Fear, this was a shameless and badly made ripoff of an older game.

wait did I say until

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Man, I want more D4 from Swery. :smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is there any reason to think bloober is just rewriting silent hill 2 or are we just rehashing the jokes y'all made years ago when Twitter first started telling you that this was going to be a game?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Len posted:

Is there any reason to think bloober is just rewriting silent hill 2 or are we just rehashing the jokes y'all made years ago when Twitter first started telling you that this was going to be a game?

The official Amazon page for this game lists “the return of fan favorite pyramid head and a special origin story” so chances are very, very high they’re going to rub their poo poo on it

rox
Sep 7, 2016

i get all my gaming sneak peaks from amazon listings

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestonJew posted:

The official Amazon page for this game lists “the return of fan favorite pyramid head and a special origin story” so chances are very, very high they’re going to rub their poo poo on it

this started before that was posted though

Jerma985 posted:

i get all my gaming sneak peaks from amazon listings

it's where all pro leakers can get their confirmed news from, that's why i've got the metroid prime trilogy on my switch

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think it's pretty reasonable to look at someone's past body of work and conclude they aren't up to a difficult adaptation.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Night10194 posted:

I think it's pretty reasonable to look at someone's past body of work and conclude they aren't up to a difficult adaptation.

to an extent sure, and konami doesn't exactly have a great track record, but do we have any sort of confirmation beyond "LOL BLOOBER" that they're just going to rewrite the entire game? because that's what people seem to think they're going to do

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Kind of like how when the remake trailer showed James grabbing the noose in the prison segment and a few people in the thread were like 'that's so heavy handed and stupid, total bloober' but yeah, naw, that was in the original too.

I really do think some people just want it to be bad so they can hate Bloober even more, but on the other hand there have been red flags here and there. Not to even mention the weirdness that is the Silent Hill fanbase. It's so incredibly negative. We hate everything new, but we also crave new games. We want new information but everything we've seen we immediately tore apart on social media. So...idk :shrug:

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 5, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SH2 has achieved a sort of mythological status so many people are probably doubtful that Bloober would do a good job remaking it, but on the other hand every 10 dollar Steam trash horror game is already a bad SH2 imitation, so there's nothing that could surprise me.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
as said further up, if it had been handed off to someone like frictional then there'd be a lot more honest curiosity about it - amnesia: the bunker was a brilliant little piece of design that innovated on the formula frictional themselves popularized with the first entry. but bloober are one of the worst AA devs in the entire industry and one of the worst horror devs period, the latter being a spectacular accomplishment in a genre so clogged with garbage, so instead any public attention on their work consists of how they're going to gently caress it up this time

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

It's in a weird position where the best case scenario is it's just okay. There's literally nothing they can do to change, improve, or update the game that won't piss someone off and Bloober is historically bad at handling the kind of horror that made the game popular. It's fun to watch a trainwreck in progress, don't read too much into it.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm sure it'll be bad but the fanfic people gotta write about the ways it will be bad and have since it was announced is extremely embarrassing.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Oxxidation posted:

as said further up, if it had been handed off to someone like frictional then there'd be a lot more honest curiosity about it - amnesia: the bunker was a brilliant little piece of design that innovated on the formula frictional themselves popularized with the first entry. but bloober are one of the worst AA devs in the entire industry and one of the worst horror devs period, the latter being a spectacular accomplishment in a genre so clogged with garbage, so instead any public attention on their work consists of how they're going to gently caress it up this time

I don't disagree with you much story wise, they always whiff the ending (which is kind of a horror staple anyway, but they could absolutely improve there), but they can nail a vibe. Blair Witch and Observer, for instance. Worst period minimizes the things they are actually good at. Anecdotally, I never hear as much hate for Bloober as I do Twitter and here.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It would be one thing if anyone could remember a decent Silent Hill game but it is functionally dead as a franchise, has been for almost 20 years, and Konami is not going to put any effort into reviving it. So anything Bloober team does with their remake can't possibly make it worse (famous last words here).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm sure it'll be bad but the fanfic people gotta write about the ways it will be bad and have since it was announced is extremely embarrassing.

since it was announced? the thread started writing bad fanfic in 2021 according to search

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
what about either Bloober Team, or how the SH revival project has been going so far, or Konami's history in the last few years have justified any benefit of the doubt

other than Konami's excellent Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel of course

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

what about either Bloober Team, or how the SH revival project has been going so far, or Konami's history in the last few years have justified any benefit of the doubt

other than Konami's excellent Yu-Gi-Oh! Master Duel of course

what part of this threads track record for slamming opinions makes you think it's trustworthy?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
who do you think you're impressing with this weird crusade

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Len posted:

what part of this threads track record for slamming opinions makes you think it's trustworthy?

im going to slam an opinion into your rib cage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

who do you think you're impressing with this weird crusade

it's more fun than housework :shrug: